Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf bags- stand or cart, and why?

Rob Person

Both! I use a cart bag usually, but I was lucky enough to be drawn second at end of league party last year and best prize available was a nice Cleveland stand bag.  I wouldn't purchase both though, but is nice to have both as I walk in the spring and fall, when course is closed and when they won't let carts out because it is too wet.

The cartbag has more pockets and a cooler pocket and if riding I would definitely stick with it.  Some courses only give you a plastic bag with ice and your beer, so the cooler is nice.  

The stand bag is much lighter and I can pack it light for pushing it on my Babgoy cart.  

PING G410 Driver and 3 metal, Callaway Hybrids, Cobra F7 irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty Cameron Phantom X7.5

Currently a stand bag.

At some point I plan on buying a hybrid bag. I'd like a 14-way bag that has a little more storage (but not full cart bag size), chiller pouch for drinks (v important, lol), stand for range use and will be manageable and fit well on both my BagBoy push cart and suitable for riding rounds.

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :taylormade-small:Stealth2+ 4H (@22* flat) w.Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 80X

:taylormade-small:Irons: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small:Wedges 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW; 60/11 MG2TW

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix -or- :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

I always use a SunMountain C-130 cart bag as I ride 90% of the time. It’s a BIG bag, but carries everything I need or may need. When I walk, it fits well on my Sun Mountain pushcart. Having lived multiple places where the weather seems to change every ten minutes, having the right stuff with me is easier when I don’t have to remove and repack it all between rounds, unless it gets wet. 

• TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 5-S
  • TaylorMade M5 15° - Fujikura Ventus Black VeloCore 6-S
  • Callaway CF-18 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S
  • Srixon 4-AW Nippon Modus 3 105 R
  • Cleveland ZipCore 54° Mid and 58° Mid DG Spinner
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 35"
  • Titleist Pro V1
  • Arccos Gen 3 sensors

I use my Ogio Chamber cart bag all the time. Love this bag. It has individual chambers with rubber holders. It also has locking mechanism at the bottom of each chamber to lock the the clubs.  No " Shake, Raddle or Roll"

My knees prevent me from walking any long distance. My golf partner has even worse knees.

I do have a cheap stand bag that someone left at a golf course to take for "Free". I use it to take four or five clubs, to the driving range.

Bernie Gonzalez

Nice question and good comments.  I am in the “depends on the situation” camp.  Over about 5 years I acquired 4-5 different good quality bags that could be used in different situations.  I agree with the comments that a stand bag is the most useful.  Whether Ogio, Titleist, Ping, and others, they are very flexible and are great at the range and can always work in other situations.
That said, at 64 yrs. carrying  a 14 divider full size stand bag is too much.  However, if I can walk that is my preferred way of playing.  For that I have a smaller backpack style carry bag and an unstructured 7 club bag.  

When playing back-to-back rounds I push the Sun Mountain 14 way divider w/putter well and the SM push cart.  It’s a wonderful setup and quickly becoming my preferred way of walking.  Unlike some push carts, the Sun Mountain bag/cart combo has a nice molded bottom that fits into the cart and keeps the bag from shifting around while in use.  

Cart bags are great if you plan to ride the majority of time.  They are especially useful if the weather is inclement because they hold lots of stuff and you don’t need to carry or push the heavier than normal bag.

In conclusion, start with a divided stand bag because they are the most useful.  Then if you prefer riding, go to a cart bag, if you prefer to walk get either a push cart bag or lighter weight carry bag.  NEVER toss or trade in bags.  Buy bags for there use and you will get a nice collection for different purposes - plus you’ll need bags for the new clubs you’ll be buying!

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

It's a stand bag for me because I always debated on walking without a push cart. Now that I am walking more with a Push Cart, I am very tempted to go to a cart bag, but I really want a Ghost Bag..... Gotta save some moneys first though!

Samuel Hanvey 

I’m 💯 stand bag because of its weight and versatility. I’ve been using a 8-10 year old Ping Hoofer that’s served me very well. My only disappointment with it is that the dividers don’t go all the way to the bottom. But I’m guessing that it’s because of the way the bottom “collapses” when you set it down. 

My play is a mix of walking, cart, ride, and occasional caddie. I’d hate for a caddie to have to carry a cart or tour bag. It just reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield’s character from Caddy shack. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I have an interesting followup question. How often do you buy a new golf bag? I have had my present ones close to ten years and a Ping Xtreme Hoofer that I use if I walk our local par 3 course, a lot longer.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

If you never plan to walk no reason to get a stand bag. If you do plan to carry or use a push cart than a good stand or hybrid bag will be helpful. Lots of choices out there. My golfspy just posted about the best stand bags and cart bags. 

Callaway Mavrik irons, Ping woods

3 minutes ago, jolter1 said:

I have an interesting followup question. How often do you buy a new golf bag? I have had my present ones close to ten years and a Ping Xtreme Hoofer that I use if I walk our local par 3 course, a lot longer.

I have acquired 2 stand bags in 6 months via thrift shops. One is almost new, the other is a garage club storage bag. I am still a full cart bag, and will likely replace that in the next year.  

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I'm 70 years old and use a Callaway ultra lite bag, and carry religiously, I have used push carts pull carts and motorized carts, but to through that bag of sticks over your shoulders and walk a plush green course is the best feeling of accomplishment a golfer can ever have. I say if you haven't tried it you haven't experienced the true joy of golf in the way it was meant to be played. Yes I know it speeds up the play of game but if people would follow rules and be considerate of others that would make a big difference. Now if you have ever experienced playing the old course or most course's over in Scotland were no carts are aloud you know what I'm talking about, that feeling of walking in the footsteps of golfer's before you, from the famous to the not so good, doesn't matter just the feeling's that you are experiencing for the love of golf by doing it the way the game was meant to be played is all that consumes you😉

At 37 I still carry, although I have thought about investing in a automatic cart for my dad, but then I can use it when he isn't playing. So I still have the stand bag but would get the cart bag for my old man. 

Edited by Alex Sjoberg

A.Sjoberg 

I used to walk when I was younger but bad knees for years won’t allow me to walk. 
So, a good cart bag with pockets that are accessible was important. 
They are heavier, but weight isn’t an issue when riding and my knees don’t swell like they used too. 

Steve Martak

About a month ago or so I bought a Titleist 15 cart bag because i wanted more storage space for extra clothing , snacks and extras like gloves, sleeves of balls and other accessories , the past 2 years i used a Sun Mountain C 230 bag which is a excellent bag however i wanted more storage space , I also tried a 10 inch staff bag but the bag was heavier than i wanted to move back and forth from the car back into the house which i could do 25 years ago but not now and with permanent shoulder / rotator cuff issues I just couldn't do a staff bag any longer , I chose the Titleist bag because of the reviews about the extra storage and the ample club room  and 15 slots to place clubs in and with the price of bags rising I was able to get the Titleist bag at a great deal so i bought it when I did

Maltby KE4 tour TC 11 degree driver

Maltby KE 4 21 and 23 degree rescue hybrids

Ping I 525 forged irons 5 thru pw black dot

Ping glide 4.0 47 degree gap wedge

Ping glide 3.0 eye 2 54 and 58 degree wedges / all irons /wedges have tensei AV series senior flex graphite

LAB golf MEZZ 1 custom broomstick putter with Accra grapite shaft lie angle 79.5 length 46 inches

I have always liked to walk so a carry bag was always my choice. After I stopped running 9 years ago I started to struggle over the last 3-4 holes so I started using a push cart in 2020. I purchased the MGS Jones bag last year and it really doesn't sit right on the cart (bad impulse purchase) I definitely should have a cart bag., though not a Rodney!

image.png.42718f5981c4abca6cbdf429eeeeaa3d.png

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

One other item with bags these days is almost everyone going to 14 divider setup. First off, I use oversize grips which can be a very snug fit with some of the bags. Also, I like to take extra clubs when I go to the range so I still have an old staff bag with 6 way dividers to allow for multiple clubs. I know that I'm in the minority but I have been a master club builder for more than 40 years and often I have different drivers for people to try.

2 hours ago, Jeremy26 said:

I've had my Ping Pioneer for 5 years or so, and I love it. Thinking of jumping up to the DLX this year. My Pioneer is getting too full!!😂

It has a massive cooler pouch right in front. Would fit a 12 pack no problem......

Driver: Titleist TSi3 3W: TSR3, 5w Callaway BBti, Ping g430 Hybrid, Irons Ping i230, Taylormade MG 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Futura X5. Ball Titleist Pro v1x

Because I am lazy, and I use a push cart, cart bag is fine. Also, I am a bit of a pack rat, so again I prefer the cart bag. It’s why I have been praying to get picked to be a tester on the Motocaddy review. lol 

Callaway Rogue ST max driver (Tour Ad IZ-6)

Cobra LTD-X 3 and 5 wood (Tour AD UB-6)

PXG 0317 X Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue)

PXG Gen 6 P 5-G irons (Mitsubishi MMT)

PXG 0311 Forged wedges (Mitsubishi MMT)

Ping Tein 4 putter

blessed beyond measure. 

Ping Pioneer cart bag.  I walk about half the time and always have a push cart.  Got to the age where the only thing I should be lifting on the course is a cold beer.

Ping G sf

Callaway Super Hybrid 17 and 20

Tour Edge Exotics 23 and 26

Bridgestone J36 Pocket Cavity 6-PW

Jesse Ortiz 52, 56, 60

Evnroll ER7

I use a stand bag even though I use a push cart 90% of the time and ride the other 10. The reason, practice. It’s so nice at the range or short game area to not worry about my bag blowing over or anything. I am also a huge Ogio Woode system lover. Putting my headcover clubs down the side and my irons and wedges in the grouped areas keeps everything organized so I immediately notice if I leave a club on a green and keeps the grips from jamming. The only thing I miss with the new system vs the old, is the offset putter compartment. I liked having the putter just a little lower in its own space. Made it easier to grab.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

1 hour ago, jolter1 said:

I get a new bag every 3 years unless something comes out that I want sooner. 

I use a stand bag (Ping Hoofer Lite) but ride most of the time and if I walk I use a push cart.  I perfer the smaller lighter stand bag for use at the range and just the smaller profile.  Living in AZ I don't need to carry rain gear, jackets, etc. so I just carry a couple gloves, balls, and tees, and I don't need much storage. Plus a 4 way top is the way to go. 

Edited by Slammers480

Ping G410 LST

Taylormade Sim Rockect 3W

Ping G400 7W

Taylormade UDI 3i

Ping i230 5 - GW Power Spec

Ping Glide 4.0 54, 58

Ping Anser 2 Milled

Stand Bag. Love to be able set the bag down and it not fall over even on uneven ground. I walk mostly now as well so I have a Titleist Player 4 carry bag which is not even 4 lbs. Walking saves so much money and with this bag, it's a breeze. In the last 4 rounds I've saved almost $80 compared to the guys I played with that rode a cart.

Kevin WP

Cart Bag - would like to be able to use my Bag Boy stand bag - but it will not stay in place on my Hillbilly motorized cart - on the occasions when I walk. Not wanting to change out bags between rounds; I opt for my Sun Mountain Cart Bag. 

I currently have a stand bag. I usually ride, but do enjoy getting out and walking, normally 9 on Sunday mornings. I'm in the market for a new bag, as the Callaway one I've had for 3 years had one of the legs break out of the plastic pivot point where it attaches to the bag. I got it back in, but it will randomly pop out and is a huge pain to put back together. Thinking about a 5-way stand bag as opposed to the 14 way that I have now; sometimes the clubs are a real pain to get in and out. But, as someone brought up on the community call yesterday, the 14 way is a good indicator of "oh crap, I left my wedge on the last hole!"

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Ogio Silencer stand bag. Mostly because it goes from here.

20240329_074802.jpg

to here in just a few seconds. 

20240329_074911.jpg

Edited by EnderinAZ

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I have only ever had stand bags, but I think I would prefer cart bags. I mostly push a pushcart and occasionally ride a cart. Last year, I did not carry a bag on my back for a single round. I feel like the cart bags would offer more storage for clothes (I golfed in the rain a few times last year and I was disappointed I didn’t have adequate space for extra towels and rain gear). I also like that most cart bags offer more club chatter protection. 
I’ve been looking into the nevr looz bags. They look kind of weird but I like that each club has a spot and they support larger grips (like JumboMax). It also seems like the ease of access to each club is great! 
image.png.5e0957f628f92ce7910a52bffa4333ca.png

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here