Your Brand Opinion: TaylorMade Golf

GolfSpy_APH

I have mixed feelings - Ive had a number of their drivers in the past, which havent performed well. Could be user error, but thats my perception. I do have a current Stealth 3W that I like a lot. 

I dont put any weight in the fact that so many tour players play them - these guys are getting paid to use the clubs. 

I have been a TaylorMade guy for over 20 years and have had different brands in my bag as well. My bag is Taylormade from lob wedge to driver as well as the TP5X Golf Ball. I have a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Putter in Black and blue in my bag as well. I have loved the drivers except the Stealth 2 which I find a lot shorter on Distance than My Sim 2. I found this driver dead from day one but unless it is broken Taylormade will not warranty it for me. The reason I know it's dead I have hit a couple of my buddies with the same shaft, and I gain around 20 - 30 yards with their drivers. Other than this driver I have been very happy with my Taylormade clubs over the years.

Edited by Calls16Golf

Taylormade (Lefty)

Driver Stealth 2 9.0 degree with Ventus stiff shaft

3 wood Stealth 2 Plus with Ventus shaft

Stealth 2 3 - 4 Hybrid with Ventus shaft

Irons 2023 P790's with KBS tour lite 110gram shafts 5 - PW

M4 Wedges 58/54/50 degrees with KBS tourlite shafts

Putter Scotty Cameron Studio 2 black with blue writing.

The only taylormade club I have never used is a putter from them. Don't care much for their putters. But for about 10 years I was almost exclusively taylormade. I have played 5 or 6 different drivers of theirs, 3-4 different iron sets, handful of their wedges. The only reason I changed was to see if "the grass was greener." In some scenarios, the grass was a touch greener but probably not worth the effort ha I always find myself coming back to a taylormade driver at different points in my life until something shiny comes out. I'm now at the point of my life where I am content just playing what I have, but I know taylormade will call me home one day. 

I would say as a whole, taylormade does it the best. Clubs, balls, clothes, you name it... they are overall the best in my opinion.

9.8/10

Edited by Zelmo12
Typo

Generally speaking, TaylorMade is one brand of which I have pretty favorable views.  My first real set of fitted clubs were TMs, R7 driver/fairway and the rest (all except putter) Burners.  I even got a bonus and played their TP wedges for a while.  I played those clubs (except the wedges, which wore out) for 10 years and my game improved pretty significantly.  

Whenever I consider new clubs, TM is always a brand that's on the short list of clubs to try.  They innovate and are always at the leading edge of new tech.  Although I ultimately ended up with my current Mizuno MP223 games, a combo set of P770 and P760 irons were very competitive, probably finishing a very close third behind Titleist T150/T200 combo and the Mizunos.  The 790s, for whatever reason, didn't show as well for me; they were too "clicky" when I hit them.  Nevertheless, when I go to replace my current driver and fairways, whatever the TM driver is at the time will be on the short list.

Mizuno ST200G driver, Diamana White stiff

Mizuno ST200 Tour Spoon 3 wood, Diamana White stiff

Titleist TSR 7 wood, stiff

Mizuno MP223 irons, 4-GW, Nippon Modus X-stiff

Edison Forged wedges, 55 and 59 degree, KBS Tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom 5s

I've always thought they were a good brand and certainly like them better than Callaway, but don't really consider them for me.  I have it in my head they are a driver company with some other clubs.  I acknowledge they have a lot of top players right now.  Finally, I am going to consider MG4 wedges after your reviews when I need new wedges.

The only TM club I have is a Stealth 5 wood I bought on ebay. No fitting, gently used at time of purchase, but boy was that an unbelievable purchase. I wasn't planning to, but it was such a rocket that it made my PXG 3 wood completely unnecessary as the Stealth was longer, straighter, and easier to hit. I had used the 2021 Tour Response ball for a while, but moved onto other balls once they increased the price on the newer model. No problem with the ball, but once they hit $40 a dozen I decided to shop around.

Overall I have a positive view of Taylor Made, just haven't had occasion to put more of their clubs in my bag.

Driver:  image.png.25b88bc6657adc8ef65cd232b8c3e3c0.png Paradym Ai Smoke Max D 10.5

5 Wood: image.png.c75a49c5b54deeb3302c2c732db4027c.png 18* Stealth

7 Wood:  :PXG: 21* 0311X Gen 5

4H::callaway-small: Apex 21* (Plus 1)

Irons: 6-GW :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal

Wedges: image.png.76a05b8e4e7c73452868622ff940fc50.png CBX Zipcore 52*, :vokey-small: SM8 56*, SM5 60*

Putter:  image.png.9d18bfd3d6e693f404e1c44c376e36c2.png Golo 5 or  image.png.77a3cc84e56b1ac1b065e0f5548bbd2b.png White Hot #1 33.5" or Other...

Ball: Revolving Door

:Arccos:

I have been playing with TM Stealth irons for 5 years. They have helped improve my consistency and ball striking and as a result my distance and accuracy. However, new technology and materials have evolved since I bought my Stealth sticks. I am getting older, I suspect most of us are, I am looking seriously for an upgrade. Tour Edge interest me from a price point and quality viewpoint.

P.A. Renaud - Driver - Mizuno STX 230 

Irons - Taylormade Stealth 5 to Sand wedge

Putter - Taylormade Spider GTX

70 years old - disabled due to accident in Albania during 30 years service in Canadian Army.

Donator/Veteran

Broken 80 several times

Everyone has an opinion about the gold ol' TM boys, and in a business where having no publicity is bad publicity, it helps them stay at the forefront of the conversation.

From a product standpoint, I loved the products I've played with from them. The wedges are solid, the irons perform the way you'd expect them too even if they aren't standout standout, and I love their fairway woods and have for a long time. From the OG V Steel to my current Stealth I maintain they have the best sets of fairways in the game and the acquisition of Adams only furthered that for me when it happened and they've been reaping those benefits for years.

I think what they do with their limited releases and special editions make sense, they make the product look and feel different in a way to drive collectors to it and also the regular guy who wants a cool thing, like their Red Bull Partnership, the Pac-Man Ghost stuff from earlier this year, of the felt touch on the craps style TP5 Pix.

Just solid branding across the board and something wholly beneficial to their brand.

Edited by Berg Ryman

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Max, 12*, set -1/D, Project X RDX Smoke Red 50, 6.0 Flex

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:titleist-small: Prov V1X Left Dash... for now

I have a TaylorMade M1 Driver that I bought used when I started playing after a many year layoff from the game. Its fine, no issues with quality or performance (unlike my swing sometimes)

The thing about TM and Callaway to a lesser degree is that every year there is something new and better which, to me, is like they are saying what you have is not good enough. I understand that they are in the business of selling golf clubs but I think the planned obsolescence of their product diminishes its value. 

I am ready to buy new clubs this winter and I will most likely look to other brands including DTC.

Kind of a hot take here, but for what people make them up to be they are overrated. I have MG4's and the Qi10 (driver was because stealth head cracked, shocker, and wedges because I got a great price on them,) and to be honest they're nothing special. Not saying that they are bad clubs, but I feel like other brands just are better. The iron department is where I think they are SEVERLY overrated, every club they have with speedfoam that they claim gives forgiveness (which is true) also causes "jumpers" that fly 5-10 yards further and sometimes more. If you want to put out the best golf products you have to consider consistency with every shot and not count those as an outlier on the stat sheet. Also, being lefty with TaylorMade products also doesn't help this opinion, as they basically don't consider manufacturing for low handicap lefties. I can't get anything custom other than a driver, I am limited on wedge colors I can get (I wanted a blackout set, don't manufacture them) and the biggest one is that they don't make a P-7 TW in lefty, and their MB's look mediocre at best. That's my rant, still a good golf brand, but a little overrated.

Driver - Qi10 LS, UST Proforce V2 Tour shaft, 6F5

3/5 wood - Stealth 2 Plus, Ventus Blue TR 7X shaft

3 Iron - Titleist 716 MB - Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX

4-6 - Callaway X-Forged CB, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Shaft, X-Flex 130G

7-P - Callaway Apex MB 21, Nippon Pro Modus 3 Shaft, X-Flex 130G

52,56,60 - Taylormade MG4, Dynamic Golf S400

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach Premier Soft 4 (Blackout)

ALL LEFT HANDED

Morning all, I have a set of Taylor made P790’s. Had them for a few years. It took a while to get used to because they have a different feel than your regular cavity back. Once you get the feel for them they sound great ,you’ll gain yardage , and they are forgiving on miss hits. I personally have shaved five strokes off my game.  Happy golfing !

Golf….the toughest sport I’ve ever played !

So let me first start by saying that I have experienced many golf company's customer service departments, and I would say that TaylorMade is second to none.  They make sure that they do everything they can to get it right for their customers.  I am not saying that everything I have purchased has been the highest quality, but if a driver has broken, or if something isn't right about the fit, they have taken care of it or made it right every single time.  They put a lot of money behind the R&D of their products, and they are up there with anything on the market.  They have unique offerings when it comes to putters, and they have been willing to try different materials for their drivers (maybe because titanium was getting more expensive?).  IMO, they have earned the right to be considered whenever I am looking to buy new clubs. 

Jesse Stakes

You know, I don't think having a stable of professionals playing your gear makes it worthwhile for the masses.  "Fargiveness", while slightly humorous, is also a bit credulous coming from a guy who can hit it off the planet.  It takes me a driver and a wedge to get it out to his drive.  

I've played the Bubble and the Stealth 2+, and now the Qi10.  I can personally attest to the lack of durability of the carbon face.  Still, the Qi10 produces great results for me, though my recent testing of the Titleist GT 2 driver is proving that the GT is a bit more accurate and a couple yards longer even though it's heavier than the TM.

I've also used the TP5x and like it a lot, but it just doesn't give me the distance off the tee I like and need.  It feels great and plays well around the green and I may go back to it eventually.

Overall, Taylormade has proven that they are innovators and have brought these innovations to market regularly.  I'd say they helped push the industry forward at a time when clubs were pretty boring, and again a decade or so later when it seemed there was a lull in developments.  

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

A top-shelf brand IMO.  I have always liked their drivers, going back before the Bubble series.   Currently gaming a TM Stealth 2.  Also like their wedges.  Have tested various TM irons, never found one I liked.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  Lamkin Crossline 360 Grips, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

After my fitting I ended up walking away with a nearly a full bag of Taylormade product: Qi10 Driver and “4” wood (high loft 3), 4-6 p790, 7-pw p770, but ended up rounding out the bag with Cleveland wedges.  Durability of the carbon wood really wasn’t a factor, their warranty program is second to none and the performance far outweighed any concern of breaking it. 

I've been a longtime user of Taylormade golf clubs, specifically playing the Taylormade Sim 2 Max irons for years. These irons have been a game-changer for me, offering excellent forgiveness and consistency, which is perfect for mid to high handicappers. The feel on impact is solid, and the distance control has allowed me to confidently go after greens with precision. Well, what precision I have as a 18 handicap. They’ve certainly helped to improve my overall ball striking and approach play.

Recently, I upgraded my woods and hybrids, and I’m currently playing a Taylormade Qi10 Max driver, the Qi10 3-wood, Stealth 2 3-Hybrid, and a Qi10 5-hybrid. The Qi10 Max driver is incredibly forgiving, even on off-center hits. It’s also very easy to launch high while maintaining low spin, which has helped me maximize my distance off the tee without sacrificing control. The same goes for the Qi10 3-wood—it’s powerful and reliable, especially when hitting from the fairway.

The Stealth 2 3-hybrid is another standout in my bag. It’s perfect for those tricky long-iron shots or tight lies, giving me the confidence to attack the ball with versatility and control. I do love the satisying "click" the club makes when you make good contact. The Qi10 5-hybrid has become my go-to club for longer approach shots, offering similar forgiveness and distance while being easy to hit out of the rough or fairway.

Taylormade continues to impress with its blend of technology and performance. Their clubs cater to a wide range of golfers, and the consistency in design means that regardless of which clubs you use, you can expect quality results. Overall, I'm thrilled with the performance of my Taylormade set, and I can confidently recommend them to players looking to elevate their game.

Patrick O’Brien

Massena, NY

Home Course: Cedar View Golf Club

Bag: TM Qi10 Max Driver, TM Qi10 3W, TM Stealth 2 3H, Qi10 5H, TM Sim 2 MAx 6i-PW, Calloway Raw Jaws 50/56/60 Wedges, Odyssey Ai-One 7S Putter

Frankly, I dropped anything to do with TM after what and how they destroyed Adams Golf in 2012. Said one thing and did the other. As my mom always said...

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Never had any issues with TM gear that I've used, however I would say that they have a tendency more than most OEM's for selling the concept rather than selling the reality. What I mean is, they do tend to reinvent the wheel now and agian and extol the virtues of the technology behind their latest product, rather than evolving a product line with subtle changes to validate the core design philosophy. More than most of the other OEM's combined if we're being honest. Maybe market saturation of every conceivable idea (or 'gimmick') is their mantra to cover the most fickle or ambitious golfers of just about any level (or gender) is the logic?

Whatever - they've made some good stuff and some bad stuff (opinions vary).

My past experience with the Taylormade brand didn’t offer the results that i expected. I purchased a set of 770 irons after seeing the results of my fellow competitors. TBH, I wasn’t fitted for these irons and my game suffered from stability issues throughout the set. I did however have excellent results with the Spider EX putter. In conclusion, I can only assume that the irons didn’t suit my game but the putter is outstanding.

It was difficult to gauge quality when TM first started staking their claim in the post burner era.  Paying for players to put their drivers in play wasn't necessarily a testament to quality.  It was a great way to penetrate a competitive market.

Fast forward to today, do I think they make a good product, certainly.  When I think of TaylorMade I think social media / culture brand.

• PING G400 LST Mitsubishi Tensei White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Graham Ross said:

Not really a fan of Taylor made having used Titleist all my days, looking at Taylormade  from the side I  see constant change which not only keeps the cash machine ticking over but pushes other brands to change their equipment. 

Welcome to the forums Graham. Hope you enjoy the information you'll find. Glad you are sharing as well. Welcome aboard.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Not a fan of TM. Clearly they make good products but it seems their focus is more on flash, gimmicks and massive amounts of marketing. The whole carbon faced driver is a perfect example. 

I’ve also talked to a couple people in the golf industry who deal with TM regularly and it seems TM is not the best to deal with. You but our product and sell it. When we have promotions you can give the product you paid for away for free and we’ll pay you back. Eventually.

TM is only popular because of their marketing and how much they pay their pros. Tiger and Rory are perfect examples, I believe. When they became free agents they could pick any manufacturer they wanted. But TM offered big bucks so off they went

I used to be a Taylormade fanboy.  I would only play their TP5x's but I have recently changed.  This spring I ordered the P770's and they took forever to arrive.  The arrival date kept getting pushed back and then after two weeks of pushing it back they stopped updating it.  We got in contact with them and they made up a dumb excuse and tried to blame somebody.  It took nearly two months when it originally was supposed to be 2 weeks.  

I was happy once I got them but that has slightly changed.  I take good care of my clubs by washing them and not putting them in harms way, but the matte finish on the P770's has been slowly worn.

Jared Hotzler

I like TM. For the most part, I think they make high-quality stuff that more importantly, they stand behind. 

I say this as a guy that has played many TM drivers over the years. I've had 3 driver faces dent (M6, SIM, SIM2) and they have replaced them every time. To be honest, the questions of durability were heightened when the Stealth faces were seen to be detaching and that swayed my decision away from them for my last driver (Rogue ST LS). However, given how good their drivers usually are, they are never something I shy away from testing. 

The yearly release cycles don't seem to allow for massive jumps  in performance between models, but that is a double edged sword as it allows for picking up a last year's model on the cheap with "similar" performance as the newest one. 

The TP5x is fantastic and I could easily play that any day of the week vs my usual ProV1x. 

I love the TaylorMade drivers! That being said, I have never tried their irons or putters. I believe that their quality is on a par with other manufacturers. I believe their quality control is good. I don't hear of their equipment failing. Overall, TaylorMade strikes a positive chord with me.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

As seen in other posts and in the introduction, Taylormade doesn't command universal respect. Over the years I've had 4 TM drivers including an old "Pittsburgh Persimmon".  None has ever lasted in my bag for a full season for whatever reason. I like the look of their new blades, but that type of iron is no longer appropriate for my 77 year old game. I've also tried a couple Spyder putters. They didn't last long either. I have used the TP5, 5x and Tour Response balls and although I don't care for the "Pix", the balls are among my favorites. On the other hand, I'm obviously not a fan of TM clubs.

As previously noted, MMs are pretty pricey, but I guess they have to shuck out millions (and more millions) to pay the pros to play the clubs. That's a whole other topic because the pros get absolutely the best of the lot. If they don't like a $300-$500 shaft, they get a new one - free. Except, for all the experimenting they do and all the personnel and material costs that go with that, we end up paying for it when we buy clubs. To be sure, all the major OEMs do that. It's just that TM probably has more pros under contract than other manufacturers.

[For what its worth (not much), I've been a low single digit for almost 60 years and just switched from a "player's blade" to PXG Black Ops irons. I've had them for about a month and have shot the best scores I've had in years. I'm ordinarily shooting 75-80 but in my last 5 rounds my worst score was even and my best was -5. Having said that, I play from senior tees and the course is only about 5800 yards.]  I may still prefer the looks of my former gamer Apex irons, but the proof is in the results.

Play well and enjoy the journey.

I play:

PXG Black Ops driver, PXG 0311 4 wood adjusted to 16 degrees, Callaway 19 and 22 degree Hybrids, Tour Edge 25 degree hybrid, Black OPs Irons 6-PW, Callaway 50/54/58 degree wedges, Scotty Newport 2.0 (20 year old model). I generally play Pro V1, TP 5 and PXG Extreme balls.