What Shot Tracking System Do You Use?

2019 to today (5+ years) I have done stats on paper/excel.

Spring 2023 to today (14 months) I have done Arccos.

So far it has been a good learning tool to compare my current stats (6.5 index) to my best stats (5 index). Arccos breaks down your round into 4 folders (driving/approach/short game/putting) with subfolders from different yardages/distances.

I am not a big fan of practice, but with the data I can ask an instructor what areas to focus on that may make the biggest differences.

Truthfully when I was playing my best in 2023 I was playing frequently with 7-10 days maximum between rounds (all year round) and focusing on maximizing my GIR.

Justin

Phoenix AZ

Justin Houlihan

Phoenix AZ

I use Arccos. This is my second season with it. I was initially planning on only using it for one season with the free trial but it really changed the way I thought about playing various shots and holes. It also made me rethink my practice. There were rounds during which I thought my driver was trash only to look back to find out it was really just my short game. This kind of insight took me to the chipping green for practice when previously I would have just launched drives on the range. Overall I have been very happy with it.

Driver: Ping I25 9.5 degree stiff

Wood: Ping I25 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: Ping I15 3 Hybrid Stiff 4-W

Irons: Ping i230 blue dot True Temper steel stiff elevate shafts +.5

Wedges: Cleveland CG15 52 degree 12 bounce Cleveland CG15 56 degree 14 bounce Cleveland CG15 58 degree 12 bounce

Putter: Scotty Cameron Tryllium Newport

For years, I’ve been using GolfLogix/Premium (iPhone app) on course (distances w/wo slope, hazards, layouts, club suggestions, etc) & manual entry for ShotByShot/SBS (strokes gained) — As SBS was sold to SwingU, I’ve changed over to the SwingU app which provides both formats in one-app (with similar pricing). GolfLogix has been simple to use with accurate GPS information on yardages & club history/recommendation; easy editing; full color read/view screens. SBS had been the most informative in terms of identifying handicap-relative data relating to personal strengths/weaknesses — I’m expecting that SwingU shall provide similarly satisfactory results. That said, I’ve purchased both the Arccos & ShotScopeV5 systems — finding them lacking, specifically in ease of setup, use & editing. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

I use an Apple Watch and iPhone with GolfLogix

WITB:

Taylor Made SIM Max 10.5, Speeder 569 Evo-V S

Ping G425 15.5*, Speeder 569 Evo-V S

Ping G425 18*, Evenflow Blue 65 6.0

Ping G425 22* 4-hybrid, KBS Graphite Tour Prototype 80, S

Mizuno 921 SEL, Nippon 750 Wraptech S

Vokey SM8 50/54/60, Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5, 32"

I decided to get serious at attempting to improve my game last year, starting with permanently cementing 12' posts with a driving net in my back yard and purchasing a launch monitor and then progressing to using Arccos sensors for actual rounds.

I am a *huge* data junkie, so that is the part of these systems that interests me the most.  I just need to know every single little data point, even if it's more information than I might technically need to get better.

Arccos' dashboard is good, but slightly clunky when editing rounds for missed shots, etc. - and this seems to be a necessity after every round, as it doesn't pick up every shot properly.  Requiring your cell phone to be in your pocket, or having the "link" on your belt just doesn't fit my personal preference.  It might be an OCD quality - but if I have anything in my pockets large enough to feel while I golf, it throws me off mentally.

I won't dive too deeply into it, but it was also a bit of an annoyance when Arccos released a new "Link Pro" that doesn't require your cell phone, very shortly after purchasing the original link.  And the subscription model definitely leaves something to be desired.

I have purchased a Galaxy smart watch to try with the Arccos this year.  I'm hopeful that it will bridge a bit of the gap to making the use of Arccos' system a more fluid experience but am not holding my breath.

Regardless; I hope that whomever gets the chance to review the new Shot Scope V5 will do a real deep dive into the Shot Scope dashboard and all of the data and analytics provided.

• Ping G430 Max Driver
  • Takomo 101U #2 Driving Iron
  • Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Irons (5-GW)
  • Taylormade TP XFT Wedges (50, 54, 58)
  • Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 Putter

I use Arccos.  Not every putt or shot is captured…have to make some edits at end of round or each hole if paying attention.  The link pro is much better for registering where hole is.  Though I think they should be able to do it with software or offer free chips to the courses to attach to the flag.  The data is useful for distances, where your game is lagging, etc.  but you kind of know where you need to improve.  I previously used the Apple Watch with it.  That worked well, probably better for putts. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

Started with the Garmin Approach G12 and CT10 Club Sensors.  It was unreliable at picking up shots.  It was difficult to use on-course due to the very small screen.  It was a PITA to edit after the game.  I would not recommend the Garmin G12 or the CT10 sensors. 

I then moved to the Arccos system which uses my phone and their sensor tags.  It was easier to use on-course due to the phone app. rather than the little screen on the Garmin G12, but still unreliable at picking up shots, and then a PITA to edit after the game.  I do like to have some shot data, but found the Arccos system had way more information than I will ever want or need.  I would not recommend the Arccos system. 

I then moved to the SkyCaddie SX400 handheld, which has no club sensors but does allow you to easily measure shot distances and strokes/putts.  I REALLY like the display on the SkyCaddie devices.  It is so much brighter and colorful than any phone app.  The SkyCaddie devices are easy to use and provide a lot of useful information on the course.  If your eyes are getting older, you can easily see all of the information without having to put on glasses.  And I really like how it displays the courses.  I like to play different courses and the SkyCaddie is the best at letting you know how to play an unfamiliar course.  Unfortunately, I was not very good at remembering to measure my shots so I really missed that capability.  I expect to return to using the SkyCaddie after the imminent release of their new club sensors. 

I then moved to the Golf Pad phone app and their Golf Pad Tags.  Regardless of the price, and certainly when considering the price, the Golf Pad app and tags are pretty great.  The app is simple and useful.  The tags/clubs were easy to register on my phone before each shot.  Because the app can (optionally) give you verbal/vibrating feedback when you select a club, it was completely reliable, unlike the Garmin or Arccos systems.  I have actually been pretty happy with the Golf Pad system, and would certainly recommend it. 

Notes: 

I prefer using handheld GPS devices so I have no interest in trying out the ShotScope V5.

Maintaining and improving software is not cheap.  I strongly support paying an annual fee to keep the software updated.  Of all of the costs associated with Golf, it is very cheap.

SkyCaddie has announced the imminent release of their own club sensors that will work with their SkyCaddie handheld devices.  These sensors go well beyond the Garmin and Arccos sensors in providing swing data. 

Edited by Dean M
  • Driver: Ping G410
  • Hybrids & Fairway Woods: Ping G410
  • Irons: TaylorMade Sim2 Max
  • Wedges: Cleveland Smart Sole
  • Putter: Toulon Design Daytona
  • Ball: TaylorMade Tour Response
  • GPS:  Golf Pad with NFC Sensors

I have been using Golfshot for many years in different geographical locations around the world. I have recorded 622 rounds todate. Recently the application has included Strokes Gained analysis in addition to the traditional statistics of fairways hit, GIR, recovery and putts. I have also been very pleased with the technical support I have received, when requested. 

Enjoy Your Golf

Iain H

I've been tracking shots with a Garmin S70 watch that I got last year.  I've been quite happy with the accuracy of the GPS and like some of the features like the "Plays Like' function that factors in wind and elevation.  I also like the fact you can track shots for each club, although it can be annoying to have to select the club used, as sometimes I forget or fat-finger and pick the wrong club.  I just purchased the CT10 club sensors in order to alleviate the need to select the club used and to make the tracking more seamless.  I will be installing the sensors this week and can't wait to try them out on the course.

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

I have been a Garmin guys for years, tracking shots / clubs can be cumbersome and I am looking for a better technology.  I would love the opportunity to try the Shot Scope V5.

Shot scope. Watch and rangefinder. It really does allow me to make better choices on the course.

Driver: TM M2 10.5; FW: TM Sim Max 3/5; Hybrid: Cobra FMax 4/5; Irons: Adams A7 5-PW; Wedges: Tommy Armour 52,56,60; Putter: Tommy Armour Infusion Aero

I use Shot Scope V3 hoping to move up to the V5.  I've tried Arccoss and find the Shot Scope much better and more accurate.  I'ts helped reducce my handicap by three down to a 13.

Clubs:

Mizuno JPX 800 irons 6 to 9 plus four Mizuno wedges 48, 52, 56 & 60

Krank Element Driver 12.5 degrees

Krnak 3 wood

Tittlest 910 5 wood

Ping 23 degree hybrid

Ping 23 degree hybrid

Ping Ketsch Putter

Snell My Tour Balls

Right handed

Live in Chicago IL Area

19 Handicap

I use the Arccos sensors with the shot link. I’ve only used them on two rounds so far. I like them but they don’t register some of the shots I take and I have to manually edit them. I do like all the stats it keeps track of. I think once I’ve played enough rounds I’ll be able to focus on the areas that need the most improvement. 

I currently use a Golfshot subscription on an Apple Watch. Previously used Arcoss golf for two years but got Jack of the hike in annual subscription fees.

I play approximately 2 times a week on a variety of different courses, and would love to try out a system which provides better club distance data than Golfshot can provide.

I use the Rapsodo MLM system. The system is easy to setup and at a cost of around $300 it’s affordable. I use the system on the practice range. I have found that knowing how far I can hit each club invaluable on the golf course!

Playing golf is very important to me. I enjoy the integrity of the game!

I picked up a Garmin Approach S60 watch about 9 months ago now and love how much clearer it is to keep hold of my stats. There is a Garmin golf app that it links to on my phone which then keeps my old scorecards and stats. It can give insight on strokes gained, recoveries and a few more. It's been useful to see things be called out - i.e. if my chipping is declining, I pay more attention to it next time I go to the range. Only downside is that it doesn't track lots about putting. You enter how many putts you've had but nothing about distances/misses - this is one area I'd love to get more stats on.

Being able to look back and compare in one easy spot old cards and what I've been improving on is a big plus for me. 

:callaway-small: Callaway X 416
:mizuno-small: Hybrid 19° - JPX850
:cobra-small: Baffler 23° Hybrid
:mizuno-small: Irons - MPH4 5-PW
:vokey-small:SM7 54°
:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore Full-Face 50° & 58°
:odyssey-small: Tank 2 ball putter  

I use the Garmin S40. Not as detailed as the larger model (S70/80?) but provides good baseline data for clubs. Not much help around the greens but those shots are harder to track. Easy to use: hit ball, select which club you hit. As you gather more data, it starts to select a better club to start with. The Garmin app lets you adjust clubs used in round and shows you average, min, max data stats. If you don't correct your rounds afterwards, you end up with some crazy shots. I have a 158 yard average with my 7 iron but have a 412 yard shot recorded from somewhere. After taking lessons and gaining some distance and accuracy, I should figure out how to reset the numbers to come up with new stock yardages.

KC golfer up for an afternoon round.

Shotscope X5

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Started using golf pad and it has helped a lot since I haven't been playing long. Really like the suggested club feature and how it shows front, center and back of green distances. Also, the plays like distance is very helpful.

Callaway X Hot driver, 3 wood and hybrids. TP III irons

Using the Golfshot app. Originally loaded it to provide distances using GPS. It is as accurate as the rangefinders of any of the people I have played with. People have tried to prove me wrong & pull out their fancy, expensive devices, only to find their distances are within 1 or 2 yards of my free phone app. No need for other devices to break or lose! Tracks my score and emails it to me. All I need for now. 

Upgrades are available, for a fee, to provide all kinds feedback and club suggestions. As my game improves, I will make use of the available functionality.

IMG_2119.png

Ted Tedeschi

I have been an avid Arccos for the past 4yrs, actually just checked,  I logged my first round on 03May2020.  Before Arccos, I tried several other app based systems,  but was very excited about the automation of the data collection,  and more importantly the caddie feature.

I'm very accustomed to wearing a smartwatch when I golf,  and use it sparingly as the main interface is through my cell phone.   I have used a budget range finder in the past and would be very interested to utilize a top tier range finder,  against my Arccos system. 

I play a lot of different courses,  and I always download and preview the course ahead of time.   My biggest gripe with the Arccos system is that it favors iOS and I'm an android (Samsung) user,  so I am forced to keep my phone in my front pocket,  or pay additional money to use the Arccos Link, instead of  my phone.

I bought the Arccos system before it was subscription based, and I'm getting close to needing enough new sensors,  I will be forced into a subscription based membership,  as much of a fan boy as i am, I will look at all my options when I get to that point. 

Joel

My home course had a restructure / realignment a few years ago, with many of the apps not up to date.

Found 18 Birdies showed the new course, found that good, but didn't have club stats etc. Over time, the app did allow me to track shots myself as I could see how far to the green etc, so did get to know my distances etc, helped my shot making a lot.

Recently bought a new putter, a Cobra Vintage 2.0 Stingray, love it. It came with access to free Arrcos sensors. I bought the Link to go with it and use my Phone with the app. 

BRILLIANT!!!!!!

Great stats on avge distances, the "Caddie" that I can use, suggests what club I should use, based on my past rounds, really good.

WITB.

Tour Edge e723 irons, 4-SW, c523 Driver

TaylorMade Sim 3 wood, 

Cobra King Vintage Stingray 2.0 Putter

I have a Garmin S12 and S20.  Both are easy to use and good for getting basic yardages, which is just fine for on-the-course use.  But their app is pretty basic and I'd like something more more advanced stats tracking.

Driver: Tour Edge E722

Fairway Woods: Callaway Epic Flash

Irons: Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Sub 70

Putter: Sik Flo

I use a combination of Arccos and tracking by hand in a scoring template I built out in an app called Notion. Love Arccos for their quick stats that I get to see immediately after the round, but I take more detailed notes in my scoring template.

:cobra-small: Driver: RADSPEED 10.5°; Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
:callaway-small: 3W: Rogue; Aldila Synergy 60S
:cobra-small: 4H: RADSPEED 21° UST Recoil ESX 480 F4
:callaway-small: Irons: Apex 2021 (4-AW); Elevate 115S
:callaway-small: Wedges: JAWS RAW 54° (10S) and 60° (10)
:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2 
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV
:taylormade-small: 2024 TP5x

I’ve been using Arccos for about a year now. Got the sensors for free after buying a PING driver and decided to purchase the year membership. Have loved the feedback from the app. Only complaint is my Apple Watch tends to die before the round is over if I’m using it to track shots. 

Sometimes good, sometimes maybe s**t golfer.

I use both the shot  scope hand held and swingu app. It would be nice if shot scope gave play like distances. I like using the shot scope hand held with the sensors. I would love to see  how the Shot Scope Watch V5 measures up to the other devices.

Victor De La Rosa

Retired Firefighter