Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bandon Dunes or Pebble Beach

Titleist87

I played Bandon Dunes several years ago while Old McDonald was under construction. We played Bandon Trails once, and Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes each twice. I turn 50 next year and talking to my wife about doing a golf trip (she does not golf) for my birthday. Yes, there is the history of Pebble Beach but I loved playing Bandon and playing Old McDonald needs to happen. I get a lot more bang for my buck at Bandon. I figure I can stay three nights at Bandon and four rounds of golf for $1700 (2021 rates in July). Pebble Beach is $2775 (2020 dollars) for two nights and two rounds of golf. After some medical issues I faced this year, money is tight and I will be paying bills for a few years so cost is a factor. I calculated without caddie fees which could approach $600 at Bandon and unknown at Pebble. Total with estimated airfare, caddie, and rental car is close to a $500 difference in favor of Bandon (and more w/caddie at PB) and play twice the rounds and one more night if I choose Bandon. 

If I choose Pebble Beach, what second course should I play? I'm not familiar with the others.

Does Pebble use caddies? Cost?

Edited by Titleist87

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Is your wife going? If she is, Pebble is a much better place for a non golfer. If you go there, there are a lot of great courses but Spyglass to me would be the one. It will add to your total $$’s though. 

If it’s just a golf trip Bandon is the way to go, but IMO stay an extra day and play all 6 courses. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I think with the addition of the Sheep Ranch Bandon would be my clear choice. Don't get me wrong pebble would be amazing and a incredible experience, but Bandon has my vote.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

dare I say Bandon is the "new" Pebble Beach?  J/K !!!  put away the pitchforks.

I've never played either but have been to both areas; we used to go to Bandon as a family before the golf course was built. A gorgeous coastline. We drove from Palo Alto to Carmel and I walked on the beach next to the course and walked up on one of the greens for a pic.... this was about 25 years ago so security was a little more relaxed.

IMO Bandon seems to be a 'golf complex' ... golf, golf, and all golf. Yep, there are things you can drive up the coast to; some neat little towns, but Bandon is all about the golf.

Pebble has Carmel and that place is awesome for non-golfers. Shops, restaurants, art studios, etc. 

@THEZIPR23 said it best - if you have someone who isn't a golfer and needs to "find something to do" while you're golfing Bandon would be tough. If you want to golf and relax along the coastline Bandon is great. The only other thing I would add - and those who watched the 2020 AM saw it - that Oregon fog along the coast is no joke. It can blow in at any time in an instant. You typically don't get that as badly at Pebble. My luck would be the fog blows in on the first tee and out on 18... lol

BTW - Not sure if you guys caught it but during the 2020 AM when it was nice and sunny with no wind the announcers said that they called the place "Ban-diego".... HA! I was stationed in Oceanside and would definitely agree.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I agree with the others if the wife is going as a non golfer I would definitely go Pebble.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

It's your birthday.  Go where you want, and it sounds like Bandon would give you what you want for less money.  I've been to Pebble but didn't play.  I've been to Bandon, and my wife and I played.  I vote Bandon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I would vote Bandon simply because you mentioned cost is a factor and in every way it is cheaper for more (more golf for more days). I think the Caddie cost is like $100 + Tip at the end of the round (another $100?).  I would say Spyglass and Spanish Bay are both great choices to take a look at. In the same stretch of road is Poppy Hills as well which is pretty decent track. If you drive up the road a bit there is also Bayonet Black-horse Golf (36 holes) that are some of my favorite courses in the area  AND at a lower price than any of the ones on 17 mile drive. (Website: https://www.bayonetblackhorse.com/club/scripts/public/public.asp?NS=PUBLIC )...OK I changed my vote...You have already played Bandon before...Go play Pebble (check if off your bucket list), then go play Bayonet Black-horse 😉 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

that Oregon fog along the coast is no joke. It can blow in at any time in an instant. You typically don't get that as badly at Pebble. My luck would be the fog blows in on the first tee and out on 18... lol

I have been lucky enough to avoid this on both my trips to Pebble, but I have also Played Spyglass (just down the road) twice and never seen the place!!...Could not see more than 100 yards in front of me. Was during NCGA turni's and they don't let you wait. You literally would hit your shot from the fairway or green the Yell back "CLEAR!" so the group behind you knew they could hit. While watching the pro-am you mentioned I was having flashbacks to those rounds..More props to them for managing it so well! 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

• 2 weeks later...

Are you tied to going in July/Aug? Sept or early Oct are the best time for both - the fog can be bad in Pebble Beach and is a complete lottery in June through Aug - strangely, Pebble Beach avoids the worst of it but Spanish and Spy can be unplayable (though it usually clears up enough to be playable by late morning). By mid -sept the weather is awesome. 
Before moving to CA a couple of years ago we lived in Portland and spent a lot of time on the Oregon coast - early fall was usually the most reliable weather. In terms of the golf, it goes without saying that you can’t go wrong at either. Pebble is special, though - the kind of course where you remember every shot you hit (except maybe for on 11 through 13, which are probably the least memorable holes in my opinion - 15 and 16 also get a bit lost in the anticipation of 17 and 18)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9deg, 15 deg tensei av blue x flex

Cobra F9 hybrid 17deg, 24 deg

Mizuno MP20 (6,7,8 MMC, 9,PW MB)

Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

Bandon. 

Old Mac and the Sheep Ranch are worth the trip back. Sheep Ranch might be the best course at the complex, and for that matter might just be the best golf course full stop. 

You also have the par 3 course that you haven't seen and it is spectacular, and scratches that itch of wanting to play more, but knowing your legs can't do another the 7 miles of a second 18.

The town of Bandon is cute, it has a nice waterfront, shops, restaurants etc. I'd rather spend a day there than in Monterey. 

That said, if you do go Pebble, I'd recommend Poppy Hills or Spanish Bay. Spyglass has the best name recognition, but it is a true beast of a course. If you like a punishing round, its your huckleberry. Poppy or Bayonet are both good and can save you some $$. 

To answer your question about caddies, the Pebble courses do have them. The cost is on par with Bandon, so no real difference there. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV