Your Brand Opinion: TaylorMade Golf

GolfSpy_APH

Used p790 irons and moved to stealth irons a year ago.  Like them a lot no jumpers, go pretty straight. Driver,  not so much.  Bought a new M1 and it was awful. I had demoed M2 and liked it and thought the M1 would fit me better. Wrong.  I recently demoed Stealth 2 driver and it was my second choice this summer. 

TM woods have been my go to brand since they introduced the Bubble Burner in the mid 1990s.  Went to the golf strore expecting to buy a Big Bertha and left with the TMs and have used them ever since.  Still think the Ti Bubble 2 was the strightest driver I ever hit,

Overall I have liked them with a few exceptions.   Thought the SLDR was the worst driver I ever owned.  I could not keep it in the short grass.  Even cut the shaft down bur no good.  I sold it and pur the 2007 Burner back in the bag.  My faith was restored with the M2.  I still have mine and will use it when I am struggling with my current Stealth.

I am iron agnostic but in my last iron fitting I ended up with P790;s based on the Trackman stats.  I had been playing Ping i25s.   The jury is still out.  Some days I love them and other days I want to throw them in a lake.  But as they say, its the Indian, not the arrow. 

Still using my Taylormade M6 irons with steel/fiber shafts and a M6 3-wood.as well as my Taylormade Hybrds are older Taylormade, still like them...  Haven't had a Taylormade Driver  since the M5/M6...   switched to Ping g430 and now Titleist TSR1...    The new Tayormade drivers took a hit because of the carbon/fiber face.   Hope they solve the issues and bring out something I would try...       

TM has been my go to brand throughout the years.  Still gaming a set of their irons from 2011 that I love.

I have been a little reluctant to move into the carbon face driver due to hearing about some of the issues, but might be making the switch soon.

Have always liked the looks of their clubs (suit my eye).

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Taylormade remains on the best golf brands in the world. They have had immense success with their drivers and golfers continue to love their flagship drivers year after year. I worked at a now out of business Golfsmith location and I can remember golfers lining up in the parking lot to trade in their year old Taylormade driver for that year's newer model even when the new model was basically a new paint job and rebranding. Ironically, the thing that I've always admired about their product line has been their irons. Personally, despite wanting to play their products, I have never hit their products well with the only exception being the ATV series of wedges. I would drool over the look of the products but once I tested them on a launch monitor I never saw the numbers that I needed to see to justify a purchase. At the time they had a discount program that offered an amazing discount for me but I just couldn't hit them well enough. 😔 That said, they always seem to have a team of the best players in the world playing their products and golfers of all shapes and sizes LOVE their products. Titleist, Callaway and Ping have chipped away at their market share over the years but they seem to always have loyal customers that religiously buy their products when they debut. It's kinda like those people who always get the newest Iphone even if their current Iphone is still working great for them. 

Edited by NJ Teacher

I currently have all TM products and have had the stealth drivers in my bag since they came out and I LOVE it and all of their products.  I have not had any issues with durability or performance.   In the past I have had PXGs and Cobras and I prefer TM hands down.  I feel like their clubs perform more consistently on mis-hits.  To me it is the #1 brand out there.  

TaylorMade seems to be a company that is always towards the front of the pack. They seem to make a quality product, aside from the apparent face issues with Stealth drivers, but it seems to me like they are always changing everything all the time.

The only clubs that I've owned include an R9 driver, R7 3w (still have this), and a Burner 4H. I had zero issues with any of them. The only recent clubs that I’ve tried are a friend’s P-790s which I liked. The best thing about TaylorMade for me is the TP5. Absolutely love that ball. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: TSR2 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 85g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

I will forever remember TaylorMade Golf was the One who broke the industry mold of introducing new products every 2-3 years.  Some years it will introduce multiple new drivers within a calendar year.  This started a feeding frenzy and the forever loss of the interest for new golf equipment.

We used to be eyeballing the introduction of new golf equipment and  rushed to the local brick and mortar golf store to see and try out the new toys.  Now we just glance over the internet without the urge to try them out.  

It was like the lower interest rate in the savings account purged the large deposits in the savings and the timed deposit accounts forcing them to be re-invested in other field.  It gave the market a tremendous boost of energy, but depleted the reserve for the time when we'll need it.

Undeniably, TaylorMade gad made changes with the invocation in the first decade of awareness.  The inverted cone behind the face plate, the movable weight to change the MOI and COG......... But the hat has ran out of rabbits and the 15 more yards every yaear is not working anymore.  

I think the golfers are more aware of the value they will get from shelling out today's price tag for a dream to get more distance.  On top, the high percentage of breakage with the lighter material and epoxied construction = not a durable product.  I know we're living in a disposable world and the OEM wish to dell us another product in 3-5 years in general.  I just miss the days when we can have a prod.

TaylorMade was the leader in marketing, so the copy of this type of marketing infused into other industry.  Mind you, we'll need a solid product to back up the propaganda.  I start to see this type of marketing in all types of advertising , marketing, which may not be a good thing.

I am, unabashedly, a big fan of Taylor Made.  I just purchased the Qi10 irons and love the feel and accuracy.  I already had a bag full of Taylor Made woods.  I have owned just about every Taylor Made Driver since about the R5 almost 30 years ago. The only non-Taylor Made clubs in my bag are an RTX 58 degree and my AXIS putter.  I even have a Taylor Made bag, hat, gloves, balls, etc.  If they make it, I buy it. 

Despite double spinal fusion and shoulder replacements, I still manage to shoot my age.  It will become easier when I reach 74 next month.

I’ve always been a huge fan of TaylorMade. I like that they have a ton of pros using their equipment but the average or beginner golfer is covered as well. 

WITB: Callaway AI Smoke Irons, 5-AW, AI Smoke 5 and 3 Woods, TaylorMade Stealth 2 Driver. Just got the BRNR Mini Driver as well. 

I have a mixed opinion. It feels like they have earned a poor reputation for their woods, partly by the too-frequent releases, but also some real quality issues. I've never tested well with a TM wood. However, for irons, I don't know what it is about their design philosophy, but they always work well for me. I played M3s for quite a while, and this past spring when I got fitted it was close to a dead heat between the P790s and Ping i530. The Ping won out only because they had a stock shaft that fit me better. I also played the original MG wedges, and was extremely happy with them. The only reason I don't have the new ones in the bag is that I got some new Vokeys free as part of an MGS club test. I might still swap the LW for an MG4. I also like the TP5x ball quite a bit. Ballnamic ranked it very high for me, along with the Chrome Tour and Wilson Staff. I buy whichever one has the current best price.

Edit: I should add, when I almost got the P790 irons, I was going to spring for the copper version. Dead sexy! After I'd picked the Pings my fitter admitted that he was hoping I get the coppers, because he wanted to see them in the flesh.

Edited by Siamese Moose

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I always liked Taylormade woods. I started with the Bubble with 1,3,5. Then moved to R9 which I found to be equally great. From there I moved to M1.  I did not find the SLDR woods to be of the same feel or control. So I held onto the M1 until Callaway came out with the Paradym Ai Smoke series which kept me up to date with the newest tech with the same great feel and control. I've had several friends who have appreciated the stealth series until each began to crack and fracture. The newest Qi10 seems to be promising at least to the devoted Taylormade brand followers.

JN-"Focus on remedies not faults".

I personally love TayloMade’s products. I continuously find myself going back to them if I try something else. Their woods just fit me and their irons are perfect. I do agree that with a couple of driver models they have been way less durable and honestly it seemed with the design it was inevitable. The early M models and the Stealth models in particular. Do to this I just try to avoid those. Other companies out have had their issues as well. And honestly, I’m not sure that any have been better or worse durability wise. (1 exception might be Titleist). Personally I will continue with TaylorMade   Although all companies are getting a little ridiculous in their pricing and it would be nice to see some relief in that area. 

Taylormade is obviously committed to continuous innovation and while that does create great hype around their products (Woods mostly) for me I often wonder about the gimmicky nature of some of the features they have incorporated.  I know quite a few people that have used a lot of TM drivers (myself included) and some have been fantastic and others not so much.  I sometimes wonder if the press to have the new and shiniest thing on the market as quick as possible is hurting the quality of products offered (that goes for all the brands probably).  With that said, I think they make some of the most beautiful and classic looking Irons in the business, particularly those of the players variety.  Even their game improvement irons, despite being packed with technology, often appear to have a more classic appearance than some.  Taylormade balls are also top shelf!  The TP5 line is competitive with its' Callaway and Titleist peers at the high end, and I'd recommend anyone looking for a Mid-Tier ball to give the Tour Response a try... Great ball at a not so steep price.  I've never tried their wedges, but I'm due to replace my current Vokey's this spring so I'm sure I'll give them a shot.

Callaway Paradigm 10.5

Ping 425 3 Wood & 4 Hybrid

Ping i525 5-U

Vokey SM9 56 & 60

Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

I am a huge Taylormade fan, especially in the woods department. My 1st TM driver was an R580 and just off the top of my head I count 7 different TM drivers I have played over the years. I currently only have 2 TM clubs in the bag, but have had full bags of TM at a couple different points in my golfing life.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cleveland-small: Zipcore XL 6-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :PXG:
 Mustang Battle Ready
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

My first "real" irons were the R9 - one of the early ones to use an internal face support structure and goo, I believe? I remember them fondly and should've hung onto them longer! 

After that, though, I saw them rapidly pushing out new product with goofy names and dubious reason to buy just to compete in a sales war .. that kinda soured my view of them since.

I did try the Stealth irons about two years(?) ago and for me they did not feel or perform vs others I was testing.

Edited by cksurfdude

WITB of an "aspiring"  play-ah...
Driver... 
Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W... Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W... Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H... Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H... Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW... 
Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW... 
Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter... 
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
.. all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
.. ball often, not always,
MaxFli Tour/S. Or a found Pro V1/x.
.. (
dark orange text = MGS Forum inspired selection)

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

Taylormade is undoubtedly one of the top tier golf brands. I have been fortunate that I have not had any issues with the quality of their products. I have seen it happen to friends and Taylormade customer service has replaced the items that got damaged. My experience with the brand has been great, I like and bag most of their products. They are by no means perfect, the TP5 ball lineup wasn’t that good up until this year, their wedges are great but I don’t think they are the best(at least for me), and I wis they would offer a non carbon face driver to give consumers a different option when it comes to Drivers. 

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 degree, Ventus black 6X

3 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus, Ventus Blue Velocore 7X

3 hybrid: TaylorMade Sim Max, Ventus blue 7X

Irons: P770 4-P Wedge 

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50, 54, 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

Ball: TaylorMade TP5 (2024)

I play their golf balls, which i think are very good and you can find reasonably priced.  I have one of their 56 degree Hi-Toe wedges  that I use as a primary sand wedge and I like that.  I am not against their brand or clubs, I think they are good quality and obviously great players use them.  What I don't like, and will not support (and this goes for others such as Callaway), is the constant coming out with a driver and then an updated version a few months later then another one 6 months later.  They might put slightly different names on them, but at those price levels, I do take offense to the way they jerk us around as a golfing community about how this club will change your game versus the one from 6 months ago.  I have said this before on here on GS,  but one significant reason I am loyal to PING (beyond their quality and premier brand as well) is that 1) they are family owned and therefore not big corporate business and 2) they have a longer cycle of release (at least historically).  I also like that their marketing is understated despite the quality of their products.  So for me I recognize the quality of TM but the constant releases and marketing hyperbole turn me off from the brand. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I think TaylorMade has a great brand reputation. Obviously they're in the bags of a lot of star players. I have P790 irons (2019 model) that I absolutely love. And I will often play TP5 or Tour Response balls and think they perform well. I do think there's something going on with quality as others have mentioned. You hear about driver faces or crowns coming off too often. This isn't an issue for the pros because their clubs get more personal attention than the mass retail market, and they can replace them on a whim. Also, I love the stripe balls they produce, but wish the printing was cleaner...they always look slightly pixelated. 

WITB: Titleist TS3 8.5, Titleist TS2 13.5, Srixon ZX Utility 2i - 18, TM P790 4-PW, Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58, Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

I have played with TaylorMade drivers for at least the last 10 years and have used their hybrids longer than that. I have tried other drivers but have never found one I like better. I think you also need to make sure you get the right shaft for your swing. I have a Ventus Velacore.

I've had a few TaylorMade drivers in the past, none have lasted me more than two seasons.  The face has caved on the drivers I've owned, I did enjoy their P770 iron's but after trying another brand was quick to move on. Same with their TP5/X, a pretty good ball but found better. They are in the Top 5 of golf brands and are one of the brands I recommend to people to try that are past the "beginner golfer" and looking to upgrade equipment.  They don't have the best of any piece of equipment for one specific golf item but they are always highly ranked and not a bad "bang for your buck"

I consider TaylorMade a top brand. I have always thought the woods or medals were the only clubs from them that I played. I like the newer irons available but I've never played any of them. I have hit a few but never been in my bag. I do play the M2 5 wood & M2 HL 7 wood 24*. These 2 clubs fit in my bag well. I've hit the TM balls & they are comparable to Titleist & Callaway but I always still prefer a Titleist Pro V1x. 

I completely avoid TaylorMade, from balls, to putters, woods, irons, driver. I once had a TaylorMade bag, but sold it on ebay.  They seem gimmicky, the stock shaft irons are, like Ping, always poor. They boast too many innovations and the product lines are confusing and subject to change without much notice.  They sell too many strange looking clubs many of which are not forged--a total prerequisite.  Perhaps they make a decent players blade, but they would have many rivals who do a better and easier job of customization.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

My first couple sets were Taylormade. Years ago had R7 CB Irons and Rac TPs then once I started playing again, had an M2 Driver, P790 irons and more recently Sim 2 Max Driver and 3W. After the Sim series, I think their QC really went downhill in their woods. I think they have addressed that in the Qi line a bit, but still prefer other brands at this point. Still a fan of their irons and wedges, although the only thing I would consider purchasing at this point would be MG4 wedges. 

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver; Graphite Design Tour AD UB-6 S

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3HL 16.5: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

default_ping-small.jpg G430 7w: Ping Chrome 75 S. Set to 20*

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg TSR2 5H: Project X HZRDS Red 85 S. Set to 23*

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png 0211 DC 5-G: KBS TGI 80 S

Cleveland.jpg.b864b0bf721691b75cd50b9ee634890e.jpg.b6dc20b7fb31f49c6385d2e9299c52ec.jpg CBX 54: Rotex Wedge; CBX2 Zipcore 58: Project X Catalyst Spinner 80 

Screenshot2024-06-20102640.png.8ddd17fe8171208d828937758e6ebd54.png M.Craft OMOI Type 06

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg  ProV1x ; Linksmaster Bag

Reviews: