Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Makefield Putters-We Tried It Article

15 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If most of you were like me 2 months ago, I hadn't heard of Makefield Putters, until I saw a video from a YouTuber at the PGA show, I was intrigued by what they said about the putter and went to the website.   There i read all abut them, but best of all saw they had a Trial Kit that you could get for basically the cost of shipping $20 to try out different heads, shafts and weight configurations.  Sounded good to me...So here was my experience with it.   

I since had a follow up call with the Director of Brand Development, so I'd be happy to answer any questions here or read any comments you may feel free to leave on the article page.

We Tried It-MaKefield Putters

Makefield stock image.jpg

Great read!  I have always thought a putter should be made this way for fitting purposes. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

17 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If most of you were like me 2 months ago, I hadn't heard of Makefield Putters, until I saw a video from a YouTuber at the PGA show, I was intrigued by what they said about the putter and went to the website.   There i read all abut them, but best of all saw they had a Trial Kit that you could get for basically the cost of shipping $20 to try out different heads, shafts and weight configurations.  Sounded good to me...So here was my experience with it.   

I since had a follow up call with the Director of Brand Development, so I'd be happy to answer any questions here or read any comments you may feel free to leave on the article page.

looks interesting for sure...

committed to performance excellence

14 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great article Rob!  Fun seeing familiar names on the main site.  If it weren't for Pinehurst last year I wouldn't have heard of them.  McGolf had a Makefield and a LAB Mezz Max in his bag.  I could comfortably game either one based on performance.  Highly recommend anyone looking for a putter to give this home-delivery fit/putter trial a go.  It is an unconventional looking putter, but the Makefield guys have done their homework.  There is something to their wizardry weighting system.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Very interesting review on the creative way Makefield intends to get their putters in golfer's hands without brick and mortar stores.  You made the process sound pretty easy and straightforward.  Hope the company does well since they're going up against the big names.

Best book on golf, "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella

16 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Great read!  I have always thought a putter should be made this way for fitting purposes. 

Thanks!!

it's funny when I was explaining the testing to my fiancé and how it was unique, she thought why don't all companies do that.   LOL...great question. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

16 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Great article Rob!  Fun seeing familiar names on the main site.  If it weren't for Pinehurst last year I wouldn't have heard of them.  McGolf had a Makefield and a LAB Mezz Max in his bag.  I could comfortably game either one based on performance.  Highly recommend anyone looking for a putter to give this home-delivery fit/putter trial a go.  It is an unconventional looking putter, but the Makefield guys have done their homework.  There is something to their wizardry weighting system.

Thanks JP...and yeah who knew we had a bunch of writers on our staff..ha 

During my call with Nick Jim's (McGolfs) name definitely came up, I didn't realize he was a Makefield fitter, but it totally makes sense. 

It is a great way to try something in real world circumstances before buying, instead of just a roll 10 putts on a matt in Golf Galaxy that may or may not be sloped right towards the hole 🙂  

9 minutes ago, Philly Ray said:

Very interesting review on the creative way Makefield intends to get their putters in golfer's hands without brick and mortar stores.  You made the process sound pretty easy and straightforward.  Hope the company does well since they're going up against the big names.

Thanks. And it really is easy, took me a few minutes of studying their head types and I went with two styles that have typically worked for me.   They are also  offering virtual fittings now, so in theory you can get the self fit kit in, then do a virtual video fit with them and the fitter can make some recommendations as to what weight configurations to try.   That might be the best of both worlds. 

10 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks!!

it's funny when I was explaining the testing to my fiancé and how it was unique, she thought why don't all companies do that.   LOL...great question. 

I have an idea for a putter but no idea where to have it made or the ability to do cad. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Nicely done!  DTC putters?  Never thought that would be a thing until now.  🤔   That price tag though .... Yikes!  I'd be hard pressed to pay that much, unless it made everything I looked at.  But we all know it's the Indian & not the Arrow.  At least for $20 you can decide which Arrow 🤣

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks. And it really is easy, took me a few minutes of studying their head types and I went with two styles that have typically worked for me.   They are also  offering virtual fittings now, so in theory you can get the self fit kit in, then do a virtual video fit with them and the fitter can make some recommendations as to what weight configurations to try.   That might be the best of both worlds. 

Following in LAB's shoes?  

10 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

Nicely done!  DTC putters?  Never thought that would be a thing until now.  🤔   That price tag though .... Yikes!  I'd be hard pressed to pay that much, unless it made everything I looked at.  But we all know it's the Indian & not the Arrow.  At least for $20 you can decide which Arrow 🤣

So the price, is definitely in the same end as the upper tier of putters. But as I think I mentioned, they are very well made. and the milling is phenomenal.   I prefer a soft sounding putter and sometimes that's hard to find with a milled face.  But this one felt and sounded better than just about any milled putter I have tried.   

And lie you said, it's a $20 risk at most.  

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So the price, is definitely in the same end as the upper tier of putters. But as I think I mentioned, they are very well made. and the milling is phenomenal.   I prefer a soft sounding putter and sometimes that's hard to find with a milled face.  But this one felt and sounded better than just about any milled putter I have tried.   

And lie you said, it's a $20 risk at most.  

I thought being a DTC of putters & that being something "new" to the consumer, that they might start on the low end of the price range.  That may get more traction & more interest.  Once that happens, raise the price a bit.  But I'm sure there are reasons not made publicly of why the high cost .... price of manufacturing, etc. 

1 minute ago, golfinnut said:

I thought being a DTC of putters & that being something "new" to the consumer, that they might start on the low end of the price range.  That may get more traction & more interest.  Once that happens, raise the price a bit.  But I'm sure there are reasons not made publicly of why the high cost .... price of manufacturing, etc. 

Like most companies, I trust them to know their business model better than most of us.   I do know they have 6 large CNC milling machines in their production building, and those and the labor to them is not cheap.  These aren't heads that are mass produced in China, they are 100% individually made here in the US.  

So another reason for those that always want to support a true made in the USA company. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I was fitted in-person at Makefield Putters by Mike Brown 11 months ago (a VERY thorough and informative process that took about 75 to 90 minutes, BTW), and much to my surprise I ended up with their VS putter model at 34” long and a 67* lie angle. The lie angle was a great shock to me, as I have always had a 70* to 71* lie angle on my 33.5” to 34” long putters, and I have been professionally fitted for putters twice in the past (most recently in 2003 or 2004 by Dana Upshaw, who was the most-honored — and most people in the golf industry recognized as the “best” clubfitter in the history of the profession).

Unfortunately, try as I may, I have never been able to get acclimated to the Makefield VS putter, and although it was the only putter that I used for 9 to 10 months — and more than 75 to 85 rounds of golf — I went back to using one of my two Evnroll putters about a month ago.

I do plan to reach out to Mike Brown and schedule an appointment to reevaluate the custom Makefield Putter fitting that he did last year, to see if there are any “tweaks” that can be done, as Makefield’s fitting facility is only 8 miles from where I live.

Incidentally, I have been a member of the Makefield Highlands Golf Club and its Golf Association, as well as their competition golf teams for many years. Makefield Putters actually got its name from this golf course because Michael Little, the company’s founder and a PGA Professional, as well as Mike Dynda, another PGA Professional and Brand Ambassador for the company, have both had long affiliations with the Makefield Highlands Golf Club.  

Mike Brown is also one of the top competition golfers in the NJ/PA area, and won his third NJ Mid-Am Championship in 2023. He is also a 4-time New Jersey State Golf Association Champion, has won the Pennsylvania Amateur Championship, and has placed top-5 in a few U.S. Mid Amateur Championships, including being medalist in stroke play qualifying in 2019. He was the oldest golfer, at age 49, to win the GAP (Golf Association of Philadelphia) “Grand Slam” (Philadelphia Amateur, Mid-Am, Open Championship, and Joseph H. Patterson Cup) in 2022.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

very interesting and unique! what a great way to try a few different styles; worst case is you've only spent 20.00 if none of them work for you. The putters themselves look really sharp.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

25 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I was fitted in-person at Makefield Putters by Mike Brown 11 months ago (a VERY thorough and informative process that took about 75 to 90 minutes, BTW), and much to my surprise I ended up with their VS putter model at 34” long and a 67* lie angle. The lie angle was a great shock to me, as I have always had a 70* to 71* lie angle on my 33.5” to 34” long putters, and I have been professionally fitted for putters twice in the past (most recently in 2003 or 2004 by Dana Upshaw, who was the most-honored — and most people in the golf industry recognized as the “best” clubfitter in the history of the profession).

Unfortunately, try as I may, I have never been able to get acclimated to the Makefield VS putter, and although it was the only putter that I used for 9 to 10 months — and more than 75 to 85 rounds of golf — I went back to using one of my two Evnroll putters about a month ago.

I do plan to reach out to Mike Brown and schedule an appointment to reevaluate the custom Makefield Putter fitting that he did last year, to see if there are any “tweaks” that can be done, as Makefield’s fitting facility is only 8 miles from where I live.

Incidentally, I have been a member of the Makefield Highlands Golf Club and its Golf Association, as well as their competition golf teams for many years. Makefield Putters actually got its name from this golf course because Michael Little, the company’s founder and a PGA Professional, as well as Mike Dynda, another PGA Professional and Brand Ambassador for the company, have both had long affiliations with the Makefield Highlands Golf Club.  

Mike Brown is also one of the top competition golfers in the NJ/PA area, and won his third NJ Mid-Am Championship in 2023. He is also a 4-time New Jersey State Golf Association Champion, has won the Pennsylvania Amateur Championship, and has placed top-5 in a few U.S. Mid Amateur Championships, including being medalist in stroke play qualifying in 2019. He was the oldest golfer, at age 49, to win the GAP (Golf Association of Philadelphia) “Grand Slam” (Philadelphia Amateur, Mid-Am, Open Championship, and Joseph H. Patterson Cup) in 2022.

Thanks for sharing that experience.   So cool they are that close to you, I did see on their home page about the name being related to the Golf Course and area.   Mike was very helpful when I called in about the weight question I mentioned in the piece.   I told Ken, I might just have to make the drive up this spring or summer for an in person fitting.   

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Nice article! Like the concept of the self-fit kit put forth by Makefield.

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Like most companies, I trust them to know their business model better than most of us.   I do know they have 6 large CNC milling machines in their production building, and those and the labor to them is not cheap.  These aren't heads that are mass produced in China, they are 100% individually made here in the US.  

So another reason for those that always want to support a true made in the USA company. 

When I picked up my Makefield putter, I got a tour of their manufacturing facility, which was great for me! I am a “machine and machine shop geek”, having studied manufacturing engineering and production management in college, which required three semesters of hands-on machine shop, plus one semester of metallurgy lab work, and I think that this was a factor in my interest in golf clubmaking, which I took up almost two decades later. 

I was very impressed with the manufacturing process and the skills of the machinists who work on the Makefield putters

Spoiler

6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Thanks for sharing that experience.   So cool they are that close to you, I did see on their home page about the name being related to the Golf Course and area.   Mike was very helpful when I called in about the weight question I mentioned in the piece.   I told Ken, I might just have to make the drive up this spring or summer for an in person fitting.   

Mike Brown is a very nice guy, and he gave me a “mini putting lesson” in addition to my fitting at Makefield Putters’ Fitting Center, which is almost directly across the street in the industrial center where their manufacturing facility is located.  He’s also probably the best amateur golfer in our tri-state area (Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware), as I’m sure you can see from the profile information that I posted about him.

The other two Mikes of Makefield Putters, particularly Mike Dynda, are excellent players (of course, they are both PGA Pros).  Dynda has won a lot of area professional tournaments, and he has played in numerous PGA Club Professional National Tournaments, and in a couple of PGA Championships and more recently in the Senior PGA Champiuonship.

Edited by funkyjudge

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great write-up and congrats on your first article hitting the main site! 

Really cool and fun to see. 

Love that more staff are getting involved with the main site content and love how much content the same site is producing!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)