J10

What do you know about MacGregor?

Our Sponsors

I'm looking at getting a set of MacGregor M685 Forged irons and I believe they have Rifle 4.5 shafts in them. I'm getting them for my brother because he wants to get in to forged irons and this seems like a really good deal. He doesn't have an aggressive swing, more smooth than anything. I'm just not familiar with these irons or shaft. Anyone familiar with either? I can get the clubs for $100 in nearly new shape. 

:titelist-small: 915 D3, 9.5°

:callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 15°

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-T11, 50°

:vokey-small: 52°

:mizuno-small: 56°

:ping-small: Ally i 

Posted (edited)

Not familiar with the irons, but the Rifle shafts are a nice shaft. I played the 5.5s back when they were in production. I don't think they are a problem except I don't believe they make them anymore. If one breaks it might be hard to find a replacement 4.5. For $100 it is worth it. What do you have to lose?   Someone here may be familiar with the heads.

Edited by Letthebigdogshunt

These were $800 new. The 4.5 shafts are a Reg flex.  I played a set of these for a year.  They are awesome.  Especially for $100.  They are not a forged head by any means.  The faces are forged, and welded to a cast body.  

My recommendation is to buy them.

• Like 2

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

They were issued in 2014 new, so they are now 6 years old. I know Golfsmith owned the McGregor patents so I guess Dicks has them now. But I have not seen any new issues in several years. Back in the 1980’s I gamed the Nicklaus Muirfield blades mad3 by McGregor...they were awesome.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I have had several MacGregor clubs over the years.  I have a set of M685 with the 4.5 Rifle shafts.  They were introduced in 2006.  I preferred the feel of the MacGregor VIP 1025M clubs from 2001, but these are nice clubs.  

Here are the specs:

1473909830_MacgregorM685specs.jpeg.e4a89fb0c9a7411d1b827d5320e37d54.jpeg

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use this website to research iron characteristics:

http://ralphmaltby.com/mpf/macgregor/

M685 #6

• Year 2006
  • Brand MacGregor
  • Head Weight 255g
  • "C" Dimension 1.150
  • Basic VCOG 0.894
  • Moment of Inertia (MOI) 13.4102
  • Actual RCOG 0.828
  • Loft 31
  • VCOG Adjustment -0.175
  • Actual VCOG 0.719
  • VCOG Correction Factor 0
  • MOI Correction Factor 40
  • Calculated Points 471
  • MPF 501

I use this website to research value: 

https://valueguide.pga.com/library/4091/iron-set/macgregor/m685/?s=2 

You may notice the PGA Value guide website does not have any info. That means you will not be able to trade them in at any PGA Superstore because it is not a main stream brand. 

The 1.15 C dimension means the sweet spot is 1.15 inches from the hosel. That is pretty close to the hosel and will be hard for higher handicappers to hit the club pure. 

The MPF is a players club category with some game improvement features but not terribly forgiving. 

If you have a consistent swing then it will be great. 

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Buy them buy them now. I had a V-Foil driver for years, and my first irons were MacGregor Muirfield 20th Anniversary. I miss them...

Take Dead Aim

At 27 my first set of clubs was a mixed bag of blades.  The next year I got a set of Cleveland 792’s, an ugly egg shaped shovel.  The following year when the Canadian distributor for Macgregor went bankrupt I got a set of Tourney PCB forged irons.  Still have these but moved on to current clubs when I got back into golf a few years ago.  Still take one of the Macgregor clubs out to the range with me every so often.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

nothing game improvement about them. head does has a somewhat low vcog.  Shafts are nice, mid flight. Profiles similar to KBS C-Taper Parallel