GolfSpy Barbajo

ECCO Shoe Launch

Our Sponsors

Did he have the new M1 so MGS can test it

Sent from MyGolfSpy mobile

He was playing last years M2. Said he'll most likely move to the new woods - he's tried the irons but no decision yet.

IMG_1659.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

Some more shots of the Cool. Not sure if the pix do the shoe justice, but it is a pretty nice looking shoe. And quite comfy - can't wait to try it out in wet conditions

• Like 1

Do they provide any data on how waterproof they will be? Seem like they wouldn't thrive at that... Also, did you get a chance to try on the spikeless?

They look like they place your feet really high off the ground.  What happened??  Seems like several years ago Adidas was marketing shoes that put your feet closer to the ground.  I bought into that when I went to True Linkswear.  I'm not sure I could go back to a tall sole.

• Like 1

Very cool experience with The Big Easy.   Shoes look "cool" I may have to try a pair out this year.

Interesting factoid - shoe market today is 51% spiked, 49% spikeless. Last year most new tech was in the spiked end of the market.

That's got to be false. "Most new tech in spiked"? Tell that to Nike and Adidas who actually had some new, interesting, functional and well liked spikeless tech released recently. 

ECCO has fallen behind. Their design isn't moving in the right direction. They used to combine laid-back style with quality. Now it's just strange stuff that's not their style at all. It's just like watching FJ trying to make spikeless shoes that someone actually wants to buy. If it was a clip on youtube it would be of an anaconda trying to swallow a goat. Slow and painful for everyone involved.

• Like 2

That's got to be false. "Most new tech in spiked"? Tell that to Nike and Adidas who actually had some new, interesting, functional and well liked spikeless tech released recently. 

ECCO has fallen behind. Their design isn't moving in the right direction. They used to combine laid-back style with quality. Now it's just strange stuff that's not their style at all. It's just like watching FJ trying to make spikeless shoes that someone actually wants to buy. If it was a clip on youtube it would be of an anaconda trying to swallow a goat. Slow and painful for everyone involved.

AMEN

Ecco is definitely forgetting who they are. Those shoes are so ugly Rickie Fowler wouldn't wear them.

• Like 2

Actually it kinda jibes, at least market share-wise, with what adidas told us last year - that it was about a 50-50 split in sales of spiked vs spikeless. Their assertion last year was that spiked sales would be on the rise.

My guess is that it's probably going to stay that way - with slight shifts one way or the other. Personally I'm a spikeless guy but grew to really like the Tour Boost 360.

Seriously, what is an ECCO shoe supposed to look like? What is their "style?" When I think of ECCO, I think of comfort more than style. They caught lightening in a bottle in 2010 when Fred Couple wore them in the Masters - if that hadn't happened would they have ever gained a - pardon the pun - foothold in the industry?

Personally, I'm very intrigued with the new Cage Pro with Boa.

Can we have a profile shot of the Cage shoe please?

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

They're claiming the some is "self-cleaning," - I'd like to see that in action.

• Like 2

Some bits and pieces from the presentation today -- from David Helter, ECCO USA's Director of Sales:

ECCO has 6 factories throughout Europe and Asia, and they are the 5th largest Tannery in the world

They provide high grade leather to Wilson Sporting Goods for their baseball gloves

In 2010, there was no real "hybrid" (spikeless casual) shoe business until the Freddy Couples and the Masters, They had sold "several" thousand pairs prior to the Masters, but Couples' air time boosted interest and they sold more than 10 times that many by the end of the year.

ECCO says they had the market pretty much to themselves until later in 2011. By 2016 they say the market is pretty much 50-50 and, according to ECCO and despite what Furu says  :lol: , the major shoe launches in 2016 were in the spiked end of the spectrum. 

ECCO also says 50% of the golfers out there have never tried spikeless shoes, claiming they doubt they'll get enough traction. I'm not sure how those numbers jibe - it's a 50-50 market and the 50% that isn't using spikeless shoes have never tried them?  

ECCO says the ECCO Cage Pro sole is "self-cleaning," and will keep grass and crud from clogging up the tread.

The ECCO Cool is a join venture with GoreTex, and their goal is to create a shoe that's both water proof and breathable. They use a GoreTex "breathable comfort membrane" for the upper, to keep water from getting in and also allowing foot sweat to escape.  They also say they've been able to let moisture escape through the sole with a breathable insole through what they call a special GoreTex Surround Gasket and Surround Comfort Spacer in the sole of the show.

The holes on the side of the sole are for venting of moisture. The claim is that this system will keep your feet cool and 100% dry - yep, they said 100% and they've tested the crap out of it in the lab and on the course -- they test for both heat and humidity inside the shoe with sensors.  

It was dry today, so there we didn't test the waterproof part of the claim. I suppose I should have walked into one of the ponds to retrieve an errant shot, but wasn't sure about alligators  :unsure: .  It was pretty warm and humid, but the feet didn't feel particularly hot or moist - but then again they weren't "cool" either.  

I'll give the shoes pretty high marks for comfort - they really did feel nice. Style? I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but to my eye they look pretty nice.  There are some pics attached for other color combos if the white, read and blue don't do it for you. 

Did they feel "high," as Kenny asks?  Didn't seem so - I played crappy, but not sure I can blame the shoes. I suppose if the height is different from what you're used to it would be unusual, but I can't imagine that it would take that long to adjust.  

Also included are some shots of the ECCO Cage Pro BOA, and what ECCO is calling the Spyder Sole

DSCF0751_bearbeitet-1.jpg

DSCF0773_bearbeitet-1.jpg

ECCO Boa.JPG

ECCO Golf - Cage Pro BOA - White.jpg

ECCO Golf - Cage Pro BOA Group.jpg

ECCO Golf SS17 - Men's Cage Pro Boa Outsole.jpg

ECCO Golf SS17 - Men's Cage Pro Boa_Shadow White.jpg

ECCO_PR_2017_MENS COOL 160728-Golf47488.jpg

• Like 2

Ok not gonna lie, those shoes with the spagetti strings strapped acrose the top of the shoe is not my cup of tea.  What I do like are the solid color ones that they offer. 

post-2876-0-94183100-1481069650_thumb.jp

They look like they place your feet really high off the ground. What happened?? Seems like several years ago Adidas was marketing shoes that put your feet closer to the ground. I bought into that when I went to True Linkswear. I'm not sure I could go back to a tall sole.

I agree Kenny. I have a pair of Footjoy M Projects that I've been wearing for two seasons. If I can't replace them with an eBay find I'll be purchasing the True shoe also. Zero drop is great.

It looked like the Cooler shoe might be zero drop? Or did it seem high too?

• Like 2

He was playing last years M2. Said he'll most likely move to the new woods - he's tried the irons but no decision yet.

attachicon.gifIMG_1659.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1661.JPG

Envious of the experience with Els and the opportunity to get a close up WITB!

I agree Kenny. I have a pair of Footjoy M Projects that I've been wearing for two seasons. If I can't replace them with an eBay find I'll be purchasing the True shoe also. Zero drop is great.

It looked like the Cooler shoe might be zero drop? Or did it seem high too?

The Cool doesn't look like zero drop to me.  The heel seems very high.  The sole also seems thick; quite a change from my old Adidas Tour 360 4.0 shoes which had the ThinCleat technology to get your foot closer to the ground for increased stability.  BTW, I still wear those shoes and love the.  They are just heavier than the Trues.

• Like 1

The Cool doesn't look like zero drop to me. The heel seems very high. The sole also seems thick; quite a change from my old Adidas Tour 360 4.0 shoes which had the ThinCleat technology to get your foot closer to the ground for increased stability. BTW, I still wear those shoes and love the. They are just heavier than the Trues.

Really, the True's are that much lighter? I need to go ahead and pull the trigger then. I love the M Projects because they feel so light. Can't imagine how comfortable the Trues are.

We had to measure, but he was closest to the pin by a good 75 feet.

So, did you use a rangefinder to measure?  :P

Really, the True's are that much lighter? I need to go ahead and pull the trigger then. I love the M Projects because they feel so light. Can't imagine how comfortable the Trues are.

True's are on sale on their website right now too...

• Like 1