Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Plaids Masters Experience 2017

PlaidJacket

I'm back and rested after a great week playing at Reynolds Plantation and attending a Masters practice round Tuesday in Augusta. And yes... on Tuesday the weather was picture perfect. We lucked out.

I know many of you have probably been so I'll try not to bore you. This was my 2nd trip. Last was in 2008 when Trevor Immelman won. The three guys that I went with was their first time. I remember when we finally got on the course at the #1 fairway one of my buddies was asking if the grass was real or Fake turf. LOL I remarked that "it's real" alright. But then I paused for a second, bent over and plucked a few short blades of grass. It's real. We all had a good laugh. 

Our day was spent walking and walking and walking. Everywhere. We covered the entire course but didn't walk it in rotation. Walking the course as we did became a little confusing at times but we'd eventually figure it out or find a marker or sign to get our bearings. The crowds were large but very manageable I thought. Any time when we needed a break we'd hop in the stands somewhere and watch approach shots and putting for a while.

Unfortunately we didn't see but a few of the top ten players. We missed DJ, Stenson, Rose, Mcelroy, Fowler, Scott, etc. They all played early in the morning as we didn't actually hit the course till around 11. However, I did see guys like Mickelson, Rahm, Spieth, Haas, Cabrera, Willet, Bubba, etc. Sent some time at the practice area too and saw Spieth pounding driver shots, along with O'Meara, Larry Mize, Zach Johnson, and some euro guys.

Yes, I ate some pimento cheese sandwiches and drank a few cold ones for you guys. You're welcome.

Below are a few photos and hopefully two videos. My camera skills are weak but I think you'll enjoy them anyway. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them for you .

Fairways.jpg

ShotLink.jpg

This is a ShotLink device. I saw them off and on at various places around the course. You'd think they'd be closer to the action. Perhaps some are.

Mickelson 2017.jpg

The picture above is Phil playing with Jon Rahm. It was obvious they were gambling because instead of putting around on the greens practicing Phil had Rahm mark his putt. As did Phil. That's Phil in black bent over marking his ball.

Rahm 2017.jpg

Haas.jpg

Here's Bill Haas. I didn't realize he's so tall. I recall his drives here were really good with a high draw shape. Long!

Roadsigns Masters.jpg

Don't know the guy in the picture below. Perhaps he's looking for Plaids name?

The last photo is me gnawing on a Pimento cheese.

RecordBoard 2017.jpg

Plaid PimentoCheese 2017.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

awesome!   Bucket list item for sure

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Awesome Plaid!! Thanks for sharing. One day....one day...

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for sharing Plaid. It's on my bucket list to be able to attend a Masters! For now I can live vicariously through you.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I wasn't able to upload the two videos. Guess they are too large or something. One was Willett and his practice partner skipping balls across the pond on #16. All the groups coming through that day were doing the same. Getting them close too at times. The crowds were delighted. Fun for all.

The other video was closeup action...again of Danny Willett driving the ball on some hole. I forget. There was a little banter back and forth with the gallery. Perhaps I should try again. Maybe a little later.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Good stuff Plaid and glad you all had a great time !

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Thanks PJ, I'm gonna live vicariously thru you.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

This is great! I'm hoping to make it to the PGA championship next year when it comes to town here in STL(2018). Not the Masters, that will have to wait for now. Until then feel free to post more pictures and make us jealous!

Nice

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It is a great exeperience to say the least.  I went two years ago for the final round when Speith won and was invited back this year for three days.  I was there Friday, Saturday and Sunday and had the pleasure of spending half my day there at Berckmans.  That place is like Disneyland for golfers and if anyone gets the chance to go don't say no.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Dream come true! Glad you enjoyed it!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm glad you got to go, and looks like it was a great experience. I guess i will just dream about it.

All you have to do is enter the masters ticket lottery and maybe you won't have to dream. I hear about people that are picked all the time. I have been lucky to get my name drawn 1 time. Got to go to the Monday practice round in 2010

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Oh yes, definitely on my wish list

of things to do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

The devices you saw that look like shot link are used by Augusta's Architect Tom Fazio to plot the shots, where they land, and roll out.  I'm a retired GC Superintendent and I know a number of fellow Superintendents (most of whom work at Fazio courses) that plot, monitor and record with these devices.  A good friend and fellow Superintendent worked the tee shot locations on #11 for a number of years and I did get to sit in with him for a while.

I seems that many of the changes at Augusta are a result of these close record keeping efforts.

Jim

ps.  my course was designed by Tom Fazio's uncle George.  Tom did most of the green details and Jim, his cousin, did most of the routing.  George oversaw their work and made a couple of site visits.  This was back in the mid '70's when Tom, Jim, and myself were in our mid to late '20's.

Jim the retired Golf Course Superintendent

Awesome Plaid! Thank you for taking us along with you to experience what had to been an awesome day. One of these days, hopefully I'll have chance of eating that pimento sandwich and visit Berckmans.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Archived