Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Are My Shafts Too Stiff?

MGS Members, 

I hope you all are well! I'm sure this question is asked time and time again but would love some input from members out there more experienced and better players than myself. 

I'm a current 18 Handicap with a whole bunch of heavy shafts. Not fit for them, primarily ego driven. I'm 6'4, workout, and swing out of my shoes at the range/simulator, so I've (probably foolishly) picked heavy stuff. 

Driver: GT Tour UB7X

5 Wood: HRZDUS Yellow 70G XS.

7 Wood:  GT Tour XC 7X. 

Irons: KBS $-Taper 125 S+

Wedges: 115 FST (51*), 125 KBS Hi-Rev. 

My Ball Flight has always been crazy right to left, or primarily on line-hook left. Looking for perspective/input on if I should consider a lighter shaft or in general a shaft fitting. I understand heavier shafts primarily help reduce spin. However, at my skill level, clearly my swing has some major in to out madness (see Trackman numbers below). According to Trackman optimizer charts (for Driver), I am nearly optimal for my best drives. 

Driver: 245 Carry, 100.7 CHS, 146 BS, 14.1 LA, 1.45 Smash, 2410 spin, 5.6 AA, 12.6 Club Path 8.3 FA. 

6 Iron (31*): 166 Carry, 84.5 CHS, 116 BS, 15.7 LA, 1.38 Smash, -3.6 AA, -1.4 Face to Path

8 Iron (39*): 144 Carry, 82 CHS, 106 BS, 20.1 LA,  1.3 Smash, 6270 spin, -4 AA, -1 Face to Path

Any insight across the bag would be appreciated. TIA!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5, Graphite Tour AD7X

Woods: :PXG:0317X 5 Wood, HRZDUS Yellow XS. :srixon-small: ZX MKII 7 Wood, Tour AD XC

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP57s 5-P (2008)

Wedges: Edison V1 51*, FST 115. :wilson_staff_small: Model Wedge, 57*, KBS Hi-Rev 125. 

Putter: :bettinardi-small: 2021 Studio Stock 7, :garsen: Tour Max 15"

Scratch Range Player, 18 HCP On Course.

Shaft weight controls tempo - if you have a quick tempo and aggressive transition, then stiffer, heavier shafts will help. The good news is that your shafts fit this category. The bad news is your swingspeed isn't enough to make them work.

So I would consider going down to S rather than X and see what the difference is.

A lighter shaft might also help generate more clubhead speed, but as mentioned it may come at the expense of control with your tempo.

You can go to any big box golf store for a free fitting, no obligation to buy. Any of them can tell you what your clubhead speed is, and tell you the correct weight and flex. You might have to ask for it (they won't volunteer it), but the Mizuno shaft optimizer will even factor in clubhead speed, tempo, shaft toe down, shaft kick angle and release factor and give you a complete ordered list of shafts best suited to you. Every time I go for a fitting, I get my numbers off a Mizuno shaft optimizer session before proceeding.

From what I know, your clubhead speeds are still well within the range for stiff shafts. For your CHS, your metal shafts aren't heavy, but your iron shafts may be.

OTOH if you think a change in shafts if going to suddenly correct your misses, you'll probably be disappointed.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • LAB DF3 w Accra
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 001 F (mesh), Payntr X 005 F, Ecco Biom C4

8 hours ago, jaskanski said:

Shaft weight controls tempo - if you have a quick tempo and aggressive transition, then stiffer, heavier shafts will help. The good news is that your shafts fit this category. The bad news is your swingspeed isn't enough to make them work.

So I would consider going down to S rather than X and see what the difference is.

A lighter shaft might also help generate more clubhead speed, but as mentioned it may come at the expense of control with your tempo.

Appreciate the insight!

Woods: :PXG:0317X 5 Wood, HRZDUS Yellow XS. :srixon-small: ZX MKII 7 Wood, Tour AD XC

Wedges: Edison V1 51*, FST 115. :wilson_staff_small: Model Wedge, 57*, KBS Hi-Rev 125. 

8 hours ago, Middler said:

You can go to any big box golf store for a free fitting, no obligation to buy. Any of them can tell you what your clubhead speed is, and tell you the correct weight and flex. You might have to ask for it (they won't volunteer it), but the Mizuno shaft optimizer will even factor in clubhead speed, tempo, shaft toe down, shaft kick angle and release factor and give you a complete ordered list of shafts best suited to you. Every time I go for a fitting, I get my numbers off a Mizuno shaft optimizer session before proceeding.

From what I know, your clubhead speeds are still well within the range for stiff shafts. For your CHS, your metal shafts aren't heavy, but your iron shafts may be.

OTOH if you think a change in shafts if going to suddenly correct your misses, you'll probably be disappointed.

Awesome to hear the big stores have more advanced tech like a shaft optimizer. I appreciate your thoughts- definitely agree with the closing statement. Cheers!

I'm just going to focus on a single part of what you said:

"I'm 6'4, workout, and swing out of my shoes at the range/simulator, so I've (probably foolishly) picked heavy stuff."

Is that how you play on the course as well, just trying to swing out of your shoes? If so, that may be more of the reason for the hooks than the shafts alone. 

Your CHS are close to mine, and I rock a stiff driver, 3w and 3h but regular iron shafts. I'm a straight to fade golfer and really only snap hook when I'm trying to really step on it and swing out of my shoes. I'm also a little bit shorter but spinnier than you with the irons. 

So before considering a shaft fitting or change, have you done any technique work  at the range finding the right speed/tempo balance for your game? Just starting slow, maybe even half or quarter swings,  finding a good tempo, working up to smooth full swings and then building up your speed. Is it always crazy right to left? Is there a certain speed/feeling at which it truly goes from a playable draw to a snap hook? 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MNUte said:

I'm just going to focus on a single part of what you said:

"I'm 6'4, workout, and swing out of my shoes at the range/simulator, so I've (probably foolishly) picked heavy stuff."

Is that how you play on the course as well, just trying to swing out of your shoes? If so, that may be more of the reason for the hooks than the shafts alone. 

Your CHS are close to mine, and I rock a stiff driver, 3w and 3h but regular iron shafts. I'm a straight to fade golfer and really only snap hook when I'm trying to really step on it and swing out of my shoes. I'm also a little bit shorter but spinnier than you with the irons. 

So before considering a shaft fitting or change, have you done any technique work  at the range finding the right speed/tempo balance for your game? Just starting slow, maybe even half or quarter swings,  finding a good tempo, working up to smooth full swings and then building up your speed. Is it always crazy right to left? Is there a certain speed/feeling at which it truly goes from a playable draw to a snap hook? 

I’ve recently started training tempo on the range in 16/8 and 21/7, seemingly has fixed a lot of issues but keeping the mental clock on course takes some time. A new feel of a Shane Lowry like right hand greatly tightened my dispersion on 18 yesterday with irons but still hooks my 5 wood. . I’m notoriously awful for trying to play the hook aimed to the right, as I swing even more in to out and gain penalties like candy. 

My 5 wood continues to be the worst, I’d call it a borderline unplayable hook. Driver/7 wood are more confidently playable. 

I’m going to try a big box store to try regular and stiff iron shafts, interested in the results. Appreciate the insight, cheers!

Edited by Bcamp43

15 minutes ago, Bcamp43 said:

I’ve recently started training tempo on the range in 16/8 and 21/7, seemingly has fixed a lot of issues but keeping the mental clock on course takes some time. A new feel of a Shane Lowry like right hand greatly tightened my dispersion on 18 yesterday with irons but still hooks my 5 wood. . I’m notoriously awful for trying to play the hook aimed to the right, as I swing even more in to out and gain penalties like candy. 

My 5 wood continues to be the worst, I’d call it a borderline unplayable hook. Driver/7 wood are more confidently playable. 

I’m going to try a big box store to try regular and stiff iron shafts, interested in the results. Appreciate the insight, cheers!

Sounds like you're getting there! And I hear you, the former baseball player in me occasionally tries to come out and take true g hacks at the ball, which never turns out to be a good thing. 

If both your driver and 7 are playable, I think the 5s probably more of a psychological factor. So it should come with time, reps and confidence. If not, with your swing speeds you should still have more than enough playable distance for most courses. 

Good luck mate!

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Every time I think I’m gonna get fancy and hit the ball hard, things go wonky. Funny, when I just swing smooth and clean the ball goes straight! And if I put it 30 yards into the rough behind a tree, being 20 yards shorter and on the fairway sure seems like a better deal to me!

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

MGS Members, 
I hope you all are well! I'm sure this question is asked time and time again but would love some input from members out there more experienced and better players than myself. 
I'm a current 18 Handicap with a whole bunch of heavy shafts. Not fit for them, primarily ego driven. I'm 6'4, workout, and swing out of my shoes at the range/simulator, so I've (probably foolishly) picked heavy stuff. 
Driver: GT Tour UB7X
5 Wood: HRZDUS Yellow 70G XS.
7 Wood:  GT Tour XC 7X. 
Irons: KBS $-Taper 125 S+
Wedges: 115 FST (51*), 125 KBS Hi-Rev. 
My Ball Flight has always been crazy right to left, or primarily on line-hook left. Looking for perspective/input on if I should consider a lighter shaft or in general a shaft fitting. I understand heavier shafts primarily help reduce spin. However, at my skill level, clearly my swing has some major in to out madness (see Trackman numbers below). According to Trackman optimizer charts (for Driver), I am nearly optimal for my best drives. 
Driver: 245 Carry, 100.7 CHS, 146 BS, 14.1 LA, 1.45 Smash, 2410 spin, 5.6 AA, 12.6 Club Path 8.3 FA. 
6 Iron (31*): 166 Carry, 84.5 CHS, 116 BS, 15.7 LA, 1.38 Smash, -3.6 AA, -1.4 Face to Path
8 Iron (39*): 144 Carry, 82 CHS, 106 BS, 20.1 LA,  1.3 Smash, 6270 spin, -4 AA, -1 Face to Path
Any insight across the bag would be appreciated. TIA!

The distances you post are basically the same as mine. I'm also 6'4".

I use standard Ping steel stiff shafts. I think they are 120 g or thereabouts.

I think your shafts are too stiff at S+.

You should probably get fit to find the appropriate shaft. Although I will say my last fitting put me back into stiff steel. The one previous had me in regular graphite that I hit good about 1/2 the time, but many pulls otherwise

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk