SQAIRZ VELO Shoe: 2024 Forum Member Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@funkyjudge - Main Post 

@Wheelieb - Main Post 

@Indy_Oz - Main Post 

@billpierce - Main Post

Posted (edited)

Scotland golfing was concluded yesterday. Total golf played was 108 holes (23 of which were in pouring rain). Walked more than 106,000 steps and total elevation changes were more than 17,000 feet [about 90,000 steps and 11,200 feet of eleychange was while wearing the Squairz VELO shoes].  These shoes performed admirably and I did not have any foot pain or cramps. My low score was 83 and my high score was 94 in a torrential downpour for 11 of the 18 holes. All scores were entered into the GHIN system and my handicap index actually dropped by 0.7 strokes.

Due to a death in my wife’s family, we had to cut our trip short by a week, and will be flying home tomorrow by way of Dublin, Republic of Ireland.  I will be doing my official final review of these shoes late next week.

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

1 minute ago, funkyjudge said:

Scotland golfing was concluded yesterday. Total golf played was 208 holes (23 of which were in pouring rain). Walked more than 106,000 steps and total elevation changes were more than 17,000 feet [about 90,000 steps and 11,200 feet of eleychange was while wearing the Squairz VELO shoes].  These shoes performed admirably and I did not have any foot pain or cramps. My low score was 83 and my high score was 94 in a torrential downpour for 11 of the 18 holes. All scores were entered into the GHIN system and my handicap index actually dropped by 0.7 strokes.

Due to a death in my wife’s family, we had to cut our trip short by a week, and will be flying home tomorrow by way of Dublin, Republic of Ireland.  I will be doing my official final review of these shoes late next week.

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Sounds like an all round epic golfing trip and I'm glad to hear the Sqairz have performed well for you.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss and having to cut the trip short.

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X //or// stock Denali 60g 6.5

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 w. GolfPride Reverse Taper Pistol Med grip

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

8 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Sounds like an all round epic golfing trip and I'm glad to hear the Sqairz have performed well for you.

Sorry to hear about your family's loss and having to cut the trip short.

Thanks! It’s all part of life. The USMC taught me to be flexible and adapt to anything.

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

2 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Scotland golfing was concluded yesterday. Total golf played was 208 holes (23 of which were in pouring rain). Walked more than 106,000 steps and total elevation changes were more than 17,000 feet [about 90,000 steps and 11,200 feet of eleychange was while wearing the Squairz VELO shoes].  These shoes performed admirably and I did not have any foot pain or cramps. My low score was 83 and my high score was 94 in a torrential downpour for 11 of the 18 holes. All scores were entered into the GHIN system and my handicap index actually dropped by 0.7 strokes.

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Great recap, and prayers for your family. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Outstanding golf trip and pictures. Very sorry for your family’s loss. Wish you the best!

Play like a champion today!

7 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

IMG_7604.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg

Trip of a lifetime! I am so jealous.  And that amount of walking means you REALLY experienced those courses!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Final Review of 2024 Sqairz Velo Golf Shoes –

image.png.c49a097a957c1a4586ac6eeffb84ddd1.png

Quick Recap:

As I started this review, I was clear that I would best represent the older golfer with the slower swing speed (70 to 100mph) and middle handicap (currently going upward to 12.8). I also stated that I would validate the claims of the shoemaker by (1) not only comparing shoes across my personal line, but more importantly (2) compare across a legacy pair of sqairz to validate improvements over time from the manufacturer.

Where would the data come from:  I typically play a local public course that has some unique challenges course and condition-wise, as well as a “4 team league type play” where we rotate players on teams. This week, I got closest to the pin honors! Finally, I also said I would use the GC Quad to track my results for the indoor testing at the beginning of the review process and share the accuracy and speed data for those specific claims.

image.png.14a9333a9ab7d487bdaf06f234a8aff3.png

Wet or Dry conditions the shoes performed exceptionally well for ground force contact and stability!

image.png.b527ac7c65289627ddea4201f55e1a1a.png

Compare that to my Puma’s where my feet were drenched (and Muddy):

image.png.de7042feba2d5637546c0ea68fc5d29f.png

My actual testing approach was to test three shoes – side by side:

1.       My original sqairz to get a baseline of how the shoe line is improving (and if any of my pet peeves have been addressed)

2.       My Puma spikeless because they are super comfortable, but to be honest I lose torque so this will be a good “performance test” comparison.

3.       The new 2024 Sqairz Velo and see how fit, stability, performance, aesthetics and all play out.

Getting the MGS testing started was a simple experience. Bob, the Sqairz founder, sent me the shoes (that I had selected) and we had a solid discussion about what I should expect from the shoes. Bob was sure I would experience good things from the shoe line, and he was thrilled I was already a sqairz customer. The company wants lifelong customers. The call was very informative, and I learned how to compare the strength, comfort, rigidity and think about the performance factors associated with golf shoes. Did you know the square toe is not only for comfort but to allow more ground force contact and that combined with the cleats and other design choices is what drives accuracy and speed?

OK, what does this all mean? Let us get to the fun of grading the Velo shoe:

First Impressions: 9 / 10 points

Upon opening the box and feeling the shoes, my first thoughts were: I liked the black sleek look over my legacy white shoes. Also, the new shoe material was softer, and the shoe was also slightly lighter than my original pair of sqairz and only slightly heavier than the Puma spikeless shoes.

New cleats much improved.  'Heat build up' of the shoes much improved. New materials much softer. Love the new styles and colors. I think Sqairz can still improve a bit on Aesthetics/looks but far improved over the legacy models.  Fit was a bit stiff at first but broke in quickly. Shoe is stable as one expects from Sqairz and the waterproof features work flawlessly.

I was initially curious of how my tests these critical areas that align with what the vendor claims as well as how we do testing within the MGS community. I will expand on each of these later but some impressions:

A.      Comfort – is the shoe constricting around my toes? Support the arches but not hurt, is it breathable or will my feet make the inside feel like it rained in there!  Result: Shoes are more breathable than previous models, very waterproof still, and I had no blisters or sore spots on toe, tongue or heel. They also feel slightly less heavy than my old pair. The arch support was good, not overbearing.

B.      Ground Forces & Traction – does the shoe prevent slippage, grip enough but not too much? Result: The shoe, like its predecessor models, has amazing traction. For me -- as I like to spin my feet a little –  I felt ‘too anchored’ to the ground if that is possible! The cleats picked up less turf than predecessor model, which was a nice surprise. Navigating the course, even in wet conditions the velo can go anywhere and work under any weather and turf conditions.

C.      Stability – how stable is my balance, weight transfer, torque? Does the foot roll in the shoe? Result: The Velo model retains the strength and durability of its predecessors, and I feel encourages a left biased swing for me (that should not have surprised me, but the data did). There is no slipping or rolling and as I got used to the torque, I enjoyed the stability. Energy transfer is very positive.

D.      Aesthetics – How sexy are the shoes? Result: This new Velo model is quite nice looking, and I received compliments from out on the course. My only pet peeve is the dirt does show on the black shoes, which I had hoped would not be the case.

E.       Accuracy & Speed  - does the shoe deliver results in distance and accuracy?  Result: My results showed minimal speed gain, maybe 1 to 1.5 MPH but a decent accuracy gain of 1% -6% depending on the club chosen.

Aesthetics: 8 / 10 points

The square toe may put off some folks, but understand it is to increase ground forces and the natural spread of the toes for stability.  My new black pair was much sexier than the old legacy white and it has a very modern sleek look over perhaps a more traditional golf shoe. (for example, my footjoys are more traditional).  The lacings work well to keep the shoe snug but not overbearingly tight. The waterproof features remind me of footjoy and worked perfect. Traction on wet or dry worked flawlessly with no slippage. If I were to nitpick, the shoes still pick up turf at times.

Main impressions: With the general trend in golf shoes leaning more toward streamlined and almost running shoe type athletic (like my Puma shoes), the more bulky, square toe look of the Sqairz shoes may be enough to visually make some players pause (my blunder-buss comment from my initial report). That said, the new shoe looks sleeker, the colors are improving, and the material selections and new cleats all improve the shoe from the legacy line. I like the laces but wonder if some of the other locking solutions may be just as effective and have better quality attributes regarding longevity and look a bit cleaner.

Fit & Comfort (19 out of 20)

I ordered the shoes in my normal size, and they fit perfectly. The heel and tongue were comfortable and lasted as I walked numerous holes and stress tested them. Those with wide feet will learn to enjoy the extra room in the toe box. The laces did stay put and I always felt stable and comfortable, except in high heat walking 18. I wore them in the rain, in the mud, in the heat, and never had any issues with blisters that often accompany breaking in a new pair of shoes. The shoes are structured to not twist, so I did expect that stiffness to cause discomfort, but that was not my experience.  All in all – the Velo is a nice upgrade over both my legacy Sqairz and the Puma shoes. Well, I managed to inadvertently do a thorough test of waterproofing by stepping into a muddy creek. The shoe itself had no trouble keeping my foot dry. Waterproof, Check!

My single point deduction is for breathability.  The Velo is more breathable than my older pair, so it is improved. They are not lacking there to the point of feeling uncomfortable, but I did notice heat build up on warmer days.  I may try the Speed model or a pair offering more ventilation!

On-Course Performance: 20 / 20 points

The shoes are confidence building.

Traction wise, they are at least as good as any of my other shoe options, and certainly better than the spikeless shoe I had been wearing as my go-to for a while. I will admit, when you read the Sqairz claim of increased stability, it is something you have to feel for yourself to finally believe it. It is hard to describe, but they do feel more stable especially stepping up to take a shot.

The claim of adding 12 yards, I am probably not the correct tester for that. As I suggested in my thread post, as a mid-handicap player, I am probably not generating consistent enough swing speeds anyway to truly verify that concept.

Traction and stability were flawless, and it took me a but of getting used to not spinning my feet on full shots. I particularly like to spin my back foot and tend to overspin at times.

The Good, The Bad and the In-between: 19 / 20 points

The great – I increased my accuracy!  I think the combination of wider clears, toe box and cleat positions make a difference for sure and gaining over 5% accuracy is a score!

image.png.aad2bf9750321cb44185510b2b5390c9.png

The Good – the shoes were stable, comfortable, performed in all weather conditions, and generate confidence. The fit, laces, stability, comfort, weather performance all make a great all-around shoe.

image.png.f13208f0cc7cc08662d1e30ebef56c42.png

The Bad – nothing really, but to nitpick – the square toe is a different look, the heat is still noticed on hot days, the cleats mildly pick up turf.

Play it or Trade it? 20 / 20 points

image.png.43b11e9b9d5ee07624fdd824d394dfc4.png

The largest surprise for me was the improvement in ball flight consistency / dispersion. While I may not be hitting my driver longer with these (perhaps 1-3 yards), strokes gained are still strokes gained and I will take it. If my putting didn’t abandon me the last few rounds, I had noticed an improved handicap and scores down (unfortunately my putter is failing me lately).  These are my gamers and have been all season so far! I may try a pair that builds up less heat like the speed model.

So yes, I am considering ordering a second pair, even though the price tag is a bit higher will wait for a sale the speed line / mesh line. If anything, I may wait a bit to see if new colors emerge in the mesh editions. I would love to see a traditional golf shoe like the footjoy traditions line.

Final Score: 95 /100

Conclusion:

A lot of claims regarding these shoes, simply put – what should I know and what is true?

(Putting the claims to test from the Sqairz designers)

The VELO's hallmark is its unparalleled speed-rated design, a pioneering innovation exclusively developed by SQAIRZ. At the core of the design is the SQAIRZ NRG-Direct™ film. The proprietary SQAIRZ NRG-Direct™ technology reduces energy loss in the high-stress lateral side of the shoe and redirects that power upwards. This film provides weightless lateral and rotational support resulting in an average increase of 12 yards of distance and tighter dispersion. It is not just a shoe; it is a performance accelerator, designed to optimize energy exchange.  Unique to SQAIRZ shoes is the patented SQAIRZ toe box, a feature present in every pair, including the new VELO. An innovative design meticulously built for optimal performance and foot biomechanics, this feature is engineered to provide an expansive area for toe spread, crucial for achieving a foundational base and balance during the golf swing. By aligning with the foot's natural mechanics, the patented toe box directly translates to improved balance, stability, and power transfer throughout the swing, showcasing SQAIRZ's commitment to fusing advanced biomechanical insights with performance-enhancing footwear technology. The patented toe box is not merely a comfort feature; it is a critical component for athletes seeking to optimize their performance metrics on the golf course, ensuring that every movement is supported by scientifically backed design principles. Verdict: Mostly True!  Let’s dig a layer deeper:

Ultimate Stability - AI-generated Smart Hybrid Traction system with over 290 points of ground contact. Arch support and shoe stability is second to none. No slipping or sliding in your shoe, no matter the lie. Verdict: True! So stable, that I actually developed a left shot bias that I had to adjust for, and no slippage was experienced under any turf conditions – wet or dry. I will say, the shoe generates a lot of confidence, and the energy transfer is something we all need from our golf shoes.

image.png.68a0bafb1a890a9311befaa8002df1f4.png

Cleat positions matter!

Greater Distance and accuracy - Testing the shoes against competitors shows increased distance of 12 to 16 yards. Distance Verdict - Partially True, I was longer by 3 yards. Hit longer, more accurately, and more consistently. This elevated security is thanks to VELO’s LaceLock™ system, which bolsters the staying power of SQAIRZ’s much-loved patented Sta-Put laces. I love the laces, but some testers experienced longevity issues with the nubs on the laces that make them stay put.

Testing also found that VELO can tighten dispersion by 30% and add up to 12 yards of distance. Verdict: Mostly True! I experienced more shot accuracy across the club lines tested from Driver to wedge, ranging from 1-2% more accurate to 6-7% more accurate!  Sounds small, but this is a big deal.  I did not see a longer distance impact that I felt was consistently measurable, but I have slower swing speeds – so your mileage may vary.

All-Day Comfort- Lightweight microfiber with engineered collar padding and NRG Foam midsoles. Walk 18 with no blisters or sweat. Verdict: Mostly True!  I experienced zero blisters and after about 2 rounds of break in, really enjoyed the shoe comfort.  On hot 80-degree days, I could still say my feet were warm inside the shoe. I may test one of the other shoes that offer more ventilation.

So ---this is a lot of data and a lot of claims.  Simplify it for me, Bill --- “What does Sqairz offer that your current shoe may be lacking?” For me it was accuracy, plain and simple.  I would never have guessed a shoe can help that much, but to get much smaller shot dispersion and really eliminate slices – that is saying something!! If you are a younger, faster swing golfer, I suspect distance gains are in your future as well.

Accuract Test of Puma Spikeless versus Sqairz Velo with driver:

I said I would compare the shoes and was really interested to test the stability claims of sqairz AND see if it translates to results.  The driver is my worst club in the bag, and I tend to spray it a bit (something for me to work on).  Early in the season, the results will be a bit worse - but here are the results!

image.png.208f71ea3edea6cefffd024cb6d0b01b.png

Sqairz Velo shoe and driving performance - what is immediately noticed is my left of green bias and it was surprising to me.  Is it a swing flaw that I need to work on? Maybe. I think it is actually the stability of the shoe, and a little more torque causing a different shot shape for me -> in some cases a sever hook!

image.png.81f0bd71d0c1eef1e27894a4a8b89767.png

The Puma Spikeless and driving performance - you see a more normal distribution (sorry math guy here) and that data matches my normal spray patterns. I could feel the ability to move my feet (not like Scottie) and although comfortable it does seem to cause less accuracy.

Results: Sqairz is more accurate to the range of 6-9%, left biased a good 10% more (and this is with me trying to correct path and stance). My first 30 hits were a whopping 80% left biased!

All in All -- I was impressed with this new pair of Sqairz Velo, and it makes me want to test the Speed and other lines as well.  As we all strive to improve our game, any advantage we can get, should be explored with vigor. These shoes, I will state from my testing, mostly lived up to their aggressive claims.

I will leave you with a simple test Bob recommended to me to test the stability a golf shoe offers: (My Puma shoes failed)

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

What a thorough review!  

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

11 hours ago, Rob Person said:

What a thorough review!  

Thanks I tried to make sure every aspect was covered from my experience and to help the person that may have a need for better dispersion control or who slices as I think it helps both!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

Final review posted (original post updated):

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 Max 9* (@8*) w. Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X //or// stock Denali 60g 6.5

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. Project X Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Currently Testing: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. Project X T Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 w. GolfPride Reverse Taper Pistol Med grip

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Great review @Indy_Oz !  I know some golf shoe companies send 2 pair of different color laces. At the price tag I hope they decide to do that in the future for instances like yours where there is a malfunction 

WITB-

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Great review @Indy_Oz !  I know some golf shoe companies send 2 pair of different color laces. At the price tag I hope they decide to do that in the future for instances like yours where there is a malfunction 

Thanks @Rob Person! Agreed, including a second pair would be nice.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2024 at 6:36 AM, Willie T said:

Hey testers- based in your review I purchased my first pair. Just walked my first 18 in the rain with them. 

odd question for you - do any of you feel where the cleats are at with the your feet?  I can feel where the cleats are located under the upper/outer ball of my feet just shy of my last two toes. Like I can almost grip down and around them. 

it’s not painful or any thing like that. I can just tell that’s where the cleat is. 

I was wondering if any of you experienced that - or if in a one-off - or maybe there is something up w the inserts - or maybe I’ve just got super sensitive feet…

Thanks

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

46 minutes ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Hey testers- based in your review I purchased my first pair. Just walked my first 18 in the rain with them. 

odd question for you - do any of you feel where the cleats are at with the your feet?  I can feel where the cleats are located under the upper/outer ball of my feet just shy of my last two toes. Like I can almost grip down and around them. 

it’s not painful or any thing like that. I can just tell that’s where the cleat is. 

I was wondering if any of you experienced that - or if in a one-off - or maybe there is something up w the inserts - or maybe I’ve just got super sensitive feet…

Thanks

I don’t really feel the location of the spikes on these (or other) Squairz shoes. However, I have orthotics installed in all of those shoes, including this pair of VELO shoes.

Incidentally, I just walked my 31st round of golf in the Squairz VELO shoes, and I am still loving them.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Thanks

The forefoot area/ midsole is pretty flexible and 'soft' and the stiffer/ firmer area is midfoot to heel.

Yes, I can feel the spikes in the forefoot area. Not much and I don't generally notice, but it is there. Other spiked shoes I've work (unless very rigid soles) were similar. I only notice them on firm ground and parking lot/ clubhouse etc.

I didn't highlight being able to feel the soft spikes in my review as it didn't occur to me or stand out after wearing them a couple of times.lol. I can feel some of the tread on my Adidas CodeChaos as well as a lot of ground contour and rocks, as those are very flexible soles. Some old New Balance golf shoes I used to wear I could feel the soft spikes at least as much as the Sqairz. The Ecco Biom I also own are rather stiff-soled, tso here's little chance of feeling much of the ground or tread.

Honestly, other than hard top/ cart paths and firm ground I don't notice the tread/ spikes at all and I find the Velo very comfortable. The more I wear them, the more the upper gives and the shoes as a whole break in... and the more comfortable they feel.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

1 hour ago, Indy_Oz said:

Yes, I can feel the spikes in the forefoot area. Not much and I don't generally notice, but it is there. Other spiked shoes I've work (unless very rigid soles) were similar. I only notice them on firm ground and parking lot/ clubhouse etc.

Thanks. Just glad to know I’m not alone. Or have a defective insert…

I’ve worn spikeless for at least the last ten years so this was a new sensation. Just checking. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

9 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

Thanks

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed that while out on the course. I do notice the feeling of the fleets of in on the cart path or walking to/from my car though, but I don’t notice it on the grass or sand. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

PXG 7 wood with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Mizuno S23 54 and 58 degree wedges

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

While I was on Leave(vacation) I got to talking with a good friend of mine who happens to to have picked up golf in the last year or so. His complaint was he couldn't find shoes that were wide enough for his feet. I told him about the SQAIRZ VELO shoes and to maybe look into them. showed him our reviews and he ordered a pair. I will have to ask him how he likes them when he get them in.

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

On 6/20/2024 at 11:09 PM, Indy_Oz said:

The forefoot area/ midsole is pretty flexible and 'soft' and the stiffer/ firmer area is midfoot to heel.

I didn't highlight being able to feel the soft spikes in my review as it didn't occur to me or stand out after wearing them a couple of times.lol. I can feel some of the tread on my Adidas CodeChaos as well as a lot of ground contour and rocks, as those are very flexible soles. Some old New Balance golf shoes I used to wear I could feel the soft spikes at least as much as the Sqairz. The Ecco Biom I also own are rather stiff-soled, tso here's little chance of feeling much of the ground or tread.

Honestly, other than hard top/ cart paths and firm ground I don't notice the tread/ spikes at all and I find the Velo very comfortable. The more I wear them, the more the upper gives and the shoes as a whole break in... and the more comfortable they feel.

I felt them at first but as I broke the shoe in they seemed to flatten a bit and I stopped feeling them.

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

On 6/26/2024 at 8:03 AM, Wheelieb said:

While I was on Leave(vacation) I got to talking with a good friend of mine who happens to to have picked up golf in the last year or so. His complaint was he couldn't find shoes that were wide enough for his feet. I told him about the SQAIRZ VELO shoes and to maybe look into them. showed him our reviews and he ordered a pair. I will have to ask him how he likes them when he get them in.

Does Sqairz have wide widths for those people that need?  For me, the toe box just allows more toe to ground contact.  

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

5 hours ago, billpierce said:

Does Sqairz have wide widths for those people that need?  For me, the toe box just allows more toe to ground contact.  

He and I wear the same shoe size and width. My wife likes to call m feet duck feet....I have plenty of room in mine with my feet, so I don't think he will have an issue either. To answer your question though, the SQAIRZ site does not show a wide shoe available for the Velo. I didn't check the others as We were testing the Velo and that's what he got. So if their other shoes have that, I couldn't say.

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

Great review @billpierce! I have been wearing Sqairz shoes exclusively since putting on my first pair in July 2020. I own just about every model of Sqairz shoes except for the Mesh and now the Velo. I do own a pair of both the Speed2 and ProS2, both 2024 models. Your review validates everything I have found Sqairz shoes to be. 

It is interesting that a buddy of mine who just had a hip replacement was told by his orthopedist, himself a golfer, to start wearing Sqairz for their balance, stability and traction. I recall when I had my knees replaced in 2014 that my orthopedist was very concerned about me falling on the golf course, slipping on wet grass, going up or down slopes, or getting in and out of bunkers. Had he known of Sqairz back then, I am sure he would have recommended them as well. I can honestly say I have never had a foot slip wearing Sqairz shoes!

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

Played 18 yesterday, and so did everyone else. I was trying to get out and play on the Cardinal course at Newport News Golf club. Was set to walk 18 until I saw the earliest tee time was around 11. I didn’t want to be walking in the dead of the heat so I got the 909 tee time on the Deer run course. Having not played in a bit I thought I’d see some horrid sprays all over. Pleasantly surprised that wasn’t the case really. I just wound up coming up short. Shoes did not really allow for breathability as in 90+ degree heat no shoe is going to really keep your feet from sweating. Grip on the ground still is unrivaled and shoes are still comfortable to wear. I look forward to wearing them out on the course to still get more data for the apps. 

Mizuno ST Max 3 wood

L.A.B. DF3 Putter

Posted (edited)

Just saw squairz released 2 limited edition red white and blue shoes for pre-release starting july 24th. They partnered with the VGA for these. 

https://sqairz.com/blogs/news/sqairz-announces-limited-edition-usa-themed-shoes-in-partnership-with-veteran-golfers-association

Screenshot_20240706_204715_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-

18 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Just saw squairz released 2 limited edition red white and blue shoes for pre-release starting july 24th. They partnered with the VGA for these. 

https://sqairz.com/blogs/news/sqairz-announces-limited-edition-usa-themed-shoes-in-partnership-with-veteran-golfers-association

Screenshot_20240706_204715_Chrome.jpg

Very subtle. Ha ha.

Now if they could do a Union Flag (🇬🇧) version in honor of their spokesman, Sir Nick Faldo, I'd be very tempted.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

Another 9 holes walked this morning and these Velo continue to be very comfortable shoes.

One thing I was worried about has started to show up. I roll onto the side of my left (lead) foot on my swing follow through. Always have. My old Ecco Biom midsole split on the outside due to this roll. Well, the sole/tread on the Sqairz Velo has started to separate from the midsole on my left shoe.

It's pretty small right now, so I've done nothing yet and I'm monitoring for rate of deterioration. Maybe I'm just doomed to most shoes doing this eventually. i've tried to open up my left foot and point my toes towards the target a lot more to see if that stops the rolling. It does to an extent, but I prefer how I swing the club with my left foot not pointing so much to target, except bunker shots and flop shots.

20435572-4EFB-4A85-A82E-2CC212F1B036_1_105_c.jpeg.0b567a115fa8ab57ab90cd7c8f6ff44e.jpeg

No notable deterioration yet- I've played at least 3x 9-hole rounds and 1x 18-hole round since first seeing this.

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

17 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Very subtle. Ha ha.

Now if they could do a Union Flag (🇬🇧) version in honor of their spokesman, Sir Nick Faldo, I'd be very tempted.

Too flashy for me

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png

18 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Another 9 holes walked this morning and these Velo continue to be very comfortable shoes.

One thing I was worried about has started to show up. I roll onto the side of my left (lead) foot on my swing follow through. Always have. My old Ecco Biom midsole split on the outside due to this roll. Well, the sole/tread on the Sqairz Velo has started to separate from the midsole on my left shoe.

It's pretty small right now, so I've done nothing yet and I'm monitoring for rate of deterioration. Maybe I'm just doomed to most shoes doing this eventually. i've tried to open up my left foot and point my toes towards the target a lot more to see if that stops the rolling. It does to an extent, but I prefer how I swing the club with my left foot not pointing so much to target, except bunker shots and flop shots.

20435572-4EFB-4A85-A82E-2CC212F1B036_1_105_c.jpeg.0b567a115fa8ab57ab90cd7c8f6ff44e.jpeg

No notable deterioration yet- I've played at least 3x 9-hole rounds and 1x 18-hole round since first seeing this.

I've heard a report that Scottie Scheffler has to get new shoes about every two weeks because of the way he rolls over on hie left foot. So, you are not alone, and it won't be just Sqairz that are affected by extreme foot-roll, as you pointed out with the Ecco Biome shoes you wore.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

36 minutes ago, PhilM75072 said:

I've heard a report that Scottie Scheffler has to get new shoes about every two weeks because of the way he rolls over on hie left foot. So, you are not alone, and it won't be just Sqairz that are affected by extreme foot-roll, as you pointed out with the Ecco Biome shoes you wore.

I bought Adidas CodeChaos for the tread wrapping round and up the sides for this reason. I bought them for indoor sim use and v hot days.

I prefer the stability and comfort of the Sqairz for walking rounds, but I’ll keep using the CodeChaos for practice sessions to make the Sqairz last as long as possible. 

Interesting that Scottie has to replace them that often. Not surprised given his swing mechanics! Would be nice to have a sponsor (or the income level) for it not to be a concern. Ha ha. 

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

On 7/4/2024 at 5:59 AM, PhilM75072 said:

Great review @billpierce! I have been wearing Sqairz shoes exclusively since putting on my first pair in July 2020. I own just about every model of Sqairz shoes except for the Mesh and now the Velo. I do own a pair of both the Speed2 and ProS2, both 2024 models. Your review validates everything I have found Sqairz shoes to be. 

It is interesting that a buddy of mine who just had a hip replacement was told by his orthopedist, himself a golfer, to start wearing Sqairz for their balance, stability and traction. I recall when I had my knees replaced in 2014 that my orthopedist was very concerned about me falling on the golf course, slipping on wet grass, going up or down slopes, or getting in and out of bunkers. Had he known of Sqairz back then, I am sure he would have recommended them as well. I can honestly say I have never had a foot slip wearing Sqairz shoes!

I have a friend with knee replacement and I recommended the shoes to allow him to swing slower and go for dead center contact. Gone are his days of speed!

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

image.png