Testers Wanted: Precision Pro Titan Elite Rangefinder ×

Does anyone walk anymore?

I walk every round! This is my 3rd consecutive season after many years of riding (was a walker when I was younger). In my mid 50s and will keep walking until I can’t. In better shape now than 10 years ago and handicap down. I use a push cart and nothing better than walking the course.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue 9.0

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue 15

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue 19

:benhogan-small: 22

Irons: :benhogan-small: 5 - PW

Wedges: :benhogan-small: 50

:callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 54 & 58

Putter: :odyssey-small: O Works 2 Ball Fang

One day a week I play in a senior league which requires all participants to drive, they say its to keep the "oldsters moving." I also play once or twice a week where I walk with my push cart. I find the flow of the game and my focus are better when I walk, so too are my scores.

christopher pacifico

I would love to start walking, but the terrain here's quite cumbersome. I may be able to do 9 but not 18, and definitely not from may-september here, the humidity is miserable!  Now, winter time is a different story.  18 with a push cart is very doable!!!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Love the post. I absolutely love to walk. I only take a cart if I have to. I have a very lightweight "Sunday" bag, pack in half a set, and play a lovely evening 9. It's the best. My golf buddies are all pull/push cart folks, but even at a slightly, uh, experienced age, I still love to carry. My regular bag is a Sun Mountain 2.5+ to help keep the weight down.

I walk 95% of the season, some courses I play only allow electric or gas carts on weekends to speed up play.

I walk 95% of the season, some courses I play only allow electric or gas carts on weekends to speed up play.

DR

I  ALWAYS WALK.  GOLF carts are actually slower and many courses are cart path only.  Walking is not only healthier but gives you time to access your next shot.  I can tell the distances easier while walking too.

Warren F O’Donnell

Living in the upstate of South Carolina, walking can be difficult as it can feel as if I am walking up hill the entire round. That being said, I do walk once in a while, especially if I am only playing (9). When I was in Florida I walked much more during the cooler months. 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

The only time I don't walk is when i'm short on time and want to get 9 holes in or the club has a tournament and you have to use a cart. I prefer to walk it helps slow me down when making decision. I know longer rush to get to the next hole or try to hit the next shot. Even in the dead of summer I plan my round around the heat and I will play 36 holes a day. 18 in the morning and 18 in the evening. 

Driver::mizuno-small:JPX Ez

3W::mizuno-small: JPX 850 15*

Hybrid: :mizuno-small: JPX EZ 18*

Irons::mizuno-small: MP-54- 4I through PW

Wedges::cleveland-small: RTX 52*56*60*

Putter: :mizuno-small:Pro 9901 or :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport Old

Ball: :titelist-small:Tour Soft

Yes, love walking the course.  I use a push cart - Sun Mountain bag & speedster with fitted bottom - when playing 18 holes.  Usually carry, about 80% of the time, when playing 9 holes.  It is easier  for me to stay focused on the round and the next shot.  I enjoy conversing with playing partners, but it seems like my attention is “off & on” when playing in a cart.

I play in a number of best ball charitable events where carts are required for the 5+ hour marathon.  During these events I inform my playing partner that I will be walking often during the round and not to take offense it’s nothing they’ve done.  

If you push a cart, but are frustrated with your bag twisting on the cart, try the Sun Mountain 3 wheel speedster with the Sun Mountain molded bottom bag. It works very well and keeps my bag steady throughout the round.  

Walking is good for your health - makes that extra beer go down better knowing you’re just “rehydrating” after the round.

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

I would really like to get back into walking the course on the regular. As the OP said, I feel that I play better when walking. Maybe it is just keeping the body loose and moving. I also think that you can really think through your upcoming shot as you are walking up to it - better course management. The problem I have with walking is that none of my playing partners like to walk.

DR:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9* w/ GD Tour AD W-60 S

3W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 13.5* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

5W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 18* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

4i-PW:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Razr X Forged w/ Project X 6.0

52°/10°S, 56°/8°C & 60°/8°C:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Jaws MD5 Tour Grey w/ TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115 S200

P:  image.png.6b0c0910f5c4dad993eeb3a67e0487b0.png  Studio Select Newport 2.6

Ball:  image.png.0f2de9e80ec97647e7e71165ce5bc99d.png  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1X

Bag:  sunmountain.png.fbfcaedc370ac8cb47e34532ce3b2643.png C-130S Stand Bag

Other: image.png.40b3f95c9dbdadb6967fc9727d0db6d4.png Arccos Smart Sensors

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's game. It's called an eraser.  -Arnold Palmer

Now a days I mainly ride but still walk, in the past though when I was scratch many years ago, I always walked even if the others in my group rode. I was able to to focus better, see the undulating terrain and execute better. I still play well but think walking is where your best  rounds will come about.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

I get too exhausted walking the course at my age,
but I do have one curious recollection.

When I walked, I really preferred the old fashioned pull trolley to the modern ones that you push like a supermarket shopping cart.  I guess that I was just used to them.

There was a beautifully little par 3 course nearby that I could still walk and that was lots of fun to play.  Sadly, it closed down.

I walk as often as possible. My only gripe is my current cart - it doesn't hold a car bag well at all and I tend to walk the round popping a wheelie to avoid the front wheels rubbing my bag.

I might have to get back to carrying because this takes a mental load for sure to constantly have a small annoyance of a cart bag that doesn't fit my needs.

Ping G425 Max

TM Rocketballz 3 Wood (old bumblebee)

Ping G425 2h

iBlades 4 - Pw

TM Hi Toe wedges 52/56/60

Odyssey 11 Putter

1 minute ago, Jaryco91 said:

I walk as often as possible. My only gripe is my current cart - it doesn't hold a car bag well at all and I tend to walk the round popping a wheelie to avoid the front wheels rubbing my bag.

I might have to get back to carrying because this takes a mental load for sure to constantly have a small annoyance of a cart bag that doesn't fit my needs.

Don't worry too much, my Canadian friend.

Before you know it, you'll be riding like me.

2 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

Don't worry too much, my Canadian friend.

Before you know it, you'll be riding like me.

Funny enough, I live on a links style course along a river here in Canada, and the course changes elevation up and down by as much as 50' on some holes, so the pro-shop always tells me "it's a riding course" but I am too stubborn to sit in a cart just yet.

Ping G425 Max

TM Rocketballz 3 Wood (old bumblebee)

Ping G425 2h

iBlades 4 - Pw

TM Hi Toe wedges 52/56/60

Odyssey 11 Putter

1 minute ago, Jaryco91 said:

Funny enough, I live on a links style course along a river here in Canada, and the course changes elevation up and down by as much as 50' on some holes, so the pro-shop always tells me "it's a riding course" but I am too stubborn to sit in a cart just yet.

Good for you!

Hang in there as long as you can.

Your health will benefit.

It depends on the course and the heat but I prefer to walk. Also, I don't use a push cart when I walk, I carry my clubs with me. We go through this together!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I always walk, even in the rain here in the PNW. I use a Clicgear for many years and just late last year bought a V2 for my Clicgear. Wow what a joy 

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I walk with a push cart, but I’m thinking of finding a lightweight bag and ditching the push cart. I’m 55 and need the exercise plus I feel like it like it helps me focus on my game. 

:callaway-small:Epic Max LS 9* ACCRA TZ6

:callaway-small:Epic Speed 3w ACCRA FX

:cobra-small:3H ACCRA FX

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 4-pw Aerotech 

:vokey-small:50,55,60 

:cameron-small: Phantom X 11.5 putter

:titelist-small: prov1

I am currently a cart only person. I like to relax in between shots and have my a drink. I have been considering walking though as it would save me money and I pretty much am walking anyways during the cart path only days. I feel if I had one of those caddies that followed me then it would be an easy conversion for me.

Golfing is to focus yet not focus on your shot at the same time. 

When I play alone, I walk.  I get a better feel for the course and can distances better without using a range finder.  But, when I'm playing with friends, I use a cart cause shortens the pace of play and we need something to hold our drinks.  

Driver/Cobra

Woods/Cobra

Irons/Takomo 101

Wedge/Lucky Golf

Putter/Taylormade Spider Red

On 5/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, StrokerAce said:

I really will never understand why a course architect would design a course that a person in reasonable good health is physically incapable of walking.... that just makes no sense to me.

The owner tells the architect "I want fancy dramatic holes".   

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

7 minutes ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

The owner tells the architect "I want fancy dramatic holes".   

I think the really well-designed holes looks more dramatic and daunting than they really are.
In reality, they're just picturesque.

That's what I like, anyway.  Our club has holes like that.
Once you've played them a few times,
and adopted a strategy for them,
you realize that they're more pretty than scary.

I play 3 times a week, 50 times a year (at least) and walk 98% of the time. We are away in an hour for our annual 'Green Jacket ' tournament - 4 days of golf . The average age of the group is 70, 8 will walk all, a couple of others will cart all and the other 2 will do a bit of both.

Apart from the odd injury I have sustained I always walk, except on our Aussie trip (we are Kiwi's) where we compete for 8 days straight on the Gold Coast courses. All 12 of us cart for this campaign. Walking is better for my game and makes the beer after earned. I will continue to do so for as long as able.

Now with successful foot surgery I can contemplate walking Exec courses and 9 hole twilights.  I used to carry a 'rag bag' with 5 clubs sometimes. Maybe I can do that again.  Walking is  more peaceful.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃