Garmin S70 Health and Tracking - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below.
@revkev - Main Post 

@cburins - Main Post 

@Corentin Vadillo - Main Post 

@NubianRugby - Main Post

12 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

Question for all testers - @revkev @cburins @CorentinV @NubianRugby and @GolfSpy_APH.

Have you had any issues with the watch sensor rubbing your skin badly on the wrist?

I've had Garmin, Polar, Fitbit, among other watches that had the sensor stick out enough and eventually rub my wrist such that it caused redness and overall discomfort to the point I had to take it off for several days. I don't wear my watch super tight, just tight enough it doesn't flop around. Thanks.

No issue on my side. Wearing the watch 24/7 without any redness. I sometimes have to adapt the tightness of the band depending the temperature, humidity and activities (golf, running, chilling…). 

Corentin | Québec City, QC - B2 Golf member 🇨🇦
Average Quebec-based golfer on a quest to refine skills and deepen golfing knowledge

📊 Golfing Stats: Handicap 14.7 | Best Round 84 | Trackman Handicap 6.2
⛳ Favorite Courses: Celebration, Orlando (FL) | Club de Golf Orléans, St-Pétronille (QC, Canada) | La Tempête, Lévis (QC, Canada)
🎒 WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 9º - HZRDUS Smoke Black stiff shaft 
  • Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 3W & 5W - HZRDUS Smoke Red stiff shaft 
  • Irons: TaylorMade Stealth (5i to Gap Wedge) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Wedges: Titleist SM10 Chrome (52º12F, 56°12D & 60º08M) - Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shaft 
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Super Select 2.5+ - stock steel shaft 
  • Bag: Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black 
  • Ball: Titleist Pro V1 | Titleist Velocity
  • Tracking system : Arccos Gen3. + Arccos Link Pro 

🎓 Golf Instructor: Alex Shattuck (TGRe)
🔎 Tests & Reviews :

Passionate about all things golf. Here to learn, share, and test the limits of my game.
Let's make every shot count! 🎯

30 minutes ago, CorentinV said:

No issue on my side. Wearing the watch 24/7 without any redness. I sometimes have to adapt the tightness of the band depending the temperature, humidity and activities (golf, running, chilling…). 

I wear it daily, even when not playing Golf. Have not had an issue with skin irritation or occurrence of redness.

Driver - Ping 430Max

Fairway Woods - Taylor Made 3&5

Irons - Takomo 201s

Wedges - Takomo Skyforgers

Putter - Odyssey Ai One CH

IMG_0722.jpeg.cc83ea19757b14fa2f3333e2acbf8165.jpegIMG_0721.jpeg.8944a226658948f90b6d969238d573da.jpegHighest training readiness score and first time over 50 on body battery in sometime. Unfortunately I don’t believe that I got an accurate sleep score - it was in the 50’s but I was shorted 3 hours. I legimately got over 7 hours of sleep for the first time since we started this test. 

Its interesting to me that I am starting to be able to predict what these scores will be after waking up or during the day fairly accurately up to and including heart rate.

I’m curious as to whether or not my other testing teammates are experiencing the same thing. 

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Body Battery vs. Performance

For this review I wanted to compare Body Battery to Performance.

Below are my last 5 round with Body Battery and Score:

Screenshot2024-07-05at1_05_55PM.png.fcda2eb8d1f7f237b177becde043830e.png

Well as you can see my lowest round this year was also done on my lowest body battery. Do I think there is a correlation of Body Battery to Performance? No, but do I think the body Battery can inform you on overall health to correlate to performance? Yes.

I think what’s beneficial to performance is the tracking features on the Garmin Golf App as the Body Battery is what’s beneficial to overall health. I’ve learned a lot about my health and tracked things I didn’t even know existed. I learned that my HRV is slightly unbalanced and is something Im now working on. I Believe the health parameters Garmin tracks can be beneficial to performance and the Body Battery is an indicator of what needs to be worked on, but the body battery number itself I don’t think effects performances.

Garmin Golf App Stats:

673C2376-7702-4F5E-85DA-68B44BDD678B.JPEG.1d71005c59ff56b3b7e244986afd710a.JPEG

Off The Tee:

The first thing that really stands out to me are my misses right. My usual shot shape is a small fade and balls are using pushing left on my misses, but this year my club face is staying In the same position as my club path is coming across more, leading to these pulled shots right. I would say I struggle the most off the tee and this says otherwise. 1 thing that messes up these statistic are the Garmin CT10 Sensors. Im not really sure where it’s getting the data of the shots that only went a few yards. In one of my recently reviews I mentioned how the sensors pick up shots that I didn’t hit - such as practice strokes or reading greens. In one of my recent Tournaments a lot of the tee shots were blind. I would take a practice stroke and go to the forward tees to see where I was hitting to. Maybe the sensors registered that as a shot?

Approach Shots:

36% GIR is okay, but as you can see my biggest miss is short. 38% short, if only I could put those on the green I would be at 74% GIR…which is amazing. This tells me that my club selection is slightly off and maybe I need to be a bit more aggressive on my approaches.

Chip Shots:

Well, as you can see this is definitely the worst part of my game! I find I have a really tough time with committing to my chip shots and really struggle with knowing how to play the different types of grass around the green. Definitely something I need to work on and Im glad the Garmin Golf App highlights that.

The golf app has Many more features including your average club distances and farthest shot. I didn’t realize I had such a huge gap from my 8iron to my 7iron.

IMG_4583.jpg.20cf5c9c64be2f579464e5d9ded88deb.jpg

Almost a 25 yard difference is quite big and I have noticed that 160-165 is a tough distance for me.

The app also tracks your Handicap. I think the Garmin is being quite generous as my Garmin Handicap is 7.6, but my official Golf Canada Handicap is 10.9.

IMG_4582.jpg.c7f1a66b67a2d46e7ac1b8c094a0a87a.jpg

Garmin Health tracking:

I wanted to wait to have a full month of data before posting my thoughts about body battery.

Below is a full month of my body battery scores, daily stress levels and sleep scores:

Body Battery:

IMG_4633.jpg.e01d64abdab395208ad82537021ade17.jpg

Daily stress levels:

IMG_4634.jpg.a7ec48c0613fc57ed6b6e28cca9b5be6.jpg

Sleep scores:

IMG_4635.jpg.8943ded77d4e6cb6f48e891c29e5d475.jpg

All of these scores have given me a fitness age of 18.5! I think that’s good?

IMG_4636.jpg.c272c74fcb5e04b78de6fd43011bd7d6.jpg

Overall, the Garmin has definitely made me more conscious of these health parameters and I think that’s a great feature about the watch. This watch is beyond a golf watch and I love it.

One thing the Garmin doesn’t track is your golf training. I think that is what correlates to your golf game the most, but I do feel sleep, stress and overall well being can also relate to performance.

Another extremely important part of the golf game is your mental game - Something I’ve definitely been working on. A great recommendation I have to those of you struggling with mental game is to read the book ‘Zen Golf’. As this is my first year playing competitively, this book has worked wonders.

I do believe stress, sleep and overall health can relate to mental game and having the Garmin tracking this can be very revealing and beneficial.

So, my final hypothesis is that, no the Body Battery doesn’t effect performance, but I believe health tracking, golf training and overall well being does effect your golf score.

I have a tournament this coming Monday, so stay tuned!

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M Grind)

Putter: LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Ball: Titleist TruFeel 

GPS: Garmin S70/CT10 Sensors (Current MGS Tester) 

On 7/11/2024 at 7:36 AM, revkev said:

IMG_0722.jpeg.cc83ea19757b14fa2f3333e2acbf8165.jpegIMG_0721.jpeg.8944a226658948f90b6d969238d573da.jpegHighest training readiness score and first time over 50 on body battery in sometime. Unfortunately I don’t believe that I got an accurate sleep score - it was in the 50’s but I was shorted 3 hours. I legimately got over 7 hours of sleep for the first time since we started this test. 

Its interesting to me that I am starting to be able to predict what these scores will be after waking up or during the day fairly accurately up to and including heart rate.

I’m curious as to whether or not my other testing teammates are experiencing the same thing. 

I can definitely relate! I know as soon as I wake up whether or not I've had a good sleep and 9 times out of 10 it definitely correlates to my body battery. 

WITB:

Question here for the testers, although what happens with my S62 may be more related to location than anything else.

I also have a Garmin Epix watch but have not used it for golf at this particular course to see if it too has the issue. I may do that in the next week or so to verify.

I play a course that is located in a local "Metropark." The park is 4400 acres and has a multitude of different things to do such as camping, boating, fishing, hiking, biking, picnic area and beaches on the lake.

No housing in the park area, although once you leave there are houses or subdivisions all around it.

When I play this particular course there are times that the GPS signal appears to go in and out, such as distances may not change from different locations, variation in distance shown on watch compared to using a rangefinder, screen may get stuck on one hole, or make me manually adjust to the proper or next hole after completing a hole.

Has anyone played in a rural or remote area with the S70 and had similar issues or difficulties?

I know that the S70 has many improvements over the S62.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

1 minute ago, rkj427 said:

Question here for the testers, although what happens with my S62 may be more related to location than anything else.

I also have a Garmin Epix watch but have not used it for golf at this particular course to see if it too has the issue. I may do that in the next week or so to verify.

I play a course that is located in a local "Metropark." The park is 4400 acres and has a multitude of different things to do such as camping, boating, fishing, hiking, biking, picnic area and beaches on the lake.

No housing in the park area, although once you leave there are houses or subdivisions all around it.

When I play this particular course there are times that the GPS signal appears to go in and out, such as distances may not change from different locations, variation in distance shown on watch compared to using a rangefinder, screen may get stuck on one hole, or make me manually adjust to the proper or next hole after completing a hole.

Has anyone played in a rural or remote area with the S70 and had similar issues or difficulties?

I know that the S70 has many improvements over the S62.

Hey Rkj, I'm not sure if the S62 has this feature, but within the Garmin Golf App it allows you to download the course before the round. This will void any GPS issues. I recently played a course that had no cell service. My phone couldn't load SwingU, but the Garmin S70 was fine and was giving me proper yardages all round. 

IMG_4641.jpg.29f889157a91a85d2c77a3e81c978f43.jpg

This is located In the 'More' section on the Garmin Golf App.

Hopefully this help you out! 

WITB:

@cburins Thank you for that!  👍  👍  😎

Yes the S62 has it, as I did download the courses we played during the MGS outing beforehand and had no issues then.

I just checked, and did not have that local course downloaded, but did so and would now expect it to function fine going forward.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

@rkj427 sorry I couldn’t help with your question- I live in a and play all of my golf in very populated areas. 

IMG_0726.jpeg.f9ed6cd26197f41d535acf03d1b116c7.jpegI get this message frequently late afternoons/evenings. I work hard at taking time to move and be active even when working so I’m glad the Garmin recognizes it.

True confession here - the difference in body battery scores on mornings where I’ve had some drinks the day prior and those when I haven’t is around 20 points. My highest scores have come after multiple alcohol free days. I’m really seeing this pattern emerge now that I’m home from vacation and not drinking as much. (Not that I was out getting drunk every day on vacation but I was having a couple of martinis or single malts nightly.) 

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

How accurate have the testers (or anyone else) found the active calories calculated by the watch? I can’t help but feel that for me they are extremely high compared to what I would expect. For example I show 1288 active calories and 461 resting calories burned from a 4 hour round of golf where I rode in a cart the entire time. This may be correct but I would be surprised to learn that.

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

13 hours ago, Coulter said:

How accurate have the testers (or anyone else) found the active calories calculated by the watch? I can’t help but feel that for me they are extremely high compared to what I would expect. For example I show 1288 active calories and 461 resting calories burned from a 4 hour round of golf where I rode in a cart the entire time. This may be correct but I would be surprised to learn that.

I would agree that I’ve been surprised at the number of Dailey calories has surprised me. However, I’ve been working on weight loss during this time.  It included a two week vacation in which my diet was caput. I only gained a pound and a half during that time. I’d of had to have burned the numbers of calories it took s crediting me with for that to have happened. 

I will try to be actively mindful of the calories this week. I weighed in at 184.6 this morning (started at 196 four months ago.  My goal is sub 175.) 

Interesting observation today

I didn’t sleep great last night which is pretty normal given last evenings events plus preaching today - I knew I had to tweak what I was going to say based upon world events. Still my body battery started at 50 which is pretty good for me 

It was at 21 when I got home from church - we had a lot larger attendance than is normal at this time of year. 

I ate lunch, checked the weather and decided I had time to hit a few balls and get 9 in, riding. Course was empty, grabbed a cart and played 9 in 1:20 (8th hole was closed so you had to play 9 twice - glad I took a cart.) Shot 39 - I will write about that elsewhere because I hit the ball nicely - ended with a body battery of 11. 

It’s Florida, wet at sea level and I  hit a drive 241 - I should have taken a picture of my Voice Caddy which I used in the 6 holes that I hit driver - on it my drives were between 220 and 241 - on the watch they were 224 to 238 which was their actual distance (241 voice caddy drive was into to light breeze). Bottom line is that both devices are extremely accurate in what they do. 

I'm not sure that the Garmin is measuring my sleep accurately, seems like it's not tracking 90-120 minutes each night. I went to bed at midnight and woke up circa 0630hrs on Friday but it says I slept a little more than 4 hours.

image.jpeg.2388130585037d743919e782082c7732.jpeg

I started the day with a Body Battery of 15 that was down to 5 by the end of the front 9 yesterday. Did I play much worse on the back than the front? Yes I did, but it wasn't because I was tired. I was stuck behind a foursome and got a little out of rhythm. I was all over the par 3s on the front but couldn't buy a putt on the back 9.

image.jpeg.32b96a11518fbcbe00fa98c61b45d766.jpegimage.jpeg.c920b66885aee6a1b6a51c4f5f4fcab2.jpeg

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

@NubianRugby - I’ve had that experience a number of times. When did the watch think you went to sleep? It happens to me if I wake up for some reason not long after going to bed (my wife flips on a light or my daughter has an issue and needs me to come help her reposition) or mostly I wake up after 4 because I need to go to the bathroom or because of my daughter - normally I’m able to go back to sleep and grab an additional 11/2 to 2 hours on those occasions and I’m not getting credit for it. 

I also had a new development this past week - my battery is running down significantly faster than before - it was lasting 7 or 8 days even with a couple of rounds sprinkled in - now it’s around 3. It’s like there’s something running in the background. Thoughts? Beyond turning it on and off - last time I did that I lost my data. 😞

On 7/10/2024 at 1:35 PM, Shrek74 said:

Question for all testers - @revkev @cburins @CorentinV @NubianRugby and @GolfSpy_APH.

Have you had any issues with the watch sensor rubbing your skin badly on the wrist?

I've had Garmin, Polar, Fitbit, among other watches that had the sensor stick out enough and eventually rub my wrist such that it caused redness and overall discomfort to the point I had to take it off for several days. I don't wear my watch super tight, just tight enough it doesn't flop around. Thanks.

Hasn't been a problem for me. I will say I'm not a huge fan of the rubber strap, it can get a little sweaty and itchy when I'm playing golf or working out.

WITB

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

On 7/13/2024 at 8:37 AM, revkev said:

True confession here - the difference in body battery scores on mornings where I’ve had some drinks the day prior and those when I haven’t is around 20 points. My highest scores have come after multiple alcohol free days. I’m really seeing this pattern emerge now that I’m home from vacation and not drinking as much. (Not that I was out getting drunk every day on vacation but I was having a couple of martinis or single malts nightly.) 

I was waiting for someone else to say something about this so I didn't look like the lone alcoholic among the testers. There's definitely a difference in body battery score if I've had anything to drink that evening and I've also noticed that my sleep score goes down if I've had a few drinks the night before too. Even if I felt like I got a good night's sleep after a night out Lady G (that's what I've started calling my watch 🤣) shows that I slept less than I thought and usually don't get any REM sleep.

WITB

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

For me it's more than one drink - I'm fine at a post round beer or nighcap but more than that is very disruptive.  Throw in a cigar and forget it.  Thankfully I don't have a lot of those but do enjoy one now and again.  

1 hour ago, NubianRugby said:

I was waiting for someone else to say something about this so I didn't look like the lone alcoholic among the testers. There's definitely a difference in body battery score if I've had anything to drink that evening and I've also noticed that my sleep score goes down if I've had a few drinks the night before too. Even if I felt like I got a good night's sleep after a night out Lady G (that's what I've started calling my watch 🤣) shows that I slept less than I thought and usually don't get any REM sleep.

Yep, I have definitely noticed that alcohol affects sleep quality and therefore body battery. If and when we order alcohol at a restaurant, it will only be a drink for each of us. I typically have to finish my wife's drink as well. So I can say that even small quantities have an effect.

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

Garmin Workout Feature

It’s been a while since I last worked out as I was recovering from nerve damage in my left foot. I have been doing physio for the past few months and this week I finally felt recovered enough to work out.

It felt great to get back to the gym, but I also had to take it easy as I didn’t want any other issues.

I was really excited to see what the Garmin had to offer when it comes to working out and it definitely exceeded my expectations.

The Garmin allows you to select from a bunch of preset workouts or even create your own. I do what’s call Push, Pull, Legs.

What Is The Push/Pull/Legs Split Routine?

The push/pull/legs split is a very simple training method in which you split your body into three parts. And each part is then trained on its own separate day.

In the “push” workout you train all the upper body pushing muscles, i.e. the chest, shoulders and triceps.

In the “pull” workout you train all the upper body pulling muscles, i.e. the back and biceps.

And in the “legs” workout you train the entire lower body, i.e. the quads, hamstrings, calves and abdominals.

I inputted my workouts and it was quite easy to do. The only thing I found hindering is the Garmin only allows you to pick workouts from their preset system. A few workouts I do weren’t available, so I had to make a few work arounds.

When loading up my workout on the watch I was greeted by a screen with the human anatomy showing what Muscles Id be working within my training. What a cool feature!

FDEFE7DE-96EA-4C66-A1AD-77CC5F94F241.JPEG.1989751a2d30cdde75f0b85c9b07160b.JPEG

Also on the Garmin Connect App it provides the same info

IMG_4638.jpg.a72ed74cac39ba2ebe24701ee6df101d.jpg

The Garmin tracks your duration, heart rate and calories burned throughout the workout.

IMG_4642.jpg.ed7bb402df0be079f154e4e81e84575e.jpg

Another amazing feature that makes me enjoy this watch even more. As I continue to workout I will update on my discoveries.

WITB:

2 hours ago, NubianRugby said:

@cburins I may ping via DM for some help on getting this setup for myself.

Absolutely! 

WITB:

So I did find potential solutions to the battery drain on the Garmin website - of the options I thought a soft shut down was the most logical and simplest fix.

I powered down, recharged the phone and put it on my wrist at 100 percent at 730 this evening. It’s 10 PM now and still 99 percent. That’s what I’d expect.

Also my wife has been so impressed with the health/fitness facet of my watch and the ease of use that I bought her an appropriate model today - used my Amazon Prime cash 🙂

Riverside Golf Club Garmin Review (+5*)

*Hole 4 is actually a par 5 being a bogey instead of double.

IMG_4697.jpg.9dca37a0973634b29969dce2edabea20.jpg

Hey Spies, I played an early morning 9 at my childhood course! I was a member here for a few summers and was where I learned to golf. Always love playing here for the nostalgia and is overall a fun course to play.

IMG_4658.jpg.03a9cd5cb9b9cc3f7f714cf59223be61.jpg

To start the round my Body Battery was at 74 and dropped to 59 after the round.

6BCBE32F-424E-47DB-8F9C-48696027CBA6.JPEG.7c0bca863289ecfa1f6da51b5debf4ee.JPEG

I didn’t wear the watch to sleep the night before so I wonder how it gives you the sleep score? Does is take an average sleep score and just start your day with that? That’s my guess.

I had a great start to the round with a birdie! Long par 5 with trouble left and right so fairway is your only option to score well.

I had quite the gallery on hole 5. Missed my birdie putt, but happy with a tap in par.

IMG_4656.JPG.ef1b24d5aa7db6beb0990aee85f9fb57.JPG

The virtual caddy is definitely started to get more accurate and I find the club selection is perfect 9/10 times.

I haven’t been able to track my club distances, only on a Trackman throughout the Winter. Ive noticed that I’ve had my yardages completely wrong and is potentially why I’ve been missing so many approach shots or shorter par 3s. This could also be me improving during the season and getting more distance with my clubs. So many different variables with golf so it’s hard to tell, but having my yardages tracked on every shot is very beneficial.

I still find the CT10 Sensors to be a bit finicky and malfunctioning.

On hole 7 it requires you to walk across a small bridge to the tee block. I brought 2 clubs depending on where the tee blocks are and it registered me putting my unselected club on the ground as a shot.

IMG_4664.jpg.19361b13c9b0d158bfc66bf57452d4d0.jpg

The sensors doing this skew data and provided unrealistic hole data. After each round I have to edit all my shots. If the watch can track swing tempo I don’t understand why its can’t track your swing during an actually shot so it can record it accurately.

So far I’m not a huge fan of the sensors. Id prefer to just input all the data on the watch and not have these sensors skew data. Being $300 for these sensors I would assume they would be a bit more accurate and functional.

Overall, a solid nine for me. Just a bad triple bogey on hole 3 after an unplayable. This definitely helped me leading into my tournament this past Monday. I have another round to post before my tournament round (spoiler - I may have shot my lowest round!).

WITB:

ValleyMede Columbus GC Garmin Review (+8)

IMG_4676.jpg.a4b3c9ab7b7e309069397796de2a2f9e.jpg

Well Spies, I finally did it - I BROKE 80!!!

This was my goal for the season and Im extremely happy to achieve it. This round really taught me how important it is to keep the ball in play and how important short game is.

For this round I wanted to compare the Garmin S70 to my previous GPS/tracker, which was the free version of the SwingU App.

On the first hole the yardages were slightly off by a few yards which is fine, but I do question which one to trust. My gut goes with the Garmin.

BF87F62A-E41B-4777-8B19-B4CDF6784645.JPEG.33088aaa73417655d7f9b9004c257c55.JPEG

On another hole I wanted to see the accuracy of the hazards. As you can see on the Garmin it provides those yardages by using the little arrows on the bottom to cycles through different areas - Hazards, pin placement, front and back of green yardages and 200, 150, 100 layups. For SwingU you have to manually press on the area and it will give you the yardages. I find this a bit tedious and slightly time consuming. I don’t want to be on my phone in the middle fairway trying to figure out the yardage to carry the bunker and then estimate where the pin is.

C5EDD2AF-5D27-43D7-ABAC-5A74C5D08AFC.JPEG.170161a2ef9885ca07b7f93bbdd8fbfc.JPEG

For the free version of SwingU it only allows you to track your score and putts for the hole.

IMG_4668.jpg.492bc184b27d5ccd96b5b71e6bdd177e.jpg

The subscription for the Plus version is $49.99 for the year and the Pro Version is $99.99 for the year. I don’t think that price is bad at all and if you’re just looking to slightly improve and track more parameters that’s great, but the Garmin exceeds these tracking features.

Also, it does make a huge difference to just snap your wrist and have everything available with a few click, as being on my phone can be redundant. The price difference is quite substantial and it really depends on your budget for golf tech.

So, to give you my final thoughts on this comparison, I definitely think Garmin has the upper hand. Don’t get me wrong, I think SwingU is a great app but is just incomparable to the seamlessness and accuracy of the Garmin. I used SwingU for the past few seasons and definitely improved my game. If you don’t have the budget, SwingU is 100% a great option.

If anyone has any questions regarding the comparison please let me know!

Now, let’s get into me breaking 80!

My front 9 was extremely solid, as +3 is my lowest 9 ever. Thru 7,8,9 I made a few club choice mistakes, but the short game was there to help.

After 9 holes I think we were making good pace of play?

IMG_4670.jpg.ce4bcc38a7787dfe79966d6d131afa4f.jpg

On the back nine I was playing solid, had a few birdie chances that lipped out or I just misread the putt. Again, thru 16,17,18 I made some poor decisions, but the rest of my game bailed me out. I think this was the most anxious I’ve been on a golf course. I haven’t been this close to breaking 80 and the nerves definitely kicked in leading to some minor mistakes.

Some notable shots from the round was a 291yd drive to the middle of the fairway and I absolutely crushed my 3iron 258yds! I love being able to see this in real time on the Garmin.

21D14422-80A3-4F0F-BF09-7084203FCA33.JPEG.e720c26b3526df416e0a22d828e5053f.JPEG

I am extremely happy with this performance and hopefully continue to break 80. I played my 3rd tournament the next day and may or may not have done the same thing.. stayed tuned as I’ll be posting about it tomorrow!

Edited by cburins

WITB:

Congrats on breaking 80 cburins

@revkev Thank you!

Edited by cburins

WITB:

IMG_0739.jpeg.4c6a051f533798c2800e9c0e4e2fad20.jpegOkay so I have tempo to work on that’s for certain. The nice thing is I can do it into my hitting net at home. 

Extremely stressful day today, started off giving the opening prayer at the St Pete City Council meeting. On this mornings agenda was a new ball park for the Rays. It was packed, tons of media, Rays owner present, pretty cool. Plan includes urban development and a number of guaranteed jobs for inner city St Pete residents.

Principal is out of town so I had to handle a very angry parent. Got home and called out to the ER - we’ve actually had 3 congregants sent to the ER this evening. 

Here’s what my Garmin said about my day:

IMG_0740.jpeg.dd395b3abf2997d904fab1e22cc90dcf.jpeg

Edited by revkev

Ladies’ Golf Club Of Toronto - Tournament Review (+8)

AE6F6A1C-CCFB-4D87-BEE2-186F12384CA0.JPEG.2ee2b8b2ca8191aba7dcda372080ceab.JPEG

I’m extremely happy to say I pulled off a 3rd place finish in my third ever event and also happened to break 80 for the second time!

I’m going to start the review with my round recap, so if you’re not interested skip ahead to the Garmin review.

I have yet to have a good first hole in any of my tournaments. I don’t feel nervous, but I do feel my body goes into fight or flight mode and puts me a bit out of form.

On the first I pulled my tee shot into the right fairway, pitching wedge over trees to the front edge of the green, bad chip and a bad 3 putt starting me off with a double bogey.

Second hole Par 3 I left myself with a crazy 30ft uphill putt. With the rain and height of this uphill putt I thought I needed to give it some steam and blew it 15ft passed the hole. Sunk that 15 footer which got me comfortable on the course. Following that I birdied the Par 5 putting me back to even.

Easy Par on the 3rd, but hole 4 gave me some trouble. I pulled my drive a bit left, when I got up to the area I couldn’t find it. Had to go back to the tee and re-tee for 3. Second ball birdie to give me a well earned bogey.

It started raining heavy from 7-9 and I’m happy to get out of there with 3 bogies - could’ve been much worse.

It cleared up and I went par par holes 10-11. 11th hole I hit the pin on my putt and bounced out. Would’ve been a nice birdie, but tap in pars never hurt.

As we were walking to hole 12 the weather sirens went off and we were lucky to be close to the halfway house.

Waiting 20+ minutes definitely wasn’t the best for my adrenaline as in tournament play I want to keep going if Im playing well. If it was the other way around I would appreciate the break to regroup.

12 hole I didn’t listen to my caddy and hit driver off the tee. Pulled it right into the driving range which was unfortunately OB. Very weird course layout to have a driving range in-between two holes.. Oh well, I should’ve listened to my caddy.

I had 60yds into the green for bogey and almost put in in! Tap in double which definitely hurt the scorecard.

IMG_4729.jpg.7b1ddf17359ac6bd179189db49499f45.jpg

After that I was playing great. 14th hole was a poor chip leading to bogey. 16th hole I sunk a 25 footer for birdie! Told my caddy as we were walking up that I’m going to drain this.

17th hole I did something I never should’ve done - I checked the leaderboards. At the time I was tied for first…

I was on the green in 2 on a par 4 and pulled a Rory - Missed a 3ft putt for par… Was definitely more in my head than on the course.

Final hole Par 3. I hit my shot to the right side of the green leaving myself with a 20ft putt to get back in contention. I hit a horrible put and finished up with a par.

I can’t express how happy I am with this performance… My goal this year was to break 80 and I managed to do it for the first time the day before and then in a tournament. Another goal of mine was to get tot a single digit handicap this year and after this round it put me to a 9.9 handicap…BARELY a single digit but I’m proud of myself.

IMG_4693.jpg.2e8965dd25df82c69bf84f63990c07dc.jpg

I’ve been working my a$$ off and haven’t seen any improvement in score, but finally it’s starting to show.

Now let’s get into the Garmin!

Being in Tournament Mode it takes away the Plays Like feature and also the Pinpointer feature. The plays like feature is absolutely amazing and for tournaments it’s more challenging to calculate slope and distances.

Like I said in previous reviews, the virtual caddy will get better overtime as it collects more and more shot data. I think I have enough shot data that the virtual caddy is quite accurate. It was nice to have a real and virtually caddy giving you options.

9/10 times the virtual caddy selected the club I was going to play but depending on lie and distance we went with something else. It was also pouring rain and course was wet for the entire round leading to many club changes.

I love the round recap on the Garmin Golf app

IMG_4728.jpg.d4ed6101929c3ece3e5923fd8d4cdafa.jpg

As you can see the putter was on fire with a 1.7 putt per average. GIR could use a little work and same with finding the fairways, but this also shows how important keeping the ball in play is and also short game.

Again, I can’t express how helpful all the info the Garmin provides - It’s made me work more on my chipping and that has absolutely been saving holes for me.

I didn’t happen to get many pictures or ideas for reviewing as I was so focused on competing, but I think this also tells you how seamless and amazing the Garmin is. If I was having issues during my rounds I would definitely have a lot more to say.

So far my experience has been amazing with the Garmin S70, I have been having such a good season and I also want to take time to thank MGS for this amazing experience and also to thank all the member who are just amazing people!

Finally, I want to somewhat showoff… In my last tournament I won 2 skin (I got two lowest scores on holes) and won $150!

A453B102-945E-47A1-AA5C-AE38EA107F93.JPEG.5e18fba5958e9b4455da22a54006090d.JPEG

WITB:

Was scheduled to play 18 this afternoon with a fellow MGSer LarryD. After a look at the predictive radar app on my phone we decided to cancel - he’s about 45 minutes away - I’m sure we could have gotten some golf in based on what I saw but it’s tough to drive that far and not play 18.

Instead I opted to play 9 at my club and then hit balls on the range. IMG_0741.jpeg.f8aa7e9e9f8188360d68d49020c565a6.jpeg 

Apparently all the weather was between us as he got 18 in and I was able to play and practice. Body battery was low - I’m noticing a trend developing that I can play good golf with a low body battery if I ride. There is a significant decline in performance when I don’t ride and have a low battery. 

All things being equal I have not found a difference in my quality of play between walking and riding but I also generally walk less in the summer (remember that I live in Florida so my season are a bit reversed.) I’ve walked much more this summer thus far because of this test.