#1 dooboo

dooboo

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Handicap:15

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

So, I've been using a 46" long driver up until couple of months ago, thinking that the longer driver will give me few more yards.
Even Mygolfspy lab has done an article on this topic, however, I just was somewhat 'brainwashed" with major brands marketing/ads.

Of course, I was spraying the ball all over the place, very hard to control where my ball was going.

After reading the spy lab article, I decided to cut the driver length down to 44.5", and to see how that would play. I didn't do the "swing weight" mods, just played with cut down shafts. My driver accuracy has been so much better, even the bad misses are somewhere I am able to find a ball. Since ball travels straighter, I feel like I gained few yards off the tee as well. More I swing, more confidence it brings. I was, "man, why didn't I do this?"

Then visit the sporting goods store, I still find driver that plays 46"+ off the shelf. Why in the world would the club manufacturers still do this? Why don't they promote more accuracy off the tee than 10 yards longer?
My playing buddy who plays the 46" driver, tried mind and loved it. I told him to cut it off 1 1/2" off to make it 44.5, however, he still feels that with few more practice, he can get his driver to hit accurately and longer than if he would cut it down. Something about length of the driver and doesn't want to lose the "potential" distance he could get.

do you guys think that the shorter drivers will make a come back? I know even fairways woods are getting to that 43-44" range of a drivers from few years back.

I think this game is frustrating enough, I think club manufacturers makes it even worse, in my opinion. Average golfers just want to hit longer with longer clubs...I guess.

so, I want to know what driver length you hit to get some idea what people are hitting.
Driver: Snake Eye 9.5* Python XLD w/ AXE FW Regular, tipped 1"
4 Wood: Bridgestone J40 with AXE FW Stiff
Hybrid 19*, Acer XF, FST 115 Pro, stiff
Hybrid 25*, Bobby Jones, stock shaft, stiff
Irons 4-6: Tommy Armour, 845c silverback forged, R300
Irons 7-P: Tommy Armour, 845m Silverback forged, S300
Wedges: 56* Eidolon; 60* Mizuno
Putter: SC - Monterey 35", stock weight
Balls: B-Stone B330RX-S

#2 JBones

JBones

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,854 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Handicap:3.5

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

I play two drivers, one for tournament play and the other for bombing away. While I switch out the heads often, the tournament shaft I keep at 44.25" and the other I keep at 45"; those lengths change slightly when using different heads. I haven't found that I'm a whole lot more accurate, but I am hitting the center of the club face more, so my distance is more accurate. I'm only missing dead center of the face a couple times a round, opposed to only catching it 3-4 times a round at 46", and those that aren't dead center are only off enough to cost me a few yards. I have been playing those lengths for a while now; now that I pair those lengths with an accurate shaft, I'm hitting more fairways at a more consistent distance, which in turn has given me more confidence and has me playing great. As the labs article showed, the little distance given up with a shorter shaft is well worth the consistency gained.
Posted Image

#3 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Moderators

• 4,238 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

Last year I was playing a 47" shaft for the 1 in 50 shots that went really far. I went down to 46" and am now a hair shorter than 45". No way I'd go back to a longer shaft, I'm even considering trimming down my 3w so I can hit that better.

#4 stevenhw8

stevenhw8

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,165 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

I play 45" and it's great! On a bad day I'll choke down 0.5".
But I would never go over 45".

:adams-small: Speedline Fast12 LS 9.5* w/ Fubuki Alpha 60 S
:cobra-small: Baffler T-Rail 16* 3W w/ Cobra GD Tour AD

Deciding between  :adams-small: Super S 19* w/ Kujoh 75 S or Super LS 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: MP59 4-PW w/ KBS Tour S

DTG Inazone CNC Spin Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/ KBS Tour S
:yes-small: Callie 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star
:nike-small: M9 Cartbag / Clicgear 3.0

post-872-028340200%201372111404.jpg

#5 Flv02

Flv02

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 556 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

I love mine and it is 45". Been having trouble lately and choke down like Steven .5" at the most. Those are my personal maximums and minimums. 45 and 44.5.
Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+
3W:Cobra S2 14*
4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*
3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*
5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*
6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back
7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel
Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex
Putter: Odyssey Versa #9
Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

#6 BK in TEXAS

BK in TEXAS

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,862 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Handicap:13

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

44.0" Driver
42.5" 3 wood
41.5" 5 wood

I am much more consistent (both accuracy and distance) with the shorter lengths.

BK

In my bag, October 2014

Cobra AMP CELL PRO 10.5˚ Stock Shaft (Regular Flex)

Cobra Bio Cell 16˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Cobra Bio Cell 20˚ Fairway - ProjectX PXv Shaft - (Regular Flex)
Titleist 913H 24˚, 28˚ Hybrid -
KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)

Mizuno MP-52 6-PW; KBS Tour 90 Shafts (Regular Flex)
Callaway Jaws Wedges 52˚,56˚,60˚ DG Spinner Shafts
Nike
Method Core MC02w Putter

Titleist ProV1x 2014 Balls

Titleist Staff Bag

Clicgear 3.5 Push Cart

#7 apprenti23

apprenti23

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

45.5" driver here but im pretty good so don't have too many problems hitting fairways. Give me a club and I'll find a way to make it work. My 45.5 driver is made to my specs though so no need to change my swing to fit it. I miss fairways because of bad swings not bc my club is too long.

#8 R.P. Jacobs II

R.P. Jacobs II

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 7,045 posts
  • LocationThe Burgh
  • Handicap:2

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I play my driver @ 44.5" & I choke down 1/2" so my play length is 44"...I tried the Cobra Long Tom(48") for the hell of it & while it probably gave me 10-12 more yards, I hit 7/13 fairways vs. my ave. of 9.4/13....As I play a 5 yd draw on my driver, once I got acclimated to the length my misses were blocks right & while they weren't in the trees, they were in the heavy stuff vs my misses with my driver are usually right side fairway or the first cut...

Let's face it, as I said in another thread, the male ego is a powerful, dillusional animal....If a guy can't shoot par at least he's gonna knock the snot out of a couple of drives a round & even with evidence showing otberwise(MGS Labs, etc.), guys still insist on "longer is better"....

Fairways & Greens 4ever.....

What's Inside My Sun Mountain H2N0 Stand Bag:

-TMaG RBZ ST 2 Tour(Breast Cancer Pink Head by WalkerJames) 10.5*, Graphite Design Tour AD 9003 S(74gr)

-Adams Speedline XTD Super LS VST 3FM(Breast Cancer Fill) 15*, RT Tech Midas S(88gr)

-Adams Idea XTD Super LS VST Hybrid 19*, Fubuki AX 350

-Mizzy MP-68(4i-8i),TT DG TI S400, +1/2", +2*

-SCOR 43*,47*,51*,55*,59*, Genious 12 Firm +,  +1/2"

-Scotty Studio Select Fastback Custom 1.5, 35", 350gr HW(Not from the shop, notta Tour Issue/Circle T, just a poor ass retail model B))-Breast Cancer Fill

-Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compound Cord, Mizzy Blue/Black

-Stones Tour B330-S

-Shoes: A bunch, depends on my slacks, lol

I Am A Very Kind, Compassionate & Understanding Man......

Until It Is Time To Cease Being Kind, Compassionate & Understanding....

RP Jacobs II

#9 barbajo

barbajo

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,143 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:8.4

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

My 910 D2 is standard length - 45." Usually choke down about a half an inch at least -- sometimes more.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :callaway-logo-1:    XHot Pro, 9.50, Aldila Tour Green shaft, stiff
FW Wood:  :callaway-logo-1:  XHot Pro 2 Deep, 12.50, Aldila Tour Green shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :cobra-small: Baffler 170, 190 & 220, Graphite Design shafts, stiff
Irons:  :srixon-small: Z-TX 3-PW, KBS Tour shafts, stiff
Wedges:  Carnahan 520,   :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 560 
Putter:  Wilson Staff Special 1 Forged

#10 fairwaygolfusa

fairwaygolfusa

MYGOLFSPY (SPONSOR)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Handicap:4

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I play a 44.5 inch driver but recently got a driver at 45inches because I didnt see a huge difference in accuracy between those two.

Might as well use the the 45 than ya kno?

-Ryan
FairwayGolfUSA.com
facebook.com/fairwaygolf
Posted Image
Email: [email protected]
www.FairwayGolfUSA.com
Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

#11 Super Tuna

Super Tuna

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,581 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

44.5 for my driver
42.5 for the my 3 wood

My accuracy seriously goes down the longer the shaft gets due to my funky release. These are where we found the sweet spot for me.
I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

#12 Matt Saternus

Matt Saternus

• Members
  • 5,135 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

Been playing 44" or 44.5" for a number of years.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

#13 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,443 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:15 AM

45" because it's what I was fit for -

Like lots of others I tried the 46" stock shaft for a while - lost one of my best attributes which is driving accuracy for what? The pomise of a few yards. Frankly I hit the 45" just as far as the 46" when they're both flushed and I flush the 45" way more frequently than the 46". The bigger difference comes on misshits - because it's easier to swing the 45" properly my misshits are playable.

Go get fit, the fitter will get you into the proper shaft length, flex, kick point, head type, swing weight, grip size, etc., etc., etc. You'll think you went out and purchased a brand new club.
Driver TMag SLDR 12 Degree
Fairway woods Callaway xHot extremes
Hybrid Adams V4 23
Irons Wilson C 100 matrix studio 6.1 5-PW
Wedges SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite
wedge lies are 2 degrees flat, irons 1.5 degrees shafts 1/2" over standard
Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"
Bag. Nike Cart my best ever!
Ball Nike RZN Red

#14 RoverRick

RoverRick

• Members

• 5,193 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas
  • Handicap:2

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Then visit the sporting goods store, I still find driver that plays 46"+ off the shelf. Why in the world would the club manufacturers still do this? Why don't they promote more accuracy off the tee than 10 yards longer?

I think this game is frustrating enough, I think club manufacturers makes it even worse, in my opinion. Average golfers just want to hit longer with longer clubs...I guess.

Callaway billed the FT9 as the "Shotmaker's Driver". It supposedly gave players the ablility to "work" the ball. Well, I had one. I could work the ball with it. However, it allowed me to do it, my ablility came from good fundamentals.:D

The problem with marketing this way is that golfers are more worried about 300 yards drives than hitting the fairway. Which is OK because I make money off of those people all the time.:D

Bottom line, Distance claims sell. Accuracy claims do not sell.

To answer your question though, my Callaway Razr Fit Driver measures 46". I did hit every fairway (12) today, and was long and deep. This was not the case yesterday, but yesterday was not the drivers fault.:rolleyes:

Instinct Putting

2012 KBS Shaft Review

In my
:taylormade-small: golf bag today.

Driver -   :nike-small:Ccvert Tour / MRC  Kuro Kage Black / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Fairway Metals - :titelist-small: 980F 13 & 17*  / Project X  PXV / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Hybrid -  :benhogan-small:  CFT 21&24* / Project X  PXV  / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Irons -  :mizuno-small:  MP 53 5 iron/ KBS C Taper Lite/ Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips

Irons -  :mizuno-small:   MP68 6-P / KBS C Taper Lite / Best Grips Micro Perforated Leather Grips
Wedge- :vokey-small: Series 200 Oil Can 52 & 60* / Dynameic Gold  Wedge Leather Wrap Grips

Putter -   :cameron-small:  Coronado with BestGrip Major Leaguer Leather Putter Grip

Balls -    :titelist-small:  Pro V1x or :taylormade-small:  Project a or Tour Preferred
Shoes -   :footjoy-small:  M Project

post-14368-079422000%201371736688.jpg

#15 TwoSolitudes

TwoSolitudes

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationBangkok, Thailand
  • Handicap:25

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

The CG Black is 46 and so far so good. My Rapture V2 is 45.75 and I hit that pretty well for along time. I find that once I use drivers less than 45 I see a drop in average distance, while anything over 46 (Hello Cleveland XL270) just kills my ball speed numbers as well as my accuracy.

45-45.5 is probably the best fit for me overall. But its hard to find stock lengths at that length these days- and I just hate cutting down and putting lead tape on the head. A slight choke down does the trick.
In Play
Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench
Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      10 Sep
    hckymeyer

Played yesterday and it was 76 degrees w/ 5mph winds, today playing in 50 degrees w/ 15-20mph winds. Sometimes I hate MN

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Recent Topics

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors