Stats and golf coverage

Our Sponsors

2 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

Isn't providing a false narrative on tour players' stats over-hyping it a bit? I mean all we hear about on the broadcasts are how far these guys hit it, and how good they are from here or there, and what a great putter so and so is. What if the stats don't actually reflect these statements? What if, by providing actual player stats, the broadcast could also give context to the distance debate and course design? 

My point is that I just enjoy watching the golf and don't pay too much attention to the commentators.  I have occasionally looked up specific player and collective tour statistics when I have need for that level of detail.  I don't need the television screen overloaded with that information. The shot/putt tracer is a nice feature.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

There are people that believe there is a formula to playing top golf.  That is the whole essence of what Scott Fawcett teaches from a course management/decision/emotion perspective with DECADE.  For every shot there is a single answer on how to play the shot and where to aim based on what is in front of you.  Some people like him others don't; but for someone into stats,  he is an interesting follow on twitter and has some videos on the topic on youtube.   He is working with Lou Stagner and uses Shotlink data as a basis.   his system isn't complicated,  but people allow emotion to change away from the strategy.  

I will have to look him up.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

Isn't providing a false narrative on tour players' stats over-hyping it a bit? I mean all we hear about on the broadcasts are how far these guys hit it, and how good they are from here or there, and what a great putter so and so is. What if the stats don't actually reflect these statements? What if, by providing actual player stats, the broadcast could also give context to the distance debate and course design? 

💯

Only way to change perception is with the truth. 

• Like 3

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 8:58 AM, TR1PTIK said:

Perhaps having the real stats in front of us might give us a better understanding of our own games, particularly in the area of expectation.  If we see that a touring pro is happy with a 21 footer from 150 perhaps we won't be so upset about hitting it in the fringe or if we start to know that he is only making 8 percent from 30 feet maybe we won't throw our putter the next time that we miss from there. 🙂

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

33 minutes ago, revkev said:

Perhaps having the real stats in front of us might give us a better understanding of our own games, particularly in the area of expectation.  If we see that a touring pro is happy with a 21 footer from 150 perhaps we won't be so upset about hitting it in the fringe or if we start to know that he is only making 8 percent from 30 feet maybe we won't throw our putter the next time that we miss from there. 🙂

But I'm still going to be upset because I WANT to hit the green... I don't throw my putter though.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

But I'm still going to be upset because I WANT to hit the green... I don't throw my putter though.

I hear you. My GIR% is trash. 😩

• Like 1

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I think we all WANT to hit every green but I also think this is where managing expectations is important, and where tracking your own stats can be very beneficial. If you miss a green with a club you hit, for example, 75% of greens with, you probably should be a little disappointed. But if you miss a green with a club you only hit, for example, 35% of greens with, there's no point in getting upset.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

13 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

I think we all WANT to hit every green but I also think this is where managing expectations is important, and where tracking your own stats can be very beneficial. If you miss a green with a club you hit, for example, 75% of greens with, you probably should be a little disappointed. But if you miss a green with a club you only hit, for example, 35% of greens with, there's no point in getting upset.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well, I understand your point, but it is also a matter of perspective.  Do you get upset because you know that you normally hit the green 75% of the time IF you put a good strike on the ball, but you shank it?  I'm a little more than disappointed.  I'm upset.

I don't need to track my stats; I know which greens I can/should hit and can't hit.  I'm not the best ball striker, and I miss a lot of greens because some I can't reach with a 3W/hybrid unless I hit a perfect shot.  Yes, I'm disappointed, but I am also upset with myself because i know that I made par less likely.  I suppose it would be different if I could hit driver-iron into every par 4.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”