Who will be next to complete the career Grand Slam?

GolfSpy_BNG

Sean Fairholm discusses the career grand slam.  Only 5 men have achieved the feat and he talks about what some golfers still need and who he thinks may be in line to complete the slam.  

What say you?  Who is gonna be next to complete the grand slam?

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/tour/who-will-complete-the-career-grand-slam-first/

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

Probably nobody. Scottie was looking like he might bust a tiger slam then out of nowhere Xander takes two of them, so maybe Xander? My money is on no one, it's so hard to win once in your career. To do it 4 times is obviously harder, then to have those 4 be majors? Sheesh!

Edited by yungkory

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

11 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Probably nobody. Scottie was looking like he might bust a tiger slam then out of nowhere Xander takes two of them, so maybe Xander? My money is on no one, it's so hard to win once in your career. To do it 4 times is obviously harder, then to have those 4 be majors? Sheesh!

It’s definitely tough to do. I think of those that need multiple to get there Scottie has the best shot. I’m not counting Rory out just yet. If he can get on one of his heaters at the right time it’s possible. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

Interesting topic. 
Of the 3 that are closest, none of them seem likely. If I had to throw a futures bet on it, I would guess Scheffler or Schauffele, but one look at some of the luminaries of the game that couldn’t get it done leaves me skeptical it’ll happen again any time soon. That only 5 golfers have ever done it is staggering, but the list of names goes a long way to explaining what it takes to accomplish this rare feat. 

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned down 1° flat :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue velocore  6x

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Newton 6 dot

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-PW:  :ping-small: Blueprint S 

48°: :vokey-small: SM-9 

54° & 58°: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

It’s really tough to guess, there are so many good players out there.

I would love to see Speith wi the Grand Slam, but looks less likely as time goes on.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I think that Scheffler, Schauffele, Koepka, DeChambeau and Aberg look good for the near future as those who could win all four majors in a career.  They are still young and relatively unscarred mentally.

Once someone has trouble winning a certain major for more than a few years, the  "kavorka" seems to set in.

Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Rory McIlroy and Phil Mickelson are some of the more famous players who need or needed a single major to complete the slam.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.

For a better than average odds to achieve the Grand Slam, the players with 3 already under their belt probably have the greater chance than most. Rory, Jordan Speith and Phil fit the bill, but you couldn't rule out Rahm, Scheffler, Koepka (enter favourite player here) giving them a run to the line. On probability? Speith has a better chance of winning a PGA Championship than Rory has of winning the Masters, or Phil bagging the US Open.

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

For a better than average odds to achieve the Grand Slam, the players with 3 already under their belt probably have the greater chance than most. Rory, Jordan Speith and Phil fit the bill, but you couldn't rule out Rahm, Scheffler, Koepka (enter favourite player here) giving them a run to the line. On probability? Speith has a better chance of winning a PGA Championship than Rory has of winning the Masters, or Phil bagging the US Open.

I would agree here.  I think there are a few of the PGA courses that set up better for Jordan than Rory at Augusta. That being said, his recent play hasn't been great so maybe Rory can catch lightening some April and close it out. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

On 7/25/2024 at 2:55 PM, jaskanski said:

I don't think Phil will win another major, let alone the US Open. I know... never say never, but........................

I’m 67 y.o.  I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime. 

14 of the following:

Taylormade Qi10 Max

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 26 degrees

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Ping G430 irons 6-50 degree

Sub 70 286 wedges 52 and 56 degrees

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

If Rory (or any of them) does it, I hope he wins another 3 or 4. It is incredible that its only been done by 5 players who are all legends of the game. I would not like to see Spieth get an out of nowhere hot weekend at a soft PGA Championship and lessen the accomplishment. Of the 5 who accomplished it, the lowest major total is Gene Sarazen with 7, but he played the prime of his career before the inception of the Masters (he won the 2nd Masters held). I don't want to see a Grand Slam winner with only 4 or 5 majors wins.

Ludvig Åberg is coming for it

Titleist t100 (2021) 5-p, Titliest sm8 wedges (50,54,58)

Taylormade stealth driver, Taylormade m6 fw5

Odyssey Tri-hot 5K three s

On 7/29/2024 at 10:33 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I’m 67 y.o.  I don’t think it will happen in my lifetime. 

I agree with you there. With the depths of the fields now days IMHO it will be harder than ever now days. Career Grand Slam I can see Scottie doing it or maybe Xander

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe, Tiger should plan a comeback when he's eligible for the Champions Tour and try to win the Senior Grand Slam and beat Bernhard Langer's total of 12.

I think BL is the only player to have won them all.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.