Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Practice Round Shorts...!

Shankster

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW golf could be moving forwards a little. I think it`s great to show a little-relaxed attitude 

:callaway-small: rouge subzero Fujikura Evo 2 shaft

:titelist-small:  F2  3 wood Mitsubishi rayon 

:titelist-small:  818.21 hybrid Even flow black

Ben Hogan irons apex 4 shafts 

:mizuno-small: S18 wedges 50/54/58

:titelist-small:  Cameron and Crown M1

I don't see a problem with it. In fact, I have said for years they should do it during tournament play. Hell tennis players don't wear long pants. I guess it's my laid back I hate to wear a tie attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Can't wait to see what type of shorts JD comes up with for his practice rounds????

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I'll keep my mouth shut from now on. They've played that tournament for how many years and just as humid? But I'll shut up since I appear to be the outcast here.

I'm with you. Pants for tourney play. Especially with the pants technology these days. Shorts are OK for practice rounds but their skinny little legs look funny.

Sent by carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'll keep my mouth shut from now on. They've played that tournament for how many years and just as humid? But I'll shut up since I appear to be the outcast here.

I would not call you an outcast, rather you just hold the minority opinion.   While such may not be acceptable on other sites, it seems perfectly fine here.   Personally, I realize that I am old and as such have a tendency to want to hold on to traditions.   Perhaps, professional golfers wearing pants is such a tradition.   But it is a younger world and times change.

I would not call you an outcast, rather you just hold the minority opinion.   While such may not be acceptable on other sites, it seems perfectly fine here.   Personally, I realize that I am old and as such have a tendency to want to hold on to traditions.   Perhaps, professional golfers wearing pants is such a tradition.   But it is a younger world and times change.

I think with Shankster being in the military a certain dress code is built into their souls. And with you being from the old school, some changes are hard to accept.  Now myself I could see it working if they ALL wore shorts.  It would have to be uniform with not half wearing shorts, half wearing pants, or half wearing overalls. 

Shankster you are far from an outcast partner.   You're a good dude with your opinions and like all of us, we have em.  We don't agree all the time because if we did,  this world would be a dull place.  Keep posting what YOU think and don't ever try to please the masses. It doesn't work that way. 

Cleveland

I say since golfers want to be treated as athletes, golf is fine having different 'training' gear from 'tournament' gear, just as they do in all other sports. Additionally, I think pro golfers wearing shorts is much more relatable to the 'new' golfer rather than watching the barrage of khaki pants usually on display. However, during tournament play, pro golfers should be set to full and professional attire as they would do in any other sport.

Easy tiger; no reason to get so bent out of shape. No matter your opinion, either be prepared to defend it or don't bother sharing it. At least that's the logic I apply prior to hitting the reply button.

Back on the thread subject, I have personally played in touring professional events in South Texas when the tournament committee made the decision to allow shorts during competition rounds for player safety. When the ambient temp is triple digits and relative humidity isn't far behind, heat stroke becomes a very real concern. Your body perspires as an evaporative cooling process but when the air is really wet, you just keep getting hotter while your body pumps out more and more fluid to no effect (except accelerated dehydration). Golf is a gentleman's game and in my opinion, the decision to let professionals wear shorts for safety is in no way a departure from the game's genteel roots.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

And the Ladies should go back to  babezaharis.jpg   :D

Cleveland

Easy tiger; no reason to get so bent out of shape. No matter your opinion, either be prepared to defend it or don't bother sharing it. At least that's the logic I apply prior to hitting the reply button.

Back on the thread subject, I have personally played in touring professional events in South Texas when the tournament committee made the decision to allow shorts during competition rounds for player safety. When the ambient temp is triple digits and relatively humidity isn't far behind, heat stroke becomes a very real concern. Your body perspires as an evaporative cooling process but when the air is really wet, you just keep getting hotter while your body pumps out more and more fluid to no effect (except accelerated dehydration). Golf is a gentleman's game and in my opinion, the decision to let professionals wear shorts for safety is in no way a departure from the game's genteel roots.

No tiger here... not to worry, I expected a large internet a$$ whooping for starting this thread. No reason to get your eyes rolled back in your head and stuck though.

Not sure about everyone else. But I'm pretty sure long shirts and pants actually keep me cooler, if made out of the right material.

- Alan

And the Ladies should go back to  attachicon.gifbabezaharis.jpg   :D

If the LPGA made that fashion etiquette policy, tournament purses and sponsor contracts would subsequently match those available when the above photo was originally taken.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I'm not sure what my opinion is on this, I mean they used to play in dress shirts and ties too. I prefer to wear shorts when I play....heck living in Houston I probably wear them 10 1/2 months out of the year.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

This isn't new. This rule came into affect a while ago, and it's just for practice rounds, who cares. I for one feel that should be able to wear shorts all the time. Especially when the temps are high.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If the LPGA made that fashion etiquette policy, tournament purses and sponsor contracts would subsequently match those available when the above photo was originally taken.

Yup.  When you see an LPGA golfer in pants, it looks out of place.  The long dress worn back in the day would be totally outlandish.  Payne Stewart brought the knickers back to the tour however not many could have pulled it off.  

Cleveland

Check out the social media. It's everywhere.

This is the closest thing to social media I'm a part of!! But, seeing what you were referring to, I agree with you. I am required to wear long pants and a button up shirt for work. I work outside everyday in water distribution. Why? Because it helps you and the company you work for look PROFESSIONAL. Last time I checked these were professional athletes. If anyone thinks they can't handle the elements for a few hours must not know most of them have a extreme workout routine. I'm behind ya shanks!!!!!

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

This is the closest thing to social media I'm a part of!! But, seeing what you were referring to, I agree with you. I am required to wear long pants and a button up shirt for work. I work outside everyday in water distribution. Why? Because it helps you and the company you work for look PROFESSIONAL. Last time I checked these were professional athletes. If anyone thinks they can't handle the elements for a few hours must not know most of them have a extreme workout routine. I'm behind ya shanks!!!!!

Blake

Thanks! I mean, to each their own. And i see there is only a select group wearing the shorts... oh well, the world will still turn.

As long as they still make them wear a polo... ah, sh!t, that's gone too.

Sent from the Millennium Falcon...

- Alan

I'm with you on this, yes it's not really hurting anyone. That being said, the one thing I've always admired was how classy the PGA guys looked always wearing pants! There's just something about it.

I don't wear pants as much as I wish I could because I don't handle the heat well, (and I'm not getting paid) but if I could, I'd do it every time!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Shankster, thanks for starting a rather thought provoking thread.  So, in no particular order, here are a few thoughts:

I am, by and large, a person who likes a certain sense of decorum - our club requires men to remove their hats when indoors, keep their shirttails tucked in, and forget the denim (well, we have a less formal section where you can wear "neatly appointed denim" provided there are no rips, tears, etc...  I dont want to go to my doctor and have him examine me if he is wearing shorts and a wifebeater tee shirt- Scrubs are ok, but button down shirt is also nice- no tie, but some form of professionalism is important- at least to me.  It is not like we are asking them to play in wool tweed jackets and ties.

Several folks have brought up the fact that many of today's clothes (both shirts and slacks) are made of high tech moisture wicking material, and frankly, they are probably safer in long slacks and long sleeves, even in hot temperatures - as protection from the sun- and they are out there a LOT.  Many of my retired Navy friends have a lot of issues with skin cancers from extended exposure on decks of ships... The PGA professionals are similarly exposed - just look at the tan lines that many of them have when they remove their hats and sun glasses.

Certain professionals  - Foodservice workers, public safety, firefighters etc. should always wear long pants and long sleeve shirts- it is a safety thing.  While the PGA is not in that category, the sun exposure thing is an important consideration.

All that said, yes, the world is not going to stop spinning because Speith or Fowler wear shorts during practice rounds- but you are right, there is a slow decline in our attitude towards looking professional - these guys dont just run out to Kmart and get slacks, they are wearing the latest creation from some sport/high-tech/ fashion company that wants to sell you stuff too- 

Frankly, I actually like a lot of the "Loudmouth" brand, but the thought of every PGA player wearing them is a bit disconcerting!!! - almost like we are jumping back into the 1970's...

I used to wear long pants all the time- now I wear shorts a few months out of the year (June- Aug) when the temps are above 85 and humidity is crazy.  I have invested in some nice, light high tech pants and they are as comfortable as wearing shorts-  And having spent enough time in uniform and not being able to roll up our sleeves- well, I think they can well afford the high tech material and continue to wear slacks- I mean, we probably dont need to get as draconian as the LPGA did recently, but, all things considered, I dont want to see armpits or a guy's @$$ or something hanging out of a pair of short-shorts... just sayin...

ferrell.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Archived