Vice Golf Irons - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@Tom the Golf Nut - Main Post 

@dback - Main Post 

@gingerbeast87 - Main Post 

@Splatt - Main Post

51 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Feel is always subjective but on slightly off center hits you can feel it but the forgiveness they built into the clubs still result in straight shots but just a little short. The King tours don’t have as much forgiveness, the head is smaller and the sweet spot is smaller. Missing the sweet spot would result in shorter distance but almost double than the Vice. So let’s say 20 yards versus 10 yards short. Direction wise the Vice were much better.

Turf interaction is different between the two. As an example I pulled an 8-iron from each set. The face thickness on the King Tours behind the sweet spot measures 0.865 and the VGI01’s measured 0.760

The vice clubs seemed to be able to go down and get the ball out of the rough easier. It also felt like it had less twisting. 

The VGI01’s are freaking awesome.

Hint see next post!!

Similar to what you are saying, they play fairly forgiving considering the club category but you can feel mishits. Not necessarily a terrible, hurt your hand feel if you are catching the club face still but immediate feedback that it wasn’t as clean of a strike. But even in this the miss isn’t going to kill you

Driver: Cobra LTDx, HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60x, 9 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Vice VGI01s 5-pw (Vice VGI01 Review,)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Shotscope v3 and 18birdies (never play a round without them!)

Garmin r10 for range sessions and winter garage golf

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

On 8/31/2024 at 6:59 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Crap, another 5 minutes of typing and it’s gone. 😡

Another good round today. I was four under on the front and then another two under on the back up until the 16th hole. Hit a tree branch off the drive. Then hit a long 5 hybrid into the greenside bunker. Out nicely but two putted for the bogey.

I was running out of gas. The temp was 95 and high humidity. 17’s tee shot on the par three went in the bunker left but I got up and down. 18’s par 5 was just let me finish. Had to stop under a tree after the drive to drink more gatorade. Managed to par out. Laid up to the rivers edge. Then a sand wedge over onto the green with a two putt for par.

In the end it was a solid 67. I almost got out of the aceless thread twice with these shots into the green. One from 160 and the second from 145

IMG_1032.jpeg.fb294480519f9bc81b3495508afa7e15.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg.e1c9358c88d81a820859e31ec6643ecc.jpeg

Have I mentioned I really like these clubs.

Some more incredible shots!

An ace can’t be far away! 

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Cleveland Zipcore XL irons 5i - GW

Pron Wedge 52/10

Mizuno T20 wedge 56/10

Wilson Harmonized wedge 60/10

Seemore putter

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Not going to bore you with more photos of shots into the green. I will say I’m still on a role. Played 18 this morning with Five birdies and One bogey for a 68.

Truthfully I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t think I was ever consistently playing at this level. Sure once or twice a season I’ll get a 69. But this is ridiculous. The best part is I’m not trying to make things happen. They are just happening. Height and distance has increased. I’m a club further than the Cobras. Better height and hitting more greens and closer to the pin. The VGI01’s and the Pro Air balls are just a good combination for me.

I just got home about an hour ago and I want to go play again. I know better but I feel like a kid at Christmas. 

No, keep 'em coming... it's quite inspiring... what would be your distances to the flags during a round of 18? 

I'm guessing you're hitting more GIR than before? Tbh, trying to figure out if you're just a great putter! 

And, if you aren't already, will you be playing any local competitions? 

WITB

Cobra F9 driver

Adams golf 2 hybrid

Mizuno 9 wood

Cleveland Zipcore XL irons 5i - GW

Pron Wedge 52/10

Mizuno T20 wedge 56/10

Wilson Harmonized wedge 60/10

Seemore putter

Not going to bore you with more photos of shots into the green. I will say I’m still on a role. Played 18 this morning with Five birdies and One bogey for a 68.

Truthfully I don’t know what’s going on. I don’t think I was ever consistently playing at this level. Sure once or twice a season I’ll get a 69. But this is ridiculous. The best part is I’m not trying to make things happen. They are just happening. Height and distance has increased. I’m a club further than the Cobras. Better height and hitting more greens and closer to the pin. The VGI01’s and the Pro Air balls are just a good combination for me.

I just got home about an hour ago and I want to go play again. I know better but I feel like a kid at Christmas. 

That’s fantastic to hear!  I hope you keep shooting low.  Congrats! 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

20 hours ago, dback said:

Got two rounds in this week and played some solid golf. I’ve been flirting with some personal bests for the past few weeks. 

Hit two pws from 140 to the flag, never going to complain about these shots or dispersion. One-hop and spin back a few inches is exactly what I want for my pw.

IMG_2647.jpeg.2db0fd2135184d588052f27ac06f8c7d.jpeg

Then my best hole of the day resulted in the - a little downwind so the distances were a bit boosted but had a 7 iron into a par 5 that rolled up to about 20 feet for an eagle look. IMG_2649.jpeg.63509c741ca12f54507ed894e2806e86.jpeg

IMG_2683.png.0e3339fe40d65734ee3b78b794f41c9c.png

Overall hit 72% of green and one of my best rounds of the year, even with the putter being ice cold with 36 putts. 

IMG_2659.jpeg.11bd0bfd5d04ac265bed7e5bc4318b62.jpeg

Bonus points for how good they looked at twilight.

IMG_2651.jpeg.65b186bf0a1659f2fd059fe1a1ba468f.jpeg

Nice shooting @dback!  The last picture is fantastic.  I believe they should use that in the write up. 

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

On 8/28/2024 at 8:27 PM, gingerbeast87 said:

3) played a scramble with a buddy from work today. We shot perhaps the best score I will see in my life when I am playing, 3 over. 3 OVER!!!!!!

Screenshot_20240828-202156_MotoAppLauncher.png.42de47c71244bc4b2ca6915780a34408.png

The irons were on point, his drives and chips combined with my irons and putting gave us a phenomenal round 

Out of the rough my long irons were just powering through. We had one bunker shot which we managed to get out of despite it being tucked against the back edge. Only went about 20 yards but out of the bunker in one is always and achievement.

Messenger_creation_5BD4D2D2-A08F-4359-9670-D97E5F427189.jpeg.8452c7a1268e0e5c8d63300cc3877082.jpeg

Playing again on Sunday so will give some more feedback Sunday/Monday.

Stay safe folks speak soon.

@gingerbeast87 dont understate your iron play during this round. Your approach shots were quality. I have noticed  last few rounds we have played since using the Vice Irons that your confidence and mental game have improved significantly.

I'm the workmate BTW.

I love the science of Golf

WITB 

Driver - Taylormade M2 2016

7wood - Taylormade Stealth 2 

Irons, 4 - PW Titleist AP2 716

52, 56 -  Vokey SM6

60 - Ping Anser forged

42 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My final review is up. Hope you enjoy the review as much as I have enjoyed playing the clubs. I had to put this up a little early due to business travel coming up in a few days.

Great review!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

45 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My final review is up. Hope you enjoy the review as much as I have enjoyed playing the clubs. I had to put this up a little early due to business travel coming up in a few days.

Excellent review Tom! This has been one I've followed closely because of one thing you mentioned in your review, how will a company new to the club business perform? It seems like Vice has a winner here. 

@Tom the Golf Nut

I thoroughly enjoyed your final write-up. It was great to see how the irons boosted your confidence and earned a place in your bag.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Awesome review @Tom the Golf Nut!  Really enjoyed following along with this and seeing how well these performed for you…some awesome rounds!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Awesome work, as always @Tom the Golf Nut!  Believe it or not, they look even better in person than in those awesome photos.  I have to admit, I didn't think much of the release.  Especially after what was found under the hood of their first round of golf balls.  My initial reaction was wrong though. Vice really has put together a good product here.

Edited by JohnSmalls

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Great review @Tom the Golf Nut! Have been following your progress since the beginning and the results have been epic! Nice job!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

On 6/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

FINAL REVIEW

Vice VGI01 Irons

Final Score 97 out of 100

Really nice work on this review, @Tom the Golf Nut!  It has been fun to follow along with you on this test.  Thanks for the descriptions/insights.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

On 8/27/2024 at 9:03 PM, Off Map Oscar said:

Great day out today. 

So review time. 

Build quality A+. Box was a little dented but packaging kept anything from getting damaged inside.  I didn't micro examin the finish on each iron but all of the paint inlays are perfect. Grips are perfectly aligned. Hosel to shaft and iron connection is perfect. No residual glue on any of them. 

20240827_114642.jpg.1bc90cd95f4382ca7aed87de202431d8.jpg

20240827_114643.jpg.cb6ac721dc085bc3f9776bcd8968c9dd.jpg

Great write-up, and thanks for sharing your experience!

The above two pictures genuinely made me laugh though - because while I THINK it's a practice swing, it looks (for all intents and purposes) like you missed the ball entirely, which is hilarious 🙂

Anyway, better luck hitting it next time 😉

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Well this has scuppered my plans to play after work today!

IMG_20240905_112104275.jpg.fa21db8d1854de61b85683d6ebbb98f5.jpg

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

Hey everyone,

Another update from me.

A round from the weekend focusing on more chip and finesse shots

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

20240905_192350.jpg.d5333e8934eb04cc602dba5249d61640.jpg

Well I finally couldn't take it anymore.  Had to swap to my grip over the vice. I really like the  align max and have been missing them so chop suey went the old. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

7 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

20240905_192350.jpg.d5333e8934eb04cc602dba5249d61640.jpg

Well I finally couldn't take it anymore.  Had to swap to my grip over the vice. I really like the  align max and have been missing them so chop suey went the old. 

Oh man I wish those were salvageable!  They would match great with my Stix color fill!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

They use a tape that's pretty aggressive. You'd have to use quite a bit of solvent and the grip removal tool to get them off in one piece.  I use the blow on method so once it's done I can swap grips at will. I have some midsize aligns on the way I'm gonna try too. I swap grips more than some swap underwear 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

I’ve been a huge fan of Vice golf balls for about 4 years now. Not only are their balls high quality, affordable, and the various colors make golf more fun, their direct to consumer approach is just so convenient. The relationship I’ve formed with just their balls immediately gave me confidence their clubs would be top notch. After reviewing some videos online, as well as the videos on MyGolfSpy It was confirmed the VGI01s were my next set. Got them ordered in lime green and arrived about 4 weeks after order. Took them to the range and first shot with P-wedge was like 5yards from the pin. What a way to seal the bond. Although I’m still practicing haha. Anyways, the reviews on these clubs are going to be a great read. I’m sure of it. Good luck and have fun.  

Ajlanger5

My final review is live. It has been an honor and privilege to work with MGS and Vice on testing these. So good in fact, that they will be finding a permanent home in my bag. Looking forward to plenty more round of golf rocking my lime green vgI01s with my lime/black Pro Plus drips. I'm also hoping to do some informal reviews on the new pro plus and pro balls as well as the vice golf glove. I've loved Vice since I really picked up the game in 21 and can't wait to keep vice as such an integral part of my golf game!

Final review is up folks, suffice to say that this test has been an absolute banger!! Thank you to the community for your constant support, thank you to MGS for choosing us to test the clubs, and thank you to Vice for providing us withe such great pieces of kit!

Look forward to speaking soon.

Ryan

Ryan Gardiner 

Debated putting all of this in the final review but felt like too much and wanted to get some more in depth data in a post about the VGI01s vs my adams xtds. Shoutout to shotscope on the great user dashboard and the ability to easily track and compare numbers!

First Up - how did these irons perform off the tee? I played a handful of irons only rounds to get the feel and full experience with these irons and they were great off the tee.

5 iron is a perfect example of how the VGI01s have improved my game. More fairways hit and has close to eliminated the left miss off the tee. Now it has added a bit of a right miss but safe to assume that I have been overcorrecting my starting line and don't need to aim as far right off the tee anymore. More fairways, better distance, smaller miss

image.png.f0730d97676b0740ed5d58938c9bea4b.png

6 iron - very, very similar data. Slightly more left miss but overall my average fairway miss was small. 73% of fairways with an average miss of 7 yards? Sign me up

image.png.e51e1eb879ce328cf5dc8b3eaf2cf4ba.png

7 iron - very small data set, especially for the adams. Technically the adams was better but I'm not going to complain about 71% of fairways hit with an average miss of 7 yards. If I'm pulling 7 iron off the tee, its going to be a pretty tight fairway or a quirky hole that forces you to lay up off the tee box

image.png.69d3c283d230f923be44004c65ce5d64.png

Approach data 

Pretty self-explanatory numbers here, I improved my greens hit percentage with EVERY single vice club vs my adams xtd irons. Interestingly enough, I hit more greens with my vice pw, 9i and 8i than my current GW/50 degree. I know @Tom the Golf Nut pulled the trigger on a vice 50 degree - I may be joining him.

image.png.c85caba03faba9892cd5c015f57178b8.pngimage.png.5fa124cff83578bf093e92b55d753af4.png

All in all, improvement pretty much across the board moving to the VGI01s. More fairways and more greens hit. Now if I could just quit losing strokes on the green...

Edited by dback

@gingerbeast87

Great job on the write up!  I hope you continue to hit them well.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

9 hours ago, Lefty11 said:

@gingerbeast87

Great job on the write up!  I hope you continue to hit them well.

Thanks buddy me too ☺️ ☺️ 

Ryan Gardiner 

Guys, final review is up!!!

Thanks again to MGS and Vice Golf. I'm incredibly luck to have this opportunity!!

Check it out:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Hybrid - :cobra-small: RadSpeed 3 Hyrbid
Irons - :vice: VGI02 5I to SW - 2024 MGS test
Wedges -  :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  :L.A.B.: - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)