Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hitting 'em all too low - need help

For the last couple of years and especially this year (although it is pretty new) I have been hitting low everything.   Low driver even if teed up - sometimes to the point of worm burners, low irons so that I have to hit at least a 5 and have trouble holding greens, etc.  I have a decent swing, play to around a 10, almost never slice (flight is straight to draw/hook when bad).  I am hitting 'em pretty hard and can get my drives out there with a lot of guys because those low bullets will roll out pretty far.  But if I have to carry the corner of the water or over a trap or, God forbid, if I tried to go over some trees to cut a dogleg I'm in big trouble.  Currently hitting a TM RBZ 9.5 set up to 10.5.  I know I could go to a higher loft (and I think I am going to have to) but I am sure there is a better fix.  Any helpful ideas.  Thx.

Jim

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

Move the ball position up in your stance. Sometimes people let it creep backwards and then suddenly everything’s low and they can’t figure out why. Move it forward til you start hitting them fat or thin, then move it back a ball or two, should be the right spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

1 hour ago, bluesmandan76 said:

Move the ball position up in your stance. Sometimes people let it creep backwards and then suddenly everything’s low and they can’t figure out why. Move it forward til you start hitting them fat or thin, then move it back a ball or two, should be the right spot.

NO No NO!!!  Players make an athletic response and will only hit fat a couple of time before they adjust their pattern.  Find out where it belongs and solve the problem.  I'm not saying he shouldn't check his ball position, but random moving and trying are the habits of high handicap players.  There is a better way!

Low drives happen to me occasionally, and I play either 10.5 or 12º drivers so a higher lofted driver may not be the answer.  I catch the ball off the tee low on the club face because my tendency is a very positive AoA... drop my right shoulder too much.  I can fix it if I practice keeping shoulders more level at impact; I practice on a lower than normal tee.  It sounds opposite, but with a lower tee, my brain tells me I have to swing down a little and I hit the ball higher on the club face.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, bluesmandan76 said:

This is what happened to me but it may be something different for you. Where do you place the ball? Do you do a forward shaft lean? Do you have the ability to post a picture of your set up from an angle or two?

The loft of your driver isn't the issue and buying a new one likely won't cure your ailment.  Without looking at your swing, it's difficult to offer any solution. I'd have a pro take a look at your swing and see what's going on.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

The loft of your driver isn't the issue and buying a new one likely won't cure your ailment.  Without looking at your swing, it's difficult to offer any solution. I'd have a pro take a look at your swing and see what's going on.

Bingo.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, tommc23 said:

This is what happened to me but it may be something different for you. Where do you place the ball? Do you do a forward shaft lean? Do you have the ability to post a picture of your set up from an angle or two?

I try to be pretty good about ball positions - on the left heel for driver then center forward for 3wd and back to center for wedges.  I don't think I have more than a little forward shaft lean with irons but not any with driver - at least in setup but I must be delofting somehow to consistently hit it low.  Got fitted for irons last year (Apex) and it came out as standard standard - guess I could just buy off the rack.   It hasn't been nice enough and the ranges haven't been open to try to take some pics.  That is changing now so hopefully I can post something soon.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM  Stealth  Ventus shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 5 adjusted to 4.

TM SIM 7 wood

TM M1 3 hybrid adjusted to 4

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

Does your divot pattern look any different with your wedges and irons?  

Have you changed anything in your finish position?  I have good luck when I think high finish, but keep the rest of the swing similar by hitting down on the ball (irons/wegdes) and avoid a scooping action.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"