Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2023 Mizuno S23 Wedge Launch

GolfSpy_APH

image.png

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-s23-wedges/

image.png
I am so freaking excited for these! Maybe the club I am more excited about than any other that has released this month.   Be sure to check out the blog link HERE if you already haven't. If you have what do you think of these wedges? Which finish do you prefer? Let us know in the thread below!

ENGINEERED FOR SPIN – MIZUNO’S NEW S23 WEDGES
SHOWCASE CENTRALISED SWEET SPOT FOR

EXCEPTIONAL CONTROL

Comprehensively engineered for extreme backspin, Mizuno’s S23 wedges combine the
precision and playing profile of a player’s bladed wedge with the aggressive performance
of a toe-weighted design.
Japanese manufacturer Mizuno is constantly striving to offer the best products to customers,
blending classic design with the latest in technical innovation. The S23 wedges provide a perfect
demonstration of that fusion.
The S23 wedges showcase a shorter hosel and a heel-orientated cavity allowing greater mass to
be pushed towards the toe. This creates a centred sweet spot, as opposed to a heel-side
location in conventional wedges. The centred sweet spot contributes to longer impact time, less
head deflection and higher spin from both full and partial shots. And all those benefits are
delivered with the unmistakable feel of a Mizuno one-piece Grain Flow Forging.
“That check and spin you see from the pros isn’t purely because of newer grooves – most of us
don’t have the consistency of strike to get that kind of action,” says David Llewellyn, Director of
R&D for Mizuno. “For the vast majority, a centralised sweet spot makes it much easier to find
and get that repetitive action.”  
S23 wedges are One-piece Grain Flow Forged HD at Mizuno’s iconic facility in Hiroshima Japan
– where Mizuno irons have been produced since 1968. They have a Tour-ready design with a
player’s preferred, versatile look at address. But, with weight pushed to the toe, a partial heel
cavity and short hosel they offer a centralised sweet spot delivering a more consistent strike and
reliable high-spin numbers.

image.png

MizunoGolf.com

The wedges offer a loft-specific profile with stronger lofts featuring a tear-drop straight edge,
flowing into a more rounded lob wedge, with grinds to suit throughout.

The precise grooves in the S23 wedges are quad cut milled and loft specific, cut into Boron
infused 1025 mild carbon steel for a longer effective lifespan. In addition, Mizuno’s HydroFlow
Micro Grooves are laser etched to release moisture and reduce spin drop off in wet conditions.
The S23 wedges come in either a white satin brush chrome or copper cobalt finish to suit
individual visual preferences.
“The S23 is one of those surprise products that wasn’t meant for the tour – but breaks its own
way through,” says Jeff Cook of PGA Tour Operations. “Take away the absolute world-class
short game players, and we’re left with many pros who get better spin control from the
centralised sweet spot.”

image.png
Mizuno’s S23 wedges will be available at retail from February 2023. For further information on
Mizuno’s full range of golf equipment, apparel and accessories visit: MizunoGolf.com
#reachbeyond #nothingfeelslikeamizuno

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

So for those of you interested in new wedges where do these stack up? 

As a Ping Glide user these are my number 1 priority for looking at testing to replace my 58. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Visually these aren't really doing anything for me.  I think the price point is great though, and if I end up looking to replace wedges this year I'll give them a try.  The top line looks a little chunky (could just be the photo) but if it looks good down at the ball and performs well I'd still consider them.  

I think they will have a steep uphill battle versus something like a Vokey or even the glide 4.0 for me.  For someone who wants a friendlier package, I can see this being very competitive with the Cleveland CBX2 line.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered a set (48/10, 54/10, and 58/08) myself. The Copper Cobalt looks really good, but I’m a sucker for chrome, so opted for Satin Chrome finish and think they will blend a bit more seamlessly with my JPX 923 HMP set. I’m normally a blade wedge player (currently gaming Vokeys), but these really have me intrigued especially with the CG location in the middle + added forgiveness. I also tend to have my misses on the toe, so curious how these are going to fair on my mishits vs. Vokeys. Also am a bit pleasantly surprised by the price point here at $160/wedge, where most OEMs are now around the $180 price point. Especially with a wedge that is Japanese forged packed with tech and forgiveness. I recalled the ES21s came out at $199/wedge. Assuming, ES21 didn’t do quite well in sales vs. competitors and Mizuno had to price these down to undercut their competition. 

I like a technology angle that isn't purely marketing. I, like @MikeE21, tend to have a wear pattern more towards the toe on my wedges, especially my 54* and 58*. I think this is due to opening the face and, due to past trauma, guarding against the sh*&k. To me, the only really "modernizing" of wedges we have had is more customization via grinds, bounce and shafts. Then also, adding full face grooves (which I still want to try) and, I guess, have different cavity shapes on the back of wedges. There is some possibility of help with milling and finish and grooves but I think *most* of that is marketing or such a small difference I will not see it. 

All that is to say, I think this ability to move weight is the current frontier in golf. Edel does the most interesting stuff currently whereby you can MOVE the weight yourself but this Mizuno angle, I think, solves the problem that I have without charging the high cost edel does....albeit at the sacrifice of being able to move the weight myself should my miss or tendency change. 

One stupid thought I had was, if the wedge helps you correct for toe side misses (really just talking about full swing here) somewhat by moving the sweet spot essentially, does that put you at a disadvantage with all your other clubs? Or is this problem so pronounced in a wedge that it won't have as big a bearing on your irons? 

Also, I left out a much cheaper option that may do some of the same tech heavy lifting that this wedge is doing. I would be interested in testing the mizuno offering vs the Maltby MAX milled wedge which has toe weighting and a cavity. I could built the maltby wedge for about $70 new I think?

image.png.a28b520bf69b26e28217cc87e8d430c2.png

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

• 1 month later...

I hit the 58-8 C grind on Tuesday and really liked the club. Stock shaft was a KBS and normally I am not much of a fan of KBS shafts, but in this case the shaft and club felt good. Slightly heavier than my RTX Zipcore 58-12 F grind, but not a huge amount. I hit it well and it seemed to spin well and fly further than my Zipcore. I may take a deeper look in the future at the 50-8. Cleveland seems to have a few more options for bounce than Mizuno.

• 1 month later...

I went to PGASS last Saturday and got 54° CBX Zipcore. I had seen the S23 on the rack, but I admit I didn't know much about the S product line. I just wanted something forgiving, and the CBX is the top dog in the category. The thought of trying to figure out grinds and bounce give me a coronary, so the CBX made sense as well, because the only option is to pick the degree. Once I got home and set the CBX side by side with my 921 JPX HM, I instantly regretted my purchase. The CBX just looked so massive at address in comparison, even though in reality there isn't much. It was such a different look. I did some more research and decided to go back last night and hit the S-23. It was like a flawless transition from my JPX GW and the copper cobalt looks so beautiful in person. It just makes me smile at address. The performance was top notch as well. The club was lighter than the CBX, and felt just a tad heavier than my set GW. Needless to say, I returned the CBX, and walked out with a 54/10 S grind and a 58/12 D grind in copper cobalt. My only concern is that from internets research, I thought I would want a 54/12 and a 58/10, but that's not a possible combination in the S23. Overall, I'm really happy to get away from my old MD4s, and looking forward to improving my short game this season with something that is more forgiving! 

• Ping 425 Max 9* | Ping Tour 65 S
  • Ping 425 Max 3w+5w | Ping Tour 75 S
  • Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 4i-GW | Nippon NS Pro 950GH NEO S
  • Mizuno S23 54/10S + 58/12D | KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 W
  • Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang
  • Maxfli Tour X | Bridgestone e12 Contact
  • Ogio Alpha 14 | Clicgear 4.0
  • Arccos | Apple Watch Ultra

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/7/2023 at 12:32 PM, MikeE21 said:

I just ordered a set (48/10, 54/10, and 58/08) myself. The Copper Cobalt looks really good, but I’m a sucker for chrome, so opted for Satin Chrome finish and think they will blend a bit more seamlessly with my JPX 923 HMP set. I’m normally a blade wedge player (currently gaming Vokeys), but these really have me intrigued especially with the CG location in the middle + added forgiveness. I also tend to have my misses on the toe, so curious how these are going to fair on my mishits vs. Vokeys. Also am a bit pleasantly surprised by the price point here at $160/wedge, where most OEMs are now around the $180 price point. Especially with a wedge that is Japanese forged packed with tech and forgiveness. I recalled the ES21s came out at $199/wedge. Assuming, ES21 didn’t do quite well in sales vs. competitors and Mizuno had to price these down to undercut their competition. 

I’m very curious how these have worked for you and if you feel they have blended well with your HMP’s?  I’ve just completed the iron portion of my fitting and plan to get the 923 HM’s with the Recoil 460 ESX F3 shaft.  The set can be purchased with 42.5* PW, 48* GW and 54* SW. 

I was hoping for a narrower gapping and was looking for a 52* GW and a SW that is 56*.  The only way to achieve this is to have the set wedges bent as they only manufacture at the previously mentioned lofts. 

Alternatively, I could purchase the set PW and then have do decide if I purchase the set 48* GW (or S23) then a 52* S23 and 56* S23.  I would use all for full and partial swing shots.  The nice thing is I can buy with the same Recoil ESX 460 F3 shaft.  Have you found the wedges to seamlessly blend with your set clubs?  Any issues or disappointments?

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

OH BOY! This is exciting - they stand a good chance of replacing my SM9s and potentially even my 3.0 Eye 2LW ,...........OH WAIT - they're only available in right hand orientation! Really Mizuno??????  🤬

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

OH BOY! This is exciting - they stand a good chance of replacing my SM9s and potentially even my 3.0 Eye 2LW ,...........OH WAIT - they're only available in right hand orientation! Really Mizuno??????  🤬

Mizuno website wedge spec page indicates quite a few options for LH.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/s-series/s23-wedges/

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

32 minutes ago, GaryF said:

Mizuno website wedge spec page indicates quite a few options for LH.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/s-series/s23-wedges/

S23 specs only show RH

image.png.a0efa4240a90791aa7dbe5a4c47a6402.png

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

54 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

S23 specs only show RH

image.png.a0efa4240a90791aa7dbe5a4c47a6402.png

6C58ED5B-E5B5-4E3E-92BE-E415A3D47174.png

Thx guys, I hadn't looked at the Copper wedges. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I am trying to find these locally to try the S23 vs the T22, kind of different animals but maybe not so far apart.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

On 5/20/2023 at 10:40 AM, JC1959 said:

I am trying to find these locally to try the S23 vs the T22, kind of different animals but maybe not so far apart.

Would be interested in what you find out about them. Last week after completing the iron portion of my fitting, I ordered the JPX’s 6-GW, hoping to then get them and figure out my yardages on both ends and pick up something like 52* and 56* S23’s.  However, there is a 4-5 week back order on all their clubs so kind of in a holding pattern.  My understanding is the S23 is a bit more forgiving.

I have not had a chance to go looking yet, but I am leaning towards the S23 and like you I would love to custom order them with the shaft I would like but the Mizuno shipping nightmare is just crazy. 

The JPX 923 tour are fantastic and I really like the PX IO 6.0 shafts which is a surprise as I have played graphite for years. I put the Sting stopper foam inserts in and use Winn dri tac 2.0 oversize grips, so far in two rounds no hand or wrist pain. If I can find the grind I want in the PGA SS or Edwinn watts I will just have to reshaft with the PX IO 6.5 wedge shafts, it's an added step but the only way to get what I want and I enjoy doing the club work. 

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

6 hours ago, JC1959 said:

I have not had a chance to go looking yet, but I am leaning towards the S23 and like you I would love to custom order them with the shaft I would like but the Mizuno shipping nightmare is just crazy. 

The JPX 923 tour are fantastic and I really like the PX IO 6.0 shafts which is a surprise as I have played graphite for years. I put the Sting stopper foam inserts in and use Winn dri tac 2.0 oversize grips, so far in two rounds no hand or wrist pain. If I can find the grind I want in the PGA SS or Edwinn watts I will just have to reshaft with the PX IO 6.5 wedge shafts, it's an added step but the only way to get what I want and I enjoy doing the club work. 

If you order with the idea of changing shafts, I saw on tgw.com yesterday they list how many they have in stock once you input the basic specs. 

I think this may be one of the most underrated wedge releases in a while. Very very good.

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

17 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

I think this may be one of the most underrated wedge releases in a while. Very very good.

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

Entirely agree. Absolutely thrilled with mine.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 6 months later...

I am replacing my 0311 Forged wedges and the new set is going to have to blend with my new Forged Tec X 5-GW irons.  I did a wedge specific fitting a week or two ago and weeded out MG4, SM9 and Glide 4.0. The T24 was the surpise (to the fitter - not me) star of the show.  They did not have any S23 demos - so they got on the phone with Mizuno and ordered a pair.  Should be here Monday - and I will put the T24 and S23s head to head both on Trackman indoors and in real grass/sand outside.  54D and 58C.

• 4 weeks later...

Got mine and have to say that I am very impressed.  They feel fantastic and I love the way the ball comes off the face.  Yardages are great and I am hoping to get some more numbers to see what the spin is like and to see just how well they are flying.

WIMyB

Nike Vapor Fly driver 

Nike Covert Tour 3Wood

Titleist 913 5Wood

Titleist 915 7Wood

Mizuno MP-64 4i-PW

Mizuno T-4 50 and 54 Wedges

Callaway Mack Daddy forged 58

Odyssey Stroke Labs Double Wide