Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

BOA vs. LACES

RTH1

I am into year 3-4 on a few pair of Adidas Tour 360 EQT's BOA, I love them, holding up just fine, I don't see myself going back to laces.

Taylormade Stealth 10.5

Taylormade Stealth 5W, & 7W

Tour Exotics 2 Hybrid

Mizuno Hot Metal JPX923 5-Gap

Callaway Jaws 56* Wedge

Scotty Futura 5S

3 hours ago, kovek said:

Elastic laces!! I couldn't be happier with them. They're actually very cheap (around $1-5 each pair depending on quality), they work on any type of shoes and can be adjusted as you want.

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 12.02.44.png

I've done these on both of my other lace up pairs. It really is the next best thing to the BOA. 

I've also put these on ALL of my Vans and running shoes. They're awesome! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

34 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Like most here..once you go BOA you never go back! I'm a Puma shoe fan so I've been using their DISC version for the past few years. I have a few pairs that I rotate. 

Happy accident story: one weekend I washed all of my shoes in the washer (OK to do). I then put the first pair in the microwave on low to help dry (NOT ok to do with BOA (perfectly fine with regular laces)). The metal cables in the laces ended up sparking up and melting the plastic coating.. basically destroying the BOA system 🤦🏼‍♂️.. complete McFly moment. I was so mad at myself for ruining a nearly new pair. So then I took to the interwebs looking for tutorials on how to replace the laces and disassemble the DISC system. That was easy.. but finding a new set of BOA laces was proving to be tricky. 

Short story long, my wife has some thick fishing line for some craft stuff. I wanna say 80 or 100 lb test. This stuff worked marvelously! It's very strong, obviously water proof, and even has a little bit of elasticity for better comfort. In fact it's worked so well that I replaced the cables in my other shoes. So far 2 seasons with no issues. 

Just a good DIY hack if anybody needs to replace theirs and needs something that's easily available. They do sell black fishing line too. 

20240306_065510.jpg.684cb4ab405105516e4270a1ac9ccae1.jpg

How easy was it to re-wind into the ratchet?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

19 minutes ago, RanMan said:

Why is it that only golfers are unable to tie their shoes?  No other sport, okay skiers, use a no tie system. Are golfers incapable, lazy or just can’t tie their shoes. I don’t think so. Give us laces we can do it.

I think it just boils down to being able to adjust on the go. There are so many different elements that golfers deal with throughout a round. Here in AZ I won't go a round without getting some pebbles, sand, wood chips, etc trapped in my shoes. Many times I've literally been at the ball about to hit, took off my shoe, dumped a pile of sand/rocks out , slid the shoe back on, ratcheted back up and carried on.. in about 3 seconds. Try to do that with laces. Not to mention, it's really nice to just undo the system and keep the laces loose before and after the round. 

So if you want to call convenience, comfort, and efficiency "lazy".. then I'll gladly wear that lazy hat. 😁

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

8 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

How easy was it to re-wind into the ratchet?

It was cake. You just need to cut the laces to the same length. Once inserted, they are kind of pinched into place to prevent from slipping. 

So far they work just like the originals 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I was considering the BOA type shoes recently but I have arthritis in both thumbs (one surgically repaired) so I was a little leery of always tightening and the wire breaking.  From the above contributors, it looks like they really hold up well.  Anyone with thumb problems using the BOAs? Thanks.

Best book on golf, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella

Alot of our courses here have steep inclines around the greens. My only concern is longevity with too much pressure on the cord and the cloth loops. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Philly Ray said:

I was considering the BOA type shoes recently but I have arthritis in both thumbs (one surgically repaired) so I was a little leery of always tightening and the wire breaking.  From the above contributors, it looks like they really hold up well.  Anyone with thumb problems using the BOAs? Thanks.

I don't have arthritis or thumb problems but my dad does pretty badly. He uses the same shoes and just rolls the side of his hand along the knob and it works great. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

4 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Alot of our courses here have steep inclines around the greens. My only concern is longevity with too much pressure on the cord and the cloth loops. 

I have worn out the bottom of two pair of spike less Ecco shoes with the BOM and no issues with the cable used to tighten the shoe. The loops never showed signs of wear. Occasionally I would have to rinse the dust out of the button if I played a particularly bad round and ended up in the desert more often than I would like. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I prefer BOA over laces any day! They are easy to use and tighten uniformly every time. I never have an issue with shoes with these as the lacing / tightening system. Love them!

TaylorMade Rocket Balz Tour 1,3

Ping Hybrid 4

Ping Irons 4-W

Cleveland Wedges 50, 54, 58

TaylorMade Ghost Blade Putter

I have both FootJoy and Adidas shoes with BOA.  I love them and will try to buy BOA shoes in the future.  They provide a great fit and wear better than laced shoes.  BOA shoes definitely hold their form better over time than laced shoes.

D and3wd - Cleveland Black

# and 4 hybrid - Adams Blue

5-Gw - PXG Gen 4

Putter - TaylorMade Spider S

I’ve had two pair of FJs with BOA for over three years now. I’ve never had an issue with either pair, and love that they’re easy to use and stay snug. 

I will only consider discounted shoes with BOA laces now. I’m completely sold!

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I have some and to those who say they are looking for shoes that come with them you can buy them on Amazon, they are the elasticized laces with a snap closure, not the ones with a tuning knob, you simply pull on the laces and lock them in place, and replace your laces with them.  Love mine, going to buy more for my runners and golf shoes, (4 pairs and counting, 2 spikeless, 1 spiked and 1 waterproof, LOL).  https://www.amazon.ca/LOCK-LACES-Elastic-Shoelaces-48-Inch/dp/B007DLVLAW?pd_rd_w=SL1y7&content-id=amzn1.sym.5227a24c-8e93-45c4-815c-d02346cda8bb&pf_rd_p=5227a24c-8e93-45c4-815c-d02346cda8bb&pf_rd_r=Y3FT5FKA3Q4CH4JZ7091&pd_rd_wg=or2W5&pd_rd_r=5b19253d-fc09-47f0-bd0c-ece369f792ac&pd_rd_i=B007DLVLAW&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_4_i

Edited by Kirk58

Let's play another 18.  Kirk58

I'm skeptical on BOA's for golf shoes. I have fly fished for almost 3 decades, and I recently went back to Laces on my wading boots. The BOA's internal components would get full of dirt, some rusted, and others became extremely hard to undo. The Other part with BOA's is that there is no give. So once you tighten them, they remain tight with no flexibility, so the shoes would get painful to walk in after a period of time. 

Looking at everyone's responses I may need to make another effect for the BOA system. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

I have both in my rotation of FJ shoes.  My BOAs are probably five years old and are holding up real well.  Of course the BOA apparatus is guaranteed for life. I like the position on the heal on the FootJoy shoes and so easy to operate.  A nice tight fit.  FJ is the only manufacturer that has the BOA on the heel.  Recommend them.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I had a pair of Ecco with BOA and didn't particularly like them because I could not get the forefoot tight enough for my liking.  I wear spikeless shoes and wear them out about every year to 1-1/2 years.  I have had lace Ecco that were excellent.

After the Ecco wore out I bought 2 pair of Adidas Code Chaos 22, one with laces and one with Boa.  Totally different from the Ecco.  I am able to get the exact tightness that I want, all the way through the forefoot.  I actually prefer the Boa pair over the one with laces with this model.

Heck yeah, if Adidas has a close-out sale on the Code Chaos 23 with Boa, I'd grab two pairs and not look back.

1 hour ago, Just_the_Chip said:

I'm skeptical on BOA's for golf shoes. I have fly fished for almost 3 decades, and I recently went back to Laces on my wading boots. The BOA's internal components would get full of dirt, some rusted, and others became extremely hard to undo. The Other part with BOA's is that there is no give. So once you tighten them, they remain tight with no flexibility, so the shoes would get painful to walk in after a period of time. 

Looking at everyone's responses I may need to make another effect for the BOA system. 

Chip this is the complete opposite of my experience with the BOA golf shoes. I find them so easy to clean. And they have just the right amount of give where the shoe fits just perfect all the time… so comfortable. In fact I find myself having to tighten them from time to time at towards the end of 18 hole rounds. But you should give it a try.

I am really happy with my BOA's, although I prefer the Ecco (with the Boa on the top) to the Foot Joy (with the Boa on the back).  Multiple seasons do not seem to be an issue (and I am on the course more than 100 times per year).

I'm a TaylorMade convert on the Driver, but still a Callaway Apex iron guy