Putting woes.........no more

My putting woes have been well documented on here, but I had never done anything about it. One day I was chatting with ManBearPig and he said "my putting turns an 85 into a 78", to which I responded "my putting turns a 68 into a 75". We started talking a little more in depth about my putting stroke/philosophy/routine; basically I didn't have one, except for a stroke and it was a pretty crappy one at that. So MBP put together a plan for me, that included a routine, new stance, new philosophy, and a new stroke. Here is a short breakdown.

Philosophy

Before

I never really had a "philosophy". I always just tried to get the ball close to the hole, so I didn't three putt.

After

Now I have the philosophy that if I just get it on the green, I'm going to make the putt; I'm not thinking about getting it close, I'm thinking and visualizing the putt going in. This has freed up my swing a little, because I'm not trying so hard to get it close, which has lead to better approach shots.

Routine

Before

I would look at the line from both sides, then chose my line, and hit the putt.

After

I'm reading the green from the fairway. When I place my bag off the green, I walk to the opposite of the hole to put it down and take a quick glance. Then I get a feel for distance by walking off from the hole to my ball. Take another glance and go with the first line that I see. I then stand over the ball and take two practice strokes while looking at the hole to get a feel for the stroke. Finally, I hit the putt.

Stance

Before

I was slouched over, hands low and away from my body, and my eyes were well inside the ball.

After

I'm standing up taller, my hands are higher and closer to my body, and my eyes are directly over the ball.

Stroke

Before

LOL, well, I just hit the damn ball. No thoughts,no certain "feel", I just hit it.

After

I have the feeling that the back of the left/lead hand is pushing the putter back and that the back of the right/back hand is pushing the putter through impact. I'm also taking the putter back much slower and accelerating through the ball. Taking it back slower is really allowing me to better control the speed.

Results

Before

I have AVERAGED 36 putts per round pretty much my entire playing career; for every one putt, I'd have a three putt. It was due to both poor lines and shotty distance control.

After

I have played 6 rounds since working with MBP and I am averaging 31 putts per round (thats 5 strokes less for those that can't do math :P ) and four of those rounds I've had between 26-30 putts. Every single putt I'm hitting has a chance to go in and over those 6 rounds, I've only left MAYBE a handful of putts short and everything is finishing within 18"-24" of the hole. I'm not going to say I have eliminated the three putts, but the few three putts that I have had, have come from the 65'+ range.

Finally

I want give give a big "Thanks" to MBP. He has taken a part of the game that I have dreaded for years and turned it into a part I actually enjoy. Once I get some of these lipouts to start falling, I'm going to be posting some stupid scores.

That's great I think my putting routine is a lot like your old one I will have to try this a see if it works for me

Great post JBones!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Awesome! I may have to borrow some of these tips to help my own putting

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm really glad this works for you Bonsey. Anything else give me a shout.

Anyone else out there want take a look at the video I sent JB pm me. It's a bit dorky so I don't wanna post here :D

I'd love to see it, but fair warning, if it actually is really dorky I'm reserving the right to post it anyway :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Putting is definitely a game changer. I have a link in my signature called instinct putting. For anyone who wishes to read that. I certainly agree that good putting take the strain off the rest of the game.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well, you had to expect me to comment :lol: This is not to say MBP isn't doing great things or that I want to change what you are doing, whatever works fine.

Philosophy

Before

I never really had a "philosophy". I always just tried to get the ball close to the hole, so I didn't three putt.

After

Now I have the philosophy that if I just get it on the green, I'm going to make the putt; I'm not thinking about getting it close, I'm thinking and visualizing the putt going in. This has freed up my swing a little, because I'm not trying so hard to get it close, which has lead to better approach shots.

Interesting, I guess that could explain why you were telling me you were getting over aggressive to pins on approach shots.

Routine

Before

I would look at the line from both sides, then chose my line, and hit the putt.

After

I'm reading the green from the fairway. When I place my bag off the green, I walk to the opposite of the hole to put it down and take a quick glance. Then I get a feel for distance by walking off from the hole to my ball. Take another glance and go with the first line that I see. I then stand over the ball and take two practice strokes while looking at the hole to get a feel for the stroke. Finally, I hit the putt.

Great job on this one MBP. Everyone should have a putting routine like they do with every other shot. Putts count as much as a 300 yard drive :)

Stance

Before

I was slouched over, hands low and away from my body, and my eyes were well inside the ball.

After

I'm standing up taller, my hands are higher and closer to my body, and my eyes are directly over the ball.

I have worked with Burnt Edges Consulting for over a year now with access to Bruce's Puttlab research on putting. I know from doing things that were "popular" or thought to be "more efficient" ways of putting they only just ended up giving me conflicts in my natural stroke.

When I started working with Bruce the first thing we did was find my posture that I best could see the putting line without a putter in my hand. This dictates the putters lie angle and length just by allowing your arms to hang down naturally. We just turned the putter into a ruler basically to help get in the same posture every time I addressed the ball.

Fit the putter to the player not the player to the putter. That's sort of how I feel personally. If anything that I have learned from Bruce is that each individual will have slightly different perceptions and thus should have different postures. You have to work the putter around the players natural tendencies.

I only think to my self is a posture change needed based on the perception of the line to the player? That is really the only reason I would ever tell anyone to change their putting posture is if they see the line better in a different position.

Stroke

Before

LOL, well, I just hit the damn ball. No thoughts,no certain "feel", I just hit it.

After

I have the feeling that the back of the left/lead hand is pushing the putter back and that the back of the right/back hand is pushing the putter through impact. I'm also taking the putter back much slower and accelerating through the ball. Taking it back slower is really allowing me to better control the speed.

Putter weight can help slow down or speed up a players stroke. I know for sure it does mine, because I just got an optimal weight finally. Heavier will in general be slower, lighter faster. You might try to add some weight to the head with those 2g tungsten square swing weights, lead tape, etc just to be able to know how much you added. You can always remove the weight if you feel like it's too heavy for you and you block or steer the putter.

Results

Before

I have AVERAGED 36 putts per round pretty much my entire playing career; for every one putt, I'd have a three putt. It was due to both poor lines and shotty distance control.

After

I have played 6 rounds since working with MBP and I am averaging 31 putts per round (thats 5 strokes less for those that can't do math :P ) and four of those rounds I've had between 26-30 putts. Every single putt I'm hitting has a chance to go in and over those 6 rounds, I've only left MAYBE a handful of putts short and everything is finishing within 18"-24" of the hole. I'm not going to say I have eliminated the three putts, but the few three putts that I have had, have come from the 65'+ range.

Very nice, good to hear that you are putting better, as many of my comments as I make I can't argue with results. Lets hope that this is a long term solution that you can stick to and when you start missing a few putts that should go in have enough convection not to change it.

Finally

I want give give a big "Thanks" to MBP. He has taken a part of the game that I have dreaded for years and turned it into a part I actually enjoy. Once I get some of these lipouts to start falling, I'm going to be posting some stupid scores.

Great job overall MBP, good to see JB posting better scores.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Great job overall MBP, good to see JB posting better scores.

I figure I've given you enough love for my swing, that it was time to share some of the love. :D

I feel like all the things I've been working on for the past few months are all starting to click........just in time for tournament golf.

I can tell you for me I just run the routine and hit the putt as I normally would.

even with the delay?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is when do you start going through the motions, because when solo I like to play quick so I normally just walk up get a feel for it, walk around and hit, but when i'm in a group inevitably the walk around time gets tripled...

But I digress. I think the important message here is that a routine is incredibly helpful, both to your score and sanity, and it looks like MBP led you to golf gold JB

Thanks JM. Means a lot coming from you.

No problem, I give credit when credit is due :)

I know from our conversations that you can putt, chip, pitch, bunkers, wedges. I got a great tip from my instructor the other day about tournament golf that applies to making swing changes. Take an inventory of your shots that you know you can pull off. When the round really matters only play the shots in that innovatory and don't try something unfamiliar. You can screw around with mechanics on the range and in practice rounds where score means nothing, when score means a lot just play what you know works.

I figure I've given you enough love for my swing, that it was time to share some of the love. :D I feel like all the things I've been working on for the past few months are all starting to click........just in time for tournament golf.

No its all good, I just wanted to add a little more to what you already have. I know you got 65 to 68 in the bag now you just have to go do it.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

• 2 weeks later...

I do have to say I find this really interesting. I have always had a pretty straight forward putt mentality of "no 3 putts". I typically look at my first putt and tell my self to just get it within 5 feet of the hole and make the 2nd putt. I have taken a couple short notes to refer to tonight while practicing my chipping and putting for the week. I am sure it won't be anything remarkable after an hour or so to start but if it helps long term reduce strokes in a round I am all for it! Great before and after comparison that really should help a lot of readers relate.

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

How long does this routine take? Sounds lengthy.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Nice post, JBones. And keep up the good putting.

Great job, MBP!

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

How long does this routine take? Sounds lengthy.

Not long at all; I timed it the other day actually. I was the first to putt and had a 25'er. From setting down my bag, to striking the putt, then pulling out my phone to stop the timer, it was a total of 36.8 seconds. Most of the time I'm not putting first, so it's maybe half the length of time.

• 2 weeks later...

The way you write it, it sounds so easy...

What I've found is I'm good on fast greens, but on slower ones I lose all control of how hard I should hit it. I played a round earlier this year at West point and think I had 1 three putt. In plenty of other rounds this year, I've had many more 3 putts or 2 putts that really should have been 1 putts and it's almost always due to the slow or inconsistent green speed.

Archived