Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hitting mat on directly on backyard grass (not perfectly level)

RDel90

Need a new hitting mat for my backyard net. I’ve read the MGS reviews and searched the forums, but always seems the mats are placed on concrete/hard level ground. Anyone use their mat directly on grass that’s not perfectly level and have suggestions what to get? Looking for at least a 3’x5’.

The thicker mats I’m worried would be too cumbersome to move around (not just going to leave it there and kill the lawn underneath) and the thinner foam backed mats I fear would not provide enough stance support or hold up long term.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

You're going to run into issues without something flat underneath it. You may be able to find one with enough cushion underneath to avoid it. However I put a hole in a mat after not much use by using it on just the grass. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

How thick was your mat? Was it like the Country Club Elite thick?

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

30 minutes ago, RDel90 said:

Need a new hitting mat for my backyard net. I’ve read the MGS reviews and searched the forums, but always seems the mats are placed on concrete/hard level ground. Anyone use their mat directly on grass that’s not perfectly level and have suggestions what to get? Looking for at least a 3’x5’.

The thicker mats I’m worried would be too cumbersome to move around (not just going to leave it there and kill the lawn underneath) and the thinner foam backed mats I fear would not provide enough stance support or hold up long term.

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I move my 5x5' mat to the back yard from my garage to hit 10-30 yard chips instead of tearing up the lawn with no issues. I try to use the flattest part of the mat and walk around on it to push the grass down, full swings could be a different story. My mat has a foam base so it is light enough to move and I've been using it for 2 years and its still in great shape. 

Highly recommend the product, the long fibre length easily takes 10-20 yards off fat shots. The foam is thick and you can brush the fibres so they stand back up if they get flattened from standing on them. 

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/4x5-5-star-zoysia-fairway-golf-mat/

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

7 hours ago, BMart519 said:

I move my 5x5' mat to the back yard from my garage to hit 10-30 yard chips instead of tearing up the lawn with no issues. I try to use the flattest part of the mat and walk around on it to push the grass down, full swings could be a different story. My mat has a foam base so it is light enough to move and I've been using it for 2 years and its still in great shape. 

Highly recommend the product, the long fibre length easily takes 10-20 yards off fat shots. The foam is thick and you can brush the fibres so they stand back up if they get flattened from standing on them. 

https://www.dwquailgolf.com/4x5-5-star-zoysia-fairway-golf-mat/

Really appreciate your comment. Made me feel more comfortable on giving the 5-star mats a look. Found a great deal on the 5-star Perfect ReACTION Golf Mat. 4'x5' and pulled the trigger. https://5stargolfmats.com/ 

p.s. also was going to go to the range today but wife wasn't feeling well which made me more eager to get a new mat sooner rather than later so I can swing.

I renovated a section of my lawn. Mow it short. Have a bucket with sand/dirt/seed mix to patch divots. Voila. No need for a mat. Only hit on it 2-3 times a months but it works well. Only down side is grass in the net.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

58 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

I renovated a section of my lawn. Mow it short. Have a bucket with sand/dirt/seed mix to patch divots. Voila. No need for a mat. Only hit on it 2-3 times a months but it works well. Only down side is grass in the net.

Would love to have went that route. But with working from home in Florida and my 17 month old naps right around lunch time, I can easily be out there every day. My prior mat was just a little 12"x24" so I was standing in my grass, and after 3 days last week, I really dug through the grass. Just too damp down here. 

If you run in to issues just get a piece of plywood cut to the same dimensions as the mat.  Then throw the plywood down first to create a flat surface for the mat to sit on.  Haul them both in when not using them.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I do the same as Bmart519 and take mine from inside the pole barn where i hit into a net to just outside where I can hit wedge shots up to 65 yards.  I just walk on the mat to flatten out any of the bumps the grass causes.  Mine is about 4' square and I wish it was a little lighter but its not too bad.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.