HighFade

I need a new ball

The AVX thread reminded me of the golf ball situation.

Even before Spalding bailed from the golf business, they had stopped making the Original Top Flite ball (not the XL)  which led the revolution that eventually obsoleted wound golf balls. 

And ever since that model went out of production, I haven't been particularly loyal to any golf ball brand or model.

The old Top Flite was the most consistent ball that I ever hit.  It was the only ball that performed noticeably better for me.  All of the other non-wound balls were, equally to one another,  just OK,

and the wound ones--the alleged "pro" models or surlyn covered ones alike--clearly added strokes to my scorecard.

I'm not the first person I've ever known to miss a discontinued golf ball.

When I was younger, lots of the guys who were the age that I am now--

in other words, presently dead guys--

talked about a "K" model Titleist from the past being more workable than the top of the line wound Titleists that were available then. 

I had probably played this revered ball at some time in my youth, never to purchase another dozen after they all smiled at me through their paper thin covers.

The pro preferred balls had natural balata rubber covers in those pre-urethane days, while the "lesser "balls, wound and solid alike, had the much maligned Surlyn synthetic covers.  But Spalding's  particular polymer worked on the Top Flite

I don't what it was about the original Top Flite, often disparagingly called the Rock Flite, that was so suited to my game.  It came off the long clubs like a bullet, and spun hard off the short ones, but only if they had broad, flat soles. It was as if Spalding was customizing golf balls for their own iron models.

Well, that's my ode to the old, original Top Flite.  As I've mentioned before, I played Pro V1s in more recent times because I got them as gifts.  Otherwise, I played what was on sale.  But if whatever company that makes Top Flite now re-introduced the original, well, I guess it wouldn't matter.  I can't play anyway.

I personally have been really impressed with Snell, both red and black, relative to my previous gamers e6, Nxt tour s, & Project a (performance) and ProV (price). I'll be sticking to the MTB Red for now, unless I win the test contest for the i500s and need a lower ball flight  :D . The MTB black seems to fit a "mid-spin" profile though, at least for my game. Also Dean Snell signed my receipt on my first order from them, which I thought was a nice touch.

I can't speak to the Cut & Vice brands, but would rather give those smaller independent outfits a shot before buying refurbished (I've had inconsistent experiences here at best) or Kirkland.

Just played my first Snell today. Was very impressed compared to my typical TP5 or Pro v1. I'm looking forward to playing them again soon and I will probably grab a box to give them a better shot.

Travis Clarke

I have a friend who is a scratch golfer.  He told me to try the Wilson zip ball for 2 dozen $20 at Wally World.  I love a ProV1 but just can't afford them.  The Zip ball is fantastic for the money.  And I've had them stop on the green nicely.  Worth a try for that money.

I have a friend who is a scratch golfer.  He told me to try the Wilson zip ball for 2 dozen $20 at Wally World.  I love a ProV1 but just can't afford them.  The Zip ball is fantastic for the money.  And I've had them stop on the green nicely.  Worth a try for that money.

I was playing them until I started with the Duo Optix. I just don't see the white as well as the orange Duo. I liked the Zip. I thought it was a really great ball for the money. It's not a tour ball, but I'm not a tour player so it all worked out about as well as it could.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

On 8/29/2018 at 4:30 AM, Larryd3 said:

Snell MTB black. Great ball and very reasonably priced.

Got my 1st box of Snell MTB black balls today... Pretty excited to play a round this weekend to see how I like'em!!!

• Like 2

I used to play NXT but had to change as a result of Titleist stopping production. I fell in love with the Taylor made Project (a) but price is about the same.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, Kor.A.Door said:

So as I reread this, ( I was posting in a hurry and didn't reread), I realize that this sounded good as I was typing, but probably did not come out as intended. Sorry about that.

Please don't read my post

😁😁

4 hours ago, mrjohnsmitt said:

Got my 1st box of Snell MTB black balls today... Pretty excited to play a round this weekend to see how I like'em!!!

... Nice. This is the good ole USA and I have no problem with someone selling a better mouse trap even if they didn't build it. So I have no problem buying a dozen Vice, CUT and Kirkland balls that clearly did zero R&D to test them out and see how they play. But when possible, I prefer to spend my money with someone like Dean Snell that has put in the work and designed balls for Titleist, TaylorMade and now Snell. The MTB Black is as good or better than any premium balls I have played other than TP5X/Kirkland Tour Performance that are just a hair longer for me with longer clubs.    

• Like 3