No3PuttLaLa

Wilson D7 Irons

Just saw an IG post that the new Wilson D7 irons will come stock with KBS Tour Steel Shafts. Thats a pretty good stock offering. The new heads look very clean too. And all for a price tag of $599.

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.938f5533dd56c8f8981483806c56f95b.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
IMG_1211.JPG
IMG_1212.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

These are actually the only clubs that I have an interest in trying this year.

They fit my profile

I would normally now add a crack about most of you being better than me because I believe most players don’t have enough help in their irons. The later statement is true according to a survey of fitters but I have no idea whom it applies to. The fact is your swing may do fine with a slimmer sole and more of a player’s type iron even if you struggle more with golf than I do.

What I have learned is that despite a lower handicap my swing profile requires a thicker sole for my middle irons, hybrids rather than long irons and more loft on the three wood. So I would get why lots of guys might turn their nose up at these.

I have a shallow AoA, it’s my swing. These would fit me. Whether it would be worth laying out 600 or I should just stick with the G30’s that i currently game is a separate question.

• Like 1

W/S usually does a great job with their shaft selection to help enhance the SGI capabilities of the D line. Coming in at $599 with those shafts is a smart move. 

• Like 2

Very nice looking clubs for SGIs. I see we're up to three rows of power holes now...

I love my C300s, and they seem to be more than forgiving. I'll have to head over to my shop this summer and take a look at how they compare.

• Like 2

I hit the 6 iron when GolfSpy_BarbaJo visited last month. As MGS’s Wilson Spy, he was giving the D7’s a run for their money.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

I hit the 6 iron when GolfSpy_BarbaJo visited last month. As MGS’s Wilson Spy, he was giving the D7’s a run for their money.

Well... How was it?

• Like 2

Well... How was it?

Very high launch......they were kbs steel and I use graphite so it’s hard to say. I like the look and believe they would be great with the right shaft.......maybe Recoils?

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).
  • Like 2

I enjoyed hitting them -- as Foz said, VERY high launching. Shaft is the Tour 80, so they're very light as well. But forgiving as heck and easy to hit -- Wilson did a nice job on the looks - not all blinged out or anything, and the distance was more than adequate. I'd like to try them with a Tour-V or C-Taper Lite.

• Like 5

I'd love to try them with their graphite offering. 

• Like 2

This is what is so great about all of the different equipment option out there now, what one person likes doesn't always suit the next and so on. I am a big fan of the KBS Tour Steel shafts in my irons which intrigued me that they were stock on these. I have Tour 90 vs these 80, but the high launch/spin has changed my iron game drastically, for the better.

I tried hitting graphite shafts and just couldn't get a great feel for them. They felt too whippy imo. But again, what suits me probably won;t suit you and vice versa. I love it!

• Like 2

FYI for you veterans interested, if you call Wilson's customer service number they will give you 20% off an order up to $1000 but it can't be customized. So I bought the D7s and paid $480 for them. Great freaking deal if you asked me. As my swing speed has lowered due to injury, the increased loft/trajectory has meant that my distances haven't changed hardly.

• Like 3

Very high launch......they were kbs steel and I use graphite so it’s hard to say. I like the look and believe they would be great with the right shaft.......maybe Recoils?

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

I believe that the recoils are the stock offering in the D7.

I hit one today in the 7 iron challenge. My current TM 7 is my 150 yards. The Wilson was 160+. So I could buy 7 iron up but my current set which is paid for has a 160 club. It’s called a six iron. If you are in the market, though, give them a swing for sure!!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, revkev said:

I have a shallow AoA, it’s my swing. These would fit me.

Can we expand on this a bit? I've been told I have a steeper than average AOA and that is why I have higher than typical ball height.  Fellow players are often amazed I hit a 8.5 degree driver - and still hit as high as I do.  What is it about the D7's, and similarly designed irons, that make them well suited to a shallow AOA? 

FYI for you veterans interested, if you call Wilson's customer service number they will give you 20% off an order up to $1000 but it can't be customized. So I bought the D7s and paid $480 for them. Great freaking deal if you asked me. As my swing speed has lowered due to injury, the increased loft/trajectory has meant that my distances haven't changed hardly.

Bummer, I need 2* Flat......

I'd love to try them with their graphite offering. 

Their graphite shaft offering is the UST Mamiya Recoil 460.........love that shaft.

Had my set resifted with the KBS C-Taper in matte black, with red ferrules and read and black Golf Pride MCC grips.  They not only look kinda baddass (well, at least different), the few swings I took with them the flight came WAY down, but they still had a nice, powerful feel to them. These are going to get a good going over this spring -- they do have some distance to them and if I can keep the flight down, they may prove to be useful. 😉

• Like 2

Had my set resifted with the KBS C-Taper in matte black, with red ferrules and read and black Golf Pride MCC grips.  They not only look kinda baddass (well, at least different), the few swings I took with them the flight came WAY down, but they still had a nice, powerful feel to them. These are going to get a good going over this spring -- they do have some distance to them and if I can keep the flight down, they may prove to be useful.

Stop posting in this thread - you are causing me to break several of the Ten Commandments! :)

• Like 1

they do look very very nice.... 

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. Hit them last Sunday and hitting them again this Saturday. Very nice clubs.

• Like 1