Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

grip tension as a spin off of swing thoughts

I have been reading the posts about swing thoughts and club face angle at address very closely.  To me these two interrelate but they all come down to hand tension.  I make no effort of any sort to manipulate my hands through the swing.

Instead when I address the ball I align the club face to how I want the club face to impact the ball.  I rest the grip in the palm of my right hand and align the face and roll my fingers into position.  I use a fairly strong grip left a bit past top center of my chosen alignment.  Then I apply my left hand in an interlocking grip.

Next relax the hands, and I do mean relax to the point that I feel like they are barely holding the club.  If you think the club may slip it is about right.  I want almost no hand tension.  I have an inside out swing and really I try to have no conscious thoughts once my downswing starts.

The reason is that when I initiate my down swing I want the club to cause my hands to snap like a whip at the ball with the club face arriving at the ball in the same alignment as when I addressed the ball.  I never try to roll my wrists or anything else through impact.  I make no conscious effort to manipulate my hands or writs in any way once my down swing starts.  

The act of starting the downswing and the weight of the club head causes my hands to snap through the ball.  I still hit shots thin and fat when I am a bit off but my release through the ball is always the same.  Variation is caused by my mistakes in moving my head or other aspects of timing.  But my release should always be completely free on a a full swing and as relaxed as possible.  I don't have a hugely fast swing but my distance is reasonably good because my release creates the club head speed.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Grip tension is something I struggle with however since I changed over to jumbo grips, I feel better about relaxing my hands.  When I try a new club with the standard grip I catch myself squeezing too hard from trying not let it twist in my hands. This leads to forearm tension and squirrly shots. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Grip tension is something I struggle with however since I changed over to jumbo grips, I feel better about relaxing my hands.  When I try a new club with the standard grip I catch myself squeezing too hard from trying not let it twist in my hands. This leads to forearm tension and squirrly shots. 

Do you have  large hands?  If that is the case normal grips are probably a huge mistake for you.  My hands are on the smaller size for a man.  I am kind of average height and build but my hands are relatively small so I would never deviate personally from a normal grip size.

When you practice try to relax your hands to the point you think the club is going to fly out.  It really won't happen.  Don't think about manipulating your hands in any form, just see what happens naturally.  For me that is the foundation of my swing.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Do you have  large hands?  If that is the case normal grips are probably a huge mistake for you.  My hands are on the smaller size for a man.  I am kind of average height and build but my hands are relatively small so I would never deviate personally from a normal grip size.

When you practice try to relax your hands to the point you think the club is going to fly out.  It really won't happen.  Don't think about manipulating your hands in any form, just see what happens naturally.  For me that is the foundation of my swing.

Yea I can palm a basketball meaning reach down on the floor and pick it up with one hand.  Big hands and big feet (13W) too.   

I can see how you pick up more clubhead speed with relaxed hands.  If they are too tight or rigid you would be hitting at the ball instead of swinging through it.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I run into this problem. Swing thoughts lead to too much grip tension (from standing over the ball too long) which leads to clubface issues. Heck, I've had to step away from a shot before because I could feel the stress in my forearms. I'm going to work on a little different preshot routine and hopefully I can resolve this.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Archived