Making The Switch To Graphite

Beans…

keep doing some elbow and forearm rehab work 2 or 3 times a week to keep the sportsmedicine staff away. 
wrist rolls, hammer rotation in pronation/ supination and keep a small squeeze ball in your car for hand and finger strength. I know you were as happy as I when you didn’t have to flinch before a swing. 

T Ross Bailey

As I got a little older and accumulated some shoulder and neck issues along the way my swing slowed and my distance suffered, particularly with my irons game. Coincidentally I was in the market for new irons during this and the fitter after listening to my concerns and watching my swing with the irons I was using at the time made the suggestion I try a graphite shaft. With the significant weight reduction provided by the graphite shafts (~40-50g decrease) my swing speed picked up my distances improved (actually exceeding some of my best distances with steel shafts) and my dispersion improved as well. 

I’m not a scratch golfer by any means but I can say that my game has improved, I’ve moved BACK a tee on my home course and my scores have improved and I’m shooting in the 80s more often then not; a big departure from previous.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I'll never go back! Turned Mizuno butter soft into MELTED BUTTER SOFT

I have come to realize I like a WAY lighter set up after playing a little, and hitting some of the newer stuff. I hit the 923HM 2 days ago with the recoil esx in a regular stiffness and my word... like you said, melted butter. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for that set up or I would have bought them on the spot. I also hit them 7 outta 10 great vs 2 or 3 outta 10 like I normally do. *very new to the game* 

That extra inch, up 2, and insanely light graphite shaft was PURE! 

I also greatly appreciated how much less strain I felt in my arms, hands, wrists overall.

Edited by cactusboy505

I wonder what it's like to throw darts...

I switched to graphite a couple of years ago after battling tendonitis in my right arm for several months. I was shocked at how quickly my tendonitis went away. I was so pleased I went ahead and switched to graphite in my wedges as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 6-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :PXG:
 Mustang Battle Ready
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Well... I think that reading through all of the previous comments answers the basic question I have of this thread's participants, but I'll ask anyway.  

With the obvious and vast improvements in graphite shafts over the years, to the point where they provide lower torque and greater accuracy than that of steel, does graphite still provide significant reduction in hand and joint stress? I'm not talking about the shaft performance; that part has been and continues to be a matter of record. I'm talking about its benefit for hand & joint trauma. 

I'm not far away from looking into new 6 thru W irons and I have enough joint problems that I'll spend the extra money if they can prolong my playing days. It's just that, in my addled mind, if graphite is more accurate than steel, that means graphite is more ridged than steel??? So does graphite still significantly reduce vibration transmitted to the hands??? This being a MGS forum thread (you know, being datacratic and all), does anyone know of a test demonstrating vibration reduction in modern graphite vs. steel? I wouldn't know where to start otherwise I give it a try.

:callaway-small: Paradym AI Smoke 🔹🔹🔹w/ :projectx: HZRDUS GEN 4 Silver 60 Graphite 6.0 or  :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 4-PW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM10 52.12F, SM10 56.14F & SM10 60.12D wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

My 2024 Titleist SM10 Wedge Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/64494-vokey-sm10-wedges-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1065367

Two possible downsides of graphite…first is the weight/cost ratio of the shafts.  Graphite is finally catching up with steel for heavier shafts (which I believe is better for most golfers), but they quickly become crazy expensive for the high end options.  The other is reuse.  Very easy to pull steel shafts and put them in new irons.  Easy to destroy the epoxy in a graphite shaft by heating it or breaking the tip if you try to pull it without heating.  Other than that, graphite is a great option.

Driver - Titleist.png.498bc07308fe56d564be22c9431a5e18.png 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist.png.38f33ae482f03fcb0b418c4ad449014d.png 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - Titleist.png.db92d1d5ded4d1e2c006d38c55ff42d7.png 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Titleist.png.be3c490c674724282df255bccde13d6a.png Vokey Spin Milled 52/56/60

Putter - EVNROLLlogo.jpg.fe3da74474e04365077bd707c1132da3.jpg Neo Classic ER2

Ball - Titleist.png.0716431d8fbd49f30882f96bc07b7d40.png Tour Speed/Soft

Rangefinder - BushnellLogo.jpg.52d5c06a2ba66a8729d6938779ae75db.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Apparently, I’m a “Basic Golfer”. MGS recently made a post about this on center shafts and I’m in on that. Now we see one on graphite and I have those too…

Switched from DGs to LA Golf last summer, can’t imagine going back to steel. 

my only questions are… LA Golf seems to be in trouble, does someone have better graphite iron shafts coming?  Do I want to add them to the wedges, have S400 in those still

I have tried graphite iron shafts twice, several years apart. In both cases graphite didn't work for me. They felt good initially and seemed to be working, but after a short period of time it was obvious graphite was the wrong choice. Why did I try a second time after not working? I thought improvement in iron shafts would make a difference the second time around. 

I made the switch to graphite in early April this year and love the feel and performance. Wouldn’t go back to steel. 

All clubs are Maltby/Golfworks brand

Driver – KE4 TC Max, Maltby MPF Pro Series UL shaft, Regular

3 & 5 Woods – KE4 Tour TC, Fujikura Vista Pro 65-R shaft, Regular

3 Hybrid – KE4 Tour TC, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 2nd Gen shaft, Regular

4 Hybrid – KE4 Tour TC, Rapport Core Blue Hybrid, Regular

5 – PW Irons – TS3 Forged, UST Mamiya Recoil 660/680 SC shaft, Regular

52, 56 degree Wedges – Max Milled, UST Mamiya Recoil 760/780 ES SmacWrap IP shaft, Regular

Putter -  Pure-Track Tour Milled PTM-4, TT putter shaft

Ball – Maxfli Tour X

I am playing irons with stiff graphite shafts for the first time. It has taken me a couple of range sessions to adjust to them, and I've even seen some distance improvement at the 6-7-8i that I had not experienced before.

Range mat impacts were mentioned and I can say that I don't feel the vibrations chunked shots as bad as I did with my steel shafts. But what I do notice is the club head twists alot quicker when I do hit the mat first,  causing a more pronounced/exaggerated mishit ball effect.

My wrist and shoulder fatigue is greatly reduced and throughout a round I have no aches or concerns!

I was not fitted for these other than through Stix website fitment guide.  But as a first time user of them, I can say that I may be a convert!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I switched to graphite shafted P790s five years ago because of tendonitis in my right elbow and I have never looked back.  I get a bit more distance out of each club, they look great and feel great, and whenever a buddy hits one he loves the feel and the extra 5-8 yards.  If I hit a good shot, it's as close as I'd ever want and there doesn't seem to be any downside to the graphite.  They weren't cheap, but they feel as new as the day I got them so I will not be replacing them for a long time.

Ping G400 Driver, 3-wood, 22- & 19-degree hybrids

TaylorMade P790 5-iron through Gap

TaylorMade Spider putter

Cleveland RBX 54- & 58-degree wedges

10 minutes ago, JaredC said:

I was told to avoid graphite shafts in my irons due the the arthritis developing in my thumbs. They sa.d they vibrate more than steel.

They vibrate less. They absorb the shock so much better than Steele. 

Srixon ZX7 Mk II Irons 5-9

2024 Calloway AI Smoke 3 Wood Max with Oban Shaft

PING G430 MAX 5 Wood

2024 Calloway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond Driver with Oban shaft

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Putter or Many different Putters. Whatever is working at the time

Taylormade 2024 TP5x 

I was fitted for MMT graphite shafts by PXG recently and will tell you, I do not think I will ever go back to steel. I don’t have an aggressive transition in my swing, which might be why I feel like I can swing smoothly without issue. I can also report that the pain in my right elbow has almost completely disappeared after range sessions and on course rounds. I am not sure if it is because of the substantially lighter shafts (95 vs. 70) or the bend/flex profile but I will absolutely champion graphite shafts from now on. 

IMG_1726.jpeg

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

Posted (edited)

Funny that you should bring up this topic because on my last fitting the best shaft for me was a graphite UST Recoil Dart shaft ( WILSON) .   I double checked this with another fitting ( PING)  and the same shaft performed the best . Both fitting were done on a TRACKMAN .  That is two different manufactured heads but the same results .  Guess what I will be going to next. 

Edited by 10Hockey

Wilson DynaForged Irons 

Callaway Smoke  Driver

Cobra Hybrid ( 2 iron )

Ping Hybrids (2)

Volkey Wedges (58,54,47)

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

Getting well into my senior years, I made the move to graphite shafted irons about 3 years ago simply looking for more distance. Articles and reviews all seem very convincing that lighter graphite shafts lead to faster swing speeds equaling more distance. Well, I found that not true at all in my case, I virtually didn’t gain any distance and my shot dispersion went seriously larger. Now several years later I have arthritis in my fingers so I find myself sticking to the graphite shafts because the articles have also convinced me that graphite has less impact to the finger/hands/arms etc.(which I truly believe). However, I still long to get back into steel shafted irons and plan again to try through a fitting. 

Titleist TSr1 12* Driver, Titleist TSi1 3 & 5 fairways, Callaway Ai Smoke HL 4-PW, Cleveland 48*,54*,58* CBX wedges, Odyssey Ai-One Seven CH putter.

I grew up with the steel shaft, so that was the comfort zone.

It took me awhile to tryout the light weight steel and a bit longer to get used to the light weight steel shafts in the irons.

Graphite shafts?  I had tried them off and on since the early 90's.  It was too light and the earlier version launched the golf ball too high, I was not a fan for the added length to compensate for the swing weight either.

Until recently, my arthritis in the hands and shoulders faring up forced me to look into the graphite shafts again, especially the heavier weight versions.

The heavy weighted graphite shafts were stiff and feel dead, this was one of the reasons why I did not try graphite shafts in irons sooner.  Another major reason was the price tag.  

After looking and researching, I had landed on an oldie, UST Mamiya Prototype 125.  I was eyeballing it when it was introduced back in 2013, got stopped in my track because of the price tag.  Until this model was announced as discontinued in 2023 and the price started to slide.

Raw weight of 118 gm - 122 gm is wright there with some of the light weight steel shafts, and the found price of 1/5th of the original MSRP prompted me to get a set for myself and hopefully it will alleviate my discomfort in the hands and shoulders.

So excited after shafting up the set of Bridgestone Tourstage X blade CB last week.  It has been sitting on the drying rack for almost a whole week now.  I had only tried chipping with the PW and the 7i a few times.  The weather and my surgeon's warning of no golf until June prevented me from taking this set out for a field trip.

Due to an injury a few years ago, when I got my new set a few years ago they suggested graphite shafts. Mizuno irons, so no upcharge for the graphite shafts. Can't say I can tell a difference between them and the old steel shafts except maybe a little lighter.

D, 3W, 3H - Ping G 425 Irons - Mizuno SEL Tour 4-GW, Wedges Vokey S8 54° and 58°, Putter - Ping CA 70

Good topic! Please listen to the suggestions about weight, flex points and launch characteristics. Some "light" graphite shafts can be a little to light. I believe. And all seem to be different in what they do in the longer woods as opposed to irons. Shafts really require deep research if not a fitting.

Best, -Marv

I went to graphite shafts when I turned 60 and was fitted for HM919s. My banged up, arthritic joints needed them - and they have made a real difference in comfort and play.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

1 hour ago, Jack Marquess said:

I bought a set of PXGs 5 years ago, pro style 

W-7, more forgiving 6-3. Love’em. Just had spinal fusion and wondering if better off now with slower swing going to graphite? Can I reuse the heads?

any thoughts?

You can absolutely reuse the heads.  Find a good clubmaker.  They can heat/pull the steel shafts and install new shafts and ferrules.  If you got fit at a PXG fitting center, i would guess they could fit you for the right graphite shafts and then they would reshaft your irons.  Biggest issue is to make sure your swingweight and total weight gets worked out correctly.  Just replacing one shaft for another without ensuring swingweight could result in a worse outcome.

Driver - Titleist.png.498bc07308fe56d564be22c9431a5e18.png 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist.png.38f33ae482f03fcb0b418c4ad449014d.png 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - Titleist.png.db92d1d5ded4d1e2c006d38c55ff42d7.png 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Titleist.png.be3c490c674724282df255bccde13d6a.png Vokey Spin Milled 52/56/60

Putter - EVNROLLlogo.jpg.fe3da74474e04365077bd707c1132da3.jpg Neo Classic ER2

Ball - Titleist.png.0716431d8fbd49f30882f96bc07b7d40.png Tour Speed/Soft

Rangefinder - BushnellLogo.jpg.52d5c06a2ba66a8729d6938779ae75db.jpg Tour V5 Shift

For the first/only time in my golfing life I have 2 sets of irons:  Ping G410 in steel, and Cleveland XL in graphite.  Both sets are 6-GW.  I used the Clevelands during most of 2023 and the “off season” (Nov. 1-March 31) and for indoor sessions when snow and cold prevailed.  The Pings are currently in the bag (not sure why except maybe I felt bad for ignoring them for so long).

I have not put them up against each other on a launch monitor so my anecdotal comparison is this: graphite = lighter (but not necessarily faster SS); steel = fewer “hit it hard” swings (so more in balance); graphite = higher launch + slightly more yards; steel = easier to hit low punch shots; graphite = less pain/vibration on chunked full swings.

I use the same SW and LW (steel) with each set so cannot compare height and/or stopping power.

I am glad I have the graphite and this topic is making me think about bringing them back out!

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Graphite from driver to putter now for a couple of years. Wouldn’t go back! Love my LA Golf A-series at 105g! Smooth and tight dispersion. And way easier on my joints. And I even love the look over steel now, too. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx (45.75in)
5 wood - Cobra Darkspeed
7 Wood - Cobra Darkspeed
9 Wood - Ping G430 Max
6 - Approach - Cobra Forged Tec One Length (LA Golf shafts)
52, 56, 60 - Cobra Snakebite One Length (LA Golf shafts)
Putter - L.A.B. DF2.1 Armlock (LA Golf shaft)

I had a graphite set back in high school (Cubic Balance forged irons…was the best of the Clearance irons from the Edwin Watts catalog after I got my first paycheck from my first job) and played them for several years but they are the only graphite irons I’ve ever owned and they were whippy. I went to steel when I got my next set in college as I hit the steel shafts more accurately.

I’d love to see how the tech has changed from those whippy ones a few decades ago.

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 10* | Taylor Made Mini Driver 13.5* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Haywood CB/MB combo set (4-7 CB; 8-PW MB) | Edison 2.0 wedges 51*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

I am going to offer the contrary view here.    I am 70 years old and have played graphite for years.   While graphite helped my swing speed, I found it very hard to be consistent.    The clubs felt “whippy” and not solid.    I recently went for a fitting.   I found the new lightweight steel shafts to be ideal.   Not only did my distance improve over graphite but my dispersion was much more consistent.   I am now using a 95 gram steel shaft and so far I am very satisfied with the results.    Bottomline - Every golfer is different and there are a variety of factors to consider in addition to graphite or steel shafts such as flex and swing weight.   The key is to find the right combination.

Titliest TS2 Driver, 3 Wood, 19, 21, 23 Hybrids, Muzuno Irons, Titlest Wedges, Odyssey Lab Stroke Putter

I have gone back and forth. Currently on steel because of Tokomo, but also because the trajectories and spin have been great out of the box, I haven’t needed to experiment with another graphite shaft.  
I think the days of graphite being inferior to steel are over!  You can get dialed in much better with Graphite than Steel.  But it’s definitely more expensive and I think getting fit to the ideal graphite shaft is harder.  It’s not just the LM numbers but how it plays in real world conditions that makes it hard to find the right fit.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User