Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

In For Review - Mizuno JPX-825 Pro Irons

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

Just arrived are the follow up to the hugely popular JPX-800 irons from Mizuno. Full disclosure, I haven't hit these yet, but for a club that walks the line between GI and a player's cavityback they're absolutely beautiful. If you liked the 800 pros, you're probably going to love these. We're going to get started on the review forthwith, but in the meantime, enjoy the pics, and let us know what you think.

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-1.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-4.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-6.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-7.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-10.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-12.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-19.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-22.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-23.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-25.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-27.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-28.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-30.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-36.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-37.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-41.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-43.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-44.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-45.jpg

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro-46.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Is it possible to remove the black portion of the cavity? I think they would look better without it, but not sure if that is actually an integral part of the iron.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

Is it possible to remove the black portion of the cavity? I think they would look better without it, but not sure if that is actually an integral part of the iron.

Anything is possible, but you'd be messing with the swing weight. As far as inserts go, this one isn't half bad...might even be half-good.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

It's not the prettiest badge on the market

Agree with you, but stripe a few and I'll bet they start to look better :rolleyes:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Those look promising. I like the black better than the chrome Nike went with on their VRII Full Cavities.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

• SPY VIP

How is it that I got these in a month before you T? You guys and your opinion is far more important to Mizzie I would think.

Solid clubs.

Don't underestimate your influence.

Actually there was a lot of back and forth with Mizuno during the Tour Staff Contest. The order got lost in the shuffle of all that. I blame RevKev. The upside is we've got a couple other things in as we'll.

Don't underestimate your influence.

Actually there was a lot of back and forth with Mizuno during the Tour Staff Contest. The order got lost in the shuffle of all that. I blame RevKev. The upside is we've got a couple other things in as we'll.

Rad. Any of the woods? I'd love to see them go through the Ultimate review process and see how they come out against everything else. Especially given how poo poo'ed Mizzie woods usually are.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Can't wait for the review. I have been very interested in the set since they came out, being on the border between players CBs and game improvement.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I haven't had as much buzz with my members around these a I did with the 800's. maybe it's that the guys who would look at these already have the 800 Pros and aren't looking to make a switch yet.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Looking forward to the review.

When the time comes for new irons (or should I rather say when the itch for some new irons comes), I'll definitely be looking at the JPX range.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

JPX8528pro, soooo goodlooking, can't wait to see them in real life !

In custom James Stewart golfbag:
Ping Tour-S Rustique 60/TS & 55/13 / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping i20 4-PW+UW / Ping CFS Stiff / Ping ID8
Ping G15 2H 17° & driver 9° / stiff aldila serrano / ping 703
Odyssey White Hot XG 2-Ball / 33" / 2°up
Srixon AD333 - Oakley Flack Jacket XLJ G30

So it's my fault T? :)

I certainly recognize these clubs - throw the nice blue px shafts on them and they look great - stiff a couple of irons and they look greatest. I'm very pleased to have a set of these bad boys in my bag.

I'll look forward to the review but as for me and my house we gladly sport the Mizuno banner at this point.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've recently tried them at a local Mizuno fitting centre once the guys got the right shaft sorted for me (Project X 5.0)they absolutely rocked. I compared them against the fabulous MP59's my average 6 iron swing speed is 80mph and I couldn't believe the ball speed and resultant extra distance (8-9 yards) I achieved with the same club head speed. The feel is not MP series but pretty damn close in my opinion add the forgiveness and again in my opinion great looks and you can't go wrong.

Stopped at a Golfsmith in IN and hit a lot of balls in the net last week with the 6i.

Nice feeling clubs, will be looking forward to your review.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Do you sell many of the JPXs outa your club? How's the breakdown of regular vs. Pro? How about the MP line? What's your top sellin MP iron?

I play outa a club & I'm curious how another in a big city breaks down.

Thanx

Fairways & Greens 4ever

We probably are 2 to 1 regular to Pro. The MP-59 is our top selling MP iron. At least 5 of them this season.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

What shafts did you go with? I'm looking forward to reading your review, I'm strongly considering get a set of these for Christmas.

Welcome CTeagle - is the CT because you're from Connecticut? That's my home state although it feels like forever since I lived there. I always miss CT especially in the fall.

I'm guessing that they will do the review with multiple shafts based on which tester likes what but could be wrong. I have Project x graphite 5.0's in mine and absolutely love them. Feels great, produces a nice medium high ball flight with lots of spin on the short irons.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Welcome CTeagle - is the CT because you're from Connecticut? That's my home state although it feels like forever since I lived there. I always miss CT especially in the fall.

I'm guessing that they will do the review with multiple shafts based on which tester likes what but could be wrong. I have Project x graphite 5.0's in mine and absolutely love them. Feels great, produces a nice medium high ball flight with lots of spin on the short irons.

Thanks, I am from Connecticut which is unfortunate at the moment because our season is about to end.

I'm planning on replacing my irons this winter and I had an opportunity to hit the 825 Pro 6 Iron w/ KBS Tour stiff and it felt great. I'm going to be fitted for whatever set I get, but that combo is certainly going to be the starting point. I'm having trouble deciding how long to hold out on getting fitted, though. I think the only unreleased set of irons that would interest me are the Callaway X-Forged but I'm not sure when those will be available to fitters. Any ideas?

I went to a different range from my normal one yesterday - had some business in a different part of the county. I love this range, it's associated with the Chi Chi Rodriquez golf course that was built for and continues to support youth golf - the course is short - 6,000 yards, in impeccable condition and the practice facilities are to die for - except that there isn't always enough grass - it's a combo mat/grass thing.

At any rate there's a mizuno punch line here. I will go to this range a few times a year - any time I'm in the north county and have gotten to know one of the pros a bit. I noticed that they have the RocketBladz's in and told him about the tour staff contest and my Mizuno's. His eyes glazed over and he said well you can't ever do better than Mizuno's - I played on the mini-tours with (can't remember what they were called) and then I had MP 20 somethings with riffle 6.0's in them but I sold them - Now I play xxxxx because that's what we feature here - I'd give anything to have those MP's back - I let him hit my 9 iron over on the range and he walked away, grabed his cell and called the guy whom he sold his MP's to - he was negotiating a deal to buy them back.

I also walked into a golf store for the first time since receiving my prizes - I had to buy some gloves. I looked at the new irons that are out - I was amazed, even though lots of you would say the JPX 825 Pros have a thick top line it looked like about every other club I set down was a hybrid next to them. I actually prefered the look to some of the MP line to anything else I looked at - even the Ping stuff and that has never happened - I've always been scared to death of even touching a Mizuno MP club. :blink:

What's next? Will I grow hair and howl at the full moon? :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Archived