Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

IMG_1845.JPG.12427b804770060aaccc7c748f283420.jpeg.6c4028242d24fc040e8755934e4e6061.jpeg

I did see that. I always have a hard time comparing dark finish with Metalocalypse due to shadows and tapering but I appreciate it.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

RenderedImage.jpeg.bc69b4a9ef1561cdc9651cda1d6d0a0f.jpegRenderedImage.jpeg.127edb8da3d91aa7f40a553bfdc0707d.jpeg70673911898__288794E6-A49D-4856-B091-C0C2150B0012.jpeg.f0b52b316ced4d8db6b9d3dd616b1c88.jpegRenderedImage.jpeg.3953890e25de90296e64413424e6c7ca.jpeg

Eager to put this tester through its paces.  It sure is pretty. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I’ve not had the chance to test the TS3 7 iron much because I am trying to dial in a set of clubs I already own before I chuck them all for the Maltbys, BUT I did test the Maltby today on two par 3 (playing 154 and 162), and I put both 10 yards left of the pin and even or just past.  Very impressive since GIR is the aspect I am trying to improve right now.  It is very easy to hit, has excellent turf interaction, and feels very soft at impact.  

I am beyond intrigued.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

10 hours ago, IndyBonzo said:

I’ve not had the chance to test the TS3 7 iron much because I am trying to dial in a set of clubs I already own before I chuck them all for the Maltbys, BUT I did test the Maltby today on two par 3 (playing 154 and 162), and I put both 10 yards left of the pin and even or just past.  Very impressive since GIR is the aspect I am trying to improve right now.  It is very easy to hit, has excellent turf interaction, and feels very soft at impact.  

I am beyond intrigued.

Good info, Golfworks has so many good offerings it’s dang hard to choose. Lol

Can someone give me some info on maltby please. So went to golf galaxy today to officially see what flex I need. Turns out stiff. I was then recommended True Temper dynamic gold 120. Did some test swings with a Ping G425 irons attached to the DG 120, it was on point, but that price ouch. Anything comparable in Maltby's line up? Recommendation please for Maltby iron substitutes.

Edited by GCrush24

6 hours ago, GCrush24 said:

Can someone give me some info on maltby please. So went to golf galaxy today to officially see what flex I need. Turns out stiff. I was then recommended True Temper dynamic gold 120. Did some test swings with a Ping G425 attached to the DG 120, it was on point, but that price ouch. Anything comparable in Maltby's line up? Recommendation please. 

Here's a good place to start. There's Golfworks and then There's Maltby golf clubs. Both founded by Ralph Maltby, a very well-respected club designer who's worn quite a few hats in the industry. 

They're the DTC company that you won't hear about on YouTube or other social media because they solely rely on their products and enthusiasts (us) to do the talking for them. 

https://www.golfworks.com/about-us/

As for the driver, I've heard that the KE4 Max or TC could be quite comparable to Ping. 

Here's a review by @Popeye64on the KE4 TC a few years back, and I imagine the Max is only an improved version

hope this helps

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've been to their site, but I'm in need for game improvement clubs and all I see are ultra and super game improvement. So I'm not sure of those club are for me, unless I'm misunderstanding their club information.
So Maltby has a methodology of how to make clubs forgiving. Since they are believers in very forgiving they capitalize on their formula. So everything will be forgiving from their point of view. If your trying to compare to other brand "ultra game improvement" it is not the same aesthetics.

Take a look at their irons see what looks best. On a forgiveness scale in the game improvement range look at TS2 or TS3 the TS1 & TS1-IM are "players distance" and the TS4 &TE are close to "players".
The KE4s are also even more forgiving if you want the Ultra Game improvement style

45 minutes ago, GCrush24 said:

I've been to their site, but I'm in need for game improvement clubs and all I see are ultra and super game improvement. So I'm not sure of those club are for me, unless I'm misunderstanding their club information.

So don't let their classifications throw you off. Maltby designs their clubs with a very high level of playability and forgiveness. On appearance they look 1-2 classes lower than they play. 

Examples: I play the TS4 and previously the TS1. In appearance these are 100% player's blades. By Maltby's definition, they are game improvement because of how they are designed to play. 

Maltby is not a "fix yer game" brand like you see with a lot of gimmicky claims, or clubs sporting insane amounts of offset to cure a bad swing. They're absolutely the real deal. 

What clubs have you been used to playing? I'm sure you could get some great recommendations here for something in your wheelhouse. At the moment I'd put my money the TS3 being a win for 90% of decent to improving players. They're just THAT good

MAXFLI  Tour CG

9 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So don't let their classifications throw you off. Maltby designs their clubs with a very high level of playability and forgiveness. On appearance they look 1-2 classes lower than they play. 

Examples: I play the TS4 and previously the TS1. In appearance these are 100% player's blades. By Maltby's definition, they are game improvement because of how they are designed to play. 

Maltby is not a "fix yer game" brand like you see with a lot of gimmicky claims, or clubs sporting insane amounts of offset to cure a bad swing. They're absolutely the real deal. 

What clubs have you been used to playing? I'm sure you could get some great recommendations here for something in your wheelhouse. At the moment I'd put my money the TS3 being a win for 90% of decent to improving players. They're just THAT good

So at the moment I've been using literally used clubs from a buddy. I have my own personal nike driver and odyssey putter. I guess I was trying to find something comparable to the PING G425 Irons. 

8 hours ago, GCrush24 said:

I guess I was trying to find something comparable to the PING G425 Irons

TS3 ALL DAY LONG! 😜  Not only would these probably play and feel better but might even look a little less GI than the G425. 

And my apologies, somehow I completely missed that you were looking for irons.. not a driver. 🤦

MAXFLI  Tour CG

11 hours ago, GCrush24 said:

So at the moment I've been using literally used clubs from a buddy. I have my own personal nike driver and odyssey putter. I guess I was trying to find something comparable to the PING G425 Irons. 

If you ARE looking for game improvement irons that will make every aspect of the game easier, I'd recommend the KE4 Max irons.  They're CRAZY forgiving, they have an awesome look at address (not nearly as chunky as a lot of other game-improvement irons), and they're pretty modern-lofted (30-degree 7-iron).  https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-max-iron-heads/p/ma0337/

As Stu mentioned above, the TS3's are BEAUTIFUL, and they're also incredibly forgiving (I built up a 6 and 9-iron to demo, and they're pretty incredible), but they're definitely not as confidence-inspiring as the KE4's would be.  If you find that you're consistently striking the ball well, they'd be on my list to try, but the KE4 would be my ultimate recommendation.  

@azstu324 - how's your dad liking the KE4's?  Wasn't it you that built him up a set, and suddenly you were wondering if you should play those as well?  Or am I mixing up the threads (totally possible) 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

36 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

how's your dad liking the KE4's?  Wasn't it you that built him up a set, and suddenly you were wondering if you should play those as well?  Or am I mixing up the threads (totally possible

Yes I did build his set and he's absolutely loving them! And I'm loving seeing him have such a great time playing the game. 

If it were me and I had to choose between the KE4 Max and a set of G425's, having hit both and having an eye for players type clubs, I'd go KE4 Max in a heartbeat. They're such a great playing and looking club. Oh, and they feel like a forged club which is wild! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@azstu324 thanks for that info yeah those TS3's do look really nice. @GolfSpy SAM I do have pretty decent ball contact if anything I was catching the top of my ball in a swing with standard shafts and that's changes once I went to +1/2 . My follow up question is should I put them together with the basic scoreLT SHAFTS or pay out for those DG120. These would be my first official new clubs as I'm still new to golf, but picked up my game fairly quick. 

25 minutes ago, GCrush24 said:

My follow up question is should I put them together with the basic scoreLT SHAFTS or pay out for those DG120. These would be my first official new clubs as I'm still new to golf, but picked up my game fairly quick. 

Another nice thing about Golfworks is they will build up a single club that you can buy and test (TS3 would be like $80 for a single club I think?). If you like it, you (generally) can call them back and order the entire pack and they will give you pack pricing and take into account that you already bought one club (if that makes sense?) If you don't like the club or the build, I would imagine you could see that single club fairly easily to someone else who is trying to do the same test since Maltby clubs aren't available in stores anywhere. This is the only real way to demo maltby clubs. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

33 minutes ago, GCrush24 said:

@azstu324 thanks for that info yeah those TS3's do look really nice. @GolfSpy SAM I do have pretty decent ball contact if anything I was catching the top of my ball in a swing with standard shafts and that's changes once I went to +1/2 . My follow up question is should I put them together with the basic scoreLT SHAFTS or pay out for those DG120. These would be my first official new clubs as I'm still new to golf, but picked up my game fairly quick. 

I know you didn't ask my opinion about the shafts but my vote is for the TT Score pack set. Not just because of the budget and getting  really nice set of clubs at a reasonably low cost but because the score TT shafts are going to be very comparable to the DG 120s in feel and performance AND at a very good price. Many have noted not to let the price of the Scores throw you off. They're really a great shaft option. 

Another great thing about the TS3 model is that these are clubs that you can play through your experience level into a single digit handicap. I almost pulled the trigger on these and I'm sure I would have been just as satisfied as I am with the TS4s. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

I know you didn't ask my opinion about the shafts but my vote is for the TT Score pack set. Not just because of the budget and getting  really nice set of clubs at a reasonably low cost but because the score TT shafts are going to be very comparable to the DG 120s in feel and performance AND at a very good price. Many have noted not to let the price of the Scores throw you off. They're really a great shaft option. 

They were shockingly great in my "demo" clubs I built up, but they are (for me) a tad heavy - they weight right around 115g, and I'm used to swinging 105s, so they were just a tad heavy.  However, if you're in the 120s, or used to that weight, I'd 100% agree that a 7-iron (or whatever club(s) you want to demo first) with the Score shaft would be a REALLY great and easy choice to start with.  You might consider building up the KE4 Max and TS3 in the same club to see if you have a preference - and the KE's are so cheap ($30/head), you could build one up for about $50 ($13 for TT Score, $10-ish for grip) - you would, however, have to call Golfworks to talk to someone, as the Score shafts aren't available in the "Custom" shop online - I do believe they'll build you whatever you want, though, if you call and talk to them. 

I think that's ultimately my best advice: call them and talk to someone, and let them know you're interested in them building you a TS3 and KE4 Max in 7-iron with the Score TT to compare them against each other, and find out how much that would be.  Alternatively, you can add the individual components to your cart and build them yourself, provided you have a few other tools to put them together (I put mine together with some great advice from this page, in fact) - however, if you're not thinking of building out other clubs, that may be a one-time purchase you don't want to invest in. 

The TS-3's themselves are truly beautiful, and were it not for the that I don't NEED to upgrade (I just WANT to), they'd be in my bag, 5-GW 🙂

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

@vandyland oh that's would be a pretty good deal to get one initial club swing and then get the pack if they do the pak deal for it. Thanks for that info.

@azstu324 yeah I guess since I went to golf galaxy idk if the fitter was trying to just push those on me or what. He seemed pretty chill and nice and didn't make me feel like I must buy anything. Also from standing my wrist is 34.5 inches from the ground, but I do know he added +1/2 does that seem right ? 

34.5 actually seems to fall within standard length. That said, your height can also play a factor. 

Here's a chart that might help. Keep in mind that there is no standardized length for golf clubs from one company to the next. 

I do believe that if you call GW, they can direct you to a fitting sheet that you can complete and they can make suggestions according to their definition of "standard". 

image.png.2a6fa6730305f799d0c7c9450b64255f.png

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

They were shockingly great in my "demo" clubs I built up, but they are (for me) a tad heavy - they weight right around 115g, and I'm used to swinging 105s, so they were just a tad heavy.  However, if you're in the 120s, or used to that weight, I'd 100% agree that a 7-iron (or whatever club(s) you want to demo first) with the Score shaft would be a REALLY great and easy choice to start with.  You might consider building up the KE4 Max and TS3 in the same club to see if you have a preference - and the KE's are so cheap ($30/head), you could build one up for about $50 ($13 for TT Score, $10-ish for grip) - you would, however, have to call Golfworks to talk to someone, as the Score shafts aren't available in the "Custom" shop online - I do believe they'll build you whatever you want, though, if you call and talk to them. 

I think that's ultimately my best advice: call them and talk to someone, and let them know you're interested in them building you a TS3 and KE4 Max in 7-iron with the Score TT to compare them against each other, and find out how much that would be.  Alternatively, you can add the individual components to your cart and build them yourself, provided you have a few other tools to put them together (I put mine together with some great advice from this page, in fact) - however, if you're not thinking of building out other clubs, that may be a one-time purchase you don't want to invest in. 

The TS-3's themselves are truly beautiful, and were it not for the that I don't NEED to upgrade (I just WANT to), they'd be in my bag, 5-GW 🙂

Seriously all this information is great since I don't know about their products personally. I'm actually not used to any particular club shaft. I'll say I'm physically fit and pretty strong. With that club I tested earlier 7 iron I swing about 90-91 swing speed, 175 carry, 183 total. So if the Score will be 115 in weight then it would be safe to say I should be good. 

Edited by GCrush24

11 minutes ago, GCrush24 said:

Seriously all this information is great since I don't know about their products personally. I'm actually not used to any particular club shaft. I'll say I'm physically fit and pretty strong. With that club I tested earlier 7 iron I swing about 90-91 swing speed, 175 carry, 183 total. So if the Score will be 115 then it would be say to say I should be good. 

And then when you get just far enough down the rabbit hole, you'll run into posts about 115 mph driver speeds using 45g Senior flex shafts and then your world gets flipped on its head.. 🤣😂

This game is awesome! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Another great thing about the TS3 model is that these are clubs that you can play through your experience level into a single digit handicap. I almost pulled the trigger on these and I'm sure I would have been just as satisfied as I am with the TS4s. 

Could the Score be tipped even further than Stiff? Not sure how the profile will be affected.

Just now, pozzit said:
2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Could the Scop be tipped even further than Stiff? Not sure how the profile will be affected.

I imagine it could be.. but that would definitely be a question for the GW brass. I'm sure it's been inquired before

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I imagine it could be.. but that would definitely be a question for the GW brass. I'm sure it's been inquired before
I'll post on their forum and see what I get back.

3 minutes ago, pozzit said:
5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I'll post on their forum and see what I get back.

I went R+ (split the difference between S & R tips) and liked it a lot - again, just a tad too heavy for my taste.  But I'm pretty sure you could go beyond Stiff to X, or maybe S+?  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Also does anyone have experience with the FST 125 shafts? I see they are back and stock and I would perfer a lower launch shaft.

I currently play Ctaper and have heard the FST Pro is very comparable but I know they have not produced those for several years.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, IndyBonzo said:

I am 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

I went R+ (split the difference between S & R tips) and liked it a lot - again, just a tad too heavy for my taste.  But I'm pretty sure you could go beyond Stiff to X, or maybe S+?  

According to Jim Y, the Score cannot be cut to a true X. 

The KE4 Max is about the same size of the pings , maybe a little smaller and rounder but they are more forgiving and feel better. They dont look like SGI clubs.

I have ke4 max 5-8 and TS3 9 and pw. Best clubs I ever played and paired with dg300 stiff shafts. Take a look see. Pretty sharp not SGI looking clubs and the TS3 are overall amazing clubs for any skill level. They feel like a world class forged club and the feel of puring a shot is comparable to a Mizuno forging or a maybe a Willson Staff blade feel. So soft. I am considering going all ts3, but like the above poster, I dont need to and I love the Ke4 Max 

IMG_9301.jpg

Edited by KOG

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

1 hour ago, KOG said:

The KE4 Max is about the same size of the pings , maybe a little smaller and rounder but they are more forgiving and feel better. They dont look like SGI clubs.

I have ke4 max 5-8 and TS3 9 and pw. Best clubs I ever played and paired with dg300 stiff shafts. Take a look see. Pretty sharp not SGI looking clubs and the TS3 are overall amazing clubs for any skill level. They feel like a world class forged club and the feel of puring a shot is comparable to a Mizuno forging or a maybe a Willson Staff blade feel. So soft. I am considering going all ts3, but like the above poster, I dont need to and I love the Ke4 Max 

IMG_9301.jpg

The TS3 feel is undoubtedly making waves.. but how good do the KE4 Max feel for a cast club?! When I took my dad's set out for a spin after I built them I was floored by how good they felt. I'd argue that there are forged blades that don't feel as good. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG