revkev

Distance Issue

I can agree with that. But at the end of the day, the game remains largely unchanged.

Sorry, if my posts came off as offensive, it has been a challenging day.

FWIW--- You or anyone else in this thread have not offended me in any way shape form or fashion. I like different opinions it is brain food

• Like 4

Which ones do you think factor in to the decline? Just curious, I think the USGA is as worthless as a lot of other organizations, golf related or not.

The groove rule declared war against recreational players. True a careful read meant there was a reasonable period of time to change out irons for us but what most heard was - go drop a grand because we think there's a chance that they guys on tour have an advantage hitting big out of the rough now. It came at a time when the economy was tanking - that was a time when a number of people moved on to other recreational options.

Next was the anchor ban and then all the crazy (from a casual fans perspective) penalties in the US Open and Women's US Open.

While I know it's not their intent there are times when it seems as if the USGA is trying to preserve the game by exclusion rather than inclusion. Rick's comments are insightful - we've reached a point where the USGA has very little say over what happens in golf. So now when you are playing you need to ask what the rules are - seriously - I play by two sets of rules in my two leagues and I suppose a 3rd in casual rounds with my friends. I've stopped entering scores towards a USGA handicap because that would be a sham. I have handicaps in each of my leagues should there be a question.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

That's not what's going to get them to take up the game.

It might be interesting to muse on what might.

• Like 2

And I will PROUDLY tell you or anyone else that I am one of the 95% of the golfers that you mentioned that does not give "two Sh!ts" about the USGA or the R&A or the PGA for that matter

Your correct.

I began to think the same way about 6 years ago.

• Like 1

My physical ailments robbed me of a possible game with Rickp.

We're about the same age and would have had similar handicaps.

We both wear Red Sox caps.

And I don't hate Florida, particularly between Christmas and Easter.

Wasn't to be, i guess, but I'm sure that it would have been a good time.

I'm with you in the physical ailment. I've had more physical problems in the last 2-3 years than in the previous 70.

I've got 2 procedures coming up, knee & shoulder. That's just next couple months.

Nifty take care of yourself

• Like 2

Anybody else think the Ryder Cup is set up perfect and it negates the distance issue all together??

• Like 4

Anybody else think the Ryder Cup is set up perfect and it negates the distance issue all together??

All PGA golf should be set up like that.

• Like 3

It is perfect. If all events were setup like this, we wouldn't have this thread.
  • Like 2

So now when you are playing you need to ask what the rules are - seriously - I play by two sets of rules in my two leagues and I suppose a 3rd in casual rounds with my friends. I've stopped entering scores towards a USGA handicap because that would be a sham. I have handicaps in each of my leagues should there be a question.

I wasn't going to join in this thread as I don't really have anything new and different to contribute .. tho I have found the posts in here interesting .. but as I read through I increasingly wondered:

"Well .. just what exactly is a handicap index going to mean going forward????"

Rev, sir I applaud you as a man of integrity. But I feel you're already .. and soon to be even more .. an increasingly rare anachronism (not calling old - calling you HONEST) .. ie. if players already use whatever equipment and play by whatever rules then what to make of their claimed handicap?

• Like 2

I agree the course set up at the Ryder Cup was a great set up for a position golf player,

was not just a long ball players venue, like most PGA events.

1 hour ago, Puttingmatt said:

I agree the course set up at the Ryder Cup was a great set up for a position golf player,

was not just a long ball players venue, like most PGA events.

For better or for worse, there area  lot of people who really WANT to see players hitting it long.  The course at the Ryder Cup rewarded fairways more than length off the tee, and I think it was just fine.   Playing conditions like that for routine tournaments, taking the driver out of most player's hands, might decrease viewership.  I don't know for sure, just guessing.  And the PGA Tour is nothing more than an entertainment business, they're all about sponsorship and advertising money, they're not going to prioritize precision over distance if that means losing viewers.  Add to that, I have the impression that a majority of players simply don't enjoy really difficult conditions.  

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, cksurfdude said:

I wasn't going to join in this thread as I don't really have anything new and different to contribute .. tho I have found the posts in here interesting .. but as I read through I increasingly wondered:

"Well .. just what exactly is a handicap index going to mean going forward????"

Rev, sir I applaud you as a man of integrity. But I feel you're already .. and soon to be even more .. an increasingly rare anachronism (not calling old - calling you HONEST) .. ie. if players already use whatever equipment and play by whatever rules then what to make of their claimed handicap?

It's why I haven't updated my handicap here either - I use my league handicaps in the leagues that I play in so that's governed by the league handicap committees.  Each league uses different rules.  One of them does follow the USGA rule book.  Interestingly my handicaps are nearly identical in both leagues so following the local rules that allow for preferred lies in the fairways, moving the ball from tree roots and concessions because it's match play make very little difference.

Neither league inspects plays bags to be sure the equipment is conforming - I've never once played in an event where equipment was checked - not at least that I know of.

I would suggest that we have already reached the "we will police ourselves" thresh hold.  I would also suggest it has very little to do with scoring at the recreational level (those who care enough to maintain a handicap in some fashion and use it to play against other golfers.)  Follow me on this:

Beyond a doubt there have been huge equipment advances in golf over the past 20 years.  While these advances allow everyone to hit the ball farther and to have equipment that fits their game far better than in the past as well as to play on courses that are in much better condition the average handicap has dropped less than a stroke.  IMO we aren't good enough or smart enough or committed enough or in some cases wealthy enough to take advantage of the advances.  They benefit the top players disproportionally. 

So even if we are anarchists our handicaps are going to be close enough to what they actually should be that it is never likely to matter.

@Dave - I was solely making the point that course set up can be used to curb distance not that I think it should be.  IMO there is not really a distance issue.  Augusta still works, the USGA, R and A and PGA of America have little trouble getting their courses to play as they would like.

Where's the issue?  That touring pros are hitting too many wedges?  Well if you call a club with 44 degrees of loft a wedge and one with 28 a 7 iron then I suppose that's the case but who cares - it's still very hard to hit a ball accurately to the hole from 200 yards regardless of the club used.  In Sunday's round I had my son pull 5 iron from 206 and he hit it on the fringe - I thought - wow - then I realized that the 5 iron he was using was 10 years old (my old Idea Pro).  It's the same as my old Eye 2 4 iron which I would have hit rom 206 when I was his age (31).  It's also the same loft as most 6 irons on tour today which makes sense because his driver swing speed clocks in somewhere around 120.

I still beat him by 10 strokes playing from the same set of tees.  I offset his advantage by putting better and avoiding penalties.

• Like 5