Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

Yes, I’m a believer in MPF, but more so with its C-dimension and Vertical Center of gravity.  The larger the C the better on toe hits and the lower the VCOG slightly higher ball flight.  Maltby said it would take at least a 100 point difference in MPF for most folks to tell a difference in forgiveness.  I’d add though I went from Ping GMax irons years ago to TS1s and my ball striking actually improved along with my handicap.  Looks and feel matter along with the shaft.  MPF for the Ping is over 900 and the TS1 just a little over 700.  I noticed a little extra loss of distance on toe side misses with the TS1s, but everything else I thought was as good or better.  MPF is a systematic approach to quantify the dimensional characteristics of a head in a forgiveness number.  It’s just the head.  A forgiving head with the wrong shaft for you might not add up to what you hoped.  I’m struggling between going TS1 IM or TS3.  The TS3 might help me more now that I’m older with its lower VCOG, but the TS1 IM looks better to me.  Golfworks will tell you iron loft has more affect on distance than a fast face.  However In their forums most claim the TS1 IM is slightly longer and feels a little softer.  You can't go wrong with either as they’re 700+.  I’m a 10 handicap.  I was a 16 when I went to TS1s if that helps.  And I do believe going from a shovel sized head to a smaller sized head helped as crazy as it sounds. 

this link may help.

https://www.golfworks.com/about-mpf/

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

28 minutes ago, KurtActual said:

Ok, you buy some -IMs and send me the Takomos! Win win for both of us!

It's only a win-win if you buy them from me. 🙂 But these are build special and I likely won't ever sell them.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

6 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

Sadly, the MPF and the articles about it are 20+ years old. I don't see any notes about any of it being updated in the past 2 decades. I was hoping they'd mention that or something. I also notice they don't do DTC clubs, outside of PXG. They also don't explain anything about the calculation that comes up with the MPF number, which I was also disappointed about.

MOI is an interesting number as higher MOI doesn't translate at all to higher MPF number, at least from what I see.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

52 minutes ago, NCDuffer said:

And I do believe going from a shovel sized head to a smaller sized head helped as crazy as it sounds. 

I 100% agree. Aim small, miss small. Looks inspire confidence, which can also impact your swing. I would play blades if they werent so punishing for a poor striker like me. 

Tiger is the GOAT, change my mind.

There’s a Maltby book on how MPF is calculated and the measurements if you can find it.  I thought I was going to get into club building and found several of his books.  This may help:   https://ralphmaltby.com/method-of-determining-mpf/  They can only test heads that are sent to them and some of the big names do.  If you go to Ralphmaltby.com you could pose a question about MPF and someone from Maltby/Golfworks will respond.  There’s “bad” MOI and there’s good MOI in Maltby’s world.  Example: You could have a high MOI club head with a very high VCOG and/or jacked loft, and though the MOI is great, you have a hard time getting a playable elevation, etc.  MPF isn’t the Holy Grail but I find it a good place to start and compare.  Being an engineer I had to check it out.  So years ago I went to a golf galaxy armed with a list of clubs based on various MPF ratings and rummaged through the used clubs. And hit those clubs.  Gmax, M4, Steelhead were the most forgiving to me off the mats.  I left a believer and with the GMax and later found I didn’t get along with the sole on grass as well as others.  MPF is a good starting point.  For me, I want 700 and above, a fairly low VCOG and as long a C-Dimension as my eyes can stand.  

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

There is this link - https://www.golfworks.com/method-of-determining-mpf/ which might be a starting point too. My head exploded part way down, so I stopped and just studied the images and wording around the images.

The smallest A-VCOG, largest A-RCOG, longest C-Dim, and a good MOI probably makes up a darn good club, which should also produce a high MPF (I think).

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

There is this link - https://www.golfworks.com/method-of-determining-mpf/ which might be a starting point too. My head exploded part way down, so I stopped and just studied the images and wording around the images.

The smallest A-VCOG, largest A-RCOG, longest C-Dim, and a good MOI probably makes up a darn good club, which should also produce a high MPF (I think).

Lol - yeah, the technical stuff starts to get VERY technical, at least for someone like me.  It's been really helpful that they measure OTHER clubs in their MPF findings, as I've played several of the clubs listed, and know how they performed for me, so it's useful information.  It's one of the reasons why I demo'd the TS3's last year, was to see if a forged club might give me the feel and performance I was looking for coming from a GI club, considering my Sim Max irons were pretty much the same MPF (834 TM vs. 849 TS3).  I'd never heard of a forged ANYTHING being similar to hit.  The only thing at the time that gave me pause in building out the whole set was a) cost (I'd built the demos with the Score TT shaft, which doesn't suit me great, so an upgraded shaft would bump the cost of the build significantly), b) I didn't LOVE the look of the TS3 (sleek, for sure, but the topline wasn't actually that much slimmer than the TM's, and I wasn't 100% sold on the progressive design of the backs) - especially compared to something like the TS1/TS4, and c) I ended up testing the Caley 01T irons, which are a hollow-bodied (definitely not filled with anything, as we've since come to find out) with a thinner topline - similar to the TS1's.  

As mentioned above, I was pretty surprised with how well a smaller profile (especially the narrower sole) fit my swing, and I've grown to really love looking down at the Caleys.  So now I'm pondering, should I decide to ditch the Caleys (if / when I come into 'new club money' 😉 ) if I'd be better off with the TS1s or TS4s OR the TE+'s.  

Stupid company making so many good clubs...sigh. 🙂

I really love the idea of a set of TE+ (save a little on the heads) with the shaft of my choice (either MPH Elevate or, future proofing even more, SteelFiber 95s)...

Those would look very, very sharp in a bag, and would satisfy my want for a narrow top-line, as well as my need for super playability.

It helps to put it all down into words so I can feel like I'm inching towards a decision, lol

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Lol - yeah, the technical stuff starts to get VERY technical, at least for someone like me.  It's been really helpful that they measure OTHER clubs in their MPF findings, as I've played several of the clubs listed, and know how they performed for me, so it's useful information.  It's one of the reasons why I demo'd the TS3's last year, was to see if a forged club might give me the feel and performance I was looking for coming from a GI club, considering my Sim Max irons were pretty much the same MPF (834 TM vs. 849 TS3).  I'd never heard of a forged ANYTHING being similar to hit.  The only thing at the time that gave me pause in building out the whole set was a) cost (I'd built the demos with the Score TT shaft, which doesn't suit me great, so an upgraded shaft would bump the cost of the build significantly), b) I didn't LOVE the look of the TS3 (sleek, for sure, but the topline wasn't actually that much slimmer than the TM's, and I wasn't 100% sold on the progressive design of the backs) - especially compared to something like the TS1/TS4, and c) I ended up testing the Caley 01T irons, which are a hollow-bodied (definitely not filled with anything, as we've since come to find out) with a thinner topline - similar to the TS1's.  

As mentioned above, I was pretty surprised with how well a smaller profile (especially the narrower sole) fit my swing, and I've grown to really love looking down at the Caleys.  So now I'm pondering, should I decide to ditch the Caleys (if / when I come into 'new club money' 😉 ) if I'd be better off with the TS1s or TS4s OR the TE+'s.  

Stupid company making so many good clubs...sigh. 🙂

I really love the idea of a set of TE+ (save a little on the heads) with the shaft of my choice (either MPH Elevate or, future proofing even more, SteelFiber 95s)...

Those would look very, very sharp in a bag, and would satisfy my want for a narrow top-line, as well as my need for super playability.

It helps to put it all down into words so I can feel like I'm inching towards a decision, lol

I was reading your post and inching towards building a cart! lol

I am hitting some older MMBs that have an MPF around 700 and they seem to fit my swing a lot better than the SGI irons from Wilson I had before. Better feedback too

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges:  Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png56 Deg, 60 Deg

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Balls: Titleist ProV1

New member and first time poster. I am based in QLD Australia and got into amateur clubmaking when I had some time on my hands in 2009. I started with a set of MMB and then built a set for my brother which he still plays today. In 2014 I built a set of TE forged with FST Pro 125, most people say these are one of the best Maltby irons. My daughter now plays these with an unusual but very smooth and stable shaft - Nippon NS Pro 8950 in A flex. I always felt the TE forged launched well but did not carry so I thought I would give the TS1 a try and the difference in ball flight was noticeable.  And then when the TS4 were launched who could resist, need I say more - Ping Blueprint Blades anybody? This time I used NS Pro 1050 sourced locally because they aren't available from GW which is odd. 

I also play the MG Tour Grind wedges, sometimes the Pure-Track putter (nice heavy head if you like a shorter putter). I always gravitate back to Callaway woods but I will try the TC Pro driver next.

Well done for raising the awareness and I urge anyone to have a go at building because most of the tools required will pay for themselves in one set. The biggest hurdle GW have is brand awareness, 90% of golfers will love the club they try but if they haven't heard of it walk straight into our pro shop and pay double for something mass produced and vastly inferior. Just imagine if Maltby was called Miura?

Happy to answer any questions members have and hopefully learn something myself.

8 hours ago, acem8 said:

I urge anyone to have a go at building because most of the tools required will pay for themselves in one set.

But then you find yourself with the dilemma of wanting to spend more time in the garage than with the family 🤣. True story! 

Great post and welcome to the forum! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 hours ago, acem8 said:

New member and first time poster. I am based in QLD Australia and got into amateur clubmaking when I had some time on my hands in 2009. I started with a set of MMB and then built a set for my brother which he still plays today. In 2014 I built a set of TE forged with FST Pro 125, most people say these are one of the best Maltby irons. My daughter now plays these with an unusual but very smooth and stable shaft - Nippon NS Pro 8950 in A flex. I always felt the TE forged launched well but did not carry so I thought I would give the TS1 a try and the difference in ball flight was noticeable.  And then when the TS4 were launched who could resist, need I say more - Ping Blueprint Blades anybody? This time I used NS Pro 1050 sourced locally because they aren't available from GW which is odd. 

I also play the MG Tour Grind wedges, sometimes the Pure-Track putter (nice heavy head if you like a shorter putter). I always gravitate back to Callaway woods but I will try the TC Pro driver next.

Well done for raising the awareness and I urge anyone to have a go at building because most of the tools required will pay for themselves in one set. The biggest hurdle GW have is brand awareness, 90% of golfers will love the club they try but if they haven't heard of it walk straight into our pro shop and pay double for something mass produced and vastly inferior. Just imagine if Maltby was called Miura?

Happy to answer any questions members have and hopefully learn something myself.

Building them by myself, in theory, sounds beautiful, I would be scared to death to get into it when I haven't even changed a grip yet. I am eyeballing the TS4's so hard though 👀

Welcome to MGS!

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

There is a minty set of TS3's in with regular Kuro Kage shafts on ebay for a nice price right now.  I wish it went to 6 iron as its only 8-GW, but it is still tempting.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

Has anyone here tested the TC Pro driver head yet? I'm a 9 handicap 95 SS currently gaming the Mavrik 9 degree with Tensei CK Pro Orange stiff. The only problem is my spin numbers are 3000+ and I have a positive angle of attack which I can't understand? So I am interested in an LS driver but very worried about how a high toe strike can drop out of the air. I am also keen to get my length down to 45" or less but don't want to be increasing a low/rear weight as per the Max because that will increase the spin further. 

The 7 wood also looks good but might just go with the M890 5 wood which is also 20 degrees, 2g lighter but with no adjustment and almost half the price. I think they missed an opportunity to stick with weaker lofts or add a 21 degree 7 wood to the non pro version.

49 minutes ago, acem8 said:

Has anyone here tested the TC Pro driver head yet? I'm a 9 handicap 95 SS currently gaming the Mavrik 9 degree with Tensei CK Pro Orange stiff. The only problem is my spin numbers are 3000+ and I have a positive angle of attack which I can't understand? So I am interested in an LS driver but very worried about how a high toe strike can drop out of the air. I am also keen to get my length down to 45" or less but don't want to be increasing a low/rear weight as per the Max because that will increase the spin further. 

The 7 wood also looks good but might just go with the M890 5 wood which is also 20 degrees, 2g lighter but with no adjustment and almost half the price. I think they missed an opportunity to stick with weaker lofts or add a 21 degree 7 wood to the non pro version.

So I've been "experimenting" with the TC Pro head. I'm torn as I love it for everything it does well.. but hate it for what it lacks. 

Pros

I love the shape and size! Ball speed and distance is pretty awesome! (Strike for strike, it's beating out my PXG Gen6). Face height is actually very adequate for the size of the head. Bottom of the club looks awesome. It's surprisingly forgiving all over the face. 

Cons

The sound and feel weren't what I was hoping for. I was hoping for more of a TSR3 kind of muted crunch with a pop off the face. It's not completely off-putting but definitely more metallic sounding than I was expecting. The feel just doesn't quite match the performance results either. It's just not very "hot" feeling but the results say otherwise. Toe strikes - I'm not knocking the performance as it's still quite good off the toe.. but the sound off the toe is horrendous! It sounds like a cheap softball bat. It's kind of embarrassing.. as if the driver itself is telling everyone within earshot "hey everybody this dummy just hit way out on the toe! Everybody look and laugh".

The glossy metallic black paint really isn't my favorite. I would have preferred a jet black or matte. TBH, if they had finished the top the same way they finished the bottom, this thing would look super kickass! 

Bottom line, if you can get past the superficial cons, the performance pros are very strong! 

I have this cut to play @ 45". Using the Maltby MPF Pro UL shaft in R flex (Otto Phlex 4 life!) I'm finding this combo to be low spinning but not like a knuckle ball. Maybe 2000 RPM range. High launch shaft + low spin head = bombs for days! SW is D3. Was D1 but I recently added about 4g of polyfill to the head. This makes a huge improvement to the sound. Probably voids the conformity but I'm not on any tour so I'm not too concerned. I'm keeping the club for now for practice and maybe to game on a longer track. 

Hopefully that helped some

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Interesting. The glossy head will be like my Mavrik so not a problem - I much prefer it to the 2 tone and speed fins. If they had gone matte black it would have looked like Cobra copied them with the Darkspeed.

My daughter has been 'given' a TSR1 recently so I am well aware of the solid muted sound. I am guessing the TC Pro is closer to the M890 she played before, it's not too offensive. The toe hit alarm siren sounds a bit concerning, maybe I will have to learn to use the nice wide part in the centre?

On your recommendations I might try the UL shaft. I saw your review and you are 110 SS so I reckon I need to go for the A flex for a 95 SS (when it is back in stock).

Thanks for the info.

I have a dilemma!

This experimental PTM-4 putter build has produced some very unexpected, but hoped for results. Sure nobody ever buys something expecting poor performance but so far it's far exceeded my expectations. It's such a comfortable putter and the results are possibly better than my Toulon Atlanta. Distance control is exceptional on long puts and anything within 5' is almost an immediate drop in. 

I know I'm tempting fate, but do I sell the Toulon to fund other purchases? Or do I hold onto it just for the sake of owning a Toulon that I may never get to own again? I do really want to build a PTM-5 with the same setup and I need a new golf hitting net, both of which the Toulon would fully fund. 

#firstworldproblems

MAXFLI  Tour CG

37 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I have a dilemma!

This experimental PTM-4 putter build has produced some very unexpected, but hoped for results. Sure nobody ever buys something expecting poor performance but so far it's far exceeded my expectations. It's such a comfortable putter and the results are possibly better than my Toulon Atlanta. Distance control is exceptional on long puts and anything within 5' is almost an immediate drop in. 

I know I'm tempting fate, but do I sell the Toulon to fund other purchases? Or do I hold onto it just for the sake of owning a Toulon that I may never get to own again? I do really want to build a PTM-5 with the same setup and I need a new golf hitting net, both of which the Toulon would fully fund. 

#firstworldproblems

Sell it. You have your Edel and now this putter you're having great success with. You'll get good money for that Toulon to fund the new putter and net and then still have a bunch left over to fund lots more projects.

I'm not a fan of keeping something just because you get status or something from it.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:18 PM, acem8 said:

The only problem is my spin numbers are 3000+ and I have a positive angle of attack which I can't understand

Could be a equipment issue OR it could be an in to out path and/or face well open to path. Do you know those numbers as well?

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

39 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I have a dilemma!

I wish those Momentum putters came in plumber's neck. Those look sooooo good.

25 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I wish those Momentum putters came in plumber's neck. Those look sooooo good.

Couldn't you have one built with the plumbers neck? 

Screenshot_20240304_151451_Chrome.jpg.4132f3dafd4f37196d9518cf2309ccba.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Couldn't you have one built with the plumbers neck? 
Screenshot_20240304_151451_Chrome.jpg.4132f3dafd4f37196d9518cf2309ccba.jpg
Looks like I could. Didn't know about the hosels on the website, so now I know. And knowing is half the battle. :-)

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

so now I know. And knowing is half the battle. 🙂

maxresdefault.jpg.15c3312186b91d6491e4557a2a502761.jpg

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Okay, so switching gears a BIT from my normal "oh I really like TS-____ irons, what should I do???" topic.  I am pretty desperately in need of some really reliable fairway woods.  I've been looking at used clubs, mostly, as my budget is pretty limited and spending $350 on a 3-wood  (and another on a 5 wood) seems...not likely at the moment.

Anyone have any particular thoughts on Maltby's lineup?  I really like the idea of the "rails" on the IST models (both interchangeable and fixed hosel-types).  In testing I did last year, I REALLY preferred the shallower faced models (specifically the Paradym and the G430) vs. the less-shallow (Stealth 2/low-spin heads).  

It's hard to get a grasp on the head shapes (even with the pictures) - they don't look particularly shallow, but again, hard to say.  Anyone have any experience with these? My guess is the STF2 is the shallowest, and the fact that they all have interchangeable weights is a plus, as I could always add/switch out weight if I wasn't thrilled with ball flight, but figured I'd come here and ask away, as you all seem to have tons of info.  

Thanks in advance!

(Oh! Also curious on whether or not the MPF Pro series vs. M890 vs. KuroKage is a must-have.  I've hit the Tensei Blue before, and really enjoyed that, but have no experience with the other offerings)

image.png

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

17 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Okay, so switching gears a BIT from my normal "oh I really like TS-____ irons, what should I do???" topic.  I am pretty desperately in need of some really reliable fairway woods.  I've been looking at used clubs, mostly, as my budget is pretty limited and spending $350 on a 3-wood  (and another on a 5 wood) seems...not likely at the moment.

Anyone have any particular thoughts on Maltby's lineup?  I really like the idea of the "rails" on the IST models (both interchangeable and fixed hosel-types).  In testing I did last year, I REALLY preferred the shallower faced models (specifically the Paradym and the G430) vs. the less-shallow (Stealth 2/low-spin heads).  

It's hard to get a grasp on the head shapes (even with the pictures) - they don't look particularly shallow, but again, hard to say.  Anyone have any experience with these? My guess is the STF2 is the shallowest, and the fact that they all have interchangeable weights is a plus, as I could always add/switch out weight if I wasn't thrilled with ball flight, but figured I'd come here and ask away, as you all seem to have tons of info.  

Thanks in advance!

(Oh! Also curious on whether or not the MPF Pro series vs. M890 vs. KuroKage is a must-have.  I've hit the Tensei Blue before, and really enjoyed that, but have no experience with the other offerings)

image.png

I'm curious about the TC Pro as I prefer the adjustable hosel myself.

I know you're a PXG fan @GolfSpy SAM, so the Gen6 at $230 might be an option as well as the 0211 at under $200. But I know this is about Maltby, but just figured I'd mention it.

There's a YT channel called Fit2You who does all Maltby reviews. Although some are a bit out of date, I believe there is at least 1 or 2 FW wood reviews. Might be worth a look too.

Edited by Shrek74

3 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

I'm curious about the TC Pro myself as I prefer the adjustable hosel myself.

I know you're a PXG fan @GolfSpy SAM, so the Gen6 at $230 might be an option as well as the 0211 at under $200. But I know this is about Maltby, but just figured I'd mention it.

There's a YT channel called Fit2You who does all Maltby reviews. Although some are a bit out of date, I believe there is at least 1 or 2 FW wood reviews. Might be worth a look too.

I do like the PXG stuff, for sure.  I may just hang tight until they do another crazy sale on their Gen 6 (or, you know, "crazier"), or perhaps wait until they (if?) update the 0211's.  

That being said, Maltby's prices-to-quality ratio is sooo high, just figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with any of these.  I'll for sure check out the YT! 

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I do like the PXG stuff, for sure.  I may just hang tight until they do another crazy sale on their Gen 6 (or, you know, "crazier"), or perhaps wait until they (if?) update the 0211's.  

That being said, Maltby's prices-to-quality ratio is sooo high, just figured I'd see if anyone had any experience with any of these.  I'll for sure check out the YT! 

I feel lucky having access to the Hero's pricing through my dad, so the gen6 is already really low for me and the 0211 is stupid cheap. But I'm getting a full PXG fitting in May, so I'm going to wait for that to made any decisions.

8 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Currently I'm playing the PXG Gen6 3 wood and it's one of the best I've ever used! I was playing the Cobra F6 3 wood for about 5 years and nothing up until the PXG was worth making a switch. 

I am however interested in maybe a TC Pro 5 or 7 wood. I gotta move some other clubs first but those have definitely caught my attention. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 2/29/2024 at 3:18 PM, acem8 said:

Not a fan of the m890 woods and I only have experience with the 20 degree 5.

They have a compact face and body, overall I didnt like the shape and I was not impressed with the distance.  I Built it to be a heavenwood club at 42.75 and 20 degree. Sound wasnt great either. Id go with the other newer lines.

IMG_8937.jpg

Edited by KOG

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

Ill let you in on a little Fairway wood hack I just did. These Sim 2 Max lady flex clubs are being sold for $30 shipped. Theyre demos and their heads are mint. The male and female heads are identical in SIM 2 series. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196187599383

Get the womans flex club at the super discounted price and pull the shaft (no worry if you mess it up if youre not using it) 

Place in shaft of choice....In my case a Kuro Kage I got for $30

and for $60 you got a brand new Sim 2 Max 5 Wood. Maltby has yet to outdo TM on FW woods

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2087.jpg.651f61a385f2865949c96193b2df2a3b.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg.5cb5154aa0ce080ffa41230beecfa6b5.jpg

Edited by KOG

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

On 3/4/2024 at 6:48 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

Thanks in advance!

image.png

FWIW I've played the STF2, M890 and KE4 Tour TC, but haven't tried the newer ones yet.  I currently game a KE4 Tour TC 4w and really like it.  It doesn't have quite as much pop as my old XR16, but it's more consistent and easy to hit.  It beat out some other very nice OEM fairways.  I've had it for a while now though and it's making a bit of an odd sound as if there is a crack somewhere.  Maybe time to try a new model, but I do like the shallower face height of the Tour TC.

The STF2 and M890 are decent, but not in the same class IMO.  They look a bit smaller than expected and the feel and sound just aren't as good.  They work well enough and I love that they have the weight screws too, but I would probably hunt for a used OEM fairway instead.   

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7