Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2013 Driver Models - Which one?

JamesTucker

Every year we get inundated with multiple driver models from the top manufacturers and selecting/upgrading is becoming more of a challenge.  I've tried the demo days but often find it difficult to compare due to the "contrived" environment...maybe it is just me but interested to hear from others.  I mean go to any of the reviews and most of the top drivers and manufacturers have 4/5 star reviews and the "reviews" are often "generic" so how to really make a decision.

How do you all select the driver for you?

Well, I can name two places online that will be giving you honest reviews of clubs. MyGolfSpy and The Hackers Paradise. Everywhere else was paid money to write a positive review of the club. The Hot List is BULL$HIT! They give everyone a good review because everyone is paying them for one.

In reality, all the drivers of today have top technology and it's hard to make one that is truly better or worse than the others by more than a little bit. Shaft and loft fine tuning is where one will find the best results out of a driver.

Personally, I pick the stock driver that works best for me, buy it, use it for a while, and decide what more I want out of it. When I figure that out with my AMP a shaft upgrade will come...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

I wrote a big long essay of the different drivers and all, but the bottom line is the head and shaft and swing must be compatible. I have a Razr Fit driver that is an awesome driver but now that I have my spin under control I need more loft. I am changing to the R11 because it has adjustable loft, plus it starts out at 10.5 which is more than I have with the Callaway. I will say that to date, the Razr Fit has out performed the TMag R11s and RBZ, but none of these had the same shaft. Since I am putting the same shaft in the TMag, I will be able to campare the two. Tomorrow the TMag from RPJ2 is supposed to arrive.

I have two friends that just bought Ping i20's. They bomb these drivers but since the shaft and the loft are not what I need I do not hit these any farther than I do my Titleist 905R, that is 7 years old. (It does have 2012 shaft in it.)

So no brand or model will work better for you than one that is professionally fit for you.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Hey James - I'd echo what the boys have said to date -

I'd also ask - do you need an upgrade? What's the issue with your current driver? If you like the club would it be better to resolve the issue with a different shaft? A visit to your pro for some tweaking?

I'm asking these questions because often times I've wasted money on a driver for no reason -

My strategy is a bit different from the gents - I always go for last year's model (saves bucks) get it fit and have some spare change. But I'm also on a budget.

Good luck and please stick around to enjoy the fun.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey James - I'd echo what the boys have said to date -

I'd also ask - do you need an upgrade? What's the issue with your current driver? If you like the club would it be better to resolve the issue with a different shaft? A visit to your pro for some tweaking?

I'm asking these questions because often times I've wasted money on a driver for no reason -

My strategy is a bit different from the gents - I always go for last year's model (saves bucks) get it fit and have some spare change. But I'm also on a budget.

Good luck and please stick around to enjoy the fun.

Actually, I only have this years model because I won it here on this site. I usually stick with a driver and change the shafts. Look at my fairway woods. I have a 13* and 17* that are 10 years old and this is like the 20th shaft I have had in them. I am replacing this years model with last years model. However, it is not like either are garbage.

I don't know why I made it sound as if you guys where buying a new driver every year RR - for that matter I doubt anyone who's a regular here is doing that - too busy trying to watch the Rays, Giants, Yankees, learn to use my watch and keep track of my fantasy football guys.

Good thing I have the day off tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Please don't rain - please

I was going to say that's my tight end but it would be too easy for you Rick - wouldn't it - that was however my guy who just caught a 29 yard pass. Just saying

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I am saying nothing, because I am pretty sure it is a sin to tease a reverend about his tight end during the same week you have discussed his balls.:lol:

Well I just looked and teasing a preacher did not make the top 10 list of what "Thou shalt not do".

I would also endorse the MGS reviews as an excellent place to start.

Have put Adams Hybrids and Nunchuk shafts into play based on MGS reviews and the information was spot on.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

This is why I love interchangeable drivers. I can try out different shaft/head combo's with relative ease. Much easier than heat-pull-clean-glue over and over. Pick up some adapters and some shafts and have fun. You can most often sell the ones you don't like on "the bay" for nearly what you have into them anyway.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

This is why I love interchangeable drivers. I can try out different shaft/head combo's with relative ease. Much easier than heat-pull-clean-glue over and over. Pick up some adapters and some shafts and have fun. You can most often sell the ones you don't like on "the bay" for nearly what you have into them anyway.

Another reason to like the adjustable drivers is this. I have never hit the Callaway driver as well as my older Titleists. But on Monday I did two things, first I bought another driver. :P (Actually, I donated money and recieved a driver head.) But I also made a slight adjustment to the Razr Fit. I do not know which of the two had the greatest effect but I have hit that driver better than I have ever hit a driver. And I hit the driver pretty well normally. It was that with the Titleist, I just thought about where I wanted the ball to go and it went. With the Callway it did not alway do that. Now it goes where I want it and a bit farther due to the shaft.

The ability to make minor adjustments is really nice along with ease of changing shafts, however, once it is done there is no reason to continually change unless the swing changes.

Is there no where to go get fit James? A unfit driver, IMO is a huge liability in ones bag and is just begging to put the ball OB and run up your penalty strokes.

The only time I'll use unfitted clubs on the course is when I'm curious and want to test something. Mostly shafts so I can keep building my fitting catalogue.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Archived