Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Official Forum Member Review - BEN HOGAN GOLF PTx IRON REVIEW

JBones

Well.... At least I know that the stuff in my review is what you are wanting to know. haha These were all talking points for me.

ditto

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll prolly change mine after the season. I don't see the shafts lasting either so might as well do it all at once

Grips may be getting changed sooner than later. Had a lesson today and they just felt worse.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 2 weeks later...

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Good job under! I felt the same way about the shafts as you did. Just don't know how much you can go after it.

I'm on the search for another set of Ctapers so I can rebuild for stage 3. I can't put my finger on it but something about these shafts just doesn't feel right

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Sorry for the lack of a bump. I was trying to wait for a link directly to my review to become available. 

@Theo yea its just not what I'm used to man. I can make them work but they aren't ideal.

@Coog I honestly think these shafts will fit most players better than the stuff I would need/play. I just like heavier stuff that helps me launch the ball lower. It is probably from swinging baseball bats for so many years. Big difference in swinging something 30-31oz and then switching to something that weighs 11oz. lol 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Bumping for my Stage 2 review being up

Bumping for my Stage 2 review being up

FINALLY lol jk

Very nice Hcky!

The STAGE 2 reviews are pretty awesome....I really like the honesty from the Players.  Remember, not all clubs are perfect and they are not fit for every player.  That said, I really like these and hope that I can swing them someday....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I really liked the shafts. I had really been looking to get lighter shaft sin my clevelands. the s300 sometime late in rounds got heavy feeling. 

S300 SLs.  I had the same issue with the standard s300s and got fit into the S300 SLs. 

S300 SLs.  I had the same issue with the standard s300s and got fit into the S300 SLs. 

Another route to go would be the XP line from DG

Shot 75 with them today.  I doubled 18 for that 75 as well.  As much as I want to put C-tapers in these the Tour-V's are starting to grow on me.  I may just need a grip change and lie angle check.  

Had another long lesson with these today. Loving the heads more and more. Distance control is something I've never had huge control over when I'm hitting more than a 52° but today I was flighting 8is 130-140 with ease. It's gonna be fun once I swap these shafts to something that fits

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys... you asked...

For the reviewers - any/all of you... no one in particular.

This is from the Hogan site:

"The first game improvement iron that gives you the confidence and forgiveness you desire, with the feel, precision and consistency you refuse to give up"

Not sure how many of you play 'game improvement' irons but how do you feel about this? Would you classify these as 'game improvement' If you had to put a handicap range on these what would be your estimate?

How is the forgiveness on off-center hits? Is it a big loss of yardage/accuracy?

What's your dispersion like? Are most of your shots within the same area?

You all got personalized lofts. Do you like the lofts on the irons versus the iron number? How do you determine which club to use if you are used to grabbing a numbered iron versus one with a loft on it? Are the lofts accurate in relation to the distance you hit your numbered irons? How long did it take for you to get used to the loft numbers?

From the Hogan site: "In the lower lofts, however, a progressive hollow construction ensures higher ball flights, while the thicker face technology delivers a steeper landing angle with more spin to hold the green on your long approaches."

Do you notice any difference in the 'scoring' clubs (P/9i/8i/7i) versus the lower lofted clubs? (6i/5i/4i) Do they feel different? Sound different? Is what is being advertised above correct?

I realize the shafts make a big difference in ball flight but how are the trajectories with the shafts you ordered? High? Ballooning? Piercing?

How are they out of the rough? Or a fairway bunker? Does the "V" sole make a difference?

What do you think of the grips? Would you change them? Keep them?

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback...

StrokerAce

Sorry for the late reply. You ask a lot great questions.

Do I consider these a game improvement iron? Really not sure yet. The higher angle scoring irons I think fit this description but the lower lofted ones don't. Could just be my struggles.

Mis hits go 80% to 90% of the distance.

It's really he improved feedback that I like. With this maybe it is a game improvement because you certainly get the feedback of how your hitting....

I'm still not convinced about the iron labels...i.e. Angles instead of the standard numbering. There still is this little voice in my head that questions if I am pulling the right club.... More time will tell.

I'll get to more of your questions later on. Got to go back to work....☹️

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone who didn't like the shafts found a replacement yet? I spent sometime after my lesson trying things with my coach. Tried the PX LZ shaft and it was a dud for me, but old reliable DG was a stand out performer

My stage 3 review is up.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/16384-official-forum-member-review-ben-hogan-golf-ptx-iron-review/?p=216638

At the end of the day the Hogans and I just weren't meant to be.  At this point in time I don't have any plans to rebuild them this season.  I'm starting to think that even if I swapped the shafts for C-Tapers and rebuilt them I would still be missing the added forgiveness of the Speedblades.  

I think I fell in love with the gapping with the PTx's and let that cloud my judgement on whether they were actually a good fit for me.  Since switching back to the Speedblades I'm hitting an addition 3-5 greens per round and actually getting birdie putts instead of scrambling for par.  

I loved the gapping so much though that I did buy an additional Speedblade 9i so I can play around with bending one strong and one weak to try and match the loft gapping of the Hogans.  I don't play the Speedblade PW either so I might bend that strong too and see what gives me the yardages that the Hogans did.

Great write-up hcky. I really appreciate your honesty and true feelings. I think you were able to communicate exactly what your feeling and thinking very well.

I'm surprised at the lack of shaft options - especially for the price. I hope this is something that changes in the future as well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Great write-up hcky. I really appreciate your honesty and true feelings. I think you were able to communicate exactly what your feeling and thinking very well.

I'm surprised at the lack of shaft options - especially for the price. I hope this is something that changes in the future as well.

I'm guessing they just don't have the volume that the big guys have to offer more than one or two no upcharge options.  With the current trend in the industry of offering so many no cost options though I really think they will need to go that route.  

I'm guessing they just don't have the volume that the big guys have to offer more than one or two no upcharge options.  With the current trend in the industry of offering so many no cost options though I really think they will need to go that route.  

I think I counted 4 or 5 no cost shaft options and then some additional upcharge options. One other thing I noticed was that if you contacted them, they said they could provide you with just about any shaft as long as it was from a major manufacturer. I'm guessing Hogan figures that most people who are going to spend 1200 on a set of irons are going to at least call them at some point. That last part is of course speculation on my part. 

I think I counted 4 or 5 no cost shaft options and then some additional upcharge options. One other thing I noticed was that if you contacted them, they said they could provide you with just about any shaft as long as it was from a major manufacturer. I'm guessing Hogan figures that most people who are going to spend 1200 on a set of irons are going to at least call them at some point. That last part is of course speculation on my part. 

They built my Ft. Worth 15s and Ft. Worth 15 Hi with recoil 110 F5s.....odd ball shaft from a major manufacturer so I would say you are spot on.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Screenshot of what they offer online.  I am sure there are more if you call Hogan and talk with them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

$1200 for a nice set of new irons is pretty much par for the course now.  Most major OEM's are also in that ball park for their flagship offerings, but also offer a lot of shafts for no upcharge.  I wasn't trying to say you couldn't get any specific shaft from Hogan, just that I could get the shaft I wanted from TMaG, Mizuno or Callaway without having to pay an extra $10 a club.

If they want to compete with the big OEM's I think it would be in their best interest to also offer more no upcharge shaft options.

My biggest question is forgiveness, I've been reading the results so my questions were being answered. I'm currently a 17, and those beauties are probably out of my league. I'm a bogey golfer, 85-90 range . Those irons do look sweet!!! I'll keep on reading these posts with interest

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

My stage 3 is up. Over all I am impressed with the clubs. Like most everyone else has said the KBS flies a little high. I feel I could get the ball to check up a little more with some different shafts but I cant be too picky.

My biggest question is forgiveness, I've been reading the results so my questions were being answered. I'm currently a 17, and those beauties are probably out of my league. I'm a bogey golfer, 85-90 range . Those irons do look sweet!!! I'll keep on reading these posts with interest

It really depends on the forgiveness you are looking for. If you need distance help these are not perfect by any means. That being said if it goes off the toe and you want it to fly to the target youll see some good resuts

Check out my personal Equipment Blog and Podcast!

Huntingforbirdies.com

I probably missed this but were you not offered shafts of your choices and had to get the KBS Tous V? The irons look great but in this market proper shafts are such an imperative step (I learned with the JPX EZ).

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

You're starting to see a no uncharge trend for shafts.  Mizuno offers a handful of no uncharge alternatives.  Srixon seems to be taking the lead here - with the entire KBS catalog available at no uncharge, along with the entire Dynamic Golf and Project X catalog.  They're also offering a few of the Nippon shafts at no uncharge, as well.  It's easily the most aggressive in the business right now.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived