Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

Sounds promising for a start. 

The 6 dot is weighing in at 70...  I have been looking at going heavier on the shaft side and doing some homework on it.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

11 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Here we go with another review! 

I will be taking a bit of a longer term approach with this because it is winter and while I could golf... it's is cold. Too cold. 

Quick intro - My name is Jamie. I am part of the Forum staff and spend way too much time here on the forum. However I would have it no other way. My bag is often a revolving door of clubs, shafts, grips and more. Recently I was afforded the opportunity to review the Newton Driver shafts which I will be going over today!

I received the 5 dot and 6 dot for testing... although I only ordered the 5 dot. The 6 dot was a nice surprise. 

First Impression

There is no denying this golf shaft stands out (more photos to come soon). It changes color depending on the angle, has minimal graphics and just looks really sharp! I am truly impressed and love the unique purple and green color. The best part is at address it has a dark look and it isn't bright or distracting at all! This is fantastic and makes it even more playable. 

The grip is a Lamkin stock grip which normally I would love, however this one is firm and well has a red cap... doesn't match at all so I will be changing this out soon. 

I am currently playing a Graphite Design ADDI 6X in my Paradym Triple Diamond. I love this combo and driver. It has been a beast off the tee and has really found a home in my bag. However the promise of a more stable shaft, more fairways hit and more consistency with a little extra power and distance from the Newton shaft was too good to pass up. 

The big question is will it live up to the hype?

Not to spoil anything, but the answer to that question is quite possibly! 

When holding just the shafts (GD and Newton 5 dot) the Newton definitely felt heavier. Heavier in the tip at least. Where the GD felt a bit heavier in the hand. Not bad heavy, but heavier. For reference the GD is also tipped a half inch short. 

First swings felt good too, however again it did feel heavier. Not a bad heavy, stable, solid and consistent heavy. There didn't seem to be much whip or "kick" in the shaft, but I could have a good feeling of where it was throughout and stability through impact. However spin was up and strikes were a little all over. 

I am a 260 carry player. I can get the ball out there good when I need to and feel like a good driver of the golf ball as a whole. I ended up having to loft the driver down to 8 degrees to help with spin and with that sorted got a bit more carry, but still was a bit all over the face. So the next step was choking up a bit... well that made a world of a difference. I will without question be tipping the shaft a bit and then getting back to it. Because once I choked up that little bit I started finding the center... over ... and over... and over and over. It was really cool. However the weight did get to me by the end and I started to loose some speed and accuracy. Now this is off season and I am not in golf shape so to speak. 

The 6 dot simply was too heavy. It is great, does not feel too stiff or boardy or stout, but just solid. However 70 grams is simply too much for me and maybe down the road I will give it another go. 

For now I am going to continue trying, testing and playing, but I think there is some good vibes with this shaft. I was able to get my speed up to 109 mph and just crushed a bunch of drives. Good shaping and consistent flights. Now is it that much better than the GD? TBD... it will be a contender, but more time is needed!

Unforutnately both systems I was on I didn't trust 1000% because I got some weird reads that felt way off so I am holding off on some of the firm data points for now. 

Very interested to hear more on this shaft. Great feedback so far!

Play like a champion today!

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I will be taking a bit of a longer term approach with this because it is winter and while I could golf... it's is cold. Too cold. 

Quick intro - My name is Jamie. I am part of the Forum staff and spend way too much time here on the forum. However I would have it no other way. My bag is often a revolving door of clubs, shafts, grips and more. Recently I was afforded the opportunity to review the Newton Driver shafts which I will be going over today!

I received the 5 dot and 6 dot for testing... although I only ordered the 5 dot. The 6 dot was a nice surprise. 

First Impression

There is no denying this golf shaft stands out (more photos to come soon). It changes color depending on the angle, has minimal graphics and just looks really sharp! I am truly impressed and love the unique purple and green color. The best part is at address it has a dark look and it isn't bright or distracting at all! This is fantastic and makes it even more playable. 

The grip is a Lamkin stock grip which normally I would love, however this one is firm and well has a red cap... doesn't match at all so I will be changing this out soon. 

I am currently playing a Graphite Design ADDI 6X in my Paradym Triple Diamond. I love this combo and driver. It has been a beast off the tee and has really found a home in my bag. However the promise of a more stable shaft, more fairways hit and more consistency with a little extra power and distance from the Newton shaft was too good to pass up. 

When holding just the shafts (GD and Newton 5 dot) the Newton definitely felt heavier. Heavier in the tip at least. Where the GD felt a bit heavier in the hand. Not bad heavy, but heavier. For reference the GD is also tipped a half inch short. 

First swings felt good too, however again it did feel heavier. Not a bad heavy, stable, solid and consistent heavy. There didn't seem to be much whip or "kick" in the shaft, but I could have a good feeling of where it was throughout and stability through impact. However spin was up and strikes were a little all over. 

I am a 260 carry player. I can get the ball out there good when I need to and feel like a good driver of the golf ball as a whole. I ended up having to loft the driver down to 8 degrees to help with spin and with that sorted got a bit more carry, but still was a bit all over the face. So the next step was choking up a bit... well that made a world of a difference. I will without question be tipping the shaft a bit and then getting back to it. Because once I choked up that little bit I started finding the center... over ... and over... and over and over. It was really cool. However the weight did get to me by the end and I started to loose some speed and accuracy. Now this is off season and I am not in golf shape so to speak. 

The 6 dot simply was too heavy. It is great, does not feel too stiff or boardy or stout, but just solid. However 70 grams is simply too much for me and maybe down the road I will give it another go. 

For now I am going to continue trying, testing and playing, but I think there is some good vibes with this shaft. I was able to get my speed up to 109 mph and just crushed a bunch of drives. Good shaping and consistent flights. Now is it that much better than the GD? TBD... it will be a contender, but more time is needed!

Unforutnately both systems I was on I didn't trust 1000% because I got some weird reads that felt way off so I am holding off on some of the firm data points for now. 

Is the dot system indicative of their weight as well as their stiffness?

Great review overall as it’s got me intrigued about these shafts. I’ve done little homework to fully grasp who these are meant for or if they are aimed at a specific player at all. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

14 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Is the dot system indicative of their weight as well as their stiffness?

Great review overall as it’s got me intrigued about these shafts. I’ve done little homework to fully grasp who these are meant for or if they are aimed at a specific player at all. 

Basically they don't want preconceived notions for flex and a player playing whatever flex ... They feel many can fit into a variety of flexes due to its construction.

Maybe a A flex actually finds a 3 dot better. In any case flexes are so scewed because there's no standard that this is why they can come out with their own system and it not be too wild.

Both shafts felt good. Not a ton of kick, no whip and good stability for strikes all over. 

Once I get the 5 dot spec'd out a little better I think I will have something worth using for at least a while.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Basically they don't want preconceived notions for flex and a player playing whatever flex ... They feel many can fit into a variety of flexes due to its construction.

Maybe a A flex actually finds a 3 dot better. In any case flexes are so scewed because there's no standard that this is why they can come out with their own system and it not be too wild.

Both shafts felt good. Not a ton of kick, no whip and good stability for strikes all over. 

Once I get the 5 dot spec'd out a little better I think I will have something worth using for at least a while.

Would the 4 dot be too soft? I believe it is a 60 gram.

Edited by Javs

17 minutes ago, Javs said:

Would the 4 dot be too soft? I believe it is a 60 gram.

That's a good question and I may actually see if I can swap the 6 out for a 4. I think it could be a great fit.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That's a good question and I may actually see if I can swap the 6 out for a 4. I think it could be a great fit.

That’s what I was thinking. The 6 dot seems like tour level. I think us mere mortals would probably fit better into the 4 or possibly 5 dot. 

4 minutes ago, Javs said:

That’s what I was thinking. The 6 dot seems like tour level. I think us mere mortals would probably fit better into the 4 or possibly 5 dot. 

You said you went to 8 degrees and choke down on club. Ever think of shortening the shaft?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

That's the thing I liked about the 6 tho. While it felt heavy it didn't feel boardy or rigid. Still have a smooth balanced feel... Just not for my noodle arms haha

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, billpierce said:

You said you went to 8 degrees and choke down on club. Ever think of shortening the shaft?

Yeah when I mentioned tipping that's what I was getting at. Take a half inch off to make it the same as my GD in terms of length 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

That's the thing I liked about the 6 tho. While it felt heavy it didn't feel boardy or rigid. Still have a smooth balanced feel... Just not for my noodle arms haha

I like a 60 to 65 gram driver shaft as well

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

First Impression

I’m eager to hear about the 5 dot. Was thinking of ordering it. I’m in the Jupiter right now. I like it. It’s definitely better than stock, and I dropped from Xstiff in stock to stiff in Jupiter. Jupiter seems like a stiff +. Anyway let us know how the 5 dot feels. My numbers are similar to yours so I’m tuned in to your review.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

It's interesting to look at the torque on these shafts.  @GolfSpy_APH, you mentioned the 6 dot doesn't feel boardy and that may be a big reason why.  

Newton.png.84e381c64694d7c8a8e41502a20af531.png

The 3.7 is like the torque of the Ventus Blue 5 Reg Flex

Newton1.png.c359a5c7670c33ce472ff37176a2b722.png

I will definitely be following along on this test.

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

It's interesting to look at the torque on these shafts.  @GolfSpy_APH, you mentioned the 6 dot doesn't feel boardy and that may be a big reason why.  

Newton.png.84e381c64694d7c8a8e41502a20af531.png

Newton1.png.c359a5c7670c33ce472ff37176a2b722.png

I will definitely be following along on this test.

I noticed the same point you articulated. I tend to play shafts that are 60 to 65 grams and between 3.3 to 3.5 torque. I prefer a stiffer tip. I also use a counter balance shaft usually in my driver and three wood. 

1 minute ago, Javs said:

I noticed the same point you articulated. I tend to play shafts that are 60 to 65 grams and between 3.3 to 3.5 torque. I prefer a stiffer tip. I also use a counter balance shaft usually in my driver and three wood. 

What would be interesting to know is let's say you had a 4 dot and tipped it 1/2in, 

1. is that even recommended or is it a butt trim only shaft

2. if you are able to, would it change the torque enough to make it more stiff at the tip to make it in between the 4 and 5.  

I know the TPT shafts are like that.  I haven't done a true fitting for them yet, but the online suggest a 17h tipped 1in for my "swing type" which when reading takes it in between the 16 and 17

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

What would be interesting to know is let's say you had a 4 dot and tipped it 1/2in, 

1. is that even recommended or is it a butt trim only shaft

2. if you are able to, would it change the torque enough to make it more stiff at the tip to make it in between the 4 and 5.  

I know the TPT shafts are like that.  I haven't done a true fitting for them yet, but the online suggest a 17h tipped 1in for my "swing type" which when reading takes it in between the 16 and 17

Great question. I don’t know enough about this shaft yet. I do know that tipping a shaft will make it feel stiffer. However, it won’t necessarily make it launch lower or spin less. It would be interesting to see if tipping a 4 dot would alter any performance. 

29 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Are the torque values measured the same way?  Multiple ways to measure a shafts torque.   Another non standard measure in the golf industry.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Are the torque values measured the same way?  Multiple ways to measure a shafts torque.   Another non standard measure in the golf industry.

That I couldn't tell you.  Not much on the Newton shafts.  All I know is that torque is supposed to help with the board feel.  

25 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

All I know is that torque is supposed to help with the board feel.  

Yep, Torque is simply about feel in general. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

This is a shaft that I have been trying to dig in to since I saw it pop up in my news feed saying they were coming out with a shaft.

I know headquarters said a few things about it but there isn't much on it and the theory or claims are interesting. 

It's a test I plan to follow and possibly try out. 

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yes and no, torque is a major component in how a shaft feels, much more than flex. Torque can make a huge difference. Those that tend to hook or swing very aggressive need lower torque is the myth, but torque does affect club twisting. Getting torque correct is as important as flex. Here is an article that supports:

https://mygolfspy.com/labs/mygolfspy-labs-shaft-torque/

Edited by Javs

6 minutes ago, Javs said:

Those that tend to hook or swing very aggressive need lower torque. Here is an article that supports:

https://mygolfspy.com/labs/mygolfspy-labs-shaft-torque/

The article says that both of those are general conventions and really aren't necessarily true.  Images from the article:

torque-5.gif

torque-6.gif

Edited by cnosil

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The article says that both of those are general conventions and really aren't necessarily true.  Images from the article:

torque-5.gif

torque-6.gif

I edited my original post as I hit save before I was done. My edited version supports what the article says that you have pointed out. I will say that as a zero handicap that swings aggressive the torque of the shaft matters a great deal to me.

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I have another little update for this. 

The crew at SP asked for my feedback and I sent them this link along with my general feelings. I asked where to tip it or where Aki recommended to tip it given what I was seeing and feeling. He said to tip from the butt end which is what I will do. 

However interestingly when I gave them the numbers they still said 5 dot is where I should fit into (I referenced this but I used both a FlightScope system and Full Swing) They were both very different and I will reserve some judgement. Anyway swing speed, AOA, launch and spin were similar... just direction was entertaining to see on one of them. 

After the feedback I got an email back mentioning the weight was something they had others have feedback on they were making a batch of prototypes which are lighter and he would send out one to test and try. I think the 5 dot trimmed a bit will be solid for me. May take off a gram or two, but also changing the grip may be a little nicer as well. 

The point is I am very impressed that the feedback in part which I have given is effecting some level or change or coinciding with what others have felt and the changes will hopefully be for the better of the product. 

All the Newton shafts are made locally in the US so they can make these tweaks and changes without much difficulty... again something I find really cool!

I will try to get some better photos today to share. 

I like seeing them take feedback and making changes. 

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

I like seeing them take feedback and making changes. 

It's one of the benefits of being a smaller company.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

It's one of the benefits of being a smaller company.

Absolutely!

On the 6 dot, did you see slower SS or just that after a number of swings back to back was just too heavy. 

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

Absolutely!

On the 6 dot, did you see slower SS or just that after a number of swings back to back was just too heavy. 

About the same, but definitely more effort. Then back to back I it just felt more tiring.

I'm not a big guy and consider myself average build at 6 foot 160 lbs. I know how to create speed and can. However I prefer to keep things smooth which means the 6 dot just didn't see the same results.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW