Highest Compression Ball?

I got gifted some Nitros by a family member who isn’t a golfer. I was trying to think about what I could use them for and started thinking about using them in a scramble. I’m usually the big hitter in the group so I was thinking they might be good for that. 

Then I started thinking, what’s the highest compression ball? Based on MGS tests there’s a strong correlation between compression so my thought is that a rock (Nitro) might fit the bill. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I think it might be the Pro v1x left dash (102) or maybe the new Wilson staff x (?).  There should be a lovely comparison tool on the site.

That said, the feel and sound of a ball doesn’t always align with the tested compression. For example the pinnacle range ball tested at 95. I think the cover being thick and not urethane has a big impact on feel. 

Lastly, compression is more closely correlated to ball speed, which is only one part of many which impacts total distance—aerodynamics and spin play a huge part. So I’m doubtful the nitro is longer or even as long as any of the standard tour balls.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

The highest compression 2-piece ionomer ball that MGS has published is the Pinnacle Range at 95 on the ATTI scale and that is mainly for durability since range balls are hit a lot more times than a typical ball. There may be something out there higher than that, but not with any of the big 5 manufacturers. 

Most of the 2-piece ionomer covered balls on the market are below 80 compression as the target market for these tend to favor soft feel and the lower core compression tends to make up for the firmer/thicker covers (which tend to make them feel harder than they actually are). 

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

Nitros are great for scrambles. I have some Mizuno that are rocks and you can bomb off the tee. Terrible for anything else, but scrambles work. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

15 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Nitros are great for scrambles. I have some Mizuno that are rocks and you can bomb off the tee. Terrible for anything else, but scrambles work. 

That’s what my thought was haha. MGS doesn’t test these so I want sure. I know some long drivers use nitros so I was curious to see. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The ProV1x Left Dash is the highest compression/hardest ball I’ve played and I couldn’t imagine any balls topping that. You can bomb it off the tee but hitting irons and wedges with it is not fun, even as a higher swing speed player. I still felt like I couldn’t compress the ball. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: 2023 ProV1x / 2024 Vice Pro Plus

In MGS testing left dash and V1X go the furthest but I also see long drivers using volvik and nitro. I’m just looking for something I can really bomb on scrambles as I can switch out the ball for the rest of my shots. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

On 5/21/2024 at 10:32 AM, Tsecor said:

The left dash is the highest compression but the regular V1X goes further on robot testing.....

Depends on the swing conditions. In the 2023 test, the Left Dash had slightly longer carry at the 85 and 115 mph conditions but a little over a yard shorter  at the 100 mph condition. The variance is close enough that a change to the AOA could flip the results so there is no universal “this ball is longer than that ball” here. 

On 5/21/2024 at 11:30 AM, aguybadatgolf said:

In MGS testing left dash and V1X go the furthest but I also see long drivers using volvik and nitro. I’m just looking for something I can really bomb on scrambles as I can switch out the ball for the rest of my shots. 

Official LDA/WLD events over the years have used a single sponsored ball that is usually a high compression 2-piece ionomer covered ball. The various changes over the years (Acushnet with the Pinnacle Gold for years, then DSG with the Slazenger Raw and Top Flite Bomb, then Volvik with the Vivid XT, and now Bridgestone with the e9) have simply been based on sponsorship (aka money), not necessarily performance.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, storm319 said:

Official LDA/WLD events over the years have used a single sponsored ball that is usually a high compression 2-piece ionomer covered ball. The various changes over the years (Acushnet with the Pinnacle Gold for years, then DSG with the Slazenger Raw and Top Flite Bomb, then Volvik with the Vivid XT, and now Bridgestone with the e9) have simply been based on sponsorship (aka money), not necessarily performance.

That’s good to know. I’m curious about trying a couple of these 2 pice “long drive” balls. I read the e9 was designed working with long drive players but it has a pretty low compression which I don’t quite understand haha. 

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

2 hours ago, storm319 said:

Depends on the swing conditions. In the 2023 test, the Left Dash had slightly longer carry at the 85 and 115 mph conditions but a little over a yard shorter  at the 100 mph condition. The variance is close enough that a change to the AOA could flip the results so there is no universal “this ball is longer than that ball” here. 

Yea, these balls are so close its negligible. I think with the spin characteristics, the V1x is probably the better all-around ball but obviously that depends on the player