My Tournament Season: 2024

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Tournament 3 of the season is tomorrow. 

Tee time 8:36am and about an hour drive away. I am paired with two similar handicap players which should make things interesting. 

image.png

The course is one I am really excited to play. I have only ever played the front 9 before and it had a linksy type feel to it. There is also a par 6 on the course. Here is a bunch of screenshots and stuff from the strokesaver booked. I don't remember too much as I played early with a friend and we didn't take it too seriously. We were mainly just out there to catch up as we hadn't in some time. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.00.png

Looking at this I actually thought the green for the par 3 was the green for the first hole... this could be interesting. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.04.png

I do remember the second hole having a long line of OB on the right where the farmer fields start and a big tree that blocks the view right so going left is okay and going way left just leaves you in the fairway of I believe hole 8. I also remember the fourth hole as it wasn't a driver hole and I played a 5 iron or something. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.09.png

I actually also remember 5 and 6 because I really liked both. 5 was maybe my favorite hole and 6 was my first good chance at birdie living in Switzerland as I was pin high after two just in the rough and didn't capitalize... oh well!

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.13.png

7 was a hole where I probably could have taken driver or even should have and didn't. I was scared of the water and laid back.. too far back making the hole quite tough. 

8 I blew a drive way way left, but thats all I can recall. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.18.png

I finished with a par, it is a tricky and long par 3, but one that is getable. 

Now we get to the new stuff - so rather than recounting I will do my best to give some thoughts  on how I will play it which is a acting a bit as my round prep. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.25.png

10 Looks to my like driver all day. I don't need to worry about the water as that is 300 or so out. I am not hitting that. Even still that leaves me a long shot in for my second. That is okay, but seeing this here and now I can think lets try to make par and if a bogey happens that's okay. 

11 is the par 6 and not really sure how to tackle this. Definitely think take driver. Especially from the yellows. If that is the case then just make sure I make the fairway and take 7 wood for my next one or maybe 3 wood to try to push me as close to that 100 M marker. From there be smart and just play to the middle of the green. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.29.png

Short par 3. With a few backstops. No excuses to go short here. Play the distance and maybe an extra 5 yards to be safe. 

13 being a shorter par 4 means I can push things up where it opens up. The first two bunkers are not in play, but the third on the left is. With my fade being what it is and the DNE area make sure I play towards the right hand bunkers and if it fades back so be it. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.34.png

Another good length par 3. Doesn't look like too much trouble though. Just gap it properly and take the appreiate club. 

15 is another shorter par 4, but this looks to be a good 3 wood hole. Driver could run me through the fairway and on a hill of sorts. So playing to the 100 M marker is best. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.38.png

Well 16 just looks like it sucks... OB all down the right and a lake in a good landing area left. once again playing from the Yellows may help as it could take the lake out of play and offer some freedom to take driver. It is not a long par 5, but finding fairway here is going to be critical. 

17 looks fun, another shorter par 3 which could make for a birdie chance with a good pin?

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.44.png

HUGE different between yellow and white here. nearly 100 yard difference. So White is driver all day. Not a long par 4 from there, but from Yellow it is boarderline driveable. I think a lot will depend on how the round is going, but using a 3 wood here to be smart will be important. 

In the bag will be my Callaway PTD driver, Cobra F7 3 and 7 wood. Titleist irons, Toura 52, 56 degree wedges and 60 Vokey along with the RUNNER putter. Also going to bring and chip around with the Bridgestone Tour B X golf balls. Not sure if I will use them, but it will be those or the Vice Pro Plus that I normally use. 

Here is to what should be a fun round!

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.02.09.png

Good luck tomorrow…hit ‘em well!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Good luck!  Look forward to reading how it went!

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

9 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Tournament 3 of the season is tomorrow. 

Tee time 8:36am and about an hour drive away. I am paired with two similar handicap players which should make things interesting. 

image.png

The course is one I am really excited to play. I have only ever played the front 9 before and it had a linksy type feel to it. There is also a par 6 on the course. Here is a bunch of screenshots and stuff from the strokesaver booked. I don't remember too much as I played early with a friend and we didn't take it too seriously. We were mainly just out there to catch up as we hadn't in some time. 

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.00.png

Looking at this I actually thought the green for the par 3 was the green for the first hole... this could be interesting. 

I do remember the second hole having a long line of OB on the right where the farmer fields start and a big tree that blocks the view right so going left is okay and going way left just leaves you in the fairway of I believe hole 8. I also remember the fourth hole as it wasn't a driver hole and I played a 5 iron or something. 

I actually also remember 5 and 6 because I really liked both. 5 was maybe my favorite hole and 6 was my first good chance at birdie living in Switzerland as I was pin high after two just in the rough and didn't capitalize... oh well!

7 was a hole where I probably could have taken driver or even should have and didn't. I was scared of the water and laid back.. too far back making the hole quite tough. 

8 I blew a drive way way left, but thats all I can recall. 

I finished with a par, it is a tricky and long par 3, but one that is getable. 

Now we get to the new stuff - so rather than recounting I will do my best to give some thoughts  on how I will play it which is a acting a bit as my round prep. 

10 Looks to my like driver all day. I don't need to worry about the water as that is 300 or so out. I am not hitting that. Even still that leaves me a long shot in for my second. That is okay, but seeing this here and now I can think lets try to make par and if a bogey happens that's okay. 

11 is the par 6 and not really sure how to tackle this. Definitely think take driver. Especially from the yellows. If that is the case then just make sure I make the fairway and take 7 wood for my next one or maybe 3 wood to try to push me as close to that 100 M marker. From there be smart and just play to the middle of the green. 

Short par 3. With a few backstops. No excuses to go short here. Play the distance and maybe an extra 5 yards to be safe. 

13 being a shorter par 4 means I can push things up where it opens up. The first two bunkers are not in play, but the third on the left is. With my fade being what it is and the DNE area make sure I play towards the right hand bunkers and if it fades back so be it. 

Another good length par 3. Doesn't look like too much trouble though. Just gap it properly and take the appreiate club. 

15 is another shorter par 4, but this looks to be a good 3 wood hole. Driver could run me through the fairway and on a hill of sorts. So playing to the 100 M marker is best. 

Well 16 just looks like it sucks... OB all down the right and a lake in a good landing area left. once again playing from the Yellows may help as it could take the lake out of play and offer some freedom to take driver. It is not a long par 5, but finding fairway here is going to be critical. 

17 looks fun, another shorter par 3 which could make for a birdie chance with a good pin?

HUGE different between yellow and white here. nearly 100 yard difference. So White is driver all day. Not a long par 4 from there, but from Yellow it is boarderline driveable. I think a lot will depend on how the round is going, but using a 3 wood here to be smart will be important. 

In the bag will be my Callaway PTD driver, Cobra F7 3 and 7 wood. Titleist irons, Toura 52, 56 degree wedges and 60 Vokey along with the RUNNER putter. Also going to bring and chip around with the Bridgestone Tour B X golf balls. Not sure if I will use them, but it will be those or the Vice Pro Plus that I normally use. 

Here is to what should be a fun round!

Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.02.09.png

great for you to use those "strokesaver" books and screen shots, I use those as much as I can when I prepare for competition and I use google earth to try and get "lines" off the tee etc. all good stuff right there...

committed to performance excellence

Okay, a full day removed and now I can go through what was a great day, fun round with a lot of up and downs. 

I showed up about an hour early and got some range balls and checked in. Weather was nice and had a good warmup, but it was off mats so I didn't hit too many of fear for a boost in confidence on mats. I also put the Toura wedges into play and a new golf ball so I had to get some chipping and putting in. 

After the warmup I went and grabbed a coffee and snack and headed to the first tee. I was paired up with two members who insisted I go first off the tee... Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.00.png

Unfortunately while I drilled the center of the club head I also left the face a bit open and it drifted into the creek on the left. Lost the ball, which was weird because it is tiny and I should have been able to find it. Alas we didn't so being red staked I dropped. Played a wedge on to the green, but thin so had a long putt and made a good, but tentative lag putt. The end result was a bogey. Could have been far far worse. 

Hole 2 - played long and a slightly thin pull was safe, but in an awkward spot with everything running away from me. I played a safe chip that made the green, but didn't get a great look at par so another bogey, but to this point I was feeling okay. Speed on putts was decent and while I was 2 over, I had been playing smart avoiding any big numbers. 

The third hole is a beast - we were playing from whites and this one is just hard. The trees by the road block any offcenter drives to having chances at the green. I was a little left, but played up short of the right hand bunker towards the OB. A solid chip, but just missed putt meant another bogey on the cards. 

Hole 4 I had played from the yellows before and it played short. From whites it is a different beast. I hit a great drive that left me 130 or so into the green. A flushed shot, but right meant a green in reg, but a stupid tricky downhill breaking putt. I cozied it up to a foot and had a tap in for par. Yay!

At this point I am starting to gain more confidence. The driver is working and I am feeling good. Step up and lace another drive down the fairway just right of the bunker. There was a lot of wind so drives were affected a lot, but still a great position to be in... I think topped my next one and couldn't help but laugh. It sucked, but still made forward progress. The followup shot was lined for the pin, but just behind it and left a really hard putt. Another 2 putt bogey was the result and the first putt I never gave a chance. Way more break than I though and wow, not a green I would want to play. Hard to describe how tricky it and the pin was. 

Hole 6 was bad. I hit a okay drive but it started left and just hung there. which resulted in needing to take a provisional with the hay being in play. We did find my ball... although hindsight I wish I hadn't. It took me two massive whacks to get out of the crap and I was still 30 yards behind my provisional ball. Playing four I layed up with 6 iron then 8 iron to the green which somehow went long, skulled a chip to the front of the green before carding an 8. Good job Jamie!

That said, crap happens and the next hole is tricky, but fair. With OB left and water right it is tough, I played driver while the others played shorter clubs. The result was a weird spot near a sign that wasn't in the way of the swing, but mentally it was there. I miss clubbed and took one too little leaving me short on the front edge. Thankfully made a good up and down and walked away with par. 

Next par 5 is not a hard one, but wind was directly into our face. Also there is a stupid tree right in the middle of the fairway by the road. I hit a perfect drive, great second shot to 100 meters (110 yards) and pulled my approach shot again. Just off the fringe I had to chip due to the slopes and left myself a difficult putt that was an inch from dropping. So great start to the hole, but another bogey. 

A longer par 3 I took 7 wood and was just short of the green and a little right in the rough. I wish I had taken more time on the chip, but had been talking with the playing partners and rushed a bit. The chip was woeful and the resulting putt was worse blowing it by and carding a double. The first truly bad hole and it wasn't even that bad, I just stopped thinking for a few shots and it bit me. 

Onto the back 9! Wind at the back and annoyed by previous hole I ripped driver... and truly tagged one. It was a 320 yard bomb that was 60 yards passed my playing partners. Unfortunately there was a tree there and I had a completely blind shot to the green. Really weird setup if I am honest, but I dumped on into the bunker that stayed 3 inches to the lip. Splashed out, but had to chip from there. The putt I swear still went in but somehow cut across the hole like Rorys. 

The Par 6!  For starters would love to know how all of you would attack this hole. Again we played white so it is 728 yards long. The creek that you would need to clear is 260 or so carry. I hit a bunty driver close to the ridge then hit 3 wood up the left side and then another 3 wood to the back right portion of the green. The pin was tucked left and on a hill/ridge... short version bogey happened. Shouldn't have but i was a really bad first putt that was way too firm and the combacker I didn't give a real chance. 

Man I want to have 12 back. I made another bogey after hitting a beautiful 8 iron, but it went long and right. Which was weird still because it was heavy into a 1 or two club wind and I was tempted to go to 7. The pin was in a wonderful bowl left. The chip was good and well just a short putt that was again not a good effort. 

13 is a great hole and one I would like to play over and over. Standard fade to the middle of the fairway which had been common by this point and again I miss clubbed myself into the green taking a 9 when it was an 8 all day. Of course I was short and had an okay chip, but not good enough and missed a slippery putt. Bogey. 

14 is just a hellish hole. Long Par 3 with a wicked green. 7 wood again and hit it left about pin high, chip was shockingly poor and then 2 putt for another bogey. Small mistakes piling up. 

15 was another great hole similar to 13. This time I made good on it and made a par. Good drive, solid approach that was a bit short but just on and two putt for the par. How golf should be. 

16 offers the toughest teeshot on the course I think. The hole right side is OB and the left bale out area there is bushes and a pond. It kinda reminds me of the road hole at St Andrews where you hit over OB to the landing area. Stripped a drive, sliced a 3 wood behind some trees on the left for my second which kinda came out of nowhere. Then played over the trees just short of the green and made an up and down for par. 

17 Fun par 3 with cows playing in the background. I hit a solid tee shot to the middle of the green, but came up woefully short on the putt and and made par. 

From the backs the tee shot is tough! Bushes and trees on both sides block the view of the landing area and while it looks like there is room left there isn't. The right side is OB but a long ways right. I hit the center of the fairway and had another approach shot jump on me a bit right (another pull) and lipped up the putt after an okay chip. Bogey to finish. 

So a lot of really good things to draw off of. I played solid golf, but my putting was a true letdown. 

Now onto the next one!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Okay, a full day removed and now I can go through what was a great day, fun round with a lot of up and downs. 

I showed up about an hour early and got some range balls and checked in. Weather was nice and had a good warmup, but it was off mats so I didn't hit too many of fear for a boost in confidence on mats. I also put the Toura wedges into play and a new golf ball so I had to get some chipping and putting in. 

After the warmup I went and grabbed a coffee and snack and headed to the first tee. I was paired up with two members who insisted I go first off the tee... Screenshot 2024-06-15 21.03.00.png

Unfortunately while I drilled the center of the club head I also left the face a bit open and it drifted into the creek on the left. Lost the ball, which was weird because it is tiny and I should have been able to find it. Alas we didn't so being red staked I dropped. Played a wedge on to the green, but thin so had a long putt and made a good, but tentative lag putt. The end result was a bogey. Could have been far far worse. 

Hole 2 - played long and a slightly thin pull was safe, but in an awkward spot with everything running away from me. I played a safe chip that made the green, but didn't get a great look at par so another bogey, but to this point I was feeling okay. Speed on putts was decent and while I was 2 over, I had been playing smart avoiding any big numbers. 

The third hole is a beast - we were playing from whites and this one is just hard. The trees by the road block any offcenter drives to having chances at the green. I was a little left, but played up short of the right hand bunker towards the OB. A solid chip, but just missed putt meant another bogey on the cards. 

Hole 4 I had played from the yellows before and it played short. From whites it is a different beast. I hit a great drive that left me 130 or so into the green. A flushed shot, but right meant a green in reg, but a stupid tricky downhill breaking putt. I cozied it up to a foot and had a tap in for par. Yay!

At this point I am starting to gain more confidence. The driver is working and I am feeling good. Step up and lace another drive down the fairway just right of the bunker. There was a lot of wind so drives were affected a lot, but still a great position to be in... I think topped my next one and couldn't help but laugh. It sucked, but still made forward progress. The followup shot was lined for the pin, but just behind it and left a really hard putt. Another 2 putt bogey was the result and the first putt I never gave a chance. Way more break than I though and wow, not a green I would want to play. Hard to describe how tricky it and the pin was. 

Hole 6 was bad. I hit a okay drive but it started left and just hung there. which resulted in needing to take a provisional with the hay being in play. We did find my ball... although hindsight I wish I hadn't. It took me two massive whacks to get out of the crap and I was still 30 yards behind my provisional ball. Playing four I layed up with 6 iron then 8 iron to the green which somehow went long, skulled a chip to the front of the green before carding an 8. Good job Jamie!

That said, crap happens and the next hole is tricky, but fair. With OB left and water right it is tough, I played driver while the others played shorter clubs. The result was a weird spot near a sign that wasn't in the way of the swing, but mentally it was there. I miss clubbed and took one too little leaving me short on the front edge. Thankfully made a good up and down and walked away with par. 

Next par 5 is not a hard one, but wind was directly into our face. Also there is a stupid tree right in the middle of the fairway by the road. I hit a perfect drive, great second shot to 100 meters (110 yards) and pulled my approach shot again. Just off the fringe I had to chip due to the slopes and left myself a difficult putt that was an inch from dropping. So great start to the hole, but another bogey. 

A longer par 3 I took 7 wood and was just short of the green and a little right in the rough. I wish I had taken more time on the chip, but had been talking with the playing partners and rushed a bit. The chip was woeful and the resulting putt was worse blowing it by and carding a double. The first truly bad hole and it wasn't even that bad, I just stopped thinking for a few shots and it bit me. 

Onto the back 9! Wind at the back and annoyed by previous hole I ripped driver... and truly tagged one. It was a 320 yard bomb that was 60 yards passed my playing partners. Unfortunately there was a tree there and I had a completely blind shot to the green. Really weird setup if I am honest, but I dumped on into the bunker that stayed 3 inches to the lip. Splashed out, but had to chip from there. The putt I swear still went in but somehow cut across the hole like Rorys. 

The Par 6!  For starters would love to know how all of you would attack this hole. Again we played white so it is 728 yards long. The creek that you would need to clear is 260 or so carry. I hit a bunty driver close to the ridge then hit 3 wood up the left side and then another 3 wood to the back right portion of the green. The pin was tucked left and on a hill/ridge... short version bogey happened. Shouldn't have but i was a really bad first putt that was way too firm and the combacker I didn't give a real chance. 

Man I want to have 12 back. I made another bogey after hitting a beautiful 8 iron, but it went long and right. Which was weird still because it was heavy into a 1 or two club wind and I was tempted to go to 7. The pin was in a wonderful bowl left. The chip was good and well just a short putt that was again not a good effort. 

13 is a great hole and one I would like to play over and over. Standard fade to the middle of the fairway which had been common by this point and again I miss clubbed myself into the green taking a 9 when it was an 8 all day. Of course I was short and had an okay chip, but not good enough and missed a slippery putt. Bogey. 

14 is just a hellish hole. Long Par 3 with a wicked green. 7 wood again and hit it left about pin high, chip was shockingly poor and then 2 putt for another bogey. Small mistakes piling up. 

15 was another great hole similar to 13. This time I made good on it and made a par. Good drive, solid approach that was a bit short but just on and two putt for the par. How golf should be. 

16 offers the toughest teeshot on the course I think. The hole right side is OB and the left bale out area there is bushes and a pond. It kinda reminds me of the road hole at St Andrews where you hit over OB to the landing area. Stripped a drive, sliced a 3 wood behind some trees on the left for my second which kinda came out of nowhere. Then played over the trees just short of the green and made an up and down for par. 

17 Fun par 3 with cows playing in the background. I hit a solid tee shot to the middle of the green, but came up woefully short on the putt and and made par. 

From the backs the tee shot is tough! Bushes and trees on both sides block the view of the landing area and while it looks like there is room left there isn't. The right side is OB but a long ways right. I hit the center of the fairway and had another approach shot jump on me a bit right (another pull) and lipped up the putt after an okay chip. Bogey to finish. 

So a lot of really good things to draw off of. I played solid golf, but my putting was a true letdown. 

Now onto the next one!

Sounds like a great day and have plenty to look forward to the next tourney. 

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Now onto the next one!

Great and thorough description of a tournament round, thank you for that, keep at it, my only advice is to make sure you don't let a bad hole get you off your game plan ie. the drive you hit 60 yds past your playing partners because you were mad. tournament golf is all about staying to your plan, no matter what. I find this gives me the best results.

1 minute ago, Jim Shaw said:

Great and thorough description of a tournament round, thank you for that, keep at it, my only advice is to make sure you don't let a bad hole get you off your game plan ie. the drive you hit 60 yds past your playing partners because you were mad. tournament golf is all about staying to your plan, no matter what. I find this gives me the best results.

Thankfully that was my plan - hit driver anywhere and everywhere!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

There’s a par 6 in northern Virginia (Meadows Farms)

IMG_4978.jpeg.f9061172a44068a1a61f4873f5927138.jpeg
It has been a long time since I’ve played there, but it was an iron off the tee short of the first water, hit something across the water (long iron) but short of second water, then possibly go for green or layup again (depending on the outcome of the prior shots!)

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Excellent recap!  Moving forward will you make any adjustments to your strategies?

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

16 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

There’s a par 6 in northern Virginia (Meadows Farms)

IMG_4978.jpeg.f9061172a44068a1a61f4873f5927138.jpeg
It has been a long time since I’ve played there, but it was an iron off the tee short of the first water, hit something across the water (long iron) but short of second water, then possibly go for green or layup again (depending on the outcome of the prior shots!)

Gunsan, South Korea, has a par-7, 1097 (yes that's one thousand 97) yards and a par-6 at a puny 723.

Allegedly there was a 1007 yard hole at a course in Marquette, Michigan, but Gunsan seems to have topped the chase for longest/most ridiculous hole. As far as I can tell, Northern Michigan University bought that course in Marquette and completely redid it. So no more 1007.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

Funny the Forum being down was a little bit of a blessing. I normally check my phone during the round for forum stuff because well I do. This round however, I made sure to just leave the phone be and play the round. 

This was yet another course I have never played and didn't really have much time to look at the layout prior due to the Forum stuff. I had heard solid things about it and in my brief overview I noted a few things - from Whites there are some long holes and some real challenges which is great. It was also due to be really freaking hot so I was prepared to get tired leading down the stretch. Now we get to go into the breakdown of the round! (Truthfully I have really began to enjoy these).

I got there with a good enough time for warmup, but again didn't want to over work it. My prior round I felt tired and I ended up being lazy or just lackluster which led to some bad shots. I had a few new surprises in the bag for this round as well (more on that in another post later) and wanted to get enough of a feel with them. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.17 AM.png

First hole there is a ton of room left and not much at all right. I only saw a fade in warmup so that was what I was going to play. It faded a lot more than I had hoped and I ended up on a slight downslope in the bunker. The distance was a good 8 iron out, but I caught it a bit fat and left myself a chip for a potential up and down. This didn't happen and I missed a stupid short putt for bogey leading to a double. It was bad haha and now all I can do is laugh. 

Onto the next one. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.22 AM.png

Being a bit annoyed I got my driver turned around and laced a drive down the middle leaving only 130 yards out. This is where a little course knowledge would have helped. I was perfect hole high, but a little right on the left hand pin. The putt was a slippery downhill left putt. Thankfully no 3 putt this hole and a bounce back par on the cards. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.26 AM.png

This is a pretty special hole. It is long and the drive goes up a stupid amount. The drive was about 270 yards and in the middle of the fairway on a flat spot. I would say it goes up about 60 or more feet. The 3 wood I hit was solid for my second, but wasn't able to skip through the bunker and stayed right at the lip. I splashed it out and then hit a really good approach to about 12 feet, but wasn't able to convert the par. Bogey from a bit of nowhere, but to this point I was feeling really good. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.30 AM.png

This par 3 is one I would have liked back. I hit a skinny 7 wood to about hole high, but on the right side on a weird slope. The chip was maybe a C and took a big kick left which left a weird putt. The putt was okay, but missed and I missed another tap in. Put another double on the card. Ugh. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.34 AM.png

Another par 5 and another opportunity to bounce back. The drive was perfect and way down there. With a little wind at the back it was a near 300 yard drive and left me 195 meters in. Rather than laying up I was feeling confidence with the 7 wood and hit what I thought was a little short, but bounced onto the fringe. A good chip, but short left me a tap in and made birdie putt. A really really good hole. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.43 AM.png

6 is a tough hole. Where the bunker is there is a big mound and hitting it over you can catch a speedslot, but being into the win that is 260 yards to carry that. The drive was good, but level with the bunker leaving about 170 yards in. I took my 5 iron knowing it was into wind and ended up on the green below the hole with a 30 foot putt? The greens were fast and after leaving a few putts short I finally made one to the hole... and past the hole. The comeback putt was a roll short of falling. Bogey, but I would say a solid bogey still. 

Hole 7 is fun, hard and asks a lot of a golfer. The smart play is to take a 200 yard club or so. Play to the top and then have another 200 yard shot (ish) down to the green. The downslope is again 60 or so feet down. The downslope is playable so you can take driver, but it is a risk of rough and being on a weird angle. 

I took my 7 wood and played to the top, then took another 7 wood and was hole high, but left. A good up and down meant a nice par thanks to my playing partner who missed her putt left after it didn't break. Mine was along the same line and I was able to adjust because the putt didn't break nearly as much as either of us thought. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.47 AM.png

Hole 8 is a bit of a blur. I had forgotten my wedge and was just trying to get that sorted. My drive was left in a bunker, which was fine, a 6 iron to the front of the green meant I had another up and down opportunity. I wasn't quite able to convert and left the putt low, never really giving it a fair shake. The Bogey was what it was and I quickly turned to the next hole. 

Hole 9 is a nice par 3 that has some risk, but is getable. The pin was far right and after some shaky holes I played middle of the green and thats where it. I should have marked my distance for the closest to the pin as I think I would have won, but didn't. Either was a great putt just missed and walked off with a par. 

So after 9  I was 6 over, but feeling solid about it all. I was playing well enough and felt like there was still plenty of holes left to claw some stroked back. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.50 AM.png

Hole 10 is longer than than it says here. I hit a drive right (somehow someway), but in bounds I then hit a nice thin 7 wood to the back of the green just off. The chip was okay, but a little too aggressive and left a 12 or so foot comeback putt which I didn't make. Bogey to start, but not a bad bogey, some good shots just not great shots on a tough hole. 

Hole 11 is a risk reward that asks a lot off the tee. OB all down the right and massive hill and 4 foot high hay on the left going up hill. But the more you can take off the left the shorter your approach shot can be. A good drive left me a little 9 iron in, which was subsequently pulled and left yet another chip and putt. This time I slightly more tentative approach left me a 3 footer for par which I made! Yay!

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.01 AM.png

Hole 12 is a fun par 3, but again demanding. For some reason (don't ask) I felt it would play really well with a draw and that is what I tried. Pin was at the back so I thought the shape was safe and leave me a putt or something that would work with the contour of the hole and green. I pulled it a bit and was behind the green with a good lie, but impossible chip as everything ran away like crazy. The chip lipped out and ran 15 feet past after landing it just on the green. I was surprised, but oh well! The putt was right online, but short. Annoying, but still okay. No huge worries with a bogey after a small mental error. 

Hole 13 is maybe my favorite hole. It asks a lot off the tee if you want to go for it. You can hit an easy shot 200 or so and be left with an uphill semi blind shot, or take driver and risk the OB left and right. 

I took driver, because well why not? and was just in front of the left bunker leaving my about 80 yards to the pin. The ball was a bit above my feet and I took the wrong club with the 58 and it should have been a 54. Either way on the green about 20 feet short and 2 putter par. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.08 AM.png

The 14th hole is a straight forward par 5, but once again I made a bit of a bungle of it. Drive was stellar, but just a little left in the first cut. The 7 wood I hit next was fine, but the start line was way too far right. Knowing what I know now I could have gone miles left and left an easy chip and putt for birdie. Instead I was in a front bunker with a long bunker shot and could not pull a Bryson. I did however make a nice chip and putt for par to walk off happy, but also a bit of what could have been (both sides birdie and bogey). 

I really liked 15 what it asks of you. After all that I had been playing smart and playing my shape and worked to do the same thing, but hit it so far off the toe @GolfSpy BOSknows and ended up in the hazard. I was playing towards the OB and was the first drive where I just didn't get things in sequence well. So took the drop, played a 6 iron over and to 80 yards or so. This time took the proper club and left myself 8 footer for bogey... which still somehow didn't drop. Double on the cards and was a bit deflating, but things happen!

image.pngScreenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.13 AM.png

Hole 16 is a wow hole. It is not easy and the tee shot is semi blind. The line for those being aggressive is over the OB and can leave you a short iron into the green. The drive I hit was ripped, then with the downhill slope added in it went 330 yards. I was just in the rough and on a downslope but punched a 5 to about 30 yards? A decent chip left me a downhill right to left for birdie, but I made! Woohoo another birdie on the cards with the aggressive nature rewarded. 

Hole 17 is a 220 yard par 3 with trouble everywhere. I had seen this hole prior and decided to play it as a par 4 and not be stupid before the round even started. I took 7 wood and played over the biotop and inline with the bunker. I was not concerned with being in the bunker because the sand was good. A good up and down meant a par that felt like a birdie. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.20 AM.png

Oh 18- I want this hole back. That same toe miss came out and I left myself in the hazard. Really which I knew where it came from, but oh well. Thankfully where it crossed I could drop a little ways up and played a iron to the edge of the fairway and a really good wedge to 8 feet. Unfortunately I chickened out on the putter and left it short leaving me with a double to finish the round. Not the way I wanted, but still an 83 on the books and truthfully a really solid round. Thinking back the two doubles  were two missed tap ins and two errored drives which can be resolved and avoided in the future. 

Now the final part - How did I end up? There were 48 golfers in this tournament and ended up being 16 in my flight (I had thought it was 8, but was wrong and misread). The flight I was in had +3 to 15 handicaps. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.26.00 AM.png

That's a great 2nd place (Jasmine was also in my group) and for the first time one that I can honestly say I am happy with. It was an all new course and one with fast greens and weird lies. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.25.37 AM.pngr

Even cooler was that I managed to be 2nd place overall for the whole tournament! 

The group I was in was strokeplay from the back tees and the others were stableford. 

Now a bit of a break from golf to do some work and other things before ramping back up again in July. 

For my previous tournament I wrote about I finished 5th in my flight and middle of the pack overall. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Funny the Forum being down was a little bit of a blessing. I normally check my phone during the round for forum stuff because well I do. This round however, I made sure to just leave the phone be and play the round. 

This was yet another course I have never played and didn't really have much time to look at the layout prior due to the Forum stuff. I had heard solid things about it and in my brief overview I noted a few things - from Whites there are some long holes and some real challenges which is great. It was also due to be really freaking hot so I was prepared to get tired leading down the stretch. Now we get to go into the breakdown of the round! (Truthfully I have really began to enjoy these).

I got there with a good enough time for warmup, but again didn't want to over work it. My prior round I felt tired and I ended up being lazy or just lackluster which led to some bad shots. I had a few new surprises in the bag for this round as well (more on that in another post later) and wanted to get enough of a feel with them. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.17 AM.png

First hole there is a ton of room left and not much at all right. I only saw a fade in warmup so that was what I was going to play. It faded a lot more than I had hoped and I ended up on a slight downslope in the bunker. The distance was a good 8 iron out, but I caught it a bit fat and left myself a chip for a potential up and down. This didn't happen and I missed a stupid short putt for bogey leading to a double. It was bad haha and now all I can do is laugh. 

Onto the next one. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.22 AM.png

Being a bit annoyed I got my driver turned around and laced a drive down the middle leaving only 130 yards out. This is where a little course knowledge would have helped. I was perfect hole high, but a little right on the left hand pin. The putt was a slippery downhill left putt. Thankfully no 3 putt this hole and a bounce back par on the cards. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.26 AM.png

This is a pretty special hole. It is long and the drive goes up a stupid amount. The drive was about 270 yards and in the middle of the fairway on a flat spot. I would say it goes up about 60 or more feet. The 3 wood I hit was solid for my second, but wasn't able to skip through the bunker and stayed right at the lip. I splashed it out and then hit a really good approach to about 12 feet, but wasn't able to convert the par. Bogey from a bit of nowhere, but to this point I was feeling really good. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.30 AM.png

This par 3 is one I would have liked back. I hit a skinny 7 wood to about hole high, but on the right side on a weird slope. The chip was maybe a C and took a big kick left which left a weird putt. The putt was okay, but missed and I missed another tap in. Put another double on the card. Ugh. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.34 AM.png

Another par 5 and another opportunity to bounce back. The drive was perfect and way down there. With a little wind at the back it was a near 300 yard drive and left me 195 meters in. Rather than laying up I was feeling confidence with the 7 wood and hit what I thought was a little short, but bounced onto the fringe. A good chip, but short left me a tap in and made birdie putt. A really really good hole. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.43 AM.png

6 is a tough hole. Where the bunker is there is a big mound and hitting it over you can catch a speedslot, but being into the win that is 260 yards to carry that. The drive was good, but level with the bunker leaving about 170 yards in. I took my 5 iron knowing it was into wind and ended up on the green below the hole with a 30 foot putt? The greens were fast and after leaving a few putts short I finally made one to the hole... and past the hole. The comeback putt was a roll short of falling. Bogey, but I would say a solid bogey still. 

Hole 7 is fun, hard and asks a lot of a golfer. The smart play is to take a 200 yard club or so. Play to the top and then have another 200 yard shot (ish) down to the green. The downslope is again 60 or so feet down. The downslope is playable so you can take driver, but it is a risk of rough and being on a weird angle. 

I took my 7 wood and played to the top, then took another 7 wood and was hole high, but left. A good up and down meant a nice par thanks to my playing partner who missed her putt left after it didn't break. Mine was along the same line and I was able to adjust because the putt didn't break nearly as much as either of us thought. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.47 AM.png

Hole 8 is a bit of a blur. I had forgotten my wedge and was just trying to get that sorted. My drive was left in a bunker, which was fine, a 6 iron to the front of the green meant I had another up and down opportunity. I wasn't quite able to convert and left the putt low, never really giving it a fair shake. The Bogey was what it was and I quickly turned to the next hole. 

Hole 9 is a nice par 3 that has some risk, but is getable. The pin was far right and after some shaky holes I played middle of the green and thats where it. I should have marked my distance for the closest to the pin as I think I would have won, but didn't. Either was a great putt just missed and walked off with a par. 

So after 9  I was 6 over, but feeling solid about it all. I was playing well enough and felt like there was still plenty of holes left to claw some stroked back. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.27.50 AM.png

Hole 10 is longer than than it says here. I hit a drive right (somehow someway), but in bounds I then hit a nice thin 7 wood to the back of the green just off. The chip was okay, but a little too aggressive and left a 12 or so foot comeback putt which I didn't make. Bogey to start, but not a bad bogey, some good shots just not great shots on a tough hole. 

Hole 11 is a risk reward that asks a lot off the tee. OB all down the right and massive hill and 4 foot high hay on the left going up hill. But the more you can take off the left the shorter your approach shot can be. A good drive left me a little 9 iron in, which was subsequently pulled and left yet another chip and putt. This time I slightly more tentative approach left me a 3 footer for par which I made! Yay!

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.01 AM.png

Hole 12 is a fun par 3, but again demanding. For some reason (don't ask) I felt it would play really well with a draw and that is what I tried. Pin was at the back so I thought the shape was safe and leave me a putt or something that would work with the contour of the hole and green. I pulled it a bit and was behind the green with a good lie, but impossible chip as everything ran away like crazy. The chip lipped out and ran 15 feet past after landing it just on the green. I was surprised, but oh well! The putt was right online, but short. Annoying, but still okay. No huge worries with a bogey after a small mental error. 

Hole 13 is maybe my favorite hole. It asks a lot off the tee if you want to go for it. You can hit an easy shot 200 or so and be left with an uphill semi blind shot, or take driver and risk the OB left and right. 

I took driver, because well why not? and was just in front of the left bunker leaving my about 80 yards to the pin. The ball was a bit above my feet and I took the wrong club with the 58 and it should have been a 54. Either way on the green about 20 feet short and 2 putter par. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.08 AM.png

The 14th hole is a straight forward par 5, but once again I made a bit of a bungle of it. Drive was stellar, but just a little left in the first cut. The 7 wood I hit next was fine, but the start line was way too far right. Knowing what I know now I could have gone miles left and left an easy chip and putt for birdie. Instead I was in a front bunker with a long bunker shot and could not pull a Bryson. I did however make a nice chip and putt for par to walk off happy, but also a bit of what could have been (both sides birdie and bogey). 

I really liked 15 what it asks of you. After all that I had been playing smart and playing my shape and worked to do the same thing, but hit it so far off the toe @GolfSpy BOSknows and ended up in the hazard. I was playing towards the OB and was the first drive where I just didn't get things in sequence well. So took the drop, played a 6 iron over and to 80 yards or so. This time took the proper club and left myself 8 footer for bogey... which still somehow didn't drop. Double on the cards and was a bit deflating, but things happen!

image.pngScreenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.13 AM.png

Hole 16 is a wow hole. It is not easy and the tee shot is semi blind. The line for those being aggressive is over the OB and can leave you a short iron into the green. The drive I hit was ripped, then with the downhill slope added in it went 330 yards. I was just in the rough and on a downslope but punched a 5 to about 30 yards? A decent chip left me a downhill right to left for birdie, but I made! Woohoo another birdie on the cards with the aggressive nature rewarded. 

Hole 17 is a 220 yard par 3 with trouble everywhere. I had seen this hole prior and decided to play it as a par 4 and not be stupid before the round even started. I took 7 wood and played over the biotop and inline with the bunker. I was not concerned with being in the bunker because the sand was good. A good up and down meant a par that felt like a birdie. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.28.20 AM.png

Oh 18- I want this hole back. That same toe miss came out and I left myself in the hazard. Really which I knew where it came from, but oh well. Thankfully where it crossed I could drop a little ways up and played a iron to the edge of the fairway and a really good wedge to 8 feet. Unfortunately I chickened out on the putter and left it short leaving me with a double to finish the round. Not the way I wanted, but still an 83 on the books and truthfully a really solid round. Thinking back the two doubles  were two missed tap ins and two errored drives which can be resolved and avoided in the future. 

Now the final part - How did I end up? There were 48 golfers in this tournament and ended up being 16 in my flight (I had thought it was 8, but was wrong and misread). The flight I was in had +3 to 15 handicaps. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.26.00 AM.png

That's a great 2nd place (Jasmine was also in my group) and for the first time one that I can honestly say I am happy with. It was an all new course and one with fast greens and weird lies. 

Screenshot 2024-06-20 10.25.37 AM.pngr

Even cooler was that I managed to be 2nd place overall for the whole tournament! 

The group I was in was strokeplay from the back tees and the others were stableford. 

Now a bit of a break from golf to do some work and other things before ramping back up again in July. 

For my previous tournament I wrote about I finished 5th in my flight and middle of the pack overall. 

Congratulations on the top finish!!!

WITB-

Well I wasn't going to play in another event till July, but one came up at a course I am a bit familiar with and want another crack at June 30th. It is a little ways away, but has 27 holes and there is a good chance I play one of the 9s I haven't played before. 

My game feels in a decent spot and I want to take advantage of it. I'm not playing as well as I could, but there is enough there to keep me pushing forward to try and win one of these things. In truth i have done better than I would have thought already this season, so now to up my goals. 

The course is Waldkirch and it is a fun course with some challenging greens. Which brings me to putting. I have the LAB LINK coming, but likely not in time for this. The MEZZ is still in my head for a spot, but the RUNNER has pole position and in my two lead up rounds this week I am going to put the T Squared into play. I had a few bad misses with the RUNNER last time out and want to give the T Squared a fair shake. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

26 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Well I wasn't going to play in another event till July, but one came up at a course I am a bit familiar with and want another crack at June 30th. It is a little ways away, but has 27 holes and there is a good chance I play one of the 9s I haven't played before. 

My game feels in a decent spot and I want to take advantage of it. I'm not playing as well as I could, but there is enough there to keep me pushing forward to try and win one of these things. In truth i have done better than I would have thought already this season, so now to up my goals. 

The course is Waldkirch and it is a fun course with some challenging greens. Which brings me to putting. I have the LAB LINK coming, but likely not in time for this. The MEZZ is still in my head for a spot, but the RUNNER has pole position and in my two lead up rounds this week I am going to put the T Squared into play. I had a few bad misses with the RUNNER last time out and want to give the T Squared a fair shake. 

Good luck!  

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter

32 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

How much pre round practice do you give your putters when you swap? Is it just a "gotta feel it" decision to swap em?

Good luck on the next tourney!!!

WITB-

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

How much pre round practice do you give your putters when you swap? Is it just a "gotta feel it" decision to swap em?

Good luck on the next tourney!!!

I will be able to tell pretty quickly. I know the T Squared is not as hot as the RUNNER, so this could be a good or bad thing. I often come up short, but maybe with this being not as hot it will force me to be more aggressive which could help?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Good luck!

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Tournament four on the season is tomorrow or is it five? Yes, five. 

Another course I haven't played in entirety. With a schedule that could include some rain it will be interesting. 

I played this course last year, but they have 27 holes and near endless combinations. 

image.png

Seriously, that is a lot of different combinations of course to play. 

For this even it will be Green and black (second to last). 

image.png

image.png

Should be fun!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Have fun and good luck!

WITB-

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Another course I haven't played in entirety. With a schedule that could include some rain it will be interesting. 

I played this course last year, but they have 27 holes and near endless combinations. 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Should be fun!

Hit ‘em well @GolfSpy_APH!

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

13 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Should be fun!

go get em... you got this...

Was a very brief preview as i have felt a bit rushed and honestly overwhelmed recently. Too much going on and truly not enough time in the day to get everything done. 

So now at least I can do a better recap. I have played part of this course before. This is a 27 hole facility and the first 9 holes were 9 holes I had not played before. The second 9, was the first 9 of the tournament I played there last year. 

I had a little hiccup with the car and it not full charging at home, but this wasn't a big deal as I had a lot of time prior to the round starting. So I stopped at along the highway and grabbed a coffee and gipfili while I wait the 20 minutes to cap off the charge. 

Got to the course, checked in and went to the range. Things felt good, especially with irons and wedges. Putting was in a good state and driver was what it was. Nothing I was in love with, but had a consistent shape that I was getting familiar with. 

Tee off was at 9:00 am first group out and got there about 15 minutes prior to have some water and just chill, it was getting hot and sticky even though it was early. 

First hole was par 4, not overly long. This tournament was also from the one ups so I felt I could attack a little more. There was red stakes all up the left hand side so I took a start line well right and played a cut over the right side bunker and was just in the rough, but sitting up just fine. Had about 140 in and hit a great 9 iron, but left and was pin high just in the rough again. A okay chip left me 10 or so feet for par which I hit a great putt, but overread the break and slid by. Walked off with a bogey, but nothing I was too upset about. 

Second hole was a par 4 going the other way. Really tight and the whole left side this time was high hay grass that is an immediate re-tee. I did push my drive a bit left but flushed it and caught the fairway to only have about 90 yards in. I hit what I thought was a short chippy shot that ended up being 6 feet behind the flag. My playing partner was kind enough to give me a line on his putt and I made birdie to get back to level. 

Third hole is a long par 3, downhill and into wind. A severe slope and dual tier made this a tricky green to say the least. My tee shot with a 6 iron was a bit toe side, but cleared the front bunker and was front end of the green leaving my about a 30 or so foot hard breaking up hill putt. Sounds like fun? I ran it over the lip and just buy leaving me a 3 foot come back putt that was no joke 2 cups outside the hole. I didn't even give it a chance in truth and was a 3 putt bogey. Again didn't feel bad, was a good tee shot, good first putt and the second was was just tentative. Not the end of the world. 

Moving on to the fourth hole we get a brutal par 5. It is a double dog leg that goes up about 100 or more feet. It is brutal. I hit a drive to an opening... oh and the tee shot is elevated. It ran just through the fairway, but no worries really. A thin 8 iron to the top of the plateau left me about 100 yards in to the pin. I couldn't see the green and hit what I though was an okay shot, but it must have been well short and or checked up as it left me 18 ish feet for birdie. It sadly was not my best effort and short and left. However still what should have been a simple four foot putt for par I pulled and mark another bogey on the cards. 

Hole 5 is a longer par 3 with OB all left and high hay on the right. Another elevated tee shot and a ton of wind started to come into play. It was come hard of the left and I ended up drawing an iron that missed on the right side of the green. A good chip ran just into the fringe and made the 8 foot putt for par. Eventful, but felt like I got a stroke back from the last hole on that one. 

Hole 6 is you guessed it another elevated tee shot, but this time by about 100 feet. This par 4 has water on the right that was reachable and high hay left. The fairway pinches in at around 210 and is one of the harder hole on the course. My tee shot was pushed again a bit left and I thought went into the hay. I hit a provisional, but thankfully the first was safe by about 4 inches. The approach shot had the ball significantly above my feet and played it really as well as I could have with a PW that jumped through to the back edge just off the green. I great putt, but just a bit too much pace hit the flag and bounced off. Near birdie, but made another par. 

Hole 7 is a placement par 5 with again an elevated and blind tee shot. You could cut the corner left, but little reason to do so as the fairway is not overly wide and the risk is just too high. A 7 wood off the tee with a 6 iron lay up left my 65 yard chip shot... I bladed it over the green... lol. Thankfully not OB and was able to play it back on and two putt for a bogey. Dumb, but oh well that happens. 

Hole 8 was a disaster. I pulled my drive which was just weird and the ball was nowhere to be found. The provisional was in a bunker, then the woods, then the woods, then the fariway, to front edge to 2 putt for an 8 when all was said and done. Just a bad hole on what is marked as the toughest hole on the course. I still am annoyed as I should have been able to find the first tee shot, I saw it down but it just went missing entirely and was a bit rattled from that. 

Hole 9 is a (I am just realizing how many elevated tee shots there really are) par 3 down hill and down win. I took a full club less and just went through the green to the back rough with a back pin. Ended up hitting a beautiful little putting like chip shot that nearly holed out. A nice par after that disaster hole. 

Hole 10 is a fun, but placement par 4 as the fairway runs out at about 240. It then goes down to rough and a creek to the hardest green on the course IMO. My drive with 3 wood went just through the fairway, but in an okay spot with 110 yards. My gapwedge was perfectly struck, but a little right and left myself about 16 feet for birdie, the thing is the putt from where I was broke about 12 feet and there was just not was to properly commit to it. It was another 3 putt for bogey. I wish I had taken a photo of it, because my second putt when just past the hole on the right and almost came back down and into the hole. It is a wild green and one you ALWAYS want to be under the hole on. 

Hole 11 is a great par 3, shorter but offers a nice challenge with hay right and massive hill left. I hit one to about 16 feet and made a 2 putt. Left the birdie putt short and just didn't give it a real chance. 

Hole 12 is a longer par 5 that sweeps left before having a blind seocnd shot over a hill to a green that sits down but with bunkers guarding left and right. A great tee shot and second left me a flip wedge in. While I pulled the wedge just a bit it still left me with 8 or so feet for birdie which I made. Another solid hole and just smart playing. 

Hole 13 was across the road and another par 5. I had a 5 putt on this hole the last time around... don't ask... Similar to last time I hit a great drive and had 170 to the flag on my second, uphill and guarded right by trees and left by a slope that feeds to an OB area. Not fun. The 6 iron I hit caught the front bunker and well I hit a hosel rocket... yup. Over the green behind a tree. I made a 7 is the short version. In truth I had been a little caught up with the rain that had started and the bunkers being wet such just left me feeling a bit miffed. Maybe I should have hit 7 wood up or maybe layup, but I felt confident in the club and the shot so why not take it? Anyway onto the next. 

Hole 14 a par 3 (yup, elevated tee shot) where I thinned a iron into the left bunker with a fox running by the front of the green. Truly just an unacceptable shot. Walked away with a bogey. I'm not sure why the wind/rain bothered me or maybe it was just the process of getting the umbrella setup and all that which just knocked me out of rhythm, but I can for sure say I was annoyed. 

Hole 15 a par 4 began with a topped drive. At this point I just laughed, hit a great wood up to a good yardage before chunking my approach. When it happens it just happens. I did make a 2 putt for a double bogey. It was a pretty good putt as well. 

Hole 16 didn't feel like hole 16, the previous 3 holes went by so fast I dunno, was in a bit of a weird spot. Tee shot was perfect. It is blind over a hill on a dog leg right par 4. Driver is too much so I hit 3 wood to about 160 out. I will also say at this point my back was starting to feel it and I pulled my 6 iron into the hay. The second shot was into a bunker and ended up with triple. A good way to make bad scores in a hurry. 

Hole 17 is my favorite par 3 on this course. Longer and needs a good tee shot over some water with a bunker right. I hit my tee shot a bit right, but kicked left and left me with a putt for birdie that I hit well, but with the wrong speed. This  meant a par, but considering the stretch I had just gone though I was pretty thrilled with that. 

Finally 18. A final elevated tee shot (seriously I never realized how many of them there are till now). TONS of room left so I setup for a fade and just straight pulled on. Got caught behind some trees and not in a good spot. I did hit it over the trees to I dunno 40 yards? On the green and 2 putt for bogey. 

So all of this and I felt kinda bummed. I had played a really solid round through 12 holes and felt like my driver let me down in some spots with just a bit of a mystery as to where exactly it was going to be going. Of course there is the could have or should have but the resulting score was just a bit disappointing. I had a better round in me, but I did have some good shots and I did play solid. Not amazing, but solid enough throughout most the day. 

Funny thing is I had an hour drive home or so to think about it, see how I handled the weather and just things overall. I had a good meal there afterwards with the playing partners who both had okay rounds, the one guy better than the other, but being higher handicaps they were both very happy. 

As I pulled into the driveway and got out of the car to unload I got an email... I had somehow placed third overall. I guess that is one of the beautiful things about stableford. Birdies on tough holes and pars on tough holes can earn you points. 

So in a field of 48 golfers I had manged to place third overall Gross. 
image.png

Gross I was down the leaderboard, but still 4th in my flight. 

Funny how that works sometimes! 

So another one in the books and not sure when my next tournament will be or where, but I am itching to get back out and play more and get better. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

• 2 weeks later...

Off to a new course today. Golf club Ybrig

https://www.golfybrig.ch/

This course has been on my list for some time to play and is only fully open certain days as they do a lot of military testing in the area that closes off 9 of the holes. 

Unfortunately today looks like a decent amount of rain so got my Galway Bay gear packed, umbrella ready and more. In my flight there is a 34 handicap and 18 handicap so a little different than normal. I will admit in tournaments I enjoy playing with lower handicaps more as while it shouldn't matter when I see others playing well and good shots it leads to me elevating my game a bit. Not saying that I play down to my group, but I think we all enjoy when everyone is playing really well and going low. 

The course looks stunning which is a big part as to why I want to play here. The course looks challenging as well with potentially a few driveable holes and several that will require more precision shots off the tee. 

In the bag for this tournament is my Callaway Paradym driver (won't be in the main bag much longer with the GT coming). 
Cobra F7 3 wood and 7 wood. 
Mizuno MP25 irons while the TItleist get reshafted still. 
Vokey 45,49,53,57 wedges
LAB LINK putter. 

Confident with this bag for sure, especially the woods, wedges and putter. 
Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.40 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.05.31 AM.png

Not sure if we are playing off White or Yellow. Don't think it really matters either as the course is not overly long. 

image.png

So let's get into the holes and gameplan! 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.47 AM.png

Looks like a pretty standard par 4. Likely be driver, but could also be 3 wood off the first tee. No real trouble around the green so keeping things simple and stress free will be the key on the first hole to getting off to a solid start. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.51 AM.png

Pin placement will be important, but a short 3 will be another fun hole. I will probably take an extra half club just to be on the safe side. Depending on the tee that is going to be one of my wedges. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.55 AM.png

Hardest rated hole seems like a interesting fit after two seemingly easy early holes. Driver then a smart approach shot will be important and trying to error a bit right on the approach shot. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.09.59 AM.png

A long par 3 if we are from the whites, again not a ton of trouble. looks like a long a narrow green so some room front to back, but doesn't look as easy as the hcp would suggest. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.03 AM.png

Shorter 4, nice larger landing area about 210 meters so 3 wood will be the play here. Approach should be simple enough, just keep it in the fairway. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.07 AM.png

First par 5 with OB left. Avoid that and play it simple. Have a solid drive in the fairway could lead to a green in 2, but first find the fairway. Bunker in the front isn't a terrible spot I don't imagine at first glance. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.10 AM.png

Short 4, I think it will depend on the pin and feel but 7 wood, 3 wood or even driver could be an option. Again find the fairway, play it simple and make a good approach for potential birdie or simple two putt par. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.13 AM.png

Another short par 3, trouble short and left so take an extra club and be smart with the yardage. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.17 AM.png

Red stakes run along the right side with landing area opening up at 210 ish. A solid drive can lead to a good scoring opportunity. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.20 AM.png

This is a driver hole even though a shorter par 5. As the hole goes the OB fades off so getting the drive down will be important. Narrowing towards the green mean play it in 3 and just be simple about things. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.24 AM.png

A shorter 4 again, looks like playing a 220 or so shot off the tee would be ideal. Running long can lead to bunkers. 3 wood time!

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.27 AM.png

Well this hole looks like trouble. Definitely driver and then a brave second shot. Take an extra club as long is okay, short is not what we want here. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.30 AM.png

A good length par 3, not really any bail out area (sensing a bit of a theme) so again extra club can and will be necessary. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.34 AM.png

Par 5 to what looks like an elevated green. Driver will be good here and then second shot 7 wood or 4 wood leaving a wedge in hand for the approach. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.37 AM.png

The easiest par 3 and hole ont he course apparently. OB long and left and bunkers surrounding... play smart get a good yardage and just try to hit the middle of the green. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.41 AM.png

Finishing stretch with another short 4. 3 wood is the call here with OB left and just make a fairway and have a chip shot in. 

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.44 AM.png

If 3 wood has been kind then it may be another 3 wood here. Could leave 8 iron into the green. Driver would be idea as it would take that bunker out of play though....

Screenshot 2024-07-13 6.10.48 AM.png

Again depends on the tees but either driver or 3 wood placement shot and have a wedge in hand for the final hole. 

Overall looks like a fun course with some different challenges... now time to get the bag ready, hop in the car and get to the range!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Hoping we both play well at our tournaments today! You undoubtedly will, me not so much (Brora Golf Club, if you missed my post at GMT).

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

Good luck today!  Hot em well, amd most importantly,  have fun!

WITB-