What Are The Best Irons In Golf?

GolfSpy_APH

For me right now it's Srixon MKII ZX5- KBS Tour lite stiff flex Shafts.  I am able to control ball flight and swing pattern easier than ever before.  IMO you just have to try different irons and shafts to be able to find what fits you and your swing. 

Driver Taylormade Stealth Plus- Fujikura Ventus Red Stiff Shaft

3W Titleist TS2- HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Shaft

4-PW Srixon MKII ZX5- KBS Tour lite stiff flex Shafts

56* and 60* Cleveland RTX4- Dynamic Gold S400 Stiff flex Shaft

SeeMore si3 mallet putter

I love my new Lazrus Hybrid Irons.  They help me play better.  I am hitting them higher and longer than my old irons.  I'm almost 74 and they deffinately help my game. Also they are sold at a very good price.

I'm 73 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid 6,5,4 Hybrids, Lazrus 7,8,9,PW Hybrids Cobra GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Cleveland Huntington 11, 34" putter

How can anyone really answer this?? My current irons were fitted to me at Club Champions (Srixon ZX-4s) and they work great. 

So my answer is if the clubs in your bag do what you want them to do those -for you- are the best irons in golf at this moment in time. 

Driver :taylormade-small: QI10 max

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter L.A.B. DF3 ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

On 10/16/2024 at 12:32 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

No wrong answers here as every golfer is different and each golfer has different experiences with products to determine what the best products are. 

So for this thread what is the best set of irons you ever used? What would you consider to be the best set of irons and finally why? Was it all head design, or was it a shaft or even grip that made the big difference for you?

Looking forward to hearing what all of you think!

For me, my favorite irons were the very first King Cobra OS, probably back in 1994. I may have like them the best because of the Driving iron, 220-230 down the middle every time, teed up or off the turf. I really enjoy the set I have now though, Srixon ZX5, I put the Ping CB Gold shafts in them and they are smooth as butter!

Mark Newcomb

Mizuno MP32: best head shape and size.  Buttery feel when you hit them solid, feedback when you didn’t.  

Edited by Sho_yu76
Did not intend to reply to another post

Driver:  Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD w/ Ventus TR Black 6X

3W: Ping G425 w/ VA Composites Slay 75-S

3H: Callaway Rogue

Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-25

Wedges: Mizuno T’s (52, 56, 60)

Putter:  Odyssey Black #2

Nall: Srixon Z-Star XV

A friend gave me a set of 90’s Hogan blades that will always hold the top spot for me. They were the best feeling irons I’ve ever hit. I’ve mostly stuck to Mizuno blades and cavity backs since.

Irons: Mizuno 243 4-P

Wedges: SM9 various lofts

Woods/ hybrid: multiple brands and set up

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed LS

Putter: Phantom 12/ Newport 2.5

The best irons in golf are the ones that are fitted to you.  All of the major manufactures have very good products but, all are slightly different.  I believe that the shaft  is just as important as the club head.  I bought a set of PXG irons that were fit to me, W through 6 iron.  I felt that I still needed a 5 iron so I took out my old knock off 5 iron and had the same shaft put in it as the PXG's.  I could not discern very much difference in the club.

☹️

Over the past 50 years I’ve played blades, CBs and now multi material. Favourites vary by age and memory. The swing hasn’t changed and technology definitely makes a difference.

In my (long gone) youth  I played Lynx CR (favourite design)Wilson Staff, then Mizuno (favourite brand) MS3, TP9 and TP11 (best blade). In middle age I switched to cavity backs from Ping Eye 2’s (great shaft ZZ lite), 845s, Lynx FC and then the Taylor Made 300s (all time favourite) & Mizuno 60’s with Rifle 5.5 shafts.  

Shafts seemed to be the key to the elusive set balance. Many years with Brunswick and then in later years switching the MP 60s into KBS 90s. Now on the Srixon ZX4 II with Recoils, easiest to hit and long.  In the running for favourite.

Perhaps the ego and emotion should have been parked long ago 🙂

To each his own, everyone is different.  For me, Im a Callaway guy, I love my irons.  There the best in my opinion.

20241017_183514.jpg

Driver AI Smoke MAX 10.5

Paradym 3 and 5 wood

AI Smoke HL 4 Hybrid

Big Bertha 2019 Irons

JAWS Black Wedges 50,56.60

Toulon Memphis Putter.

On 10/15/2024 at 10:32 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

No wrong answers here as every golfer is different and each golfer has different experiences with products to determine what the best products are. 

So for this thread what is the best set of irons you ever used? What would you consider to be the best set of irons and finally why? Was it all head design, or was it a shaft or even grip that made the big difference for you?

Looking forward to hearing what all of you think!

Best irons, nothing close, are Miura. Look and feel are ridiculous in a very good way.

only issue is my swing speed has slowed (I guess thing happen at 70 !!),  so time to change shaft from 3000 (stiff).

I tested Taylor Made and Titleist at Lincoln Hills fitting day. Slight distance improvement but not enough “arm candy factor” to offset the price. 

Hit it hard and hope to find it!!