Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Video swing self-analysis

GoDawgs34

Searched, but didn't find what I was looking for.

I would like to video myself at the driving range to check my swing. Does anyone have a setup that works well for them? I probably would like to do some basic work in the software such as drawing reference lines to check for sway, excess head movement etc. I have an iPad Pro, and would like as high of a frame rate as possible (not sure if that is software or device dependent).

Anyway, looking for any help or guidance anyone might have concerning tripods, apps or anything else you have found useful.

Thanks!

Mark

Using an iPhone/iPad is fine. small tripod also fine or anything else to ensure a stable height.  Key is set up looking down the line with the camera at address hand height. Same height for a face on view.

I use the hudl technique free app which gives you all the lines you want, slo mo and frame by frame. Very useful.

P.S welcome to MGS forums

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Using an iPhone/iPad is fine. small tripod also fine or anything else to ensure a stable height.  Key is set up looking down the line with the camera at address hand height. Same height for a face on view.

I use the hudl technique free app which gives you all the lines you want, slo mo and frame by frame. Very useful.

P.S welcome to MGS forums

I echo the sentiment above, welcome to MGS!

A couple of additional tips, make sure your face-on video is taken from pretty squarely in front of you, and that your down-the-line video is set up nearer to your toe line than to your ball-target line.

But a caution, what makes you believe that you have the expertise to diagnose your own swing issues?   I have no doubt that you'll be able to see whether you're flipping the club through impact, or coming over the top, whatever, but will you really be able to understand what causes those symptoms?   I'm not telling you not to video yourself, but in my opinion you should work with a competent teacher to evaluate the video, and to decide what changes you need to make.  There are a number of cost-effective ways to get this help online, including at least a couple of free options.  Otherwise, you might end up crawling deep into a rabbit-hole of self-diagnosis and correction, while never getting to the root of any problems.

Good luck!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have an iographer case and a cheap tripod that is nice but when I don't feel like bring that along a small gorilla pod works great

Software wise technique and v1 work well

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Welcome to MGS! You can sometimes get around needing a TriPod by standing it on top part of your golf bag but I know some people don't love that solution. Also I second the Hudl Technique app. Very useful and free is hard to beat

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I echo the sentiment above, welcome to MGS!

A couple of additional tips, make sure your face-on video is taken from pretty squarely in front of you, and that your down-the-line video is set up nearer to your toe line than to your ball-target line.

But a caution, what makes you believe that you have the expertise to diagnose your own swing issues?   I have no doubt that you'll be able to see whether you're flipping the club through impact, or coming over the top, whatever, but will you really be able to understand what causes those symptoms?   I'm not telling you not to video yourself, but in my opinion you should work with a competent teacher to evaluate the video, and to decide what changes you need to make.  There are a number of cost-effective ways to get this help online, including at least a couple of free options.  Otherwise, you might end up crawling deep into a rabbit-hole of self-diagnosis and correction, while never getting to the root of any problems.

Good luck!

All valid points.  I actually am working with an instructor.  He uses some simple lines to check for head bobbing, swaying and sliding, etc. during my lessons. I should be able to draw the same lines at address to check for the same things.  I would really be copying the same analysis my instructor performed to make sure I am learning/performing the new habits when I am practicing alone.

Thanks!

Another app I have seen used for drawing lines, etc., is Coach's Eye. My daughter's volleyball coach has used to slow things down, compare techniques, etc.

EDIT: Welcome to the site!

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Welcome!  If you have a grass range, you can just buy alignment sticks and stick one into the ground right behind you.  Tape your phone/case to the stick.  Quick and dirty way to do that instead of buying a tripod.  Hudl seems to be the popular choice.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

All valid points.  I actually am working with an instructor.  He uses some simple lines to check for head bobbing, swaying and sliding, etc. during my lessons. I should be able to draw the same lines at address to check for the same things.  I would really be copying the same analysis my instructor performed to make sure I am learning/performing the new habits when I am practicing alone.

Thanks!

Sounds like you're on the right track.  I've found that video is a great tool to verify that I'm following instruction.  In most cases, change feels awful, and ball-striking don't necessarily improve right away simply because you're making a positive change.  Being able to confirm that you're effectively making the desired change by seeing video can help you push through the discomfort and the bad shots to really make the change stick.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 7 months later...

Check out the mirror vision app on iOS. You use your iPhone as a camera (either down the line or straight on) and your iPad (or another phone) sits in front of you and gives you a real time view of what you are doing. I love it to check that I stay on plane. You can record swings, put line and circles down etc. I honestly don't know how people can practice without this type of feedback.

Here is a youtube video on it; 

Check out the mirror vision app on iOS. You use your iPhone as a camera (either down the line or straight on) and your iPad (or another phone) sits in front of you and gives you a real time view of what you are doing. I love it to check that I stay on plane. You can record swings, put line and circles down etc. I honestly don't know how people can practice without this type of feedback.
Here is a youtube video on it; 

$3.49 a month.... Many others that do similar things, as far as drawing lines, that are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 years later...

I have a tripod that holds either an iPod or IPad.  It has a bluetooth remote for starting and stopping the video.  A nice touch so you don’t have to watch yourself walking back and forth to the phone every time.

Put “iPhone tripod stand for video recording” into the search bar and a number of options will come up.  It also works for zoom meetings.  

Edited by alfriday101