2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Do You Have A Practice Club?

I’ve been using a practice club for a month now and it’s definitely helped my ball striking/keeping me in check on my grip. I think I just need to change the shaft to the same shaft I have in my regular Iron.

Do you guys have practice clubs? Why or Why not.

regular iron-Takomo 101 Hollow Body

practice iron- Titleist 714 Muscle Back

IMG_8889.jpeg

IMG_8888.jpeg

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

Driver- Cobra LTDX 9° Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue Stiff 60 G

3 Wood- Cobra LTDX 15° Project X HZRDUS Smoke IM10 Stiff 60G

3 Hybrid-Cobra LTDX 19° KBS PGI Stiff 85 G

4-PW-Takomo 101 KBS C Taper Lite X Stiff 115G

Wedges- Mizuno T22 Blue Ion 60°,54°,50° Dynamic Gold S300

Putter-Mizuno MCraft V Blue Ion Claw 2.0 Superstroke Grip

Ball- Callaway Chrome Soft

My practice clubs are the ones I play with because I want to have consistency between practice and playing and not adjusting to something different.

Never understood the concept of having a practice club that was anything but the clubs that get used on the course.

doubt you’ll find any high level players who have a practice club

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I do have a second active set that could sort of be looked at as practice clubs.

They're hickory shafted replicas by Louisville Golf that are not very forgiving, but 
they force you to concentrate and play inside yourself.  Even with modern balls, with period correct balls for the clubs not being available, they do make the game a little harder.

Mainly,
they seem to impart more unintentional sidespin than modern clubs, so they tell you if your swing plain isn't quite where you think it is.  Also, club number for club number, they require more loft to elevate the ball--they're much higher lofted--so you're hitting longer clubs to hit the same shots, and longer clubs also reveal mistakes more...as do the torquier wooden shafts.

Still, I can't really say that I'm playing them to practice.  I take them out a few times a year just for fun.  Hitting the ball in the center of the face does feel pretty awesome, and that also encourages you to swing smoother.

Yeah.   I've had an old TaylorMade tour preferred MB 8-iron for use in my garage net for the last year or so.   It's bent to my specs and I've re-shafted it a couple times to match my current set.  Same swing weight and flex.  It sees a lot of use for partial swing drills and has seen many bottles of foot powder spray as I chase consistency.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have a Callaway Apex MB 7 iron and a Taylormade 7MC 4 iron. The Callaway was on sale cause it was an old demo but I hope to one day end up playing a set of 7MCs so the 4 iron is my readiness gauge. 

Seth

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X w/ Nemesys Shaft 55 

2 Wood: Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5

5 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

7 Wood: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond

Irons: Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-G w/ UST Dart V shafts

Wedges: Taylormade Hi-toe 54 and 58

Putter: Odyssey DW Cruiser converted to armlock

Ball: Vice Pro

I practice with the same clubs I play with. Seems counterproductive to get used to something on the range and have it be completely different on the course when I'm trying to score.

Also I tend to do a lot of my practicing once the season gets going out on the course - I prefer to walk practice rounds vs hitting balls on the range. I find that I get a lot better doing that. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact