Going to start walking courses instead of riding - Any advice?

3 hours ago, MN_Hacker said:

One big factor is whether or not the course is set up for walking.  I've played some courses that have almost a mile between 9 and 10, etc....  It's easy to keep up with riders on a hole while playing, but the courses with long walks between the holes make walking difficult sometimes.  

YES!!! Thank you for that.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

I can’t express how much more I enjoyed walking than riding! From now on if I don’t have my son with me I plan to walk. The experience may be a bit different if my playing partners are riding but as long as I’m not holding anyone up that would be ok with me. 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

I’ve already walked more this year than the last couple combined. I invited my dad to walk 9 with me last week (he doesn’t golf but tries to walk to stay healthy) and we had a great time. Plus my wife is more likely to say go walk 9 if my dad and I are spending time together. It also saves a good amount the more you go. I do you use push cart also. 

Jonathan

52 minutes ago, Coulter said:

I can’t express how much more I enjoyed walking than riding! From now on if I don’t have my son with me I plan to walk. The experience may be a bit different if my playing partners are riding but as long as I’m not holding anyone up that would be ok with me. 

Yesterday guys started giving me crap bc I would hold them up. The only slight wait was when there was quite a long walk from green to tee one time. 

Jonathan

PUSH. CART. I'm not yet 40 and I love mine. I was a caddy for years and stubborn and put off buying one. Never should have waited.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

15 hours ago, Jhampt00 said:

Yesterday guys started giving me crap bc I would hold them up. The only slight wait was when there was quite a long walk from green to tee one time. 

We've got one hill you have to go up playing each 9 at the course my league is at.  It's between 3-4 and 10-11.  The cart riders (if there are any) usually drag the walkers push carts up for them which makes the walk faster and easier.  On the flat ground, the course is easy to walk and keep up with riders.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

15 hours ago, Jhampt00 said:

When I push my cart or carry my bag, I am rarely the last one to be ready to hit or to reach the green. I'm typically the last one to the tee box from the green but it never means they wait for me hit. It is very uncommon for cart riders in my group to play faster than me and that's usually when they are low handicap golfers and aren't chasing their ball all over the course.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+

I've always preferred walking to riding, had a few buddies pick up golf in the last few years. So that turned into riding every round. Everyone bought push carts this winter, now they are learning walking isn't the easiest. Walking is quick if everyone walks to their own ball. Dont dilly dally walking to each others shots.

Protein snacks, energy bars, definitely more water than you'd think or hope the course has water jugs.

TSI 3

PXG 0211 4-W

Wilson Staff 50,56,60

Cleveland Huntington Beach 4

5 minutes ago, alewan888 said:

I've always preferred walking to riding, had a few buddies pick up golf in the last few years. So that turned into riding every round. Everyone bought push carts this winter, now they are learning walking isn't the easiest. Walking is quick if everyone walks to their own ball. Dont dilly dally walking to each others shots.

Protein snacks, energy bars, definitely more water than you'd think or hope the course has water jugs.

With league, it's the riders that go to each other's ball, discuss the shot, and stand around before finally taking the shot and doing it again at the other person's ball.  The only thing riders are quicker at in our league is driving between holes.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

Started walking using a ClicGear cart - then added a V2 Alphard to it.

Home course is just over 7 miles for 18 holes. 

Comfortable shoes are a must, my feet will hurt if walking in spiked shoes.  Ecco, Sketchers and Adidas are my 3 favorite shoes.

If pushing, use cart path or lowest mowed grass available.  Played a course that before I had the V2, I would walk up the cart path & cut over to my ball.  It was a good 100' elevation climb & pushing a cart up that was a chore.  I called it HeartAttack Hole 

Report back how your walking is going, I find very few people like carts after walking.

**  Our course has a local college team using it. I asked one of the players if they can use push carts in tournaments & he said that they can.  Cant imagine walking 36 holes a day like they do!!!

If you happen to go the clicgear route.  As someone with all the attachments, the steering knob is the best attachment without a doubt.  It takes about half the effort to push the cart, and doesn't put extra strain on your wrists when turning or going up a hill.  Worth every penny.  Buy it first.

image.png.595d6b513333ef026e1700170e710335.png

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

CURRENTLY TESTING T-Squared TS-912 putter

I love walking. Best advice is to get a power caddy. I have an MGI Navigator with remote. I play on a very hilly course and it is great . I can carry lots of water and snacks in the pouch . Easy fold up if you don’t have club storage at your club . Try a push cart first to see if it works for you . Enjoy the walk . The only issue that I ever have is when the other 3 in my group rush past me in their carts

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

I walk much more often than not and after 30 years have experience in this subject.

I wouldn't try to walk 18 your first time. Earliest tee times. Bring good shoes, water, and some gold bond. Remember that even if you're playing from the front tees, you're walking from the back ones too.

Driver: CALLAWAY Ai Smoke FUJIKURA VENTUS 9

Hybrid: MIZUNO Fli-Hi 2-3 KBS CUSTOM + TOUR 130X GRAPHITE

Irons: MIZUNO 241 4-PW KBS CUSTOM + TOUR 130X GRAPHITE

Wedges: PXG SUGAR DADDY II 50(10), 54(10), 58(10) KBS CUSTOM + TOUR 130X GRAPHITE

Putter: LAB GOLF 2.1 LaGOLF 130, PRESS GRIP

Ball: WILSON TOUR

Grips: BEST GRIPS GRIDIRON

Bag: BAG PING HOOFER

Sim: GOLFZON TwoVision

I just finished walking my second 18 and I'm loving it. The pace is better because I'm not as rushed to drive to my ball and hit. I feel like I can take the scenery in a bit more as well. I'll be walking once or twice a week from here on out!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

• 3 weeks later...

I fell in love with golfing by walking and playing.  I started by carrying my clubs, then paid for the course's pull cart, then progressed to a Clicgear 2.5 and now a Clicgear 3.5 with Alphard V2.  Love it! 

Great shoes are a must but ,as I've learned, great golf shoes are NOT.  I actually wear Altra Lone Peak hiking shoes because they have great grip (more than some spikeless) and are actually foot shaped vs having a narrow, cramped toe box.  I walk 6 to 7 miles when I play and have absolutely no foot pain now. Imho, spikeless golf shoes are a scam.  Buy a good, grippy pair of running or hiking shoes and wear them.  

The motorized push cart makes all the difference in the world as well.  Highly recommend!

It's the equipment,not the player....totally convinced. 

On 5/9/2024 at 9:12 AM, WeileMom said:

Great shoes are a must but ,as I've learned, great golf shoes are NOT.  I actually wear Altra Lone Peak hiking shoes because they have great grip (more than some spikeless) and are actually foot shaped vs having a narrow, cramped toe box.  I walk 6 to 7 miles when I play and have absolutely no foot pain now. Imho, spikeless golf shoes are a scam.  Buy a good, grippy pair of running or hiking shoes and wear them.  

Good points, and I agree some spikeless shoes are not really golf but "lifestyle". But also .. be careful of runner style shoes that may raise your heel too much; generally golf shoes are more neutral.

Anyway glad to see another lady walker!! My wife and I also walk, and have gone thru a few push cart upgrades over the years .. I set her up with the Alphard V2 on a Bag Boy Quad XL and she loves it.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

On 4/8/2024 at 8:06 PM, Jhampt00 said:

At my local muni where slow play is unfortunately the norm, I always say, "I promise it won't be me that slows down our round." I do try to pick up the pace when I feel I'm behind but if you play ready golf, it shouldn't matter. I also try to get a "head start" before others have finished hitting if I can do so safely and without interfering. There are two holes that cross a creek with bridges on the left, and when you slice it right, you're going to have a long walk. In my most recent round, I made the mistake of sitting on a bench next to the 16th tee while we waited for the green to clear, after the longest green-to-tee walk on the course. I really didn't want to get up. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

Firstly, invest in a comfortable and sturdy pair of golf shoes, preferably ones with good traction. Consider a lightweight carry bag or a pushcart to ease the burden of carrying your clubs. Hydration is key, so carry a water bottle or invest in a small cooler bag for your pushcart. Plan your snacks wisely, opting for energy-boosting options like nuts or fruit. Lastly, enjoy the experience! Walking the course allows you to soak in the scenery and really connect with your game. Good luck out there!

Archideal LLC

17 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Good points, and I agree some spikeless shoes are not really golf but "lifestyle". But also .. be careful of runner style shoes that may raise your heel too much; generally golf shoes are more neutral.

Absolutely agree!  Look for "zero drop" shoes.  There are more and more of them out there.  Altra is one brand. Xero shoes are another.  

Good for your wife!  I'm one ofnthe fewnladies that walk in my club, but more are interested now that they see how the motorized carts work.  

Also, for the origonal poster, often there are shorcuts that golfers who walk can take to the next hole vs following the cart path.  I will also walk ahead further than I would take a cart.  If they are giving you crap, then make it obvious that you are going as soon as they hit.  Think about your next shot as you walk as well.  Most of all, ignore them!  You are doing good things for yourself and your game. 

It's the equipment,not the player....totally convinced. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve walked now 7-8 rounds and I’m still loving it. I’ve noticed my body stays looser because I’m walking the entire time and not sitting in a golf cart. 

And my handicap is at an all time low of 8.9 right now. Coincidence? 

Edited by brogies

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

I love walking the course. My best scores have been when I’m walking. The only time I prefer riding is when I’m with the fellas and I know it’s going to be more about socializing than playing. Also, some courses are not built with walkers in mind. In those instances I’ll ride. 

I would highly recommend a push cart. I would indulge in something nice, look for a bottle/cup holder, umbrella holder, easy fold up/operation, four wheels is more stable, basket/net, etc..

Start walking nine if you’re concerned about fitness or fatigue. Get good shoes. I use Ecco and ASICS, love them both. You may be spending a lot at once buying good shoes and a cart but you’ll save much more in cart fees.

-Galvan

Mizuno STZ 10.5; Tour Edge C522 irons; Cleveland wedges RTX; Cleveland Huntington Beach Putter, Srixion Z-star XV

On 3/29/2024 at 8:08 AM, brogies said:

How young is too young for a push cart? 😂

No such thing! How young is too young to use a motor cart?

Just an fyi on using a push cart. I walked and carried my bag my entire golfing life but a few years ago, when I was playing 4-6 days a week, I started getting pain on top of my right shoulder. Realized it was from shouldering my bag. I was reluctant to get a push cart but did some research and found multiple articles stating that you expend only 20 cal less pushing a cart than carrying during 18 holes. I was sold and my shoulder thanked me!

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:maxfli: Tour X

I ended up getting the Bag Boy Nitron and I'm loving it. Glad I spent the $$ on it vs. going a cheaper route. 

I absolutely love walking but I can't do 18. I have a Bag Boy Nitron & Bag Boy carry bag that I use when I'm walking (Sun Mountain C130 for riding). I find it super peaceful to walk. Do your homework and get a decent cart... Ones that open and close ready will make your life easier.

Tips:

1. As others have mentioned, get good shoes. First time I walked I had old showers and by the end I felt like I had cinder blocks strapped to my feet. I'm a huge fan of the Adidas Codechaos.

2. Pack light. Remove any clubs you don't think you'll need. Minimize balls, tees etc. I'm a huge over-packer so this was a big adjustment but it's worth it.

3. Water & snacks. Make sure you have enough water to stay hydrated and some snacks. I usually have a small bag of jerky and a small trail mix. I'm diabetic so depending on how my sugar levels feel dictates what I'll eat. 

4. Enjoy your time! I always take a small Bluetooth speaker and hang out from my push cart. I treat it like a complete break from reality and love it. Plus walking in between really helps clear your head and forget about your previous shot.

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D driver

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Paradym X 3 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 7 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue 11 wood

default_callaway-small.jpg.8db5efa44231b3e5cd6fc5deb94644e4.jpgCallaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

default_taylormade-small.jpg.b0f650a8eb8b3219e3f783d396bd8458.jpgTaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56)

default_cameron-small.gif.9b09797f71363f07049fccfe79b6b243.gifScotty Cameron Select Roundback

default_volvik-small.jpg.4484ce7bf19bc5b085f2fdccba75cde9.jpgVolvik Vivid balls

default_srixon-small.jpg.bf3ca25d7610490303deb7f6cdf80802.jpgSrixon Q-Star Divide balls

For Memorial Day I will be playing 36 holes back to back.. I really want to try walking and was wind if any of you have done this and think it’s a good idea for me to try… My playing partners really don’t want me to walk but I would be in a cart by myself anyway 

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

It Depends on a couple of things. If you're used to walking the course, then you can walk 36 holes. If it's a new course, then walk 18 and decide after 18 if you want a cart for the 2nd round. I have walked 36 holes and I have also walked 18 and got a cart for the next 18. It depends on how you're feeling at the end of 18.

Paradym X Driver 10.5*

Paradym X 5 & 7 woods

Paradym X 4 & 5 Hybrids

Paradym X irons 6-AW

Cleveland CBG wedges 50, 54 & 58*

Odyssey Versa Sabre tooth putter.