Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

17 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

I’m almost positive @GolfSpy_APH has a topic going about these shafts on the forum. Good read. 

Yep just found it under (of course duh 🤦‍♂️) Member Reviews...

Newton Motion review

Good conversation going on there!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Doing some winter tinkering. I have a Graffalloy PL Blue that I had in a Driver and want to move it to my 3 wood. I want to tip trim it because that worked great in an Evenflow Riptide CB in another 3 wood I had (Ping 410). This one is going in a Paradym TD 3. I trimmed about an inch off the Evenflow and was thinking I’d do the same for the Graffalloy. Anyone do the same- tip trim their Graffalloy for a fairway wood? 
Any thoughts in general? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

48 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

Doing some winter tinkering. I have a Graffalloy PL Blue that I had in a Driver and want to move it to my 3 wood. I want to tip trim it because that worked great in an Evenflow Riptide CB in another 3 wood I had (Ping 410). This one is going in a Paradym TD 3. I trimmed about an inch off the Evenflow and was thinking I’d do the same for the Graffalloy. Anyone do the same- tip trim their Graffalloy for a fairway wood? 
Any thoughts in general? 

So the PLB 45g only has a 2" parallel tip which is much shorter than most.. but I think that's why it's so stable. You go anything over 1" and the shaft might be toast because it might not fit all the way inside the adapter. That's just my $.02. The trimming instructions actually recommended no tip trimming. I'd probably say no more than .75" just to be safe. 

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So the PLB 45g only has a 2" parallel tip which is much shorter than most.. but I think that's why it's so stable. You go anything over 1" and the shaft might be toast because it might not fit all the way inside the adapter. That's just my $.02. The trimming instructions actually recommended no tip trimming. I'd probably say no more than .75" just to be safe. 

Trimmed just shy of an inch and the adapter fits perfect. Will trim the butt end tomorrow after the epoxy cures. I’m very excited for this set-up. The low spin Triple Diamond with the Otto Phlex- I used to launch the Ping too high and it ballooned. I will report back. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

Investigating Ai Smoke and it looks to be a slower driver … both TM and Cobra are generating faster swing speeds and ball speeds … so that would degrade all gains with GPLB set up. I won’t be going there !

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

I'm back with a report about the Maltby MPF UL shafts. After about a month with the shaft I've concluded that this thing is kickass! I wanted to try something just a little bit more firm than the garofaloi PLB A flex but in the same relative weight class.  I got this in R flex. This thing absolutely delivers on every angle. It still has a little bit of whip to it but it is so ridiculously stable and smooth and I would argue maybe even more consistent than the PLB. Not to take anything away from the PLB but I would say that I even prefer the maltby shaft just a little bit more.. and it's even cheaper! If you've been using any version of the PLB or even other OP variations, and want to either work on  increasing your swing speed or just try something a little bit more firm, try this shaft!

MAXFLI  Tour CG

7 hours ago, rlb4 said:

What is the difference between the Maltby MPF UL and DR series?

UL means "Ultra Lite" and DR is their standard Driver line. Ultimately about 20 grams lighter and just a little softer profile. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

25 minutes ago, The Horse said:

@azstu324 For the GWX in your fairway, did you tip the shaft to according to normal golfworks tipping instructions and length?  Also, did you target a similar swing weight as your driver?

Thanks for your contributions to this project, simply amazing! 

Yeah on the GWX shaft, follow the trimming instructions. Otherwise it would play too soft with the FW wood heads being heavier. 

As for SW, I've found certain shafts to be very stable at more standard swing weights. I played the PLB at about D3+. And my MPF UL is about D2+ and both are extremely stable. I would say for the sake of maintaining any feeling, don't go any lower than D0 for sure. 

Hopefully that helped 😁

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 2/13/2024 at 10:40 PM, azstu324 said:

I'm back with a report about the Maltby MPF UL shafts. After about a month with the shaft I've concluded that this thing is kickass! I wanted to try something just a little bit more firm than the garofaloi PLB A flex but in the same relative weight class.  I got this in R flex. This thing absolutely delivers on every angle. It still has a little bit of whip to it but it is so ridiculously stable and smooth and I would argue maybe even more consistent than the PLB. Not to take anything away from the PLB but I would say that I even prefer the maltby shaft just a little bit more.. and it's even cheaper! If you've been using any version of the PLB or even other OP variations, and want to either work on  increasing your swing speed or just try something a little bit more firm, try this shaft!

I need to finish setting mine up. I glued the top on, but haven’t trimmed to length and got the grip on. Been too busy. Hoping to get that done this weekend.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

Hello all! Been a long time lurker and have enjoyed this thread and others on the topic. I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45 A Flex shaft. Cut it to a playing length of 45.75”, which  is an inch longer than my gamer. I'm currently using a Paradym Triple Diamond 9* head. I put an 18g weight in the back with the stock 2g in the front to adjust the swing weight to somewhere close to D1 or D2. I have a tour strong adapter turned down to 7* currently. After the first swing I had a big smile on my face! Why did I wait so long to try this! Hit about 15 balls into the woods and I’m very impressed with the initial results. Can’t wait to get it on the course!

FYI, I did have an Accra TZ6-65 in M5 flex, so this is a much different beast!

LW- MG4 58* (60* bent strong)

SW- MG4 54* (56* bent strong)

GW- MG4 50*

4-PW - Paradise P-1 Prototype

3 Hybrid- PXG Black OPS

3W- Taylormade Stealth 2 HL

Driver- PXG Black OPS 9*

Putter- L.A.B. DF 2.1 Armlock

10 minutes ago, geeman8 said:

Hit about 15 balls into the woods and I’m very impressed with the initial results

Assuming the "woods" is the area past the driving range? And not the woods to the right or left of the fairway you're on😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 minute ago, azstu324 said:

Assuming the "woods" is the area past the driving range? And not the woods to the right or left of the fairway you're on😜

Haha should’ve elaborated! I live on 25 acres in the middle of nowhere, so I’ll save junk balls for the backyard range. Me and the boys will take hikes to find as many as possible and do it again!

LW- MG4 58* (60* bent strong)

SW- MG4 54* (56* bent strong)

GW- MG4 50*

4-PW - Paradise P-1 Prototype

3 Hybrid- PXG Black OPS

3W- Taylormade Stealth 2 HL

Driver- PXG Black OPS 9*

Putter- L.A.B. DF 2.1 Armlock

3 minutes ago, geeman8 said:

Haha should’ve elaborated! I live on 25 acres in the middle of nowhere, so I’ll save junk balls for the backyard range. Me and the boys will take hikes to find as many as possible and do it again!

gotcha-funny.gif.79e9032d42901f11e0af781b61ee62b3.gif

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Got  out this morning, set up is 46” jumbo grip head set to 9.5 and draw . Really comfortable now with the driver. Distance is good and it is predictable. Had now a couple of rounds in the mid seventies and the dropped shots were not the driver. 
So now it’s concentrate on other parts to really make scoring headway. 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

I just received my Maltby MPF Pro UL R. Their website mentions to install the adapter so that the red line on the handle is facing up and the white line is facing the target in the address position. How critical is that since I might be changing the settings depending on the head I'm playing? 

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

I just received my Maltby MPF Pro UL R. Their website mentions to install the adapter so that the red line on the handle is facing up and the white line is facing the target in the address position. How critical is that since I might be changing the settings depending on the head I'm playing? 

That's something I did not know. Sounds like they possibly spine aligning and mark the shafts? Or did you pay for Pureing? 

I just installed the shaft so the small Maltby logo on the back of the shaft is facing up. I use it for a visual alignment to make sure I'm not holding the face closed at address. My OCD might not allow for anything else. 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

5 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

That's something I did not know. Sounds like they possibly spine aligning and mark the shafts? Or did you pay for Pureing? 

I just installed the shaft so the small Maltby logo on the back of the shaft is facing up. I use it for a visual alignment to make sure I'm not holding the face closed at address. My OCD might not allow for anything else. 😜

It was in the questions. I didn't pay extra for pureing. As a righty the large logo is facing up at address. But I don't see why it would matter if you rotate it 180* so the small log is facing up since it's in the same plane.

Tell me with the Flo testing done on Maltby UL will the graphics on the shaft line up when installed in head.I don’t quite understand the line on top description to me that means line on shaft should face head.please clarify for me . Thanks!

The factory tests the shafts in a vertical FLO plane and mark that plane with a White line. They rotate the shaft 90 degrees and mark the shaft with a Red line. When installed you want the Red line on the top of the shaft. The top of the shaft is the side you see when the club is place in the playing position. This puts the White line facing the target. You want the white line in the plane going to and from the target.

In what orientation should the shaft be installed to take advantage of the flat oscillation and where does that place the hard side of the shaft?

The MPF Pro Series shafts are marked on the butt end with a White line that identifies a vertical oscillation plane and a Red line that is 90* from the White line. When you install the shaft you put the Red line on the top of the shaft so that the White line is facing the target for a RH golfer.

1 hour ago, rlb4 said:

It was in the questions. I didn't pay extra for pureing. As a righty the large logo is facing up at address. But I don't see why it would matter if you rotate it 180* so the small log is facing up since it's in the same plane.

Tell me with the Flo testing done on Maltby UL will the graphics on the shaft line up when installed in head.I don’t quite understand the line on top description to me that means line on shaft should face head.please clarify for me . Thanks!

The factory tests the shafts in a vertical FLO plane and mark that plane with a White line. They rotate the shaft 90 degrees and mark the shaft with a Red line. When installed you want the Red line on the top of the shaft. The top of the shaft is the side you see when the club is place in the playing position. This puts the White line facing the target. You want the white line in the plane going to and from the target.

In what orientation should the shaft be installed to take advantage of the flat oscillation and where does that place the hard side of the shaft?

The MPF Pro Series shafts are marked on the butt end with a White line that identifies a vertical oscillation plane and a Red line that is 90* from the White line. When you install the shaft you put the Red line on the top of the shaft so that the White line is facing the target for a RH golfer.

Man I didn't realize they did that. What other manufacturer goes to the trouble? None that I know of. So far the way I have it set up seems to be working great. 

Keep us posted on what you think. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

15 minutes ago, rlb4 said:

Will do. I think I might email them to ask if it matters whether the white line faces front or back.

I'm guessing that it's probably the difference between a randomly oriented shaft VS a PURE'd, FLO'd, or Spine aligned. Maybe a small difference? 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Nothing new to this group, just an fyi - from a Golf Science Lab (Cordie Walker) newsletter...

Finding the right shaft profile

At a PGA show probably around 5-6 years ago I got a quick shaft fitting from Jon Sinclair into a TPT shaft and Ping G430 with some more flex than I was used to. It was great getting new driver but didn't think much of it that spring. That summer I started tracking strokes gained stats with Mark Broadie's app and learned that driver had become the strongest part of my game... by a lot.

With the right set up I suddenly had found a weapon that launched the ball on the right launch angle and felt great to swing. The odd thing was I went to a shaft that had a what felt like a lot of flex. It had a low kick point so you could really feel it bend towards the driver head. And that low kick felt good in my swing and got the ball launched higher for me with not too much spin.

My questions for you is... Have you tried a shaft with MORE FLEX than your used to lately?

I actually got fit in a regular basis and find it really difficult to find any combo that beats this 6 year old driver and shaft. The lesson here is that sticking with the conventional… I have XXX mph swing speed so I must play this shaft is probably hurting you.

One crazy fact I found along the way is that most long drive pros are using a regular or in some cases senior flex shaft.

I couldn’t believe they would use so much flex and work to time it up to optimize launch and speed. Now it’s not the most accurate and stable combo but there is a lesson there.

If you’ve historically fought your driver I can’t recommend enough getting a fitting and trying shafts with different kick points and flex to really see what works best for you.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Wow, I didn't know the G430 was around 5-6 years ago. 😄

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

24 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Nothing new to this group, just an fyi - from a Golf Science Lab (Cordie Walker) newsletter...

Finding the right shaft profile

At a PGA show probably around 5-6 years ago I got a quick shaft fitting from Jon Sinclair into a TPT shaft and Ping G430 with some more flex than I was used to. It was great getting new driver but didn't think much of it that spring. That summer I started tracking strokes gained stats with Mark Broadie's app and learned that driver had become the strongest part of my game... by a lot.

With the right set up I suddenly had found a weapon that launched the ball on the right launch angle and felt great to swing. The odd thing was I went to a shaft that had a what felt like a lot of flex. It had a low kick point so you could really feel it bend towards the driver head. And that low kick felt good in my swing and got the ball launched higher for me with not too much spin.

My questions for you is... Have you tried a shaft with MORE FLEX than your used to lately?

I actually got fit in a regular basis and find it really difficult to find any combo that beats this 6 year old driver and shaft. The lesson here is that sticking with the conventional… I have XXX mph swing speed so I must play this shaft is probably hurting you.

One crazy fact I found along the way is that most long drive pros are using a regular or in some cases senior flex shaft.

I couldn’t believe they would use so much flex and work to time it up to optimize launch and speed. Now it’s not the most accurate and stable combo but there is a lesson there.

If you’ve historically fought your driver I can’t recommend enough getting a fitting and trying shafts with different kick points and flex to really see what works best for you.

We be like.. 

goddamn-joe-dirt.gif.0c934cd0d240540b978a8358760e3a38.gif

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Ok, I've read every page of this thread (58 in Chrome) and every comment (over 1700) now. It's been a long strange trip. 😉

I've been taking notes the entire process and will share them momentarily for all to enjoy. I also looked through the GW website looking for shafts that might match the OP process (20g lighter, 2 flexes lighter) that were under $100 (my Motore X F3 is on here only because it's what I got with my PXG Gen5 driver and wanted to have it in my list for comparison). I'll post those screen grabs from my spreadsheet (yes, I have an OP spreadsheet) for both A-flex and L-flex. I'm sure there are tons more options, these are just what I found on GW under $100.

Hopefully my shared info will help all with a good summary of the OP design, options out there, and some SW alteration details. Not everything in the following post will be perfect for everyone, but I think it does a nice job summarizing what's been put in the thread and used as a baseline for the OP experiment.

image.png.83c12c7943b4d64e349b40ec2d64fc5b.png

Screenshot2024-02-26140037.png.932ff517af05838a012735e133d3bbc8.png

MPF Categories    
First Number    Swing Speed (1=slowest, 5=highest)
First Letter    D=Distance, C=Control, B=Both D&C
Second Number    1=Low Trajectory, 2=Mid Traj, 3=High Traj.
Second Letter    S=Fix Slice, H=Fix Hook, M=No Correction

--------------------------------------------------------

2 swing flexes lighter
20+ grams lighter in weight (45-55g raw)

High Launch Shaft w/ Low Loft Setting
Mid Launch Shaft w/ Standard Loft Setting
Low Launch Shaft w/ High Loft Setting

Torque should be in the 4* or lower to ensure the shaft bends but the head stays still.
It's been found that higher torque still works, but it's shaft and swing dependent.

Swing weight should be around D0-D1 which is what Autoflex would normally be.
D2-D3 might be ok as well, but should be tested with your swing and head/shaft combo to validate.

More controlled swing required. Tempo is king! Smoother is better. Smooth is fast.

Shaft weight + flex/feel + length + swing weight = OP

For fairway woods and hybrids
They might benefit from slightly heavier shafts but still in the same flex as what the driver will be.
Keep that swing weight around the D0-D1 range, but D2-D3 might also work if that works in the driver.

For Irons
Swing weight for longer clubs should remain around D0, up to 6i or 7i.
Swing weight for shorter clubs should be around D1, 7i or 8i and in.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cutting 1/2″ off grip end of shaft - 3 SW decrease
Adding 1/2" to end of grip - 3 SW increase

Adding 2 grams to clubhead - 1 SW increase
Removing 2 grams from head - 1 SW decrease

Adding 5 grams to grip end of shaft - 1 SW decrease
Removing 5 grams from grip end of shaft - 1 SW increase

3 layers of masking buildup tape under grip - 1 SW

Flattening lie angle 4 degrees - 1 SW increase

Shaft weight decreased 9 grams - 1 SW decrease
Shaft weight increased 9 grams - 1 SW increase
(ex: 90 g shaft = 1 SW more than 80 g shaft)

4.5 inches of normal 1/2 inch wide lead tape (or 2 grams) - 1 SW point

3.15 inches of “high density” 1/2 inch wide lead tape (or 2 grams) - 1 SW point

Edited by Shrek74

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

@Shrek74 really great info!! 

@azstu324 - maybe for future new people to the topic, copy & paste those details into your initial (#1) post..? 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

6 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

@Shrek74 really great info!! 

@azstu324 - maybe for future new people to the topic, copy & paste those details into your initial (#1) post..? 

I think there's a way to make a pinned post at the beginning of the thread. I've never done it, so not sure how to.

The Otto Phlex strikes again!