2020 Official Member Review: SQAIRZ Golf Shoes

On 12/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I believe so, and I will in the next week get some actual LM data, between these and my FJ Pro SL, even though it'll be received by some as insignificant 🙂 

Just a curious question, knowing now that you also have FJ Pro SL's...................  

sizing of the two brands, similar or do the Squairz run slightly large to size due to the design...............

• Like 4

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TS3 9.5 & 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Tensei Blue 70S

Irons: Titleist T100 4 - P Project X 5.0

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron Phanthom 5.5

Ball: Pro V1

5 hours ago, rkj427 said:

Just a curious question, knowing now that you also have FJ Pro SL's...................  

sizing of the two brands, similar or do the Squairz run slightly large to size due to the design...............

Great question.  Bob told me they run similar fit to Footjoy.  

I would say in my case they fit very slightly larger than Footjoy.  Not enough that they don’t provide the stability that you need.  And if I was going err on fit, i’d rather be this tiny larger than the same amount smaller if that makes sense.

That said a 13.5 if they had it probably would have been perfect.  

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

So I used them for walking my round today. Well only 3 holes. I started getting blisters on my heels by the second hole, and had one of my playing partners with a cart take me to my car to change shoes . They would have been comfortable enough, and the weight was not bothering me, but blisters are a big problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I've played 6 rounds or so with them. I'm really liking the shoes, extremely comfortable and better stability for sure.  For my feet, the extra bit of space in the toe area really improves them greatly, at least for my feet.  These shoes are good enough that I'd buy another pair or 2 and replace some of my older shoes.  I just haven't found any downside to them.  Well built, nice looking and really comfortable.  

• Like 1

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G510 7 & 9 woods 

Apex 21 5-gap

Vokey SM8  54

Sub70 JB low bounce 58 or SM8 58*

PXG Operator H 

8 hours ago, 2puttbogey said:

So I used them for walking my round today. Well only 3 holes. I started getting blisters on my heels by the second hole, and had one of my playing partners with a cart take me to my car to change shoes . They would have been comfortable enough, and the weight was not bothering me, but blisters are a big problem.

I had that issue with Ecco and Oakley shoes I've had

Got my first round on the course with these during a weekend scramble. 

Full swings were a mixed bag as usual. Some good, some bad. Nothing noticeably longer or straighter than usual with regard to good swings. 

I'm still amazed at how much more confident these make me feel when putting. I would call myself a decent putter to begin with. I average between 31 and 32 putts per round, and, according to app stats, 1.7 putts per hole. I don't tend to grossly misread many putts and once I get a feel for the speed of the greens I very rarely feel uncomfortable over a putt.

Truly, the only thing I've done differently wearing the Sqairz is at setup to make sure my toes are aligned with the alignment markings on the putter after I set it to my intended line. This round I felt like I only hit two bad putts the whole day. On one I felt my hands rotate open and push the putt off line. The other I under-played a down hill and blasted it past the hole. Other than that, the putts I missed all looked like they had a chance to go in. My makes included a 35 foot downhill big breaker, and a more-or-less straight 25 footer. 

It's still early in the test, so I only have one practice green session and one on-course round to go by, but I am seeing some validity to the OEM's claim of the square toe aiding alignment, especially (for me at least) with putting. I will get more practice green time in to further test.

Jury is still out on the swing speed claims, but again, it's early and I'll keep trying variations of my earlier test to see what shows up in the data. 

• Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

With that latest review input posted, I'll ask a general question. Any of the other testers wishing these shoes breathed a little better? I may be the only one still with reasonably warm weather, but so far that seems like my only noteworthy complaint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GregB135 said:

With that latest review input posted, I'll ask a general question. Any of the other testers wishing these shoes breathed a little better? I may be the only one still with reasonably warm weather, but so far that seems like my only noteworthy complaint.

I'm in the Tampa Bay, FL area and haven't noticed that as an issue.  I honestly haven't found any negatives with the shoes thru 7 rounds.  

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G510 7 & 9 woods 

Apex 21 5-gap

Vokey SM8  54

PXG Operator H 

So I talked with Bob( owner of the company for those that don’t know) and it may be a sizing issue with the shoes causing blisters. I still have the 9 1/2 so I will give them a shot when I play again (and healed)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Larryd3 said:

I'm in the Tampa Bay, FL area

Me too! 

5 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Me too! 

Well, we need to meet up for a round of golf.  Please send me a PM and we can plan something.  

• Like 3

SIM2 autoflex 505

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G510 7 & 9 woods 

Apex 21 5-gap

Vokey SM8  54

PXG Operator H 

20 hours ago, GregB135 said:

I haven't noticed that at all, then again I've been playing in 60 and below temps the past couple rounds.  But they feel quite comfortable in all aspects. 

• Like 1

Me too! 

How about an outing? We haven’t played since January. We could grab Foz for a 4th and play inTampa somewhere
  • Like 4

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

1 hour ago, revkev said:

How about an outing? We haven’t played since January. We could grab Foz for a 4th and play inTampa somewhere

I was going to say you guys have pretty much a built in foursome down there.  I was hoping to make a trip down in January to visit and play some golf with a friend who lives near Brooksville.  But most likely I'll be waiting until COVID takes a big U-Turn.   But would definitely be up for a round with any and all of you. 

• Like 3

On 12/16/2020 at 7:01 AM, revkev said:

Always ready! Work schedule is pretty flexible right now. If I have advance notice I can try to plan days/times for work.

• Like 1

I got in most of 9 holes yesterday before the rain came. Wasn't a good ball striking day, so I can't attest to any help from the Sqairz other than they are comfortable and steady in the slightly wet conditions. I didn't stay out in the downpour, but even the light drizzle I played through saw no issues as far as waterproofing goes. Feet stayed nice and dry. 

And yet again, through 6 holes I didn't hit a single putt that felt or looked off my intended line. I will say that so far, at least the putting aspect of the Sqairz aiding alignment has some validity.

• Like 3

On 12/8/2020 at 7:17 PM, GregB135 said:

Today's session was testing the claim that Sqairz shoes can or will increase swing speed. 

My method. Wearing each shoe in turn, take 10 swings with swing speed measured by the radar device that was included with another training aid I've used. (initials SS). To be fair to the first pair of shoes, I followed up with another 6 swings at the end allowing for warmup and increased confidence etc. The good news was I was having a really good ball striking day so I think I got some good data and hit a bunch of really good shots. Also, the range was mats only today so that should have been providing max grip for each shoe and eliminated deteriorating turf condition as a variable. The bad news, mats only meant these are 8 iron swings. I'll try to repeat a version of this test later with drivers to see if the results hold.

Same contenders as tested for measurements. Johnston & Murphy XC4, FJ Freestyle, Addidas Adiboost Boa, and Sqairz Arrow. The radar reading in the photos is the last swing recorded for each shoe. Reported data is the average of 10 recorded swings for each shoe. Discarded outliers were for exceptionally poor contact or radar recording ball speed rather than club.

Johnston & Murphy XC4: Avg Swing Speed 77, max 86 min 73

radarJm.jpg.2b214fb425181a6c1dbe873e832136fc.jpg

Footjoy Freestyle: Avg swing speed 78.4, Max: 88 Min 73

radarfj.jpg.e9efc0b1d6b383f6e7a2a4c1efea3612.jpg

Addidas Adiboost Boa: Avg swing speed: 79.2; Max: 85 Min 73

radaradi.jpg.09aa0e70dff33b827e9131ae825dffdd.jpg

Sqairz Arrow: Avg swing speed: 80.78; Max 88 Min 76

radarsqz.jpg.fd6a32f151bc5bfdf53f00fcceac8877.jpg

I'll admit, going into this testing opportunity I was a bit skeptical of the added swing speed claim. I'll admit also to being a bit surprised at these results. Throughout the test I was doing my best to maintain consistency of effort and the results bear out the claim as "Plausible" in Mythbusters terminology. The average swing speed for the Sqairz was 3mph better than the lowest average and 1.5 mph better than the next fastest, along with having the most consistent speed range.

There were a few swings scattered throughout the test that I discarded because the radar picked up the ball speed rather than the club. On a couple of those the ball speed readout was 108 mph. On those few balls I could visibly detect an increase in distance. Same with the swings that measured 85 plus on the radar. Otherwise, the distances were all pretty close. 

Then I went to the putting green, and OH..MY..GOSH! But I'll write that part up separately and later.

Really great idea to test the shoes in this manner! Do you think the speed difference was due solely, Yes I just did that,  to the Sqairz tech or could some of that difference been due to well broken in shoes vs a new shoe, which has more stability?

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

55 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Really great idea to test the shoes in this manner! Do you think the speed difference was due solely, Yes I just did that,  to the Sqairz tech or could some of that difference been due to well broken in shoes vs a new shoe, which has more stability?

Thanks Hammer,

Since club head speed is the net result of about 6-20 different physics equations all happening in the swing at the same time, it's hard to say. Not being a swing robot, there is no way to eliminate all of the other variables from the gathering of club speed data as a human tester. While I was doing my best to maintain a level of data, at best it can altogether only be called inconclusive or plausible that the design of the shoe had any significance.

Weirdly enough, in the first trial (yes I plan on doing more), it was my newest pair of shoes that had the  lowest average. While on the other hand, my oldest pair of shoes tied with the Sqairz for the fastest single swing.

I'm planning to do at least 2 or three more trials using the same method. I'll include more of the data as I post those, with a little more analysis. If the results stay consistent, it wouldn't be a stretch to say the shoes can make a difference. We will just have to see what transpires with further testing.

• Like 5

Alrighty test fans.. I conducted another trial of the previous swing speed test. A couple of differences from the last time. I changed up the shoe order, used a different club (7-iron this time), and was on turf rather than the mats. Same generic method - recorded 10 swings with each, discarded a few outliers for really poor swings or the radar reading the ball (fewer of those today).

Trial2all4.jpg.c2e38bf4632889258180ab0508de55df.jpg

Addidas AdiBoost Boa: Recorded fastest single swing this time (also got a 110 ball speed readout wearing these)

trial2adi.jpg.a7c004ffe505abe211d3fbd0d8dc9138.jpg

Sqairz Arrow: Didn't repeat first trial results of highest average.

trial2sqz.jpg.84195f6c627cb937384347cafbeed421.jpg

Johnston & Murphy XC4: Saw very consistent swing speeds, but again had lowest average

trial2JM.jpg.4d0fb4c134ca12f376673c1ea36abad1.jpg

Footjoy Freestyle: Seems to be a steady performer despite being the oldest shoe model in the trials

trial2FJ.jpg.f0ba57cd677f9383086be45094d08ad7.jpg

And then there's the data:

714491435_SqairzSpeedTrial1.png.cdcbf80f0eecdb826078c3326cd0b27f.png

This time it was the lead-off Adiboost Boa's that came away with the highest average, perhaps skewed a bit by the one 88mph swing. Only the J&M's made me look like a swing robot with consistency of the speeds, while all three of the others had a spread of 13-15 mph between fastest and slowest swings. 

Being on the turf for this trial, I did place the ball on a tee to provide a consistent swing point for the radar. The turf wear under foot, at least in this trial, doesn't seem to make a significant difference. While the first shoe did result in the highest average, the second and fourth shoes were a virtual dead heat on the average.

I didn't putt today but here are a couple of other observations regarding the shoes. All of the lace up shoes maintained fit through the test, while with just the hand full of warmup swings and 13 swings for the test, I had to tighten down the boa laces once. Generic comfort goes hands down to the J&M. Between the test trial and attending a member clinic, I was on my feet wearing the Sqairz about 2 1/2 hours. I never even thought about having to adjust the sta-put laces, and my feet and legs felt really good afterward. 

Expect another trial on this test to have a larger pile of data to look at. While it doesn't yet look like we can verify Sqairz claim of being able to increase swing speed, the consistent performance (or lack of, if you will) it is at least looking plausible that shoe design can have an impact on swing speed.

More to come....

• Like 3

Question why is a shoe company supposedly known (hype)for wide sizes do not have any EE, EEE oe EEEE of for that matter any width sizes available? They say they might in the future when I contacted them also how do you buy them if you can't try them in a golf store first? Very risky as they charge you for returns.

Seems like a great shoe but it needs wide widths and better distribution network.

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.