Newton Driver Golf Shaft Review (2024)

GolfSpy_APH

15 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I have another little update for this. 

The crew at SP asked for my feedback and I sent them this link along with my general feelings. I asked where to tip it or where Aki recommended to tip it given what I was seeing and feeling. He said to tip from the butt end which is what I will do. 

However interestingly when I gave them the numbers they still said 5 dot is where I should fit into (I referenced this but I used both a FlightScope system and Full Swing) They were both very different and I will reserve some judgement. Anyway swing speed, AOA, launch and spin were similar... just direction was entertaining to see on one of them. 

After the feedback I got an email back mentioning the weight was something they had others have feedback on they were making a batch of prototypes which are lighter and he would send out one to test and try. I think the 5 dot trimmed a bit will be solid for me. May take off a gram or two, but also changing the grip may be a little nicer as well. 

The point is I am very impressed that the feedback in part which I have given is effecting some level or change or coinciding with what others have felt and the changes will hopefully be for the better of the product. 

All the Newton shafts are made locally in the US so they can make these tweaks and changes without much difficulty... again something I find really cool!

I will try to get some better photos today to share. 

Just got off the sim and was hitting around 140-145 mph ball speed. For some reason the track man wasn’t capturing my head speed on my drives. I’m still thinking the 5 dot. More to come but I’m looking forward to your feedback.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver-5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft 

Woods: Ping 425 Max 3-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Hybrid: PXG 0317 17*-Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1+ shaft

Irons: New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: PXG 311 Gen 3 52-56 Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Putter: TaylorMade Truss Heal

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Ball: OnCore VeroX 

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

35 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Just got off the sim and was hitting around 140-145 mph ball speed. For some reason the track man wasn’t capturing my head speed on my drives. I’m still thinking the 5 dot. More to come but I’m looking forward to your feedback.

With perfect contact that would be in the 94-97 MPH range. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

49 minutes ago, Erin B said:

According to their flex chart that would put you in a 4 dot

Play like a champion today!

31 minutes ago, Javs said:

According to their flex chart that would put you in a 4 dot

Yes it would. I’m not in golf shape yet which is why I’m still considering the 5 dot. That’s why I’m looking forward to the 5 dot review. $250 is a bit pricey to not take in all the research.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

So that the change between dots and who can or can't play them is interesting because of how Aki their lead R&D went through everything. 

According to him most golfers could play a variety of their shafts and still have them perform. The key difference is the proper dot would elevate that performance.

And to an extent I saw this with the 6 dot. It still performed well, but fatigue was going to be an issue.

He even went so far to say that he had gone out and played a 1-dot with success. Now that may be taking it to extremes but given the stated profiles and experience I do think there is a range for 3 dots which most could play. It then comes down to weight and if they like to feel some sort of kick in the shaft. 

I prefer a more stable feel with less kick. I could very well fit into a 4 dot as well. 

Without having all of them it is tough to say tho.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

9 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Based on the ball speed numbers that you posted in your earlier thread, I am not sure that you are even close to their 5 dot shaft requirements for the Newton Motion driver shaft.  At a 145 MPH ball speed, your clubhead speed is almost certainly no higher than 96-97 MPH. That is the top end of my driver clubhead speed (I range from about 93 to 97 MPH with the driver), and I was told just yesterday by Angelo Papadourakis, Executive V.P. of Sales at Sacks Parente Golf (parent company of Newton Golf Shafts) that I am "between 3 dots and 4 dots" on their flex scale. Because I have a quick and aggressive swing, he said that I am more likely a 4 dot guy, but he is going to have one of his "technical guys" get in touch with me to discuss my complete player/swing profile.

FYI -- I am a Professional Clubfitter with more than 35 years experience, and I worked for several of the golf equipment companies (mainly shaft manufacturers) on the various professional golf tours (mainly PGA and PGA Tour Champions, a/k/a "Senior Tour"). Still, because I wanted some clarification regarding the Newton "dot system" for shaft flex, I reached out directly to them, which is how my chain of communication with their Executive V.P. began. Once I have a discussion with one of their "tech guys", I suspect that I will be ordering a Newton Motion shaft for my Callaway Paradym X driver -- at the length that I want (not 45.75") and with the flex that they recommend after we have a detailed discussion.

One additional note -- I have some reservations regarding the high torque numbers of the Newton driver shafts (at least, all but the very stiffest 6 dot model). For me, with an aggressive, quick tempo golf swing, higher torque golf shafts have NEVER been a good fit. By "higher torque", I am talking about no higher than about 3.5 to 3.8 degrees in the driver, 3.0 to 3.4 degrees in fairway woods, and  nothing more than about 2.4 to 2.8 degrees in my hybrids.  I also wouldn't play graphite/composite iron shafts at all until manufacturers started offering medium-weight (80-95 gram) graphite iron shafts with 2.0 - 2.3 degrees of torque or less.  We'll have to see how I get along with a Newton 4 dot driver shaft, at 5.0 degrees of torque, if I decide to buy and install one in my driver.

Thank you for the information. After my sim session yesterday, it became obvious to me that I am not going to buy one until I get a lot more swings in. This is the first time I have been in the simulator this year. The last time I was in the sim was during the summer and I was thinking the 5 dot based on the data from the summer sessions. I'm just not in golf shape yet and my numbers aren't where they were last season. If my numbers stay the same as they are now on a consistent basis then I would be in that 3-4 dot range, but I have about 15 lbs to lose and some stagnant muscle to build back up before the season starts (I've been lazy this winter). I just don't want to regret buying a shaft that is the right fit at the beginning of the season then is not the right fit later in the season. I will reach out to the company once my numbers are consistent. This is why I am excited for the reviews and the conversation. I will be back on the sim next week and hopefully with my pro. Again, I really appreciate the conversation and your reply. 

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

I'm thinking the more dots the stiffer, but also the higher the kick point. Does it give a torque rating for each shaft? 

thanks for the interesting feedback, have a great day!

Edited by buckpillar
added more

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

[email protected]

10 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Based on the ball speed numbers that you posted in your earlier thread, I am not sure that you are even close to their 5 dot shaft requirements for the Newton Motion driver shaft.  At a 145 MPH ball speed, your clubhead speed is almost certainly no higher than 96-97 MPH. That is the top end of my driver clubhead speed (I range from about 93 to 97 MPH with the driver), and I was told just yesterday by Angelo Papadourakis, Executive V.P. of Sales at Sacks Parente Golf (parent company of Newton Golf Shafts) that I am "between 3 dots and 4 dots" on their flex scale. Because I have a quick and aggressive swing, he said that I am more likely a 4 dot guy, but he is going to have one of his "technical guys" get in touch with me to discuss my complete player/swing profile.

FYI -- I am a Professional Clubfitter with more than 35 years experience, and I worked for several of the golf equipment companies (mainly shaft manufacturers) on the various professional golf tours (mainly PGA and PGA Tour Champions, a/k/a "Senior Tour"). Still, because I wanted some clarification regarding the Newton "dot system" for shaft flex, I reached out directly to them, which is how my chain of communication with their Executive V.P. began. Once I have a discussion with one of their "tech guys", I suspect that I will be ordering a Newton Motion shaft for my Callaway Paradym X driver -- at the length that I want (not 45.75") and with the flex that they recommend after we have a detailed discussion.

One additional note -- I have some reservations regarding the high torque numbers of the Newton driver shafts (at least, all but the very stiffest 6 dot model). For me, with an aggressive, quick tempo golf swing, higher torque golf shafts have NEVER been a good fit. By "higher torque", I am talking about no higher than about 3.5 to 3.8 degrees in the driver, 3.0 to 3.4 degrees in fairway woods, and  nothing more than about 2.4 to 2.8 degrees in my hybrids.  I also wouldn't play graphite/composite iron shafts at all until manufacturers started offering medium-weight (80-95 gram) graphite iron shafts with 2.0 - 2.3 degrees of torque or less.  We'll have to see how I get along with a Newton 4 dot driver shaft, at 5.0 degrees of torque, if I decide to buy and install one in my driver.

I got a 3 dot shaft (I can get my SS up to 90 tops), but I accidentally (golf bag fell against cart) snapped it in half before I got any real feedback.  When they graciously agreed to replace the shaft I asked for a 2 dot figuring at my age I am only going to lose SS, and soon.  My mistake, because I also have an aggressive swing and the 2 dot doesn’t like the sudden change of direction.  My limited experience has been that this shaft helps with accuracy and will add some SS once I get it tuned in.  All of this is to suggest that if you are an aggressive swinger you may want to go with the highest dot number in your SS range.

3 minutes ago, buckpillar said:

I'm thinking the more dots the stiffer, but also the higher the kick point. Does it give a torque rating for each shaft? 

thanks for the interesting feedback, have a great day!

Yup all that information is posted on the first page. 

Kick is something I didn't really feel with these. Not like other shafts at least.

Yes 1 dot is soft and 6 dot is stiffest.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 hours ago, Erin B said:

Thank you for the information. After my sim session yesterday, it became obvious to me that I am not going to buy one until I get a lot more swings in. This is the first time I have been in the simulator this year. The last time I was in the sim was during the summer and I was thinking the 5 dot based on the data from the summer sessions. I'm just not in golf shape yet and my numbers aren't where they were last season. If my numbers stay the same as they are now on a consistent basis then I would be in that 3-4 dot range, but I have about 15 lbs to lose and some stagnant muscle to build back up before the season starts (I've been lazy this winter). I just don't want to regret buying a shaft that is the right fit at the beginning of the season then is not the right fit later in the season. I will reach out to the company once my numbers are consistent. This is why I am excited for the reviews and the conversation. I will be back on the sim next week and hopefully with my pro. Again, I really appreciate the conversation and your 

just talked to the company. I like what they say and will continue to monitor. They’re pretty flexible.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

On 1/15/2024 at 7:57 PM, cnosil said:

Are the torque values measured the same way?  Multiple ways to measure a shafts torque.   Another non standard measure in the golf industry.

Was wondering the same thing about torque?  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

14 hours ago, Willie T said:

Was wondering the same thing about torque?  

Different companies take different measurements for torque. Whether that is a single point, 2 point of 4 point (to my knowledge).

Bottom line torque is all about feel and there are definitely preferences on both or all sides of it. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Was digging into the torque info a little more last night and came across this.

Torque is defined as "a measure of how much a shaft resists twisting during the golf swing. It is measured in degrees, which denotes how many degrees the shaft will twist under a given force."

Companies do use different machines to test the torque out and it can vary.  

It's interesting on some of the descriptions from different companies on the thought process behind their numbers.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Torque is defined as "a measure of how much a shaft resists twisting during the golf swing. It is measured in degrees, which denotes how many degrees the shaft will twist under a given force."

It's interesting on some of the descriptions from different companies on the thought process behind their numbers.  

And if can also be besides differently depending on where they measure it both in rotation and at what length.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

And if can also be besides differently depending on where they measure it both in rotation and at what length.

so much variance between companies, just like shaft stiffness.  

Bottom line, fittings are the only way to really figure it out.  Or do what a few of us tend to do and try multiple shafts out.  haha

Edited by Josh Parker

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Operative word is “where” - have drag racing friends who will talk horsepower and torque, some quote at the flywheel and others at the rear wheels - two very different places of the same measurements that offer very different numbers….

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

3 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

That's very interesting that it's a measure of "twisting" versus a measure of bending resistance or something similar. I'm sure shafts are going through a lot of different mechanical stresses during a golf swing. I also don't understand how shaft manufacturers can only use one torque value for a shaft. Most shafts have varying stiffness throughout the shaft (e.g. stiff grip section, x-stiff mid section, stiff tip section). 

Might make for an interesting community call to have a shaft manufacturer attempt to explain what to look for when deciphering torque and stiffness? 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

17 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

At some point we will have Aki on for a community call. Just working on a few things before and then we can sort out a date. He is very knowledgeable and a great person to talk to. 

This would be awesome!

Trimmed and regripped!

I had the choice of Blue, Pink or Grey... Very nearly went Pink... still might. 

PXL_20240120_075855075.jpg

PXL_20240120_075848380.jpg

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Trimmed and regripped!

That color probably looks great with the Paradym!  And I agree, I would go Pink but then again I had the Bubba Watson Pink shaft in my Titleist driver at one point.

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Trimmed and regripped!

If I get one I’m going pink lol

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

• 2 weeks later...

Will be doing some testing today or tomorrow with some new golf balls and excited to see how it performs now that the 5 dot has been trimmed a bit.

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

9 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Will be doing some testing today or tomorrow with some new golf balls and excited to see how it performs now that the 5 dot has been trimmed a bit.

Will you be hitting both again or just focusing on the 5 dot?  

Enjoy!  

I have a 4-dot Newton shaft with a Callaway adapter, built to play at 45” long in my Paradym X driver, which should arrive on Saturday. The 4-dot model was recommended for me due to my quick tempo and aggressive swing. I generate 93-97 MPH clubhead speed and my average drive carries about 230 yards, with really good drives carrying 245-250 yards and running out to 265 yards or just a bit more.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

13 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I have a 4-dot Newton shaft with a Callaway adapter, built to play at 45” long in my Paradym X driver, which should arrive on Saturday. The 4-dot model was recommended for me due to my quick tempo and aggressive swing. I generate 93-97 MPH clubhead speed and my average drive carries about 230 yards, with really good drives carrying 245-250 yards and running out to 265 yards or just a bit more.

Please let us know!!! I am seriously considering ordering one. I just haven't decided what club head to put it on.

PXG Bat Attack

Ping Anser

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Chrome TourX

On 2/1/2024 at 9:55 AM, Erin B said:

Please let us know!!! I am seriously considering ordering one. I just haven't decided what club head to put it on.

The Newton 4-dot shaft arrived today (yes, delivered on Sunday), and the assembly was perfect. I requested -1/2” in assembly length, because that is my maximum driver length (45”) and it matches the length of my Paradym X driver’s HZRDUS Black Gen 4 shaft. I also requested 2 extra build-up tape layers under the grip, and it feels like that was also done.

The shaft is installed in my Paradym X driver and it is going to the SIM with me tomorrow and will be played in my indoor round tomorrow evening. If the numbers and performance are good, the Newton shaft will be staying in my driver for my 2-day Winter Classic event on Wednesday and Thursday at the NJ Shore.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!