Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

Standard length or Shorten your Driver

FAquino

Not sure what you mean by a “more comfortable length”  I Cut down to fit my swing and improve face contact location.  It’s no more “comfortable” than an off the rack length. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agreed with @cnosil, "comfortable length" is going to vary by golfer. I've tried cutting down drivers a few times in the past, almost none gave me any more distance or forgiveness. My driver fitting last year showed that the standard off the rack length was perfect for me at 5'11". 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

Not sure what you mean by a “more comfortable length”  I Cut down to fit my swing and improve face contact location.  It’s no more “comfortable” than an off the rack length. 

It sounds like you know what I mean by comfortable, most guys I talk to use it off the rack and don’t think about having to cut it down, they struggle trying to hit a club that is to long. So comfortable would be to your height or swing style. Comfortable is not a general term or to be taken literally.

55 minutes ago, FAquino said:

It sounds like you know what I mean by comfortable, most guys I talk to use it off the rack and don’t think about having to cut it down, they struggle trying to hit a club that is to long. So comfortable would be to your height or swing style. Comfortable is not a general term or to be taken literally.

I’d say your question is do you we use off the rack length or do we  fit the shaft length to our swing; which could be the default length.   There are many times that I am not “comfortable” when I swing a club; which I believe is more of a mental focus thing 🤪.  That’s why I asked for clarification of the meaning of comfortable.   

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, FAquino said:

Most people have terrible swings and even if they cut the driver down it’s not going to improve contact point in the face or their swing.

comfortable is probably not the way to describe it. What’s better is fit to one’s swing with both shaft and head design to include shaft weight, cog of the driver, length, overall weight

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, FAquino said:

Let’s not turn this forum into bashing what people say I’m sure everyone here is at all different skill levels and some might be learning and some are very experienced 

Nobody is bashing what anyone is saying, but rather clarifying things so that everyone is on the same page in the discussion

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

pretty much all of my driver fittings have me in a 44.5 in driver. I wish I could swing a 46" driver with some consistent face contact. I'd probably get a little more distance but I'm usually all over the face at that length. I think 45 and 46 are now the OTR lengths...

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

2 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

pretty much all of my driver fittings have me in a 44.5 in driver. I wish I could swing a 46" driver with some consistent face contact. I'd probably get a little more distance but I'm usually all over the face at that length. I think 45 and 46 are now the OTR lengths...

I’ve shortened all my drivers to 45” and am having so much better contact and dispersion numbers. I even have a 44” and another shaft to make another at 44”. I haven’t lost any distance. I’m so much happier with my drives. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft; I TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Newton 5 Dot 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

Irons: New Level 6-PW 902PD 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 48, 52; TaylorMade MG4 56* (TW Grind)

Putter: SeeMore Black MiniGiant

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X or Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I'm barely 5'7" so when the fitter I was using said we were cutting it down, I had no issues about it. I'm right on the line of having to cut down some other clubs as well, but I manage. The standard length for the driver I was looking at was 45.75" which was the QI10 and Stealth2. We went to 44.5" and it made a really big difference for me and my swing. The driver and 3 wood still feel awkward for me, but the results are much better. I don't get a comfy swing until I get down to my 5 iron. I've just gotten used to it. I lost a whopping 1mph swing speed. But the trade off was more center face contact. Which resulted in a lot more yardage. I made up the speed difference by speed training for a couple of months. I'm still doing the training but it's slow gains at this point. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

This is a solid topic and I believe everyone should cut down there driver honestly... Unless your THAT good!

I don't think height or wrist to floor matter personally... All about contact and ball flight with the players swing at that time AND yes this can change as you grow as a player. Again my opinion and I'm no expert!

I'm 6'2" with a wrist to floor that is right on the verge of +3 upright(PING chart). When I started I played OTS club lengths in driver. Not till recently did I shorten my driver & 3w when I tried a 3w shaft in my driver and noticed the contact was immensely better thru the round!

I now play 44.5" Driver & 42" 3w. I have been debating on going 44" or 44.25" Driver but this seems to be the fine line of club speed/distance lost vs accuracy

DRIVER  CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Ai SMOKE MAX D w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65-S 10.5*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 75-S 15*

SUPER HYBRID CALLAWAY.png.02d1ed01b3f95aaceb59b33edf1d6f2d.png Paradym Super Hybrid w/ UST Recoil DART 75-S 18*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 75-S 22*

IRONMIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 5i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105-S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115-W 48*/52*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

Check out my Tests...

I've had better luck with 44.5" playing length, but keeping the swing weight "stock" with heavier weights if needed.  

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

I consistently cut my driver length to 45". It doesn't help that I'm a little vertically challenged and stand only 5'3". However, I believe that most golfers would benefit from this. It is something that I encourage when a customer comes to me inquiring and interested in doing so. 

It just helps with better ball contact with minimal, if any, loss in clubhead speed/distance.

I went to 44.75 inches this past year and liked it. But now that I’m practicing more, I went to 45.75 inches, gained about 3mph clubhead speed, and no change is contact or dispersion. I’m 6’1”. I think I’m going to commit to the 45.75 length and go mini driver for a 2nd option of the tee. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx (45.75in)
5 wood - Cobra Darkspeed
7 Wood - Cobra Darkspeed
9 Wood - Ping G430 Max
6 - Approach - Cobra Forged Tec One Length (LA Golf shafts)
52, 56, 60 - Cobra Snakebite One Length (LA Golf shafts)
Putter - L.A.B. DF2.1 Armlock (LA Golf shaft)

Posted (edited)

I go with stock driver length, always have. It's been the best club in my bag since I started playing.

I once had it shortened on the recommendation of a fitter and it totally screwed up my timing & strike - never again!

Edited by Wakit300

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

7 hours ago, bellken said:

I ordered a Qi10 a half inch shorter than stock length. I am not sure, I am more consistent with it versus stock length, but, it fits into my car better. 

I get that.  It's a trick to get a 46" driver into the trunk of my Miata.  I play 44.5".  It might be a bit better for finding the center of the face versus stock, but I change so much day to day its hard to tell.

I currently have mine at 44.75. I have played as short as 44.5.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I was fit for my drivers and I play 45-1/2” .  No trouble with consistent center contact.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

My driver is currently sitting at the stock 45.5” length but now I’m starting to get curious about it. I would be willing to give up a little distance to tighten up the dispersion a touch. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 5/8/2024 at 2:13 PM, cnosil said:

I’d say your question is do you we use off the rack length or do we  fit the shaft length to our swing; which could be the default length.   There are many times that I am not “comfortable” when I swing a club; which I believe is more of a mental focus thing 🤪.  That’s why I asked for clarification of the meaning of comfortable.   

So you’re just repeating what I said 

Thanks Tips

My standard driver which is a Sim2 Max is 45.75” I kept hitting the ball off the heel of the head. I purchased a new Shaft 10 grams heavier had it cut to 44”. Because it was heavier it shouldn’t have to change the swing weights, played my first round yesterday and definitely noticed a lot more consistent ball strikes and centred on the club face. So now I’m a believer to get club’s sized to you and not use of the Rack. Also I talked to a couple of guys who are over 6’3” they have some clubs lengthened so it makes perfect sense. I thought about it like hockey sticks everyone cuts it to fit them why wouldn’t golf clubs be the same.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, FAquino said:

So you’re just repeating what I said 

Thanks Tips

Nope, just stating my interpretation of what I think you said since they way your phrased your questions didn't make sense to me.   If it repeats what you meant to say then yes it may seem like I repeated but I want to make sure I answer your specific question.   I still content "comfortable" is a mental aspect of the game and a person could be "comfortable" with ill fitted clubs or something that just looks good.   Comfort does not always equate to performance.   I adjust clubs for performance not comfort.  

Edited by cnosil