Making The Switch To Graphite

The more I hit these graphite stuffs, the more I feel I won't go back to steel, except maybe short wedges, bit that depends on the way it would perform. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Already there.  Like many I started out with steel when I was young.  As I got older, swing slowed down, injuries pile up, etc, I moved into graphite.  In my  last 2 fittings they tried both but went with the graphite - i was open to accept whatever made sense.  I feel also that I get better feedback in my hands with graphite than with steel also.  Can't see myself going back to steel in the future especially at 60 and a slower swing speed. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

As with anything, definitely not for everyone or all. Glad you found your preference though and we're able to recognize the change even if it took down time.

For my swing I'm not overly aggressive which lends itself well to graphite.

... I don't think anyone has a more aggressive swing than Dechambeau and he uses graphite in his irons. The LA Golf Bryson series shafts have 1.1* of torque and weigh 123-126gms. Just sayin ...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I don't think anyone has a more aggressive swing than Dechambeau and he uses graphite in his irons. The LA Golf Bryson series shafts have 1.1* of torque and weigh 123-126gms. Just sayin ...

Fair point, I do think transition and some of that can play a part. i also think we can both agree Bryson is a bit of an outlier in the golfing industry. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Fair point, I do think transition and some of that can play a part. i also think we can both agree Bryson is a bit of an outlier in the golfing industry. 

... Oh yea "outlier" might be an understatement. 😂 But my point is there is a graphite iron shaft for any kind of swing and transition. When I read someone tried graphite in their irons but steel works better for them, I think they just didn't try the right graphite shaft. And those that say they lack feedback didn't play them long enough or they confuse vibration with feedback. Plenty of feedback just not that jarring vibration many are accustomed to. 

... Nothing at all wrong with playing steel if that's your thing  👍  but graphite is just superior in every way if you can find the right weight and performance attributes for your swing. It is still difficult to find a fitting where you can try all of the different graphite iron shafts so I get the reluctance to just blindly purchase them.  But as many in this thread have pointed out, the reduced wear and tear on your joints is a game changer. 

On 5/27/2024 at 2:35 AM, MIGregB said:

Well... I think that reading through all of the previous comments answers the basic question I have of this thread's participants, but I'll ask anyway.  

With the obvious and vast improvements in graphite shafts over the years, to the point where they provide lower torque and greater accuracy than that of steel, does graphite still provide significant reduction in hand and joint stress? I'm not talking about the shaft performance; that part has been and continues to be a matter of record. I'm talking about its benefit for hand & joint trauma. 

I'm not far away from looking into new 6 thru W irons and I have enough joint problems that I'll spend the extra money if they can prolong my playing days. It's just that, in my addled mind, if graphite is more accurate than steel, that means graphite is more ridged than steel??? So does graphite still significantly reduce vibration transmitted to the hands??? This being a MGS forum thread (you know, being datacratic and all), does anyone know of a test demonstrating vibration reduction in modern graphite vs. steel? I wouldn't know where to start otherwise I give it a try.

I'm 38 but I have effed-up wrists from years of eating it on skateboards and working at a computer. Played 54 holes over a 3-day weekend 2 years ago, and my lead wrist was in pretty bad shape after. So for my "welcome to fatherhood" present I got a fitting at Truespec to see if graphite was possible. My previous experience with graphite shafts was back in the 90s when I was a junior golfer and had an off the rack set that was handed down to me. I hated them because I couldn't feel where the club was at in any point of my swing. Modern graphite shafts are a completely different story and the Steelfibers I'm playing now feel very similar to the Modus 105s I was playing in my previous irons (also fitted).

Playing multiple rounds over consecutive days doesn't happen much for me lately, but I'm confident my wrists wouldn't be nearly as sore after switching.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 Ventus TR Black 5 S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :vokey-small: 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I am 52 and have played regularly since 2010. JUST made the switch to graphite after unreal elbow and shoulder pain.

AP2 heads with Steelfiber 95 stiff shafts; coming from 115-120g steel shafts I didn't have any issue and after a couple of rounds I don't think I'll ever buy another steel shafted set again. I don't take a very big divot so not a lot of reverb (makes me think that maybe I was hesitant to since I had a sharp jolt with steel?) but the smoothness of the load and unload is very nice.

I've had a few fittings for irons in the past and not one fitter has suggested trying graphite. I was a little surprised by that.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've always been a Stiff or X in a heavier steel shaft. Last go around I was hitting a lighter stiff graphite similar to a heavy Dynamic Gold Tour in the fitting. I made the switch to graphite to try and not feel like I have to kill it and the biggest difference now that I have played them a while is I absolutely love the feel. I have tried using my old irons and I just don't love not having the same feel through impact. When your fitter puts you in the right shaft, you usually will know

Three years ago I switched to Aerotech Steelfiber shafts and I love them. I use i95 in regular. I love how solid they feel through the ball. Just as solid as steel. 

Driver PING G430 Max 10K Red Hzrdus Regular flex

3wood Taylormade Burner Fuji Pro 2.0 S

5w/7w PING G 430 Max Red Hzrdus Reg.

5 hybrid PING Anser

6i-AW Callaway Apex 21 Steelfiber i95 R

52/54/58 wedges PING s159

Putter Callaway Odyssey OG 1 

I have an autoimmune issue that can flare up in my hands often when playing 18.  At times I’ve simply stopped playing late in the round due to swelling and pain.  To help overcome that I built myself a set of irons in graphite.  I started with some experiments, trying a couple shafts that fit my budget and moved on from there to build a set of softer stiff irons.  

There are always trade offs with feel, etc.  Grips are always in the discussion.  While I did gain a few yards I’ve always felt that improvement there could be better driven in my case by getting myself into better shape and improving my swing mechanics.  Graphite has come a long way from my Dad’s first Shakespeare graphite shafted driver.  If I can get through a round with less discomfort, I’m in.

Mahonex

TaylorMade R1, Grafalloy Blackbird Stiff

Tour Edge, 3wd, 3&4 hybrids

Hogan FTX 5-E, Hogan 4 shafts

Cobra Trusty Rusty gap wedge

Tour Edge Putter

After playing 9 holes with steel shafted irons, I have pain this morning in my right arm 😞 I'm really not looking for my tennis elbow to flare up again so the graphite shafted irons are going back in the bag ASAP. They're older and have seen better days but even by the 8th hole last night I was starting to feel it. 

Time for a garage cleanout of clubs so I can see what I can grab that's newer (and slightly heavier graphite shafts as well).

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

So here is a question. Would you rather buy new graphite and swap your shafts out, or would you look for new/used clubs that already have them installed? Predicated with you already know what shafts work for you?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

So here is a question. Would you rather buy new graphite and swap your shafts out, or would you look for new/used clubs that already have them installed? Predicated with you already know what shafts work for you?

I'd personally rather look for clubs with graphite in them already. Right now I have Elements Chrome shafts which are 60g and a little light for me. I do love how smooth they feel and where/how they flex, so I'd be looking for shafts that match those characteristics. I've love to be fitted but right now the costs of new irons + fitting aren't in my budget, unless someone else wants to pay my kid's college tuition bills 😄 

For me, I'll most likely go find some sets to hit on a sim/launch monitor at PGA SS, GG, etc and see what works and feels best. 

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Depends on how exotic the graphite shafts are (or common). If you are going on the heavier side, you can usually find steelfibers or MMTs but less likely (as I have seen) to find heavier Recoil Darts or Axioms (brand new). If you are in the lighter graphite shafts (standard recoils, NVs, etc) those are seem to be relatively easy to find. The 60-80g graphite shafts, generally, are not that expensive and may be able to get built into your set for no or a modest upcharge. The steelfibers/axioms/MMTS are significant upcharges. If I could find Maltby TS1-IMs already shafted up with Axiom 130X (almost ZERO chance there are any for sale in that combo) then I would just buy them used and sell my current set. Reshafting is expensive but it seems to be my only option. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* / Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

Is reshafting from steel to graphite  yourself an option,  or is there a special process involved that's best left to a fitter? (I haven't looked that part up)

WITB-

4 hours ago, Rob Person said:

... Nothing irritates me more than cash grabs from OEMs. Why does one charge $200 for an upgrade to a Ventus Velocore shaft and another $350?  If irons come stock with a $39 shaft why wouldn't they subtract that from the cost of $59 Steelfibers so at most a $20 uncharge. But they charge $50 to $60 because they are greedy and lazy and actually discourage many from upgrading because they would rather just sell you the stock options. Yes, I get most OEM's receive a discount for buying stock shafts in bulk, but that's their issue, not the customer. 

... I do all my own club work so I would rather buy heads and shaft them myself. That is rarely possible so I opt to buy steel shafted irons and then do all the pulling and re-shafting work myself. But if you don't have that option (and most don't) I imagine getting exactly what you want is easier just buying new irons. If you have irons you truly love and they are still in good shape, it could certainly be worth to have a qualified fitter/repair facility re-shaft your current irons. 

Last 2 sets have had graphite. Will turn 60 this year so I will not be swinging any faster and while graphite shafts have a different feel the benefits from less impact on my body is worth it. I do miss the feel of a well struck shot with a steel shaft. 

We have a couple of Ping for Reps at our Club and I hit the new blueprint irons with a steel shaft and loved it. Good thing I hit in on the center but lost 10 yards due to club head speed and lofting. I am too the point where I don't care what shaft flex or material I use as long as it improves my game. Have played too a 5 or less the last 10 years and my improved short game helps keep me competitive with guys that hit it 30 yards past me. 

Great guy at our club is fitter at Cool Clubs and the numbers don't lie. All kinds of graphite available with different flight characteristics. Heard the new KBS tour shafts are unreal. Time for another fitting I guess!

I’m turning 60 next year and been using graphite irons for 20 years when first available. It’s so much easier on my joints 

I gone through three different irons graphite sets and every time I try steel at the store hitting bay and get that vibration I stick to graphite.

I do like steel in my wedges   Not sure why maybe cause I rarely mishit it wedges and it’s a smooth 3/4 swing and never get vibration 

10 hours ago, Haro said:

I’m turning 60 next year and been using graphite irons for 20 years when first available. It’s so much easier on my joints 

I gone through three different irons graphite sets and every time I try steel at the store hitting bay and get that vibration I stick to graphite.

I do like steel in my wedges   Not sure why maybe cause I rarely mishit it wedges and it’s a smooth 3/4 swing and never get vibration 

I agree. My current wedges (gap, sand and lob) have steel shafts which I think are more stable. As you suggest, it is more likely because a "full swing" is 3/4 thus more accurate contact.

19 minutes ago, itsteetime said:

I agree. My current wedges (gap, sand and lob) have steel shafts which I think are more stable. As you suggest, it is more likely because a "full swing" is 3/4 thus more accurate contact.

FWIW, I have a graphite shaft in my 58* and I don't have any concerns over stability when swinging "full" (which for me is pretty much a 3/4 swing since I never swing my 54* or 58* all out).

14 hours ago, Haro said:

3 hours ago, itsteetime said:

3 hours ago, russtopherb said:

FWIW, I have a graphite shaft in my 58* and I don't have any concerns over stability when swinging "full" (which for me is pretty much a 3/4 swing since I never swing my 54* or 58* all out).

... I played Recoil 95's in my irons and Recoil 110's in my wedges and it worked great. Picked up a new wedge and had a Recoil 95 wedge shaft lying around so took a chance and used it. For me, no difference so when I switched to Steelfiber i95's I put them in my wedges as well. Love the performance. Lots of knockdown and 3/4 shots with my wedges so they produce even more vibration than a standard iron shot from the fairway. Some would probably be surprised at how much vibration a sand shot produces. 

... I would probably stick with i95's in my wedges if I switched to i80's in my irons. I did that with my Cobra King Tours and it worked well. So many partial shots, especially with my 58* and I think a little more weight helps with feel. I also think some that play graphite shafts under 85gms may find they prefer steel in their wedges, but I think that is a weight issue, not a material issue and they might be surprised at how a heavier graphite wedge shaft feels and performs. 

Just now, chisag said:

I played Recoil 95's in my irons and Recoil 110's in my wedges and it worked great.

For me, no difference so when I switched to Steelfiber i95's I put them in my wedges as well. Love the performance.

I also landed on Recoil 95s (which you seem to have left for Steelfibers)
because Aldila NV Pro 105s disappeared from the face of the earth.
They had been my transition from steel.

No (new) problems here, either.
I don't play at your level, Chi, but I've hardly noticed the difference from the Aldilas.

4 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

I also landed on Recoil 95s (which you seem to have left for Steelfibers)
because Aldila NV Pro 105s disappeared from the face of the earth.
They had been my transition from steel.

No (new) problems here, either.

... I still think the Pro 105's are some of the best graphite iron shafts ever produced. Designed to play like a lighter weight Dynamic Gold I also think Aldila made a huge mistake discontinuing them. 

5 hours ago, itsteetime said:

Yes when I try to swing 3/4 with my irons I get a much smoother swing and I don’t get a vibration with steel. My bad habit is trying a full out hit with the irons which cause big vibrations with iron but nothing with graphite. 
Maybe I been hitting my long irons all wrong 

Unpopular opinion after reading this thread but i'm still a fan of steel.  I do like the graphite on my 2 iron but i just don't see myself getting away from steel. There seems to be a lot of injuries where graphite has made a difference, maybe if i'm forced to i'll look into them. I agree with the comment above but making the change just to experiment seems a bit much. I'm even skeptical about fittings... some of them are money grabs so just beware! my suggestion would be find a coach before a fitter. 

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

On 5/28/2024 at 11:28 AM, chisag said:

He's also one of the most calculated.  

I have been tempted to get a fitting for them with as much as I play and because of wrist issues. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

32 minutes ago, Josh K said:

Unpopular opinion after reading this thread but i'm still a fan of steel.  I do like the graphite on my 2 iron but i just don't see myself getting away from steel. There seems to be a lot of injuries where graphite has made a difference, maybe if i'm forced to i'll look into them. I agree with the comment above but making the change just to experiment seems a bit much. I'm even skeptical about fittings... some of them are money grabs so just beware! my suggestion would be find a coach before a fitter. 

... Don't know if I would call it unpopular as much as contrary. 🙃 Steel is just very limited when it comes to changing performance parameters. You can make a graphite shaft that plays identical to Dynamic Gold or Project X shafts, but you can also vary the torque or bend point(s) along the entire shaft. So you could design a graphite shaft identical to DG but make the tip section or butt end a little stiffer or a little softer as well as 5gms lighter or heavier. The possibilities are almost limitless. 

... But plenty on tour still play steel, I think mostly because they have hit hundreds of thousands of shots with steel and are totally comfortable with the feel/performance and are just reluctant to change. We have already seen graphite completely dominate the LPGA Tour and sometime down the road the same thing will happen with the PGA Tour. 

23 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Don't know if I would call it unpopular as much as contrary. 🙃 Steel is just very limited when it comes to changing performance parameters. You can make a graphite shaft that plays identical to Dynamic Gold or Project X shafts, but you can also vary the torque or bend point(s) along the entire shaft. So you could design a graphite shaft identical to DG but make the tip section or butt end a little stiffer or a little softer as well as 5gms lighter or heavier. The possibilities are almost limitless. 

... But plenty on tour still play steel, I think mostly because they have hit hundreds of thousands of shots with steel and are totally comfortable with the feel/performance and are just reluctant to change. We have already seen graphite completely dominate the LPGA Tour and sometime down the road the same thing will happen with the PGA Tour. 

🤣 it feels unpopular! Being someone who's never used graphite irons (really am comfortable with the steel), did you see any initial dip in performance when making the switch? My perception of graphite shaft was meant for slower swing speeds which is a big reason why I've never even considered them

Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpg M4 - 10.5*

Fairway: image.png.f80b04716f0752d0e161f8e69e17c221.png M4 3-Wood 

Hybrid: image.png.fe2aa7f34d770c8645b49d14ca7602f6.png M4 3H - 19*

Irons: Nike 4i VRS

Irons: image.png.addf2ff95a721c9b9015d977752379bc.png M4 5-AW

Wedges: image.png.d6668598d6a0d511b87f2fc1eb87fcb7.png 52* MyMG2 & 60* MGIII Tiger Woods

Putter: image.png.2bd0daac2b98426a840265b3c4fe873b.png 2024 Spider Ghost

Ball: image.png.61d218b69b8c0cc8aa3cbef652a165c2.png ProV1 - #14

image.png.11cc5c3378efccacc18c5bc6041b6dce.png  image.png.97bfd2fa9386794895fb5cabbcd1b732.png image.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Josh K said:

🤣 it feels unpopular! Being someone who's never used graphite irons (really am comfortable with the steel), did you see any initial dip in performance when making the switch? My perception of graphite shaft was meant for slower swing speeds which is a big reason why I've never even considered them

... To the contrary I saw an immediate increase in performance when I switched to graphite. My first set was 130gm Aldila NV Tour shafts with 1.5* of torque. I was a little shorter because they wear so stout but my accuracy improved. When the released the NV Pro shafts with 2* of torque at 105 gms my distance came back and the accuracy remained. And to be fair I was completely happy with my steel shafts but had some elbow issues and reluctantly went to graphite. Like many I was a little shocked by the performance and this was 20 years ago! 

... Your perception is one many still share thinking graphite is designed for longer and higher shots. While that is still true for some lightweight shafts, even those shafts produce much better dispersion than the original lightweight OEM shafts designed for seniors or slower swing speeds and some ladies. But Fred Couples has been playing Steelfiber shafts in his irons for many years now as well as several other Tour players. You can find a current graphite iron shaft that fits any player, even with the insane swing speeds from Bryson. 

Edited by chisag