Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bushnell Vs. GPS Rangefinders

Personally I'm a big advocate of lasers over GPS. IMO, they're more accurate and much simpler to use. No set up, no pre-loading/updating/buying courses, you know it will work anywhere, you don't worry about satellite coverage, you get distances to whatever you want (a tree, a rock, the pin, etc). Plus, you don't have to worry about charging it/replacing batteries. With most GPS, the battery lasts a couple rounds. The battery in my Bushnell gets changed once a year.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Agree with everything msaternus said. One more huge benefit: you can find out the exact distances to the flags on your driving range and thus find out exactly how far you hit each of your clubs. Knowing your exact distances translates great when you head out in the course. And I want the exact distance to the flag, not just an estimate calculated by using the distance to the front, back, and center of a green.

My only problem with lasers is with blind shots. I enjoy getting the exact yardage I want to something but if there's a giant ball killing lake over the hill and it's impractical to go look before teeing off, well that just sucks sometimes. Other then that, I quite enjoy them.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I recommend lasers as they are far more accurate (+/- 1yd with Bushnell) and much more versatile as mentioned above.

The fact you can measure to other objects - trees, bridges, bunkers, etc.) is a plus. Even GPS technology you pay a ton for in your car is not always accurate or fool proof. In most cases a player can estimate close enough for front and back yardages. As I stated, I recommend lasers by far to my students.

Agree that lasers are definitely the way to go. As a tournament player, you especially need to rely on a quick, simple way to gather yardages and bushnell's provide just that. In my experience with GPS rangefinders, they often take multiple steps to set up, and at times courses you are looking for aren't even entered into their software. GPS rangefinders are definitely getting more advanced, with better graphics, and satellite images, but lacks the simplicity that Bushnell's offer of a simple point-and-click to gauge your yardages.

• SPY VIP

I have both a Leupold range finder and uPro. When the uPro first showed up at my house I had a Bushnell and figured I would never use it again. Turns out, I never use the uPro. Don't get me wrong, the uPro features are really cool, but at the end of the day, I like the point and shoot convenience of the range finder.

There are generally 1 or 2 shots per round where I can't see my target, in those cases I have to rely on local knowledge (where I can), and my best guess, but otherwise it's the rangefinder.

Anyone interested in a barely used uPro? $125 shipped.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Archived