Launch monitor vs. Simulator

Hey Team,

I am interested in purchasing a simulator or Launch monitor, I know what the basics of each, and that prices can be drastically different from $700- 20k

Does anybody own both? Should I wait and go all in on the Simulator, we have about 3k saved for one. My wife has been Golfing since she was 5, and both our daughters love swinging the sticks but they are still so young!

Can you turn a launch monitor into a simulator? Do you need special software 

I know they are testing both now, but would love anyone’s input who has already got a set up.

Which would you do? And what type?

Thanks!

Ping Driver, Calloway Irons, Odyssey putter. Chasing the Ace!

The launch monitors that also have simulator capabilities either come with or require add on software to do course simulation.   To have a simulator you need a launch monitor that will capture ball data so it can determine flight.  

while I don’t have both, I have access to a GC Quad and have used if for both launch monitor numbers and as a simulator.   The number side is more for working on your  game and the simulator side is to obviously simulate a round of golf.  

you have a big price range so you can do anything between a basic garage setup to a dedicated simulator room.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most of the ones I have seen do.  If the device has courses they is typically a limited number 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've had experience and owned both a SkyTrak & Bushnell Launch Pro Launch Monitors.

Both require some sort of yearly fee to use with any program even there own...

SkyTrak & BLP both have there own software to track shots and give you the data they each supply as it is a little different

You can also use other programs like GSPro, TGC2019, and E6. Each of these is it own fee but also let you play alot of the courses worldwide or games.

Here is a link to a YouTube video to help with some comparisons...

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-R 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.c09940dc65e88df056ed8bc6fac5d992.png STEALTH 2 Plus 15* w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65-R 42" 15*

HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Big Bertha 19 w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 20*

IRONS MALTBY.jpg.db763764d25fcfd7c75f92dc47028a09.jpg TS3 Forged 4i-PW w/ True Temper Score LT 100-R

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg HB SOFT 8 w/ Center Shaft 3*

Check out my Tests...

I have used multiple different monitors. Trackman, fullswing, Bushnell, flight scope and cg quad. If you are looking for more and indoor sim use I would recommend the Bushnell or gc quad or older models of foresight. Foresight uses multiple cameras that take pictures of the ball and uses those numbers in an algorithm to calculate your numbers. Trackman and full swing use radar which the camera tracks the ball in the air. I personally would get foresight for more indoors which can be used outdoors as well. If you have the money trackman for sure but full swing is very accurate. I do know Bushnell monitor which is under the foresight brand has the best price options. If you are more at an outside range and not indoor I would say full swing. 

• Titleist Gt3 driver - Venus black 6x
  • Titleist tsr3 3 wood - fujikurs speeder 7x
  • titleist T200 2 iron - la golf shaft
  • Pxg gen4T -4-9 Accra 125x
  • vokey sm10 46,50,54,58
  • lab mess max broomstick 

On 8/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, JAYER38 said:

I've had experience and owned both a SkyTrak & Bushnell Launch Pro Launch Monitors.

Both require some sort of yearly fee to use with any program even there own...

SkyTrak & BLP both have there own software to track shots and give you the data they each supply as it is a little different

You can also use other programs like GSPro, TGC2019, and E6. Each of these is it own fee but also let you play alot of the courses worldwide or games.

Here is a link to a YouTube video to help with some comparisons...

@David Rakoczy I second that this is a great video to start with. Also, determine where you would be using the device as that could potentially eliminate the doppler units should you have a tight space. Those usually need around 14 feet or more from behind the mat to the net! There are so many great options out there that pull double duty in metrics and simulation. 

I love my Garmin R10. Buy once and do not have subscription fees to access all the data it provides, which is quite a lot! That and I already have a life subscription to Awesome Golf simulator. That one is a blast to use with the kiddos. Quite a few fun games there for their swings. 

Edited by Chux13

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

On 8/21/2024 at 12:24 PM, David Rakoczy said:

Hey Team,

I am interested in purchasing a simulator or Launch monitor, I know what the basics of each, and that prices can be drastically different from $700- 20k

Does anybody own both? Should I wait and go all in on the Simulator, we have about 3k saved for one. My wife has been Golfing since she was 5, and both our daughters love swinging the sticks but they are still so young!

I know they are testing both now, but would love anyone’s input who has already got a set up.

Thanks!

I went with the rapsodo which is the $700 option. It does a pretty decent job for entry level. It gives you your numbers and I’d say they are relatively accurate. Compared to top tracer the speeds are within 5 mph and distances are about 10 yards longer than top tracer shows.  If you’re just looking for some fun metrics and don’t need identical stats translating to the course - ie my PW goes exactly 130, it’s a lot of fun. Me and my 8 yr old have been enjoying playing on the virtual range and you can also play virtual golf.   Not bad for $700 bucks!!  

Just now, MackTruck said:

I went with the rapsodo which is the $700 option. It does a pretty decent job for entry level. It gives you your numbers and I’d say they are relatively accurate. Compared to top tracer the speeds are within 5 mph and distances are about 10 yards longer than top tracer shows.  If you’re just looking for some fun metrics and don’t need identical stats translating to the course - ie my PW goes exactly 130, it’s a lot of fun. Me and my 8 yr old have been enjoying playing on the virtual range and you can also play virtual golf.   Not bad for $700 bucks!!  

IMG_0552.png

Mack

On 8/21/2024 at 11:24 AM, David Rakoczy said:

Hey Team,

Thanks!

There are some really good ones out there that will do both. 

What time of space do you have?  This could greatly reduce your options.  Radar based systems(mevo plus, full swing kit) will require 8-10’ ball to screen(more is better) and 8-10’ ball to unit. Camera based systems(skytrak plus, Bushnell launch pro) sit just in front of the ball instead of behind you so they require less room but also need to be moved if switching between lefty and righty.  

If you have the room and like diving into the numbers a radar based system like mevo plus or full swing kit are nice because you can take them to the range and outside they track the entire flight giving you great accuracy. 

All of them will need a simulator package added such as e6, gspro, or tgc2019. Each with different system requirements. Gspro and tgc are computer only and e6 can be iOS.  Not 100% sure but some LM are also system dependent. 

prices are all over the map but if you have the space the Mevo plus with face impact and pro package is great with zero subscription fees to use the unit. Just the e6 subscription if you want more than the free with Mevo courses. If you are fine with those few courses then it’s a one time payment and done. 

I reviewed the Mevo plus earlier this year and made a switch with @Golfspy_CG2 for the full swing kit so we both could check out the other.   So far the FSK wins on lcd screen and ease of setup.  I need to check out the simulator side of things to see how that goes but the mevo was very good on that aspect with the free e6.  

There are always pros and cons to all of them but it’s a great thing to have and totally worth the rabbit hole you are going to be going through to find the right one. 

What is in my Ghost MGS anyday Maverick or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:   Callaway Smoke AI TD Max 8.5* with an Aretera Alpha One Blue 55/4 shaft @ 44.75” or GD VF 5s @45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

:titleist-small: TSR2 7 wood shaft TBD

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 Aged Copper 4-PW with Steelfiber I95 R

Wedges:    :mizuno-small: T22 copper 50* and 54* with Steelfiber 95 S

Putter: :cameron-small: 2024 Phantom 5.5 @ 34”

a gc2 is the only one that has no yearly fee that I'm aware of.  Just have to purchase simulator software.  Still best bang for your buck.

Pair with GSPro and you'll have the best possible set up on the cheap, and you can putt and shortgame actually works unlike some launch monitors.

Edited by Shifty

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

CURRENTLY TESTING T-Squared TS-912 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a modestly priced launch monitor and a net in my garage. It was useful for a time, but didn't take long to realize the limited information I was provided wasn't all that beneficial. I upgraded to a Mevo+ and paired it with GS Pro. A huge step up and probably keeps me content for a good amount of time. 

9 minutes ago, GolfinWdbry said:

I started with a modestly priced launch monitor and a net in my garage. It was useful for a time, but didn't take long to realize the limited information I was provided wasn't all that beneficial. I upgraded to a Mevo+ and paired it with GS Pro. A huge step up and probably keeps me content for a good amount of time. 

That’s what I think the general idea is, we have a driving range literally across the steeet that measures launch angle and club head speed, It doesn’t measure spin,

I think the simulator would be the better bet, space isn’t an issue, just want to have some fun with the family and also play in the winter!

Ping Driver, Calloway Irons, Odyssey putter. Chasing the Ace!