Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

1913 Patent (Adjustable Driver)

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Thought you guys might like to see that they were even thinking about this back in 1913. Many designers go back to the expired patents from years past for ideas.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=wV5lAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

#TruthDigest

A little more about James Govan:

http://www.gapgolf.org/clubs.asp?cid=91

p072_01.jpg

James Govan was persuaded by Crump to leave St. Davids and join him in creating Pine Valley.

James Govan was born and reared in St. Andrews, where he apprenticed in the Forgan Brothers club-making establishment. Struck by a photograph in 1899 of the magnificent City Hall being constructed in Philadelphia—it is generally believed to be the largest French Renaissance chateau outside of the Loire Valley—Govan, then in his early 20s, decided to go to America to see this remarkable structure and perhaps also see what career opportunities might await there. Whether he actually spent any time working as a craftsman on the monumental building is not clear, but by the first or second year of the new century he was back in golf harness, at St. Davids.

In December, 1913, James Govan accepted Crump's proposal to become fore-man of the course construction and, then, the club's first greenkeeper and golf professional. A letter from Crump to Govan, dated December 15, 1913, makes clear that Crump was quite eager to have Scot on board: "Was pleased to get your note and to know you were to come with us March 1st 1914. I will not mention the matter to anyone at present except Dr. Carr, who is very anxious to know you decided to come. Would like it if you would come down this Thursday on the 1 pm train. There are some things about the course I wish to talk to you about. Bring my old club with you."

James and Margaret Govan and their three-year-old son, George, moved into a cottage beside the second fairway in early 1914. They had no electricity. Crump was the only other person living on the property, and for companionship he relied on his hunting dogs.

The two men worked together closely and harmoniously, each respectful of the other's intelligence and dedication. The sandy soil enabled them to shape the greens and bunkers boldly (Govan's upbringing at St. Andrews would have been extremely helpful in this connection), using large, horse-drawn scoops as well as many smaller, hand-operated ones. To prevent erosion, wild grasses and shrubs were planted. The greens were seeded with a South German bent, the fairways with a mixture of bluegrass and New Zealand fescue.

• SPY VIP

Thought you guys might like to see that they were even thinking about this back in 1913. Many designers go back to the expired patents from years past for ideas.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=wV5lAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q=&f=false

How do you find this stuff?

Almost 100 year old adjustable head patent.

Can you please take some time and look for the dinosaur in Scotland and that underwater city too?

Fully Impressed!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Archived