Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

Hey all!

Has anyone tried the Accra iwoods as an OP option?  

I want to try an OP shaft in the Qi10, and I have had excellent results with the Accra FX 3.0 140 M0 in the Paradym.  I prefer not to buy another FX at $200+ but want to try an OP shaft before changing the adapter on the FX.

Or maybe I take @azstu324’s advice and get a Maltby UL.

Too many choices!

EDIT:  I found the Accra shaft new in M2 senior flex for $23 at Pro Clubs so I ordered one.  Will report back.

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Have any of you slower swingers tried an L flex?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

21 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Yes, via an older Cobra driver that was my wife's (before I got her a newer one).

Shaft was a Fuji (something) and while it was useful at the start of my own O-P Experiment .. ultimately I settled on an A flex. For me and the way I swing I need just that little bit more of stability yet still have a nice kick at impact.

If you've read through this thread you'll see that .. obviously .. everyone has different tendencies so the best thing is to do your own trial & error. Good luck!!

Edited by cksurfdude

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 3/14/2024 at 6:58 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

I use L flex in GPLB , but to be honest this is stout shaft in all forms. It also depends on transition and that’s why autoflex and ottophlex work for some and not others. If you need a stiff shaft because your transition isn’t fluid you will either be paying a lot to get lighter and maintain stiffness or you cannot use the lighter cheap shafts. 
I may have missed the point but I have been trying to get as light possible. 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

On 3/11/2024 at 10:20 AM, IndyBonzo said:

Hey all!

Has anyone tried the Accra iwoods as an OP option?  

I want to try an OP shaft in the Qi10, and I have had excellent results with the Accra FX 3.0 140 M0 in the Paradym.  I prefer not to buy another FX at $200+ but want to try an OP shaft before changing the adapter on the FX.

Or maybe I take @azstu324’s advice and get a Maltby UL.

Too many choices!

EDIT:  I found the Accra shaft new in M2 senior flex for $23 at Pro Clubs so I ordered one.  Will report back.

My favorite choice so far has also been the Accra FX 3.0 140 in the M1 flex. 

I've got one of the new Autoflex Dream 7 shafts and honestly am almost preferring the Accra shaft more. 

My bag is a revolving door!

6 hours ago, Ding-dong said:

I use L flex in GPLB , but to be honest this is stout shaft in all forms. It also depends on transition and that’s why autoflex and ottophlex work for some and not others. If you need a stiff shaft because your transition isn’t fluid you will either be paying a lot to get lighter and maintain stiffness or you cannot use the lighter cheap shafts. 
I may have missed the point but I have been trying to get as light possible. 

People have been known to smoke a cigarette during my transition.  I GPLB the Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

3 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

GPLB the Graffaloy Pro Launch Blue?

Yes available from Golf Works online .. can get it trimmed and with an adapter and grip, if you choose.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This may be taboo for this thread, but has anyone seen that Autoflex came out with an additional two shafts in their family?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

This may be taboo for this thread, but has anyone seen that Autoflex came out with an additional two shafts in their family?

jrkdZq.gif.4646d089027da6fef3391842f6d1d3b7.gif

"THE FIRST RULE OF OTTO PHLEX.. IS YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT AUTOFLEX!!"

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

9 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I have the new Dream 7 shaft 

What do you think of it? Which "flex"?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What do you think of it? Which "flex"?

I have the OG Autoflex in 505x and got the 505x again in the Dream 7 shaft. The D7 feels firmer during the hit and the tip section is stiffer than the OG. The dream 7 in the 505x feels more like the OG in the 505xx flex. Flight is lower for the D7 and I don't have to loft down quite as much. Overall I feel like the D7 is straighter and wants to be hit hard. 

My bag is a revolving door!

On 2/10/2024 at 3:45 PM, DukeStKing said:

Doing some winter tinkering. I have a Graffalloy PL Blue that I had in a Driver and want to move it to my 3 wood. I want to tip trim it because that worked great in an Evenflow Riptide CB in another 3 wood I had (Ping 410). This one is going in a Paradym TD 3. I trimmed about an inch off the Evenflow and was thinking I’d do the same for the Graffalloy. Anyone do the same- tip trim their Graffalloy for a fairway wood? 
Any thoughts in general? 

Total failure with the Callaway TD 3 wood. I couldn’t hit it with the stock shaft, the Otto Phlex… nothing. Already sent it back to CPO for an 80% refund. Exchanged it for the Apex UW 17* after hitting the hell out of the 21* 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

On 9/27/2022 at 10:35 PM, azstu324 said:

You read it correctly.. "Otto Phlex". I'm sure there's not a person on MGS or in the golf world who hasn't heard of (or seen) the Auto Flex shaft. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, Auto Flex is a South Korean company that has basically branded their flagship shaft as a very flexible, but high performing, high tech, and somewhat "magic" shaft made with "Secret Hidden Korean Technology". The concept lends itself to the idea that a specific flexy profile can help increase clubhead and ball speed, while increasing launch and keeping spin relatively low, and improving disbursement and forgiveness, therefore yielding results of long, straight, towering bombs.. I mean, who doesn't what that right? Another claim is that while keeping the profile relatively soft, tempo improves, and the overall risk for injury can be reduced. 

Well I'll be one of the first to admit it. I was NEVER enamored by the claims and especially the price of the AutoFlex. Oh, and let's not forget about the color scheme.. Ultra Hot Pink? not my jam Sam. As a sole provider trying my best to balance a decent golf game on a budget with my family life, spending $800+ on a hot pink golf shaft just isn't something that interests me.. regardless of the claims. 

Well over the past year or so, there have been a few Youtube channels that have showcased the AutoFlex Hack.. or as I like to call it, the "Otto Phlex". It has been somewhat theorized that the secret sauce to the AutoFlex is based on the following basic profile characteristics: 2-3 flexes lighter than your preferred flex or frequency, at least 1 or even 2 weight classes lower than your preferred weight, a swingweight between D0 and D2 depending on the flex, and a mid/high launch profile. It has also been debated that the Autoflex works best when it's at least 46" or longer. I tried starting at 46.5" and just didn't like the length. I then tried shorter .5" increments and I ended up at 45" and I'll explain how I got there in a bit. 

OK before anybody sounds the alarm, I realize that all of these characteristics are subject to each shaft company's interpretation and that there is no such thing as a standardized R, S, X, etc, flex shaft. All of these characteristics are based on broad generalities and this experiment has quite a bit of wiggle room so don't get your plaid golf knickers in a twist. (there, got that out of the way)

I've been playing the MotoreX F1 6X for the past 2 years. It's an XS shaft according to Fujikura, it weighs in at about 68g uncut. I've played it at about D5 SW but the shaft can take the extra head weight with no issues. Up until very recently, this was supposed to be my "Forever" shaft. It just works and up to this point I just couldn't find anything better. This is however going by conventional wisdom standards that with 110+ mph swing speed, I need to play either a hefty stiff or XS profile shaft and my preferred weight has always been sub 70g in driver. 

InShot_20200305_221841708.jpg.541d033200b300b2437e53ea96abea52.jpg

InShot_20200305_133644033.jpg.aa8d0e1e7e5e9f7bd4d19c09a0cffdc9.jpg

My Otto Phlex profile should look something like this: A flex, 45 - 55g, High Launch with low loft setting or mid launch with standard loft setting. Torque is another factor that can be thrown into the debate ring as having any value. The AutoFlex from what I've read is around a 4.0 torque rating. I believe torque can be important with this experiment because we're really treading on the edge of making sure the shaft bends but doesn't twist. Too high of torque rating and you may be pushing things a little too far. 

DISCLAIMER 1: I realize that this is a subject that might rub some folks the wrong way.. namely those who've spent the $ and are completely bought into the Autoflex concept.. or those who've done the research, had a fitting, and are about to pull the trigger on one. I think that this topic fully encompasses the MGS spirit of debunking a pretty hyped up marketing claim and/or discussing alternatives that take all of the marketing hype out of the equation and stick to the hard facts. Does the concept actually work? Can I make an Otto Phlex shaft that performs similarly or better than the real thing while nixing the insane price tag by following the guidelines listed above? 

DISCLAIMER 2: just because I'm finding success with this at the moment, it doesn't mean that it's for everybody. This is definitely a concept that even I'm still working to wrap my head around after playing for 30 years. It definitely has a lot of allure and appeal so the best we can do is try it out, give it some time and formulate final conclusions when the data is adequate. 

Below are a few of the videos that influenced my journey (and a few others like @Samsonite, @blackngold_blood, @cnosil, @cksurfdude, @tommc23, (forgive me if I missed anyone else) down this Otto Phlex rabbit hole. We all started up in the thread discussing the new PXG 0311 Gen5 Driver and ended up directing most of our discussion towards this AutoFlex Hack project because it just worked in such harmonized synchrony with the Gen5 head. Below is the PXG Gen5 thread if you'd like to catch up on what lead to this topic. The top of about page 3 is where the discussion starts to go sideways and turn into AutoFlex hack project 😜

Here is the original review by MrShortgame of the Autoflex. Very supportive of the Autoflex performance benefits

Here are the colab videos by MrShortgage and MobileClubmaker. Both guys make great and very informative videos and they both know their stuff. 

Simon from SAS did something similar a while back.. He kind of rolls like me. He's all about getting the most out of a budget and still getting some really killer gear. 

Freddie Meikle Golf. I found this one as I was looking up more reviews for the PXG Gen 5 and it happened to be that he also stumbled upon the Otto Phlex 

After watching these videos about 10x each and saying "hey I can actually do that!", I tracked down a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB. In fact, it's the exact same spec of the shaft in the MrShortgame video. 40g 5.0 A flex. I sourced the shaft from a local OfferUp listing for a PXG Gen4 driver for sale. I reached out and offered the guy a straight trade for the Diamana S series that initially came with my Gen5 driver. Being that he was trying to sell his driver and I was able to gently convince him that an S flex might appeal to a broader audience, he was open for the trade. My fallback plan if all else fails is to plug in my trusty MotoreX and resell the experimental shafts and get on with my life. The only concern that I had was that the Evenflow played at 45" and I was convinced that it needed to be at least 46" for max results so I was already sourcing my shaft extension piece to have ready. Well eventually I discovered that 45" was absolutely perfect and that no extension was needed. I took the shaft back to the workshop, put it in the Gen5 and got the SW calculated to D0. Because of the higher balance point, I needed to add just a little more weight to the head. Luckily I was able to find a 10g PXG weight to replace one of the 7.5g weights and there we go.. I'm sitting right at D1.5.

0918222111.jpg.f250799100572234f05f85f12dd4c7d2.jpg

Now why is the SW so important with this build? Well this shaft isn't made for swing speeds over 100 MPH.. let alone the 110 - 115 that I'll be imparting on it. From my obsessive gathering of info, if you're able to keep the head weight to a minimum, and keep the swing weight optimal based on the desired shaft frequency (D1 lighter to D2 heavier), you should still be able to apply a max swing without any unwanted torsional head twisting. This is where the head can twist open or shut in addition to the shaft flexing the face up or down and then even more damaging is finding some odd variation in between where the face is flexed open or shut to some degree and then the face lofted or delofted to another degree and then who knows which direction the ball goes? Ultimately, the idea is to be able to put a hefty swing on the club and the ONLY reactional bending is the face increasing in loft, therefore assisting with an easier launch. Other variations are the actual club head itself. Every driver head is engineered for something specific. Luckily in my case, the PXG Gen5 seems to be a perfect mate for this experiment. It's naturally a lower spinning head and has a load of variable weight configurations. I have the 9* head option. 

Here are some standardized #'s from what I've seen with the MotoreX. I no longer have my membership with PGATSS (due to their recent 50% cost spike) so I'm just basing this off of memory from my last few sessions. (not 100%). As you can see though, the MotoreX works well for me. It's not an overly stiff profile. I'd say that it falls right where I need it to be between S+ and XS if I could give it my own classification. It's in the 65g weight class but actually closer to 70g than 65g. 

Launch - 10-12*
Ball Speed - 157 MPH (probably not accurate)
Swing Speed - 111
Carry 270
Spin 1900

Moment of Truth

I took the Project X Evenflow Riptide along with the MotoreX to the Foresight Monitors at an outdoor range. This way I can see true flight and get some basic #'s to help quantify what I'm seeing with my eyes. The only downside is that the balls they use are limited flight which supposedly cut the flight down by 20% and the monitors weren't showing club or ball speed and weren't showing Spin so I was kind of disappointed. The limited results that I did see however blew my socks off. I started off the session with about 20 hits from the MotoreX and saw a nice low-ish draw. The carry was about 250 with rollout to about 270+. Not bad considering the balls were limited flight. I did see my miss come into play a few times which is a hard pull hook. This happens when I'm not fully sync'd and I'm swinging with my arms, chasing the ball, and just flipping the face closed. My shot can quickly go from fairway to neighborhood finder on the wrong layout. 

As soon as I plugged in the "OttoPhlex1" (I'll get to that "1") I could immediately feel the difference but that's to be expected.. the difference however isn't what I was expecting at all. The club actually doesn't feel lighter by weight or Swing Weight. I think there's some kind of trickery about the D1 SW and overall lighter club. The club doesn't feel too light at all. In fact if feels perfect! The SW also doesn't feel like D1 but closer to my preferred D4-5. I'm sure it's more to do with physics than witchcraft but to a lay fool like me.. it's the devil at work! 🤣 JK. when I tee'd up my first ball, it was a high fowl ball to right field.. probably into the parking lot. weird.. OK this is a new sensation to me. At first impression I'm thinking, man this thing's too whippy and twisty. Well I buried that though and hit a few more. The more I hit, the more in sync I was getting and then the easier it became to just hit high towering baby draws. I'll say that the overall height at 9* was probably more than I wanted to see so I ended up cranking the loft down to 7.5 and just like old Bob Parsons himself would put it "KABOOM BABY".. ok I actually really hate PXG marketing but I guess it can have a time and place. You can read more about my thoughts on the Gen5 in the thread above.. but the overall feeling of it paired with the OttoPhlex1 is something else. The launch is effortless and even though I couldn't see the spin or ball speed #'s, I was getting about 15 yds more carry and rollout to about 290 - 300 yds. I went back and plugged the MotoreX in, bumped it back to 9° and then found myself struggling to get the ball in the air. A shaft that I've been familiar with for 2 years all of a sudden became a stranger to me. I had been so completely overtaken by the feeling, flight, and performance of the OttoPhlex1 that I'd completely forgot everything I knew about the MotoreX.. and that was just in 1 hitting session. 

So of course I go home all giddy happy but my silly brain just couldn't rest on 1 thing.. Just like the video with MrShortgame, the PX Evenflow Riptide didn't really feel how the Autoflex looks from videos. Those guys got some real 1/1 comparison and I don't know if I'll ever have that luxury. The shaft just felt like a really smooth, stable "Me" flex. Take the stigma of "# Flex" out of the equation. It isn't really whippy or overly explosive feeling but it just feels like a really nice, stable shaft to play that gave some great results and something that I could definitely game. So that night I went back to looking around for possibly another option that might land me a little closer to the Motore F3 like they used in the video. Looking at all of the comments, it's literally impossible to find that exact shaft anywhere and people were frustrated. Even the current MotoreX F3 is a tad pricy for an experiment. Off the top of my head I knew of a few light weight, low cost options that I could look into. I looked at the UST ProForce V2 in both the HL and standard version, the Aldila NXT GEN NVS Orange, and the classic Garafalloy Pro Launch Blue. All in A flex and ranging between 45 and 55g. Well I settled for the Garafalloy PL based on a very technical analysis of.. Aesthetics 😝. Now we have OttoPhlex2 in the mix. This and all of these are shafts that you can pick up at Golf Galaxy, PGATSS, or Golfworks for around $60, which is about the same price that AJ (Mobileclubmaker) paid for the OG Motore F3 and all seem to fit that general profile. I will add that I started out the GPLB at 46.5". The SW was just too much and I wasn't loving the length. So this is where I shortened it in .5" increments until I just found my glass slipper at 45". 

0925220749.jpg.1cc2be691971bf286a523ef632f62f75.jpg

0925220750.jpg.06c5af256a8b97475a213898625c31b4.jpg

I took this out to play a round on Saturday 9/24 and I tell you what.. Just like I was blown away by the improved results with the Evenflow Riptide, I was even more so impressed with the Garafalloy PLB. The round I played was on a tight community Exec course with very narrow fairways. I played the front 9 with the OttoPhlex1 and hit everything! then I played the back with OttoPhlex2 and not only did I hit everything but it was a noticeably longer and higher flight. Not feeling content with the limited amount of playing time during the round, I immediately took to the course driving range afterward to compare both shafts in a long drive battle. Same situation as the other range, they have limited flight balls. It's in a retirement community so the back wall of the range stops at about 290 from the matts and on the other side behind the back wall is a gigantic aluminum storage facility. When it's matts only, I haven't ever hit over the fence. When they push it to grass, and depending how far forward, and when you smash a good drive, you're rewarded with a loud PING when the ball hits the storage facility over the fence.. too many good drives, and the storage facility calls the golf course and you are kindly asked to put your driver away 😬. like I said, from the matts, that's that furthest point from the end of the range and I've never hit one over the fence. So I started the contest with the OttoPhlex1 (Riptide). I hit a lot of nice straight bombs that bounced to the wall but not over. When I put the OttoPhlex2 (GPLB) in, I was clearing the fence almost every 2 or 3 balls. Not only was I clearing the fence but I kept a directional point of a large tree at the back end of the range and everything was at or just outside of the tree. Luckily I finished the bucket and wasn't asked to leave 😛 Well for the finale, I took a used ball from my bag that I planned to retire to my backyard for chipping practice and tee'd it up. I didn't hit the side of the storage facility.. I landed it on the roof which had to be about 30' high and I wasn't rewarded with 1 PING.. but a series of pings as the ball bounced all the way across the rooftop🤯.

I've already made a short story very long but I had a chance to take both shafts to PGATSS to get some better #'s with the Garafalloy PLB. What I found just added to some of the crazy things that I've already seen with this club. Launch from a 7.5* head with little to no effort is right at about 14*. Club head speed 112+ without breaking a sweat. Spin.. 2000 - 2200 RPM. Carry distance an avg of 285 - 290 rolling out to around 315. Shots that I felt like I hit off the planet were just right or left of the green. I will add that I was using my game ball Maxfli Tour CG. 

I've got 1 more potential candidate that I would like to add to the mix and that's the UST ProForce V2 HL or regular V2. TBC

It's getting late. This is phase 1. I'll add some pics and continue more tomorrow. 

PLEASE feel free to start commenting or sharing any similar stories. I think this could be a really good topic for MGS to cover on their GolfScience channel. 

Cheers!

Now I’m thinking of trying it.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

9 minutes ago, Erin B said:

starwarsday.gif.18f3a0aa498a5797021f8d4079d75cad.gif

MAXFLI  Tour CG

16 minutes ago, Erin B said:

do-it.jpg.d22adf27f644fdb0efcccf739da676bd.jpg

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

26 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

starwarsday.gif.18f3a0aa498a5797021f8d4079d75cad.gif

Awesome!!! I am going to buy a couple shafts for my older Ping 425 LST. I like the Project X Evenflow and Graffaloy shafts so I might try some second hand golf stores. At worst, just order them on ebay. I just need to get to a scale to get to D-1---D-2. 🤔 I think I can make this work at Golf Galaxy or PGA SS. I'd love to see my hockey player try (er) do this!!!😉

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

I hit the ACCRA iSeries M2 again yesterday, and I have to say that thing may be a big winner.  So smooth, stable, and long.  I had to cut it short but intend to try again in the next couple days.  If it continues to perform that well - look out. 

•  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

31 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

do-it.jpg.d22adf27f644fdb0efcccf739da676bd.jpg

Now that brings back memories!!! My troops in the AF used to call me Emperer Palpatine!!!

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

7 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Awesome!!! I am going to buy a couple shafts for my older Ping 425 LST. I like the Project X Evenflow and Graffaloy shafts so I might try some second hand golf stores. At worst, just order them on ebay. I just need to get to a scale to get to D-1---D-2. 🤔 I think I can make this work at Golf Galaxy or PGA SS. I'd love to see my hockey player try (er) do this!!!😉

So this has been passed around a few times but it works really well as a backup. 

http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I may have accidentally tried this before without knowing it….

IMG_0318.jpeg.cb86f27d370c6c6b58cd896a8d5eeb76.jpeg

This picture is about 11 years ago, so I don’t remember if that was a regular flex or stiff. Judging by the bend in it I think it’s a regular flex shaft I was using. I think the club was my father-in-laws club because we were in LBI, NJ when this picture was taken.

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

12 minutes ago, IndyBonzo said:

I hit the ACCRA iSeries M2 again yesterday, and I have to say that thing may be a big winner.  So smooth, stable, and long.  I had to cut it short but intend to try again in the next couple days.  If it continues to perform that well - look out. 

Hey, Bonzo....which Accra did you have in the TM when we played?

As for my Otto Flex journey.....well, your Paradym OP shaft put me way, way, way, way right 🤣🤣🙈 I'm just not patient enough 🤷‍♂️

Edited by CudaKota66
add content

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

44 minutes ago, CudaKota66 said:

Hey, Bonzo....which Accra did you have in the TM when we played?

As for my Otto Flex journey.....well, your Paradym OP shaft put me way, way, way, way right 🤣🤣🙈 I'm just not patient enough 🤷‍♂️

I had a stiff shaft with me on Saturday when we played, not the OP shaft.  I hit the OP yesterday in the sim briefly.  Most of the issue is with my swing. Both are good shafts.  I believe you can hit the OP shaft.  Your swing is smooth enough.  One attempt is not enough!  We can try again. 

4 hours ago, Erin B said:

I may have accidentally tried this before without knowing it….

IMG_0318.jpeg.cb86f27d370c6c6b58cd896a8d5eeb76.jpeg

This picture is about 11 years ago, so I don’t remember if that was a regular flex or stiff. Judging by the bend in it I think it’s a regular flex shaft I was using. I think the club was my father-in-laws club because we were in LBI, NJ when this picture was taken.

1.) Were you playing at Sea Oaks (now known as LBI National) that day?

2.) Someone bears a strong resemblance to a certain Duffy Waldorf!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

7 hours ago, Erin B said:

I have the g425 lst head and have loved it with the OP. I have been testing the maltby mpf, but hit driver so poorly in the sim this winter I couldn’t get a good feel. The it mp5 is a great combo. I picked one of those up on clearance and it has been awesome. I will be interested too see how those two go for you.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

8 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

1.) Were you playing at Sea Oaks (now known as LBI National) that day?

2.) Someone bears a strong resemblance to a certain Duffy Waldorf!

I believe so

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

15 hours ago, azstu324 said:

So this has been passed around a few times but it works really well as a backup. 

http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm

Here are a few I keep bookmarked:

https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator
http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm (yes the same as above)
https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

The first one is nice as it gives you a good idea based on unassembled parts before you actually try and build the club.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

2 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Here are a few I keep bookmarked:

https://www.valuegolf.com/golf-club-swingweight-calculator
http://www.leaderboard.com/swingwt.htm (yes the same as above)
https://www.hirekogolf.com/golf-clubfitting-assembled-swingweight-calculator

The first one is nice as it gives you a good idea based on unassembled parts before you actually try and build the club.

There is also an iPhone app for swingweight calculation by Barford Golf that seems accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just arrived:  A new (to me) Accra FX 3.0 140 M2 (senior) shaft with TM tip to try as part of the Qi10 review.  I have had great success with the M0 with my Paradym, and hope that will replicate with the M2.  The Accra iSeries M2 has also worked really well in the Qi10, but not as well as the FX shaft has with the Paradym.  I think the key difference may be the low spinning head as compared to the "standard" Qi10, and not the different shafts, but this should confirm whether that is true or not.

I do recommend the Accra iSeries M2 as an Otto-Phlex shaft.  It has been the best performer for me in the Qi10.

If the FX 3.0 M2 does not work out with the Qi10, I figure I can trim it and use it in my 3W for a similar feeling Otto-Phlex there when paired with the Paradym.  

I am pumped to try this out on the course tomorrow.

I just recently purchased a G430 Max 10k 9° head so I am going to part with at least one of my Otto Phlex setups.  If anyone wants a complete Otto Phlex driver, I am going to part with my PXG Gen 5 0311XF 9° driver with GPLB 45 in senior flex.  If interested, please message me for pictures and details.  

I plan on using my UST MP5 in ladies flex in the new Ping head.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter