Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Srixon commercial

revkev

I recognize that all of the OEMs run commercials that border on the ridiculous. Of all of them the one that I find most offensive is the one about a tour level ball hurting some players because there is additional spin.

I've asked so many people about this and all agree that it is a preposterous claim. The difference in spin rates off the driver between balls is hardly enough to make this difference.

Worse for me than the ridiculous claim by Srixon is Peter Jacobsen being the spokesperson. I no longer trust anything he's saying even when he's on the air covering golf. That's a shame, I'm sure he was doing it for a paycheck and as he comes from an era where the statement was true probably believed it.

It's a huge pet peeve of mine, this commercial. Oh and it aired while I was starting this thread. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've seen it twice in the past day and had the exact same feelings about it. Really annoyed with it.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I agree Rev, in part.  As you remember my wife plays the yellow Z-Star, and she hits it pretty straight.  She won't play anything else.  She found a yellow Q-Star once and said it felt like hitting a rock.  She hit it into the water hazard, on purpose!  The pro gave her a yellow Srixon Soft Feel; she didn't like that either.

I really doubt there is much difference off the tee due to spin, but I will say that the difference around the green between a tour ball like the Z-Star and the Q-Star for an average player can be significant and the Q-Star might be a better fit.  The reason I say this is that a tour ball can spin too much for the average player.  When chipping the ball, the average player usually doesn't impart much spin and the ball rolls out.  They get used to it.  But every once in awhile, they hit a chip with lots of spin and it checks up too quickly.  A tour ball can be difficult for the average player to be consistent.  I know, I felt that way not long ago before I started practicing at my new club's facility.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not sure, when I use the pro v1 I do find that the off axis spin (side spin) is quite a bit higher than I get with say chrome soft, or snell or similar ball, I have not tried the Q star, I'm not a fan of Srixon anyway, but I don't think the claims are preposterous, for me and how I hit the ball I do experience what Srixon claims, how that will relate to other golfers I don't have the data, but I would say it isnt completely incorrect, but it does if anything show that finding a ball that you as an individual like is very important.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I agree around the green that's the point of the ball difference. The commercial is directed at spin off the tee ball. If you follow it's logic no one should play the Srixon Your ball because it spins too much. :)

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Not sure, when I use the pro v1 I do find that the off axis spin (side spin) is quite a bit higher than I get with say chrome soft, or snell or similar ball, I have not tried the Q star, I'm not a fan of Srixon anyway, but I don't think the claims are preposterous, for me and how I hit the ball I do experience what Srixon claims, how that will relate to other golfers I don't have the data, but I would say it isnt completely incorrect, but it does if anything show that finding a ball that you as an individual like is very important.

Then you are the exception because all the data I've seen and any ball person that I've spoken to has said there isn't enough spin difference off the driver to have as dramatic a directional difference as the commercial depicts.

Its golf though and as we know there are always exceptions. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Spin rate is too difficult for the average golfer to understand.  Do they (the commercial makers) realize that hitting on a launch monitor to get your spin "numbers" isn't something that everyone does or even has access to?  How in the world are you supposed to know your spin rate?  

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Rev, I'm with you that the commercial is annoying, but I don't agree that it's misleading.  While the difference in spin off the driver might not be huge, a few hundred RPM could be the difference between hitting a fairway or being in a bunker or the rough.

Ignore the "off the tee" remarks then it becomes even more relevant.  Some people will play better with a lower spinning ball, some won't.  I think the important part of the commercial is to start thinking of your ball like you do the rest of your equipment.  Experiment with different models and see what works best for your game.  Even better go through a ball fitting.

I play the Snell MTB and sometimes I consider switching to something that doesn't spin so much.  The last few rounds I've been sucking them back 10-20 feet on full wedge and short iron shots when I really don't want to.  Then I hit a pitch that one hops and stops and realize I couldn't give that part of it up.

FWIW here is the Direct to Consumer golf ball guide that MGS did a while back.  Look at the difference in driver spin numbers just on these 7 balls.  Most are within a couple hundred RPM but the difference between high and low is 800 rpm.  If you hit a draw or fade with that much more spin it could be a deal breaker.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/direct-to-consumer-golf-ball-buyers-guide/

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Nothing will ever be worse than the Rory/Omega commercial. Nothing.

ogio_logo1.jpg?w=690Shredder Stand Bag /  :taylormade-small: TP SLDR S Mini 16* /  adams-golf-logo.jpg?w=690Pro DHy 18* /  :cobra-small: Baffler 7w 20* /   :cobra-small: King F6 irons 5i-GW /                                     bsglogo1.jpg?w=690 J15 54* /  putt.jpg?w=690 Sierra 101-Soft /  :srixon-small: Z-star balls / all shafts regular flex / Lamkin Crossline Ace 3GEN oversize grips 

Off the tee is the point of the commercial. Things change dramatically off wedges and around the green even within the tour ball category. I also understand not wanting to play a your like ball because you can't control the spin on short shots.

I remain convinced that you fit the ball inside of 100 and most balls perform about the same off the driver so who cares.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Really disappointed in Peter Jacobsen for this.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

In part I agree with Rev on this but one BIG factor no one has mentioned there are many variables on this. It also has to do with what driver head and what shaft one plays. it also has a lot to do with one's swing path. i could go on with variables and they are numerous.

And yes I think that for the average recreational golfer that commercial can be misleading. Remember guys most of this advertising media is aimed at the average Joe recreational golfer and they are not as versed on the game as us MGSers are

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I agree Rev, in part.  As you remember my wife plays the yellow Z-Star, and she hits it pretty straight.  She won't play anything else.  She found a yellow Q-Star once and said it felt like hitting a rock.  She hit it into the water hazard, on purpose!  The pro gave her a yellow Srixon Soft Feel; she didn't like that either.

I really doubt there is much difference off the tee due to spin, but I will say that the difference around the green between a tour ball like the Z-Star and the Q-Star for an average player can be significant and the Q-Star might be a better fit.  The reason I say this is that a tour ball can spin too much for the average player.  When chipping the ball, the average player usually doesn't impart much spin and the ball rolls out.  They get used to it.  But every once in awhile, they hit a chip with lots of spin and it checks up too quickly.  A tour ball can be difficult for the average player to be consistent.  I know, I felt that way not long ago before I started practicing at my new club's facility.  

Actually I like all 3 of those Srixon balls but I like the soft feel the best. I think for me with the "classic" irons I play it gives me a better feel. Now off the driver I hit the Q and Z Stars maybe 3 to 5 yards further but for me I think I have better control off the driver with the soft feel. As far as short game I like the soft feel better but that is just me

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

IF this commercial gets people to actually **think** about what ball they use then I think it has won at least half the battle.

Just picking up a ball found in the woods and deciding to play it on the next hole isn't always the best idea...  ;)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Well it's got us talking about balls so that's okay I suppose. One thing that we've failed to mention since we are on to Joe average is this: pick a ball, any ball and play it. Don't start the round with a pinnacle then switch to. Pro VI followed by a chrome soft.

Golf is tough enough without creating variables like that.

Also being able to spin the ball around the green is a big advantage. Joe about recommending that Joe average takes short game lessons so that he learns how to spin those short shots.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Rev, I'm with you that the commercial is annoying, but I don't agree that it's misleading. While the difference in spin off the driver might not be huge, a few hundred RPM could be the difference between hitting a fairway or being in a bunker or the rough.

Ignore the "off the tee" remarks then it becomes even more relevant. Some people will play better with a lower spinning ball, some won't. I think the important part of the commercial is to start thinking of your ball like you do the rest of your equipment. Experiment with different models and see what works best for your game. Even better go through a ball fitting.

I play the Snell MTB and sometimes I consider switching to something that doesn't spin so much. The last few rounds I've been sucking them back 10-20 feet on full wedge and short iron shots when I really don't want to. Then I hit a pitch that one hops and stops and realize I couldn't give that part of it up.

FWIW here is the Direct to Consumer golf ball guide that MGS did a while back. Look at the difference in driver spin numbers just on these 7 balls. Most are within a couple hundred RPM but the difference between high and low is 800 rpm. If you hit a draw or fade with that much more spin it could be a deal breaker.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/direct-to-consumer-golf-ball-buyers-guide/

I hate to be a pain but the Tour type balls in the MGS test are the ones with the lower spin rates not the mid level type balls that Srixon is touting. I'm telling you that this AD is as bogus as it gets. It is beyond deceptive preying upon yesterday's truth.

Carry it to its logical conclusion. If Srixon's tour level ball spins so much more off the driver that it makes a significant accuracy distance to its mid level ball off the driver none of their players would play it because they'd be at a huge disadvantage.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I hate to be a pain but the Tour type balls in the MGS test are the ones with the lower spin rates not the mid level type balls that Srixon is touting. I'm telling you that this AD is as bogus as it gets. It is beyond deceptive preying upon yesterday's truth.

Carry it to its logical conclusion. If Srixon's tour level ball spins so much more off the driver that it makes a significant accuracy distance to its mid level ball off the driver none of their players would play it because they'd be at a huge disadvantage.

The tour level player and top amateur may have low driver spin numbers, but I know I don't. I'm above 3000 rpm on my driver consistently. I used to play Bridgestone b-330, Tmag tour preferred, Srixon z-star, and titleist prov1 exclusively. I switched to the Bridgestone e6 (because my mother in law gave them to me) and was straighter off the tee and longer all around with limited loss in stopping power.

But I wouldn't suggest the same for others who don't have high driver spin rates.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for the comment sproutland again though my concern isn't that a player has high spin numbers off the driver - that's a struggle for lots of players - the issue is what will the spin number be for you across the board.  What will the launch rate be across the board as well.

I would suggest that there is a pro level ball out there that would reduce your spin numbers as well - better if you weren't fit for your current driver there may be a way to reduce that spin level with a different head or shaft or head/shaft combo.

If you look at the spin numbers from the MGS test the tour type balls are not the ones producing the highest spin rates. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The tour level player and top amateur may have low driver spin numbers, but I know I don't. I'm above 3000 rpm on my driver consistently. I used to play Bridgestone b-330, Tmag tour preferred, Srixon z-star, and titleist prov1 exclusively. I switched to the Bridgestone e6 (because my mother in law gave them to me) and was straighter off the tee and longer all around with limited loss in stopping power.

But I wouldn't suggest the same for others who don't have high driver spin rates.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There goes the variables again. For some reason the Bridgestone E-6 has became a popular ball with the tourist crowds because I have found quite a few this season. For me the ball does not carry off my driver as far and has minimual roll out. I can not stop it with mid and short irons and it feels clicky off the putter to me. Now on the other hand the Bridgestone Treo Soft I love as much as the Srixon Soft Feel. In fact I got a bunch more Treo Softs the other week on sale. Good example of why I guess they make so many different balls. One just has to find the correct ball to go with their equipment and game set up.

G

Now Stu's last statement is very true - there are tons of choices out there what might be best for me may not be for another player.  I will go back to an earlier post - the key is to pick a ball that fits you and stick with it for a while.  There is a noticeable difference from ball to ball and you don't want to create a variable that doesn't need to be.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived